Menu

aging (55+), exercise, and joints

Sunshine State Sue

I'm 57yo and have been (as my husband kindly says) dedicated to an exercise program for many years.  Mostly, I walk with neighbors in the morning and/or evening and get to the gym 5+ times per week.  At the gym, I do a variety of yoga, pilates, water aerobics, kick boxing, weight lifting classes.  I stay away from the more challenging teachers.  I am reaching the older end of the age group in the classes, but there are enough of us that I don't feel out of place in general.

Lately, it seems that something on my body is sore all the time, typically a joint.  I've had discomfort in knees and shoulders on and off.  My elbow has been sore since May.  I was on vacation for 2 weeks recently (ie. disruption in the gym routine) and now I think my hip is giving me trouble. I limp a bit and any lateral movement of my leg gets my attention.  I've been sitting around with an ice back stuck down my pants which does help, but it doesn't seem to be going away either.  Nothing hurts enough for me to actually take something like motrin.  I'm not much of a pill popper.  I thought about going to see a doctor, but the one recommended to me does not take my insurance.  I'm not even sure what kind of doctor would be helpful.

I'm looking for tips.  If nothing else, commiseration...

Thanks.

I have a foot condition, and favoring the foot causes me trouble in hip and back. I also dislocated two ribs, and the resulting symptoms caused misalignment in other parts of my body. 

So, if you had knee issues and now have hip pain, I would start with a chiropractor to check the alignment of your spine and possibly get an adjustment. I found that extremely helpful.

Are you wearing supportive shoes? I notice that any tiny issue with shoes immediately translates into hip/back issues

ETA: I am with you on avoiding pain killers. However, they also have anti-inflammatory properties, so it may be worth taking some for that.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

Commiserating. I’m 55 and recently diagnosed with RA after trying to ignore symptoms for months. I’ve forgotten what it feels like to not hurt.  It’s hard to figure out the very fine line between doing enough and not overdoing. Too much exercise is a problem. Not enough exercise is a problem. Sigh. 

• Like 3

If there is swelling at the joints, I would check with a rheumatoid arthritis doctor. My mom’s RA results were positive two years after her joints started swelling. Xrays did show issues before the RA test turn positive. 

When I wasn’t able to straighten my legs without pain at the knee as a teen, Xrays were done to check for juvenile RA. My high school PE teacher was also trained in PT and it was helpful doing PT exercises during PE. Better than further straining my weak muscles doing sports during PE. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, regentrude said:

I have a foot condition, and favoring the foot causes me trouble in hip and back. I also dislocated two ribs, and the resulting symptoms caused misalignment in other parts of my body. 

So, if you had knee issues and now have hip pain, I would start with a chiropractor to check the alignment of your spine and possibly get an adjustment. I found that extremely helpful.

Are you wearing supportive shoes? I notice that any tiny issue with shoes immediately translates into hip/back issues

ETA: I am with you on avoiding pain killers. However, they also have anti-inflammatory properties, so it may be worth taking some for that.

Having a congenital back issue, I am no stranger to back pain (causes sciatic nerve pain). When I am trying to keep inflammation down, in addition to icing I take curcumin. It's known to have anti-inflammatory properties but is not as hard on the liver and kidney as acetaminophen.

1 hour ago, regentrude said:

The knee trouble was not recent, maybe a year ago, so I don't think it's affecting the hips now.  One weight lifting teacher has us squat in the center, right, center, left, and when we move back to center, she wants us to lift the outer leg high.  I think that's what did me in right after I returned from vacation. 

I did schedule an appt with a neuromuscular/massage therapist who helped me 2 years ago when I had a bad sprained ankle and the resulting compensation messed up other things.  I'm hoping he can help again.  I see a chiropractor regularly.

I am willing to spend more on shoes than ever before.  I haven't been able to make myself pay $100+, but I love the support of the asics, though I have to toss them out sooner than I used to.

I've got some super duper ibuprofen.  I'm tempted to try it out for 3 days or so to see if there is an improvement.

Thanks for your thoughts.

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

If there is swelling at the joints, I would check with a rheumatoid arthritis doctor. My mom’s RA results were positive two years after her joints started swelling. Xrays did show issues before the RA test turn positive.

No swelling as far as I can tell.  No doc has ever said the word arthritis to me, but I wonder if that's what's up with my fingers.  Stiff.

Yes, I'm active and broken down all at once. One of my part-time jobs is very physical; I helped unload a truck this morning and went home to Aleve and a nap. I have an ice pack on my knee right now. 

I agree with Superfeet insoles. I also have found trigger point therapy to be very helpful. Thankfully the gym we belong to offers small group classes as an add-on, and I've resigned myself to needing to sign up for it here-and-there. It costs less than physical therapy and works wonders for me. I went to class Monday sore all over, and walked out 80% better. I'll do the series on myself tonight and hopefully will be better tomorrow. I have another session Monday.

3 minutes ago, Sue in St Pete said:

The knee trouble was not recent, maybe a year ago, so I don't think it's affecting the hips now.  One weight lifting teacher has us squat in the center, right, center, left, and when we move back to center, she wants us to lift the outer leg high.  I think that's what did me in right after I returned from vacation. 

Hmmm... is your pain actually in the hip joint, or might you have injured/overexerted a tendon doing this exercise?

4 minutes ago, angelaguptathomas said:

I recently had Superfeet inserts added to my shoes and that seems to nave made a world of difference to the right hip pain I have been experiencing (my knees are beginning to pronate causing my naturally high arches to collapse).  I walk/jog about an hour almost daily and do a fairly intensive daily yoga practice. I'm 50 and have been at this for years and firmly agree that proper alignment is critical to stave off many aches and pains.

Yes, I have high arches, that I suspect are not so high anymore.  The foot doctor has talked to me about orthotics (sp?), but it seems so expensive.  Where did you get the Superfeet inserts?

I have had RA for about 12 years.  The best exercises I have found are water aerobics and Tai Chi. 

I have not done either in several years, though.  My Tai Chi instructor moved to China and I haven't found another one that I like.  And I have trouble with water aerobics because the water is always so cold.  

Soaking in a hot tub or taking a long hot shower seems to help with the achiness.

2 minutes ago, Sue in St Pete said:

Yes, I have high arches, that I suspect are not so high anymore.  The foot doctor has talked to me about orthotics (sp?), but it seems so expensive.  Where did you get the Superfeet inserts?

I cringed at the expense of custom orthotics, but but I find they make a huge difference for me.

1 minute ago, regentrude said:

Hmmm... is your pain actually in the hip joint, or might you have injured/overexerted a tendon doing this exercise?

I'm not sure.  At first I thought it was a muscle at the top of the thigh, like where there is a crease when I sit.  Someone said 'soaz' to me.  I'm not sure how to figure it out, thus the appt with the therapist.  Maybe he'll know.

3 minutes ago, Junie said:

I have had RA for about 12 years.  The best exercises I have found are water aerobics and Tai Chi. 

I have not done either in several years, though.  My Tai Chi instructor moved to China and I haven't found another one that I like.  And I have trouble with water aerobics because the water is always so cold.  

Soaking in a hot tub or taking a long hot shower seems to help with the achiness.

I did Tai Chi for a year or so.  Decided I would graduate to it when I couldn't do something more active.  Maybe it's time to get back to it...

Good idea about the hot tub and shower.  I've spent a bit of time in the sauna occasionally, but mostly I need to get out of the gym and back to work (from/at home).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sue in St Pete said:

I'm not sure.  At first I thought it was a muscle at the top of the thigh, like where there is a crease when I sit. 

Could it be bursitis? 

That would  cause a pain in that crease, where the leg starts, sometimes so bad that you double over when standing up and can only straighten slowly. It's an inflammation, can come from too much exercise. Anti-inflammatories help, and there are exercises one can do that really help it go away.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, regentrude said:

Could it be bursitis? 

That would  cause a pain in that crease, where the leg starts, sometimes so bad that you double over when standing up and can only straighten slowly. It's an inflammation, can come from too much exercise. Anti-inflammatories help, and there are exercises one can do that really help it go away.

Will check into it, though it's not bad enough double me over.   

Hi Sue - 

It sounds like you have a great overall exercise routine. You are getting some great advice here! Some other thoughts to consider that have helped me quite a bit.

- The psoas muscle (pronounced "soaz")  is worth googling to understand how it works and what it does. As well as its partner, the iliacus muscle. Together they are called the "iliopsoas," and represent the primary core muscle group in our body, connecting the top half of us to our bottom half :)

Many types of exercise "close up" the front of our bodies--tightening our psoas amd putting strain on hips/sacrum/lower back. These exercises include walking, biking, running, and anything that creates the position of a "crunch" or involves repetitively lifting the leg (walking does this). When that happens, it can manifest itself as low back or hip pain. I use the foam roller on the front of my psoas at least a couple of times a week, especially after long walks and teaching martial arts. Loosening that up may help. There are a variety of videos online that you can google to show you how to do this; it does look rather, um, interesting, when I do this, and massage therapists are usually not able to get that front area well due to "privacy" issues. 

These muscles are also the largest group in the "hip flexor" muscles at the front of the hip where your leg meets your body. They also help to rotate the leg outward laterally.

- Rest days. I do not like taking them but am seeing the value of them now. Sometimes 1-2 days off (or even more) may be just the ticket. 

- Avoiding sugar and grains has made a huge difference in how my body feels and functions. I know it is not for everyone, but avoiding these foods apparently decreases soft tissue inflammation throughout my body. Huge difference.

- Chiropractor - keep up with this~mine has made a big difference in how I feel overall and athletically. Have your chiro check to make sure your sacrum is properly aligned. I can now tell when mine pops out and can usually get it back by myself. Whenever it goes out of alignment, I experience low back pain/pulling on one side.

Hope these thoughts are helpful!

• Like 2

One more thought - McDavid makes great support braces for most joints. Usually they offer braces in a variety of support "levels." For my knees in particular, I have found their support braces super helpful in reducing lateral wear and tear on my knees. I don't use them all the time or for all exercise activities, but if my knees seem to be bothering me, wearing them helps a lot for martial arts and long walks. No pain then afterward.

And it sounds like you don't do high impact exercising any more, but just in case you do, reducing/eliminating that may help as well.

I admire your long history of dedication to fitness.  Other than walking, I have not had your history and just starting at a gym has been painful.  So, I did see a sports medicine doc recently for achilles tendonosis.  He said that at my age (56) and hormone stage (post menopause), I need more recovery time.  He suggested taking a full day off between activities....unless I'm doing upper body one day and lower body the next.  He also suggested staying off the treadmill due to the foot/ankle/leg problem but rather walk a track or neighborhood or trail. 

Basically he said to be kinder to my body.  Give it more time to recover.  Drink more water.  He suggested massages, ice when needed, foam rolling (with caution on damaged areas). My massage therapist suggested Propel or some other form of mild electrolyte water. 

Do you have a sports medicine doc you could see?  Or even your GP might have some guidance for you.  Remember any injury will be slower to heal at our age.  And progress can be at a different pace too

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tampamommy said:

Hi Sue - 

It sounds like you have a great overall exercise routine. You are getting some great advice here! Some other thoughts to consider that have helped me quite a bit.

- The psoas muscle (pronounced "soaz")  is worth googling to understand how it works and what it does. As well as its partner, the iliacus muscle. Together they are called the "iliopsoas," and represent the primary core muscle group in our body, connecting the top half of us to our bottom half ?

Many types of exercise "close up" the front of our bodies--tightening our psoas amd putting strain on hips/sacrum/lower back. These exercises include walking, biking, running, and anything that creates the position of a "crunch" or involves repetitively lifting the leg (walking does this). When that happens, it can manifest itself as low back or hip pain. I use the foam roller on the front of my psoas at least a couple of times a week, especially after long walks and teaching martial arts. Loosening that up may help. There are a variety of videos online that you can google to show you how to do this; it does look rather, um, interesting, when I do this, and massage therapists are usually not able to get that front area well due to "privacy" issues.

These muscles are also the largest group in the "hip flexor" muscles at the front of the hip where your leg meets your body. They also help to rotate the leg outward laterally.

- Rest days. I do not like taking them but am seeing the value of them now. Sometimes 1-2 days off (or even more) may be just the ticket. 

- Avoiding sugar and grains has made a huge difference in how my body feels and functions. I know it is not for everyone, but avoiding these foods apparently decreases soft tissue inflammation throughout my body. Huge difference.

- Chiropractor - keep up with this~mine has made a big difference in how I feel overall and athletically. Have your chiro check to make sure your sacrum is properly aligned. I can now tell when mine pops out and can usually get it back by myself. Whenever it goes out of alignment, I experience low back pain/pulling on one side.

Hope these thoughts are helpful!

Thanks for the info, tampamommy.  There are foam rollers at the gym.  I"ll check out the videos and find a private place to give it a try.  Yes, I'm kinda nervous about the location and "privacy" issues with the therapist, but I feel a need to do something, and he was really knowledgeable and helpful a few years ago.

Would a rest day mean no walking with neighbors morning and/or evening in addition to no gym?  I'm a little OCD...

I eat whole food, plant based .  The extent of my sugar is a single scoop of ice cream on the weekend.  Well, okay, sometimes there are 2oz dark chocolate covered raisins mid-week.  The grains I eat are mainly whole - oats, rice, quinoa, millet, buckwheat.  Do you think they cause/exacerbate inflammation or just the processed grains that are so prevalent?

For me personally, all grains seem to be problematic...even the "good ones" you mentioned. I know some folks would say that is crazy talk, but I have found it to be true for my particular biochemistry. I just know those foods don't work in my body. I love the foods I do eat, and my doctor recently told me my "physical age" is much younger than my actual age, so I guess it has worked well for me. 

LOL on the ice cream. My favorite food in the world. Yes, once in a while I indulge, but I know I will pay for it, so if I decide to go for it, I thoroughly enjoy it and then put up with the aches and pains for a couple of days. :)

Yup, sorry to say it but in the past 3-5 years, rest for me means no walking. I used to call my walking days "rest days." But I have FORCED myself to take complete rest days which means I do not exercise. At all. I do my little 5 minute stretch in the morning and that is it. I fully understand how difficult this is! On those days, I try to have other stuff to keep me busy during the time I'd usually be exercising and that is helpful. 

Feel better, Sue!

Warning:  A sports medicine doctor also treats major league football players and such.

I went to one for a knee problem when I was young, thin, and quite fit, and his recommendations were so aggressive that they made it worse.

Personally I am loving my gentle chiro (Directional Non-Force is the phrase that pays) and my myofascial release therapist as well as occasional treatments of acute stuff by my acupuncturist.  The sad thing is that I know if I could score a big bottle of prednisone it would kick out all the inflammation for quite some time, but it's hard to get that stuff and it has a lot of ancillary side effect, not to be taken lightly.  But I know that it's the reset trigger I can pull if things get much worse.

15 hours ago, Sue in St Pete said:

I'm 57yo and have been (as my husband kindly says) dedicated to an exercise program for many years.  Mostly, I walk with neighbors in the morning and/or evening and get to the gym 5+ times per week.  At the gym, I do a variety of yoga, pilates, water aerobics, kick boxing, weight lifting classes.  I stay away from the more challenging teachers.  I am reaching the older end of the age group in the classes, but there are enough of us that I don't feel out of place in general.

Sue, you've received wonderful tips already. I'm 50 and my body is definitely changing. I feel more pain and am dealing with neck and hand issues at the moment. The physiotherapist I'm seeing is superb. Hoping that things continue to improve. He has instructed me to not lift weights for now. Nothing strenuous whatsoever. I can't even get a massage that's too firm. 

Have you heard of Classical Stretch? You may have seen some episodes on PBS. I used to do her workouts far more regularly. I'm now starting again. I don't know why I stopped. I've decided now that I'm 50 and feeling some pain, to have CS be the core of my workout, to try to do at least one routine (25 minutes) every day. Trying anyway. I'm not trying to be pushy or anything. Just a program that may be of interest to you or others who are experiencing pain. The DVDs seem expensive at first, but many workouts are included in each one. I am considering streaming. Here are some short video clips, but I don't think that these really do justice. I wasn't crazy about CS at first. There's a bit of a learning curve involved, but after a short while, every time I return to it, I have always noticed a difference in so many ways. Again, I don't know why I stopped! 

Hoping that your pain eases soon. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Negin said:

Sue, you've received wonderful tips already. I'm 50 and my body is definitely changing. I feel more pain and am dealing with neck and hand issues at the moment. The physiotherapist I'm seeing is superb. Hoping that things continue to improve. He has instructed me to not lift weights for now. Nothing strenuous whatsoever. I can't even get a massage that's too firm. 

Have you heard of Classical Stretch? You may have seen some episodes on PBS. I used to do her workouts far more regularly. I'm now starting again. I don't know why I stopped. I've decided now that I'm 50 and feeling some pain, to have CS be the core of my workout, to try to do at least one routine (25 minutes) every day. Trying anyway. I'm not trying to be pushy or anything. Just a program that may be of interest to you or others who are experiencing pain. The DVDs seem expensive at first, but many workouts are included in each one. I am considering streaming. Here are some short video clips, but I don't think that these really do justice. I wasn't crazy about CS at first. There's a bit of a learning curve involved, but after a short while, every time I return to it, I have always noticed a difference in so many ways. Again, I don't know why I stopped! 

Hoping that your pain eases soon. 

I streamed CS for about a year and really loved the workouts. Most seemed easy to do but made me feel SO good! I did recently cancel my streaming subscription because her chatter was really getting on my nerves, and neck issues were making it difficult for me to follow anything on a screen. But I highly recommend it and will likely go back to it again myself in the future. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Negin said:

Have you heard of Classical Stretch? You may have seen some episodes on PBS.

Yes, CS is so good to begin the day, whether more activities are in store for exercise or a quiet day.  Just seems to loosen it all up so other activities don't do damage. 

Streaming got expensive, I purchased their DVD, Essentrics The Ultimate Stretch Workout  and do a 15 minute targeted stretch each day (usually spine for me).

Hope you feel top notch soon!

Edited by Familia
  • Like 1

I'm 54 with similar problems. My routine now consists of nordic walking, stationary recumbent bike and gentle Pilates. When I overdo it I rub on some Voltaren or take an Advil but not very often. I found several visits to an osteopath to be helpful. I would love to get a massage. A doctor friend just recommend that I take a good B-vitamin supplement, Omega-3, and a powdered Magnesium supplement that you mix in water. I ordered them online and am waiting for them to arrive. I hope you find a solution.

• Like 1

I'll commiserate with you.  I'm 55 and I hurt all over, every day.  I've really struggled ever since my ankle injury over 2 years ago.  It has gotten worse since my daughter left and I don't have a regular exercise routine.  I walk the dog for 45 minutes a day and stretch, but I'm not getting the other stuff in.  I'm getting some pretty serious arthritis pain in that ankle, which has messed up my other hip and thus, my back.   I'm afraid to go to any group classes because I fear I'll hurt something worse.  I had planned to join this one yoga studio because I loved their teachers and they didn't seem to be an athletic competition disguised as yoga.  But, they seem to have reduced the number of yoga classes that were accessible to people with broken bodies.  I watch my 85 year old neighbor on her knees gardening for hours, walking 3 miles, mowing her own lawn, and I feel like such a schlump.  

My suggestion would be to find a sport medicine minded chiropractor.  They are much more interested in functional mechanics, healing the injured parts while strengthening supporting areas (kind of sports medicine, chiropractic, massage therapy, and PT all rolled into one.)  Also, you might find a restorative yoga class helpful with your type of hip pain.  

12 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Warning:  A sports medicine doctor also treats major league football players and such.

I went to one for a knee problem when I was young, thin, and quite fit, and his recommendations were so aggressive that they made it worse.

Personally I am loving my gentle chiro (Directional Non-Force is the phrase that pays) and my myofascial release therapist as well as occasional treatments of acute stuff by my acupuncturist.  The sad thing is that I know if I could score a big bottle of prednisone it would kick out all the inflammation for quite some time, but it's hard to get that stuff and it has a lot of ancillary side effect, not to be taken lightly.  But I know that it's the reset trigger I can pull if things get much worse.

Yeah....I'm very blessed with my sports medicine doc.  He treats "regular folks" as well as athletes. 

20 hours ago, tampamommy said:

Avoiding sugar and grains has made a huge difference in how my body feels and functions. I know it is not for everyone, but avoiding these foods apparently decreases soft tissue inflammation throughout my body. Huge difference.

Lower-carb is a winner for me. I'm nowhere near sugar- or grain-free, but a substantial reduction of simple carbs has helped inflammation and general aches and pains a lot. I didn't know about the possible connection when I went lower-carb, I was just putting on some Aspercreme one day and suddenly realized it had been a really long time since I had last done so! 

17 hours ago, Sue in St Pete said:

Would a rest day mean no walking with neighbors morning and/or evening in addition to no gym?  I'm a little OCD...

For you, a rest day can definitely mean no gym but still walking. Even twice a day is probably fine, unless your neighborhood group is particularly aggressive, lol. 

2 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Turmeric and compression sleeves are my favorites to add.  They allow me to continue my exercise routine and do modified TKD. 

Turmeric is amazing. For those not familiar with it, you can get capsules and you take it every day as a supplement (you don't take it in response to pain). You can also apply topically to wounds. My personal experience with it: it quickly improved and then healed an infected puncture wound dh had, it helps me and my sister with inflammation, it enabled my b-i-l to go off of blood pressure meds (not overnight). 

I also recently added a heated foam roller.  Feels amazing!  And I changed ALL my regular shoes.  I bought a new pair of Keen H2 (my old pair was at least 10 years old) for daily wear, a designated cross training pair of shoes....no walking, just weights, gym classes, elliptical, and new walking shoes for...well...walking. 

8 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Epsom salts in a warm bath are great for joints, too.

They are, and it made me think of my other favorite remedy: my Intex hot tub. Considerably less money (>$400) and space than what a standard hot tub requires. This is the one we have: 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HHO0IEU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All four of us have used it at the same time, but dh and I are short and my kids are adult but elfin-sized, so I'd say two standard-sized or bigger adults can stretch out comfortably. We turned off the heat for summer and use it that way sometimes. 

• Like 1

Ok, I'm not going to lie.  You kind of depressed me.  I'm not 50 yet and I already have that pain. ? ?

I told my dh last night that I now feel old and as if getting older is not going to go well for me. ??

I've been working out consistently for 10 years.  I recently added lifting so I think that's what's making my hips feel extra stiff and sore.  I've been rolling, stretching, taking rest days, and nothing seems to help a whole lot, though I do feel better when I do all of that compared to when I don't. 

Hope you find a solution.  When you do, please come and share.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Negin said:

I have not heard of Classical Stretch.  The videos look great.  Thanks for the idea.  I'd love to find a class like that. 

I have never been able to sustain any form of exercise that I practice alone for a long period of time.  I need to get out of the house and away from the cooking, the laundry, the yard work, paid employment (from home) and all the rest that calls to me.  I'm a (shy) extrovert working from home.  Exercise is one thing I want to do with other people. 

Oh.  They do have classes!  The closest one is an hour away from me.

Edited by Sue in St Pete
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Sue in St Pete said:

I have not heard of Classical Stretch.  The videos look great.  Thanks for the idea.  I'd love to find a class like that. 

I have never been able to sustain any form of exercise that I practice alone for a long period of time.  I need to get out of the house and away from the cooking, the laundry, the yard work, paid employment (from home) and all the rest that calls to me.  I'm a (shy) extrovert working from home.  Exercise is one thing I want to do with other people. 

Oh.  They do have classes!  The closest one is an hour away from me.

Sue, an hour is far, at least by my standards, since we live on a small island, but I hope that you do get to go to classes eventually, or at least find something to help relieve the pain. 

15 hours ago, Fifiruth said:

I have a couple if DVDs of Classical Stretch routines (about 30, 20-min. workouts per DVD,) and I really think that it has helped me be more mobile. A YouTube channel called HASfit is my new favorite. I use 3-lb weights and do the 15-min. Senior Workout. After 5 years of Classical Stretch, my body seemed to need a change so I added this in. 

I’m 56, and I’ve had chronic knee pain for about ten years.

Thank you for the YouTube suggestion. I'm going to look into it. I'm always looking for good YouTube workouts. 

On 9/22/2018 at 8:15 AM, Pawz4me said:

I streamed CS for about a year and really loved the workouts. Most seemed easy to do but made me feel SO good! I did recently cancel my streaming subscription because her chatter was really getting on my nerves, and neck issues were making it difficult for me to follow anything on a screen. But I highly recommend it and will likely go back to it again myself in the future. 

Chatter annoys me also. It's one reason that I can't do Leslie Sansone as much as I used to be able to. I have all her workouts memorized now and it can be annoying! If I do decide on streaming, it may be for a short while. I have most of their DVDs. 

23 hours ago, Familia said:

Yes, CS is so good to begin the day, whether more activities are in store for exercise or a quiet day.  Just seems to loosen it all up so other activities don't do damage. 

Streaming got expensive, I purchased their DVD, Essentrics The Ultimate Stretch Workout  and do a 15 minute targeted stretch each day (usually spine for me).

Hope you feel top notch soon!

Another reason that I'm not a huge fan of streaming - the cost. It's almost like paying rent and then you have nothing to show for it. At least with DVDs, which are sadly on their way out, we can have them forever. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, regentrude said:

Does it also work if used as a spice in food?

Yes, but I agree with PP must be used all the time and the best bioavailabilty is taking with something fat.  Black pepper also (I can't use that anymore since I found out it causes microbleeds and I already am on blood thinners).  Also, turmeric is not really what you want - you really want curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric.  I take 450 mg 3 times a day,  

21 hours ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

I'll commiserate with you.  I'm 55 and I hurt all over, every day.  I've really struggled ever since my ankle injury over 2 years ago.  It has gotten worse since my daughter left and I don't have a regular exercise routine.  I walk the dog for 45 minutes a day and stretch, but I'm not getting the other stuff in.  I'm getting some pretty serious arthritis pain in that ankle, which has messed up my other hip and thus, my back.   I'm afraid to go to any group classes because I fear I'll hurt something worse.  I had planned to join this one yoga studio because I loved their teachers and they didn't seem to be an athletic competition disguised as yoga.  But, they seem to have reduced the number of yoga classes that were accessible to people with broken bodies.  I watch my 85 year old neighbor on her knees gardening for hours, walking 3 miles, mowing her own lawn, and I feel like such a schlump.  

My suggestion would be to find a sport medicine minded chiropractor.  They are much more interested in functional mechanics, healing the injured parts while strengthening supporting areas (kind of sports medicine, chiropractic, massage therapy, and PT all rolled into one.)  Also, you might find a restorative yoga class helpful with your type of hip pain.  

Don't feel like a schlump.  As someone who hasn't been able to do many of these kinds of things for a long, long time (about 25 years) (I can do 3 miles walks on good days but that isn't an everyday thing at all,)    I have developed pretty thick skin in terms of my psyche and try to not let such limitations bother me.  In this country much more so than others I have visited, we are worshippers of so-called fitness and exercise. Walking the dog for 45 min and stretching sounds like you are doing great with exercising. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

Don't feel like a schlump.  As someone who hasn't been able to do many of these kinds of things for a long, long time (about 25 years) (I can do 3 miles walks on good days but that isn't an everyday thing at all,)    I have developed pretty thick skin in terms of my psyche and try to not let such limitations bother me.  In this country much more so than others I have visited, we are worshippers of so-called fitness and exercise. Walking the dog for 45 min and stretching sounds like you are doing great with exercising. 

My issue isn't with not being fit (meaning exercising and being athletic) but being active, mobile, and functioning.  Granted, I don't particularly like gardening and yard work.  I would like to be able to do housework and not feel like crap afterwards.  I would like to be able to do something enjoyable and not feel like I need a nap.  

• Like 3

On 9/21/2018 at 4:18 PM, tampamommy said:

- The psoas muscle (pronounced "soaz")  is worth googling to understand how it works and what it does. As well as its partner, the iliacus muscle. Together they are called the "iliopsoas," and represent the primary core muscle group in our body, connecting the top half of us to our bottom half ?

I noticed yesterday that my left leg seemed longer than my right leg.  Today, I googled psoas muscle and found this. 

Your body will tell you what your psoas ultimately needs.  Here are 7 ways to tell if you have a psoas muscle imbalance:

1. Leg length discrepancy. A tight psoas muscle can cause your pelvis to rotate forward.  This, in turn, can cause an internal rotation of your leg on the affected side. The opposite leg will rotate externally in an effort to counter-balance. This will make the affected leg longer so that every time you take a step, it drives your leg up into your hip socket.  This can lead to functional leg length discrepancy.

I'm going to wear my bathing suit to the therapist's office tomorrow.  :blink:

Edited by Sue in St Pete

On 9/21/2018 at 2:18 PM, Pawz4me said:

Commiserating. I’m 55 and recently diagnosed with RA after trying to ignore symptoms for months. I’ve forgotten what it feels like to not hurt.  It’s hard to figure out the very fine line between doing enough and not overdoing. Too much exercise is a problem. Not enough exercise is a problem. Sigh. 

Commiserating here too. I'm still 62 for six more weeks. I don't have RA but have disc problems and the bolded is also true for me. I also have recurring piriformis syndrome. Walking helps my back. Walking to much or too far aggravates my piriformis. 

My problems aren't age related since they started when I was 41, but age definitely has made things worse. It used to be just my back but now my hips hurt and sometimes my knees.

Stay active. Try to find your limit and don't push it to the pain level. Not easy, I know. Just know you're not alone.

• Like 2

On 9/23/2018 at 8:03 AM, TravelingChris said:

Yes, but I agree with PP must be used all the time and the best bioavailabilty is taking with something fat.  Black pepper also (I can't use that anymore since I found out it causes microbleeds and I already am on blood thinners).  Also, turmeric is not really what you want - you really want curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric.  I take 450 mg 3 times a day,  

I've also read that heating it (or adding it to something that is warm) can help with the absorption (as well as taking it with fat).