Menu

Dr. Hive: Visiting a home with a cat and having cat allergies

Hyacinth

We're visiting my mom. She has a new (to her) cat. My son (17) is allergic. We've been here a day and he's already got the wheezing and itchy eyes and stuffy head happening. Despite the physical symptoms, he's also having a GREAT time with his cousins and doesn't want to leave early or consider sleeping in a hotel room instead of here. 

My questions:

If he takes Zyrtec every day already, is it safe to add Benadryl or another OTC med for a few days?  

Left untreated, what's the worst that happens? We'll be home (and be pet-free) in three more days  

• Like 1

I would also use a saline misting nose spray a few times throughout the day. Similasan makes allergy eye drops that would be great to use a few times a day as well. 

If he's able to sleep in a room that you could close off, I would also clean the room where he's sleeping very well (vacuum and wash down all surfaces) and rewash all the bedding. Then I would have him shower each night before bed. 

• Like 4

Is he already taking the Zyrtec and still having problems, or not taking anything yet?

If the latter... my DH is allergic to dogs. We visited his brother who has 2 dogs who are allowed all over the house and DH forgot to take Zyrtec the morning we left. We were there about an hour and DH had terrible symptoms. He took a Zyrtec and in a few hours was fine. 

All of this to say, if your son isn't taking a anything yet, definitely get some Zyrtec, then evaluate flare ups if they come up.

Edited by carriede

2 hours ago, Hyacinth said:

Left untreated, what's the worst that happens? We'll be home (and be pet-free) in three more days  

With the symptoms you describe, my asthma would be going bonkers, and I'd probably have asthmatic bronchitis and be totally unable to function. If I'm wheezing, I'm half dead--my asthma doesn't wheeze until all heck has broken loose.

He should be able to take another OTC med--I've been give clearance for years to take multiple kinds. 

how well a place is cleaned and ventilated can affect how much I'm affected.     I been in homes where I wasn't affected - and ones where my eyes were running/nosedripping/coughing within minutes of walking in the door.

make sure he's getting plenty of fresh air as well, and playing outside as much as possible with the other kids.

You have already gotten some great advice.

I am also allergic to cats.  (((hyacinth's ds)))

He absolutely needs a cat-free place to sleep.  Clean a bedroom and keep the cat out.  Also agreeing with the fresh air and showers.

One thing I would add is to stay hydrated.

Would it be possible for your son and his cousins to sleep in a hotel together?  That way he can have a break from the cat and still spend time with his cousins.

You could buy her a new vacuum cleaner. That's what I did with my mother. She kept buying these junky $80 things and my dh and dd would go there and be a mess. I bought her a real swank $300 Kenmore, upright, blah blah, built like a tank, sucks up the whole yard of dirt thing, and boom the house was cleaner, family more comfortable. 

• Like 3

I take Zyrtec for two weeks before a cat exposure, and then add Alavert the day before, taking it for the duration of the visit..  Benadryl makes me so loopy and drowsy that I would definitely not enjoy my time visiting.  The pharmacist told me there were no adverse effects to taking two different kinds of allergy meds but he didn't recommend doing it on a daily basis.  Once in a while is okay.  But honestly, even stacking up different allergy meds I still feel the effects and then I am literally sick for a week after the visit.  

My brother is also extremely allergic and has a lot of success adding Singulair to his regimen when visiting someone with cats or dogs.  I have yet to try adding that in. 

• Like 1

We have family who simply do not visit us because we have cats, or stay mostly in our cat free office space most of the time.

Agreeing with previous poster, changing to our Dyson vacuum made a HUGE difference in the amount of cat hair (and dust!) everywhere.  It cleans it off our furniture significantly better as well.  We used to get the $80 vacuums because that is what we could afford at the time.  I would request, and personally clean his sleeping space and keep the cats OUT. 

Zyrtec, Benadryl, Flonase nasal spray, Zatidor eye drops, real Sudafed, saline nasal rinse (neti pot is what we use but any is fine) will all help since you are stuck playing there. Showers in morning and at bedtime, middle of day if needed too. 

• Like 1

The wheezing would concern me, greatly. Eyes, not so much. 

Get a hotel. It may be inconvenient, but you are talking breathing here. Breathing. 

Next time, follow the other posters' advice--air purifier, confine the cat, and go in beforehand and vacuum well, and don't let him touch the cat, or sit on the floor. Wash hands frequently. 

• Like 1

Check with your allergist. My protocol has me dramatically increase antihistamines before going into a situation that I know is likely to trigger a reaction. Mine involves three four meds, and 3 of the four are available OTC at lower doses (and benedryl can be substituted for the 4th-I'll just be more drowsy).

Edited by Dmmetler2

Zyrtec plus Benadryl is safe.  Whether the Benadryl is safe in the daytime, or just at night, will depend on what he's doing during the day (e.g. driving?  then no), and how sleepy it makes him.  But my kid has been on Zyrtec in the a.m. and Benadryl at bedtime for years.

Whether it keeps progressing and he gets to the point he can't tolerate it, will remain to be seen, but since he's of an age when he can tell you what's wrong, I think you're safe. 

Others have replied already, I'm sure, but I will say that my mother has to take benedryl when she visits us (she has dog allergies and we have a large, hairy German Shepherd). My mother visits from out of state and stays with us when she visits. The benedryl (even a small dose) makes her really drowsy, so I'd be prepared for that with your son. It does seem to help her allergy symptoms, but visits are very limited because -- frankly -- visits aren't all that pleasant for her when she's sleepy all day, I'd imagine.

He can also just take another Zyrtec if that works well for him. We were discussing adding Singulair for my dd when we visit our camp or her allergies otherwise kick in, and the doctor said he would prefer her to just take another Zyrtec at those times. He said it's almost impossible to overdose and the worst thing that would happen is increased sleepiness (but that does not happen for her, so it's a great solution).