Menu

Well-Trained Bodies- August Edition

Soror

I'm a day late (and a dollar short) ?

My head is in too many places to focus on fitness too much, so I'm in maintenance mode. I'm still continuing with Strong for the moment, onto Stage 3. Although I enjoy the time with my Mom I'm missing heavier lifting. I do feel like the workouts are more balanced but we're still doing mostly dumbbell and I prefer barbell, but primarily working out w/ Mom we are at PF which doesn't have real barbells. IDK I don't have that much energy to focus to it right now anyway. 

My goals are very scaled back- work out twice a week (those include interval training)

Do whatever else I feel like otherwise- we do short walks most mornings.

I'm tagging everyone that participating in July- ANYONE is WELCOME to join and no worry if you have to leave.

I expect that I will not be around as much myself as we have so many new things going on. Ds is starting PS, dh is starting college and has a lot of uncertainty at work, and I'm *trying* to get a part-time job myself. Not to mention Scouts and Homeschool Group starting back up. Of course, schooling the girls and trying to keep up with the house too. My brain is at capacity. I know some we'll get in the flow for but changes are always rough.

@wintermom @Monica_in_Switzerland @SKL @peacelovehomeschooling @Sarah CB @hshibley @lynn @lmrich @Kim in Appalachia @mamaraby @jen3kids @FairProspects @Ali in OR @DawnM

Edited by soror
  • Like 4

Thanks for starting us out this month, soror!  That is so nice your mom and you are exercising together. It's really nice to have a partner to keep you company and keep each other motivated.

I have one more month of summer vacation before I have to start thinking about back to school stuff. I'll have only one ds left to actively homeschool. My oldest 2 dc are doing courses similar to DE, and middle ds is going to try out the local high school. I've applied to do a Graduate program at the local university. Add on much shorter daylight time, colder weather, and I'll definitely be doing less in Sept.

For August I'll still be doing daily biking, tennis and walking with friends and family. 

• Like 2

Thanks for starting the new thread @soror!  

Yesterday was the Swiss national holiday, so lots of cooking but not lots of exercising.  ?  This morning I got out for a nice run, felt good despite the little hiccup of not running over the last few days.  

Goals for the month: long run each week so that I'm not too unprepared for the Sept 8 half.  Back to keto/low-carb/IF.  Play around with some HIIT sprint workouts, do my foam rolling and glute exercises to keep my hip happy.  

Here's to a fun-filled and hopefully not too hot August!

• Like 3

@wintermom I'm sure it is nice to wait to start with where you live especially.

@Monica_in_Switzerland- glad you enjoyed the holiday ? I agree, let's hope it's not too hot, it's been unseasonably cool here.

I had the best workout in weeks this morning!!! I'm not liking any of the deadlift variations though- it sucks doing this at PF. 

Oh, and I had a health eval this am and I weighed 123.3 there (with my workout clothes- no shoes). I've not been weighing every day. I popped up for a bit then down and their scale weighed a bit lighter than mine. I seem to be inching down. Woot! The irony, or not, about my weight is that I haven't been eating uber healthy. Our budget has been cut so we've been having lots of rice and beans. I'm sparing w/ the rice but am eating plenty of carbs but with budget cuts I have had few snacks, other than discount store chocolate. 

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

Oh, my health assesment was good all around. Total cholesterol was 132, BP 108/68, fasting glucose 84. I got a small ding b/c my healthy cholesterol was 1 point lower than they wanted. I'm not convinced that my cholesterol being so low is a great thing but it has been that way as long as I've measured it and I'm not fat phobic in the least.

• Like 5

It's been mixed for me. I've lost 10 lbs. since July 9, but I ended up with 2 ocular migraines this week due to the weight loss. My doctor said they are likely related to changes in diet and blood sugar, but he also agreed with me that I am on a reasonable weight loss path, so it's just an unfortunate situation that we are monitoring. I've been working out at least 2-3 times a week at my gym, and it is still super hard, but getting slightly easier. I'm definitely the weakest person there with the most health issues, but I can at least try to be the healthiest version of myself.

• Like 4

My goals for the month are to keep going to 3 cycling and 3 strength training classes a week as well as walking 3 miles in the evening. I'm looking into a hiking trip at the end of the month but school starts that Monday so we'll see. My new goal for the month is to cut out junk food (chips) and sweets except for rare meals out. 

• Like 3

I WENT TO THE GYM YESTERDAY!!! I can't even tell you how long it's been, since the PF website will only let me check in 90 day increments.  :-x  So sore today, but happy for it. Dh is happy because I'm much more tolerable when I get regular exercise. Not that one day is regular exercise, but there's got to be a first step!

I tried the rowing machine with the water wheel for the first time. I think I could really like it once I look up the machine settings online, lol, and figure out a good stroke.

Baby goals for this month: get to the gym 3x/wk and get back to eating breakfast.

• Like 4

Ugg - I have had quite the setback. Migraine, nasty cold, and reinjured my foot - still swollen. Plus got a diagonsis of an autoimmune disorder that can be either scary or not so bad. For the first time in my life I am on medication. (Autoimmune disorder is CREST) I have had trouble swallowing and have tons of allergies so it has been suggested that I might have to go on 'adult' formula if the steriod treatment does not work. The other presenting problem is Raynauld's which means my hands and feet get extremely cold and painful; my fingers turn purple. I had trouble typing this year in my cold classroom. I live in Atlanta so it is really never that cold; it is the AC that gets me where I teach. I start shaking from the cold with my teeth chattering (and it is not that cold but, you know, how cold it can be at a doctor's office). Sorry for the rambling.. I look forward getting back to the gym and my morning walks. I am just feeling discouraged after I had made such great changes to my lifestyle. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

Nice job!!!  

Thank you!

15 hours ago, FairProspects said:

It's been mixed for me. I've lost 10 lbs. since July 9, but I ended up with 2 ocular migraines this week due to the weight loss. My doctor said they are likely related to changes in diet and blood sugar, but he also agreed with me that I am on a reasonable weight loss path, so it's just an unfortunate situation that we are monitoring. I've been working out at least 2-3 times a week at my gym, and it is still super hard, but getting slightly easier. I'm definitely the weakest person there with the most health issues, but I can at least try to be the healthiest version of myself.

Congrats on the weight loss, that is awesome!!!!!  Boo for migraines. Yes, be the best you. I understand I would get so discouraged working out w/ others and gaining strength and skills so slowly sometimes.

12 hours ago, hshibley said:

My goals for the month are to keep going to 3 cycling and 3 strength training classes a week as well as walking 3 miles in the evening. I'm looking into a hiking trip at the end of the month but school starts that Monday so we'll see. My new goal for the month is to cut out junk food (chips) and sweets except for rare meals out. 

Good goals, I'm jealous of your hiking trip it has been a bit since we took one here, we've been too busy.

9 hours ago, lmrich said:

Ugg - I have had quite the setback. Migraine, nasty cold, and reinjured my foot - still swollen. Plus got a diagonsis of an autoimmune disorder that can be either scary or not so bad. For the first time in my life I am on medication. (Autoimmune disorder is CREST) I have had trouble swallowing and have tons of allergies so it has been suggested that I might have to go on 'adult' formula if the steriod treatment does not work. The other presenting problem is Raynauld's which means my hands and feet get extremely cold and painful; my fingers turn purple. I had trouble typing this year in my cold classroom. I live in Atlanta so it is really never that cold; it is the AC that gets me where I teach. I start shaking from the cold with my teeth chattering (and it is not that cold but, you know, how cold it can be at a doctor's office). Sorry for the rambling.. I look forward getting back to the gym and my morning walks. I am just feeling discouraged after I had made such great changes to my lifestyle. 

I'm so sorry ? The girls have a friend (10yo) with Raynaud's but I haven't heard of CREST, I'm sorry. I hope the medicaton works for you. 

10 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I WENT TO THE GYM YESTERDAY!!! I can't even tell you how long it's been, since the PF website will only let me check in 90 day increments.  :-x  So sore today, but happy for it. Dh is happy because I'm much more tolerable when I get regular exercise. Not that one day is regular exercise, but there's got to be a first step!

I tried the rowing machine with the water wheel for the first time. I think I could really like it once I look up the machine settings online, lol, and figure out a good stroke.

Baby goals for this month: get to the gym 3x/wk and get back to eating breakfast.

Woohoo! WTG! Baby steps! I've only done the machine w/ the wheel a few times, I never do feel like I know what I'm doing.

-----------------------------------

I worked out a bit at the lifting gym while the girls did TKD. YOu know I used to do another full hour, after my hour+ in the am but then I started to hurt too much and was pushing towards injury. So I scaled it way back, last month I didn't feel well at all and sometimes only did 10 minutes there (just enough to check in)- I even skipped one day when I felt the worst. Yesterday I managed 25 ish minutes- nothing hardcore but I got my heartrate up a few minutes. I did some dynamic warm-up, hand-feet crawling, bear walk, frog jump, and monkey. Plank pike in the TRX straps and then finished w/ some hollow body work and light yoga/stretching. I'm sore today from our am lifting. I think I might be up to actually working out Saturday at home- I seem to be inching better again. Not sure why I felt so bad for awhile maybe hormones or my wonky thyroid? 

• Like 1

It's been a good week.  I finished stage 4 in NRFL4W and I'm taking a small break before stage 5, which has meant a couple of days of doing yoga. I'm also trying to add more running back. I ran Tuesday night, and had planned to run last night but my son had some car issues that changed my plans (it's all good now, he just had a dead battery)

I have a little over a week left to this semester, then a 2 week break before the fall one begins. I have 2 kids heading off to college, 1 going back, and 1 we have to move in for the first time.  My house will be very empty in just 2 weeks. ?  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, lmrich said:

?   I'm sorry you're having medical struggles.  That just stinks. 

I'v had Raynauld's since I was young.  It is painful, but you learn to cope.  I recommend fingerless gloves. They help, as well as wear extra layer.  It does help to keep your core warm.

• Like 2

Thanks Kim in Appalachia. I wear fingerless gloves inside a lot and I never outside in the winter without gloves. I cannot tolerate icy drinks in the winter either. I was put on medication since they took my blood pressure in my toes and finger (there are blood pressure cuffs for this!) and my case is rather serious. I had an Aunt who lost her fingers from Raynauld's so I guess I am taking after that. The bigger concern is the EoE which is my esophogus. It is like asthma of the esophogus.

I am not sure if the combination of two medicines has given me a migraine, or if it is just a migraine that I cannot kick. Hoping tomorrow is better. I miss my energy. 

I appreciate everyone's encouragment. 

1 hour ago, lmrich said:

Thanks Kim in Appalachia. I wear fingerless gloves inside a lot and I never outside in the winter without gloves. I cannot tolerate icy drinks in the winter either. I was put on medication since they took my blood pressure in my toes and finger (there are blood pressure cuffs for this!) and my case is rather serious. I had an Aunt who lost her fingers from Raynauld's so I guess I am taking after that. The bigger concern is the EoE which is my esophogus. It is like asthma of the esophogus.

I am not sure if the combination of two medicines has given me a migraine, or if it is just a migraine that I cannot kick. Hoping tomorrow is better. I miss my energy. 

I appreciate everyone's encouragment. 

I went through all of that testing when I was young, somewhere around 16.  I just remember the Dr getting quite serious, looking me straight in the eyes, and saying, "Do, not ever smoke. You will lose fingers and toes. Do not smoke"  

I've never smoked, nor have I ever wanted to, but I still remember his face when he said that.  He also suggested I eventually move somewhere warm (I was in NJ) He was from Ethiopia i think, and couldn't believe how cold it got ?      I currently live in central TX so cold is not an issue, except air conditioning. 

Yeah, the EoE is a problem  So sorry.  I hope the medications get ts calmed down and you get your energy back. 

• Like 1

@lmrich So sorry you're going through these medical issues. That is really rough. 

I went for a run this morning with some friends and brought ds 12 along. Then we went to a river for some adventure swimming in the rapids. It has been so warm that the rocks are very slippery, so I didn't swim much. I had a great time chatting with friends, though. ?   This evening dh and I are playing mixed doubles with friends.  I'm so lucky to have friends to exercise with! It's also nice to have some alone time on my bike, though. 

• Like 2

I have not been running as much as I'd like but I am on week 2 of hammer and chisel as part of getting ready for half marathon training.  Along with insanity.  Loving the toning.  I still can't believe I have abs again.    

• Like 2

I joined a gym!!!!  Did my "onboarding" evaluation with the head trainer last Monday....thought I'd die, or pass out, or be sick, or all three.  It was enlightening for sure.  Saw my doctor on Tues. to go over some things then did my AMA last Thurs.  Met with my new trainer today!!!!  I guess I'm starting a whole new adventure!

• Like 6

May I join in? I'm easy peasy...my only goal is to exercise 5 times/week. I joined the Y for the first time and am loving the new equipment options. I just need to be diligent to carve out that time to go especially as fall/cool weather kicks in and all I want to do is hibernate. I'd like to lose 25 pounds...the same 25 pounds I've been trying to lose since my new squish arrived end of October. I just love carbs so much...too much. So while my aerobic ability has increased my weight hasn't decreased. Carbs...comfort food...bored food...stressed food...I just love food.

• Like 4

My average daily walking went up this past week.  I only had 1 day when I did not walk at least a mile; one day was 2 miles, one was 3 and one was 7 miles.  I only hope/wish I could keep doing those nice long walks.

I have not really done any other exercise.  I need to be home alone and not on a massive work deadline in order to do vigorous exercise, and that hardly ever happens these days.  As for yoga, I have no excuse, I just haven't gotten back into the groove.  Maybe I should just do some right now ....

• Like 4

@lmrich So sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis!!!  I hope you and your doc get a management plan in place that takes care of your symptoms.  Big hugs

As for me, I've fallen and fallen hard off the wagon.  The heat has been KILLER here- today is the first reasonable day in two weeks!!!  Result: Runs not ran, ice creams consumed.  Here's to a better report next time, as the weather is supposed to be cooler for the next few days.  

• Like 3

@Monica_in_Switzerland Thanks for your well wishes. I am feeling better. I think I have adjusted to the meds and the intial headache and fatigue has disappeared. My routine blood work came back a little off, so they will repeat it. But the results point to CREST. Everything else looked great - BMI, chlosteral, glucose, etc... I am seeing an allergist Monday; the gynecologist on Wednesday and am taking my dd to the ortho on Tuesday. Yikes! 

I have been back to the gym twice (yeah!) and got in my long walk this am. So HOT and sticky! My eating has been super healthy and good news! My tastes are really changing so I really like healthy food now. You really can train your tastebuds. Now, I need to conquer not wanting a margarita or glass of wine on the weekend. 

• Like 4

Well, I have been a bit better and hope to keep it up.  I walked roughly 3 miles yesterday, and did my yoga (with some non-yoga exercises mixed in) both yesterday and today.  I was also good about eating vegetables, LOL.  I bought a bunch for my kids and they aren't eating them so ....  Also trying to drink more water, and eating nuts when I want a snack.

Today my kid has vision therapy, which will give me roughly 45 minutes to walk outside.  I hope the weather cooperates.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

As for me, I've fallen and fallen hard off the wagon.  The heat has been KILLER here- today is the first reasonable day in two weeks!!!  Result: Runs not ran, ice creams consumed.  Here's to a better report next time, as the weather is supposed to be cooler for the next few days.  

Yes, the heat and humidity can be brutal! Is there another form of exercise you can do, like cycling, that isn't as challenging until it cools off? We've been getting really high heat and humidity (for us) all summer, and I've tried to stay in the shade to be active (cycling/easy running in the woods), or picked other times (early morning or evening). 

The good part about hotter weather is that the body warms up faster so less likelihood of injury.

• Like 2

It's been a rough week because I've struggled to get any sleep (stress? hormones?) 

I made it to the gym once.  I'm on stage 5 of NRFL4W, which has very low reps, so I was able to increase my weight which was fun and encouraging. 

I have my finals this next tuesday, so the next 4 and half days is lots of studying.  I hope to get to they gym saturday and maybe sunday. We'll see how it goes. 

• Like 2

Well, I'm now down 11 lbs. in a month, and the difference between my start picture and yesterday is noticeable by my nutritionist, my friends, and everyone. I'm so much more toned and athletic looking. I tried on my fall clothes and virtually everything is too big. If anyone wants several pairs of Zella workout leggings in a M, I'd be happy to send them on to another working out WTM'er for shipping. I also only had to do one minor weight modification in my exercise class this morning, but otherwise I did the ENTIRE class as coached. That's a first for me in the 6 weeks I've been working out there and is HUGE.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, FairProspects said:

Well, I'm now down 11 lbs. in a month, and the difference between my start picture and yesterday is noticeable by my nutritionist, my friends, and everyone. I'm so much more toned and athletic looking. I tried on my fall clothes and virtually everything is too big. If anyone wants several pairs of Zella workout leggings in a M, I'd be happy to send them on to another working out WTM'er for shipping. I also only had to do one minor weight modification in my exercise class this morning, but otherwise I did the ENTIRE class as coached. That's a first for me in the 6 weeks I've been working out there and is HUGE.

Hooray! Way to go!

I wanted the party emoji and I'm sad it's gone. 

• Like 2

I had my 2nd workout with my new trainer today.  The previous workout was an hour and she taught me proper warm up and dynamic stretching.  This time, I was instructed to do what I learned at the first session then meet her in the stretching area.  We spent the entire workout (1/2 hour) foam rolling.  I was so sore!!  And wiped out.  Who knew foam rolling was a major exercies ?.  When we were done, I was dripping in sweat and so worn out!  What on earth will I be like next week when we have our 3rd session??!!!  Next week she wants me to get to the gym at least 1/2 hour before her, do the foam rolling, treadmill warmup, and dynamic stretching.....then we workout.  That entire routine (minus her part) wore me out today!!!  I confess I didn't realize I was so out of shape.

• Like 3

So I did a hammer and chisel workout and insanity max 30 Friday fight round 2.  Trying to decide if I finished the week strong or started the weekend good??

have a great, safe week end all.   Find some time to do something for yourself.

• Like 2

hey all,

Tues am- Strong Stage 3 pm- intervals on the bike

Thurs pm- intervals on treadmill

I was supposed to do Strong again yesterday but Mom cancelled on me, hopefully I'll get in at least something this weekend. We've decided to put all the kids in school(they start school in 5 days) so my week has been extraordinarily hectic. 

just keep swimming....

• Like 4

Our exchange students are leaving today and our ds 16 is returning. We had a going-away beach party for the exchange students last night, so we did some swimming and frisbee on the beach. 

This evening my dh and I will be playing some doubles tennis. We may play some more doubles tennis tomorrow as well.

• Like 1

This weekend I didn't get any nice long walks.  I did average about 2.1 miles for the past 7 days, and only one day was less than 2 miles.  I also did my yoga routine for the past several days (except 1 day which was just crazy).  I'm also eating a little bit better.

This coming week may be difficult since I will have to work away from home, probably at a library.  Hopefully I can still walk in the evenings.

• Like 2

I had a pretty good week overall as far as exercise goes. Got in 2 strength classes (was able to up some of my weights), 2 spin classes and an hour on the elliptical this week. We went family camping this weekend and got in some good hiking. However with family camping comes family camping food - hot dogs, smores, chips, ... Time to clean up the diet this week.

• Like 4

I took it a little easy today, after a ton of tennis on the weekend. Went for a short bike ride, then took the dc to a local beach. Swam a little, played some frisbee and watched young folk playing beach volleyball. I was reminiscing back a couple decades when I could play beach volleyball. I just know if I tried to play now I'd be in such pain. ?  It was really fun to watch the talented players, though! 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

I played some really fun mixed doubles yesterday evening. Had an amazing partner, which certainly makes things easier for me. I also went for an hour walk in the morning. I'll try to get out for a bike ride today before it rains.

I'm hopefully playing some tennis tomorrow and again on Friday. 

• Like 3

Did almost 4 miles of walking yesterday, but again no yoga.  Today I started the walking early because I will have less time for it tonight.  1.2 miles so far.

I signed up my whole family to continue TKD lessons (also fitness classes at the dojang if it works time-wise), until we are all masters.  I needed to do this now as it is still hard for me to do anything "personal" without my kids in tow.  This, along with the fact that my 11yos just got their black belts (I am about a year behind them now), should motivate me to get out there more often.  (I hope.)  My current goal is to test for my black belt when my kids test for their 2nd dan next summer.

I might also sign us up for a September 5K at the zoo.  Still deciding.

• Like 5

Great week so far! I have walked every day for an hour and have been to the gym to strength train. Diet is great as I am really trying be very aware of getting all my nutrients naturally so I have to eat a lot of healthy food; there is no room for junk! No gluten, no dairy, no eggs, no soy but lots of fruits and veggies lots of almond milk products, oatmeal, and more lots of flavored tea. Really not bad just spending a lot of time in the kitchen. I told dh that if his business really takes off (God willing) my splurge will be the pre-cut fruit and veggies. Wouldn't it be great to open your fridge to fresh fruit bowls and fresh veggie platters - well my kids do since I prepare it daily!! 

• Like 5

Went for a nice bike ride with dd this morning, and mixed doubles tennis this evening with dh. My wrist is pretty sore now. Sadly, I think the biking is adding to the wrist pain. I don't want to cut back on biking, though. I'm cutting out singles tennis, and trying to space my doubles matches out a little more. 

• Like 2

I enjoyed reading everyone's updates, ya'll are doing so good!

My week was a very rough one mentally. We had four open houses and more errands to run to get the kids ready for school. Putting them all in school and the insecurity at dh's job has been so incredibly stressful my sleep has not been very good at all. Once we finally made it to Thursday, when they started I was ready to collapse. I laid around all day Thurs and did nothing, Friday I got a bit of cleaning done, and today I'm trying to be a bit more productive. This is the first week since I was sick in January that I've not exercised at all. But my body did not need me pushing it, I needed rest plus the kids were off TKD and my Mom was out of town so my usual workout times were canceled. I don't even want to think about the fitness I've lost with last week being off and the 3 weeks prior to that not being the strongest but it is what it is. I plan to get back at it next week but we'll see what I can do. One day at a time.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Gah, my last post was a downer ?

I've been up since 1:30 am, I was asleep by 9:30 maybe? I will be taking a nap.

I'm trying to be proactive about getting things lined back out here. Right now I have much more time, I do not have a job yet and the kids aren't here. I hope to use that time getting the house in order, cooking good food, and doing some self-care (including naps when needed until I get my sleep lined back out).

Get back on track plans:

Meal plan-Today- Eating has been rather meh with the busyness and stress.

Fitness- Kids have TKD this week and I will be working out while they do that. I'm not sure if I should jump back in where I was in Strong or what. I'm not sure what I'll be able to handle. 

I'd like to walk, maybe we could do some evening family walks? The thought of walking during the day without them seems too depressing for words. 

Call dr's office Monday to get lab orders, I've still yet to do that and it's been months, I'm overdue as it is and want to try and make sure my thyroid and vitamin levels are where they need to be, the stress is enough on my body, I got to do what I can.

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

Big hugs to you @soror, those are some big changes and I'm not surprised you're feeling so stressed!  

---------

As for me, slight improvements over last week.  Ran 3x, including 8 miles yesterday.  I also did a 24 hour fast this week, which was not particularly difficult.  I'm hoping to do 48 this week, but that's a lot more ambitious.  

• Like 1

@soror Sorry you're going through a stressful time. Hope things get better really soon. 

Dh and I played mixed doubles tennis yesterday, which was a lot of fun. My wrist was good, as I keep the biking shorter and am playing tennis every second day now. My weight is pretty stable, as long as I don't go crazy eatingin the evening. ? 

• Like 2