Menu

Only Reasonable Schooling Option for Preteens ;)

NewIma

3 minutes ago, NewIma said:

My dd11's emotions and freak outs are slowly killing me. Anyone ever think the only reasonable schooling option for preteens may be boarding school? That is totally how if feels at our house some days. 

They're probably just as painful for her as you. She might even agree to boarding school to get away from her "unreasonable" parents. ? I feel bad for middle schoolers. Their hormones are swirling, affecting their bodies and brains in heretofore unknown ways (to us and to them) and there is just nowhere for those hormones to go!

• Like 2

We had to outsource heavily at that stage. The relationship got better when I was mostly just mom, not teacher and mom. In a lot of respects, it's the worst of both worlds. I love teaching, I love creating materials.I loved the homeschooling dynamic until about age 11.

• Like 3

I'm sure there are many kids who enjoy boarding school, just like there are evidently plenty of people who enjoy day schools during the middle school years. I can't imagine it, personally, but it must be true or our society would do something else with kids between 10 and 14.

Edited by Tanaqui

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

As someone who was sent to boarding school from age 11, I don't find the boarding school "option" to be all that funny. 

Awww, I'm sorry.  I've only heard from people who loved boarding school before. Wondering if you might explain why it was so awful.

26 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Maria Montessori for real thought you should send them all to go work on farms somewhere else and not let them back until they'd grown up a bit.

My DH has been saying something similar since DS13 turned 11... and DS was easy compared to DD! And they're both easy compared to how my brother and I were back in the day!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Maria Montessori for real thought you should send them all to go work on farms somewhere else and not let them back until they'd grown up a bit.

Could you imagine if rather than there being "montessori" preschools all over the place, there were montessori jr. high farms?

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

45 minutes ago, Katy said:

Awww, I'm sorry.  I've only heard from people who loved boarding school before. Wondering if you might explain why it was so awful.

Because being in a place where you are not with loving parents can foster abuse of power and therefore other sorts of abuse . And being in a place that is hugely peer driven even in the “homelife” can foster a “Lord of the Flies” atmosphere. It was not a coincidence that I started drinking heavily at age 11. And that is as specific as I am going to get. 

(I know many people who have gone to many different boarding schools. I know that there are people with good or at least neutral experiences. But I stand behind my observation that being raised in such environments can make some sorts of abuse more possible by the very nature of institutional life. )

• Sad 6

34 minutes ago, Petrichor said:

Could you imagine if rather than there being "montessori" preschools all over the place, there were montessori jr. high farms?

It's called Erdkinder and it's a real thing. It translates to 'earth children' or 'children of the earth'.

http://montessoritraining.blogspot.com/2013/04/montessori-adolescent-programs-erdkinder.html 

There aren't any genuine Erdkinder in my part of the world, but apparently they offer boarding and day students. 

I'd love to see one in action.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tanaqui said:

I'm sure there are many kids who enjoy boarding school, just like there are evidently plenty of people who enjoy day schools during the middle school years. I can't imagine it, personally, but it must be true or our society would do something else with kids between 10 and 14.

The people I've known who went to boarding school didn't have a say whether they went or not, it was decided by the parents. The kids' enjoyment or lack of enjoyment didn't factor into the decision at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

It's called Erdkinder and it's a real thing. It translates to 'earth children' or 'children of the earth'.

http://montessoritraining.blogspot.com/2013/04/montessori-adolescent-programs-erdkinder.html 

There aren't any genuine Erdkinder in my part of the world, but apparently they offer boarding and day students. 

I'd love to see one in action.

I visited one when I was doing my grad school work in education. It seemed okay? I didn’t form a particular impression other than, yep, these are teenagers on a farm.

2 hours ago, DesertBlossom said:

DH calls the middle school/jr high years "the armpit of life." As hard as it is for parents of middle schoolers, I don't know anyone who looks back fondly on their own middle school years.

Armpit of life seems to sum it up!

7 hours ago, Farrar said:

I have also said this - that at about age 12 or 13 they should go work on a farm, away from mom, for most of the day. At least I was nice enough to say they could come home for dinner, lol.

• Haha 2