Menu

Cultural traditions in America?

easypeasy

I have a paper to write that concerns cultural traditions in America (and their effects, for good or for ill). I have my tentative topic for the paper, but brainstorming it made me realize that I honestly couldn’t think of all that many “all-American” traditions. I’m curious if I am having a case of “blank page” syndrome, or if others are as idealess as I am?

Flying the flag, Fourth of July, workaholism, the way pets are treated almost like kids (or sometimes better), the way ethnic groups maintain parallel cultural identities, how we like our space, how we talk familiarly to strangers, our own mix of taboo / not taboo topics of conversation....

• Like 4

4th of July celebrations, Thanksgiving, baseball, football and tailgating, prom, Hollywood, and yep, Halloween. Pumpkin spice might deserve its own category as a recent American tradition, lol. 

Because America is so large and diverse, many cultural customs are regional rather than nation-wide. I'm near New Orleans, so I see a ton of diverse cultural customs. Mardi Gras, and all the subcultures within it. St. Joseph's altars, jazz funerals, second lines, pleasure clubs. Some you may see variations of in other cities, others not so much, but they are definitely all "cultural traditions in America." 

Leading to the question: are you talking about traditions that are celebrated only in America, traditions that are celebrated across America, traditions that began in America, or traditions that might vary from place to place? Some combination thereof? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SKL said:

Flying the flag, Fourth of July, workaholism, the way pets are treated almost like kids (or sometimes better), the way ethnic groups maintain parallel cultural identities, how we like our space, how we talk familiarly to strangers, our own mix of taboo / not taboo topics of conversation....

These examples bring up another aspect for you to define, as I would consider most of these to be more along the lines of cultural customs and expectations rather than traditions. Do you want to write only about traditions, things that people do such as flying the flag or tailgating? Or also customs, how people act rather than specific actions that make up traditions? 

• Like 1

Car culture, gun culture, food weirdness*, sports culture, ubiquitousness of American flag, prom? 

*By food weirdness, I mean that every third person eats/doesn’t eat some category of food. I don’t know if this is specifically American, but it seems to go with our strong sense of individualism and doesn’t seem as common in other places. Other places just serve food and you eat it, lol. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SKL said:

the way pets are treated almost like kids (or sometimes better), 

Unless things have changed dramatically since I visited the UK, the British are very particular about their pets. I often saw cats lounging around in restaurants and once in a bakery, and dogs were allowed almost everywhere. I don't think this is strictly an American thing. Also, I know people who only think of dogs as working animals and believe they should live outside. One large family in particular I"m thinking of can trace their ancestry back to before the American Revolution.

• Like 3

I'm with you in this being a very challenging thing to write about.  Many listed here I think...huh...not my tradition.  So I guess I'd just pick one and go with it.  Maybe pick a tradition you have that you know a lot of other people have.  (I'm assuming you are American, but I don't know this for sure.) 

Do you mean a specific tradition:
national anthem before sporting events
trick or treating
hurricane parties
jumping the broom

Or do you mean subcultural norms:
preppers/rugged individualism/survivalists
gun culture
ethnic heritage celebrations
lifestyles of sustainability
homeschooling
Deep South ancestral worship of Confederate Soldiers

• Like 1

Black Friday?

Certain sports things - cheerleaders, prom, football, sports scholarships.

Certain celebrations are very American - they may have migrated but they come from the US - Thanksgiving, Halloween to some extent, also showers like wedding or baby showers, mother's and father's day.  I think also the gift-giving element is much larger in American holidays generally.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SparklyUnicorn said:

What is a hurricane party?  What is jumping the broom? 

My nephew is half Cajun.  When a hurricane hits some of his extended family and their friends board themselves up in their houses and party (lots of booze and food and whatnot) the whole time the hurricane is raging outside.

Jumping the broom is a tradition in some African-American weddings.

• Like 1

Here are ours:

Celebrating a Culture You Know Nothing About aka Cultural Tourism: Burns supper, Cinco de Mayo, and Lent are my family's personal faves. LOL Nationally St. Patty's, Cinco de Mayo, and Holi probably top the list of most appropriated holidays.

Hanging Out at the Mall: this is more suburbia, but even in small towns they drive out to hang out and walk around. This one is so bizarre to me but it is a real thing.

Trucks and cars: in no other country have I seen this emphasis on modifications of trucks and cars. Ever. Germans love cars but the modding is nearly nonexistent. 

Those are in addition to cheerleaders aka pom pom girls, youth sports, and the many other traditions we have which were listed above.

• Like 2

The Pledge of Alliegence, placing your hand over your heart for the Pledge or the National Anthem are two cultural traditions that come to mind.  Addressing strangers as "madam" or "sir" is very American to me.  Not using your fork & knife together when eating is VERY American.  My kiwi husband can't understand why we do that.  

Mud season & Ground Hog day are seasons / holidays I haven't seen recognised outside of the US.  

I've lived in a hurricane prone state  for 49 years and don't know anyone who actually has hurricane parties. We all joke about it but when it comes down to it, everyone wants to either be in their own homes with their own families (and have a clear head in case it gets bad) or they evacuate. Perhaps some people do have them if the storm is going to be a small one or if they're young and haven't experienced a bad one, but most people are too busy boarding up and buying food and water to worry about party plans. My full Cajun friend from the gulf part of Louisiana would agree with me.

I would not call hurricane parties an American tradition. 

What about summer BBQ?  In my area it is common to start and end the summer with a BBQ party, as well as have one in the middle.  Memorial Day BBQ begins the summer, Labor Day BBQ ends the summer, and the Fourth of July is in the middle.  We also have the county fairs in the summer, too.  I don't know how that correlates to customs worldwide though.  

• Like 3

I would say that the lack of cohesive traditions that are universal is very American.  Part of it may be that we are are bigger than all of Europe itself, so talking about a German or Japanese tradition is more like talking about a Southern or New Orleans tradition.  But in the bigger sense, a lack of cohesiveness and an emphasis on individualism or sub-cultures is an American thing (maybe not uniquely though.)  We are a young country populated by peoples from all over the world that brought their own traditions.  There are very few native traditions (for tragic reasons) that are as old as in other countries.  It's a really interesting topic to think about.

• Like 2

One thing we have here that other countries do not seem to have is extremely long political seasons.  It is still more than 2 years away from the next Presidential election and already visits are being made to New Hampshire and Iowa by people who want to run.  

The very rugged individualism too- which is a backbone of many other the other unique things.

The very diverseness of our country- as other said- most cultural things are not universally celebrated like football season is super big here but basketball isn't really very big.  Mardi Gras in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and NW Florida but not really other places.  etc, etc,

Thanksgiving is the really unique holiday-- though Canada has it too now. Fourth of July is much like other countries national holidays.  

2 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

Thanksgiving is the really unique holiday-- though Canada has it too now. Fourth of July is much like other countries national holidays.  

Thanksgiving has been celebrated in Canada for a very long time, perhaps even predating the US version.  I like this little article http://www.cbc.ca/kidscbc2/the-feed/whats-the-story-thanksgiving

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

Thanksgiving has been a national holiday in Canada since 1879 

I don't know whether the idea is to name cultural traditions or specifically ones that are unique? 

As a Canadian, things that strike me as more uniquely American are prom, and sororities & fraternities, the melting pot concept (as opposed to the Cdn value of multiculturalism) 

maybe drive throughs & eating in a car  (but this is stuff Canadians have too though i think we got it from you)  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I've lived in a hurricane prone state  for 49 years and don't know anyone who actually has hurricane parties. We all joke about it but when it comes down to it, everyone wants to either be in their own homes with their own families (and have a clear head in case it gets bad) or they evacuate. Perhaps some people do have them if the storm is going to be a small one or if they're young and haven't experienced a bad one, but most people are too busy boarding up and buying food and water to worry about party plans. My full Cajun friend from the gulf part of Louisiana would agree with me.

I would not call hurricane parties an American tradition. 

CNN (I think it was CNN) did a news story on them and interviewed people setting up for them when they were asking people who had to been told to evacuate but refused. Yes, they were mostly the young adult party crowd in that piece.  I haven't asked my nephew about the age demographics of his relatives that do it.

2 hours ago, HeighHo said:

lots of ice in drinks is also an American thing

Oh yes.  You just reminded me that I have to think about what I will be drinking in Greece next month.  I can't do wine except about a quarter cup so that is out.  Water is one thing, I guess.  But I basically drink iced tea a lot in restaurants and I won't be able to and I will be having to try to quickly find coffee bars at our stops (I will be with a tour group most of the time).

9 hours ago, Ms.Ivy said:

What about summer BBQ?  In my area it is common to start and end the summer with a BBQ party, as well as have one in the middle.  Memorial Day BBQ begins the summer, Labor Day BBQ ends the summer, and the Fourth of July is in the middle.  We also have the county fairs in the summer, too.  I don't know how that correlates to customs worldwide though.  

I don't think that is an American tradition. Most Aussies have BBQ's all the time. at the beach, in a park, at others houses. it is a regular thing that happens all year round.

On 4/8/2018 at 10:11 AM, Lady Florida. said:

Unless things have changed dramatically since I visited the UK, the British are very particular about their pets. I often saw cats lounging around in restaurants and once in a bakery, and dogs were allowed almost everywhere. I don't think this is strictly an American thing. Also, I know people who only think of dogs as working animals and believe they should live outside. One large family in particular I"m thinking of can trace their ancestry back to before the American Revolution.

This was noticeable in France, too. People put a high priority on their dogs and I saw leashed cats a time or two as well. Dogs go in the mall and on the trains. And most French people are not pressed about picking up their doggie doo-doo. I only saw one owner clean behind his dog. 

Even most of the homeless people had at least one dog. 

Ps: DH grew up with the idea that dogs and cats were for farm or hunting purposes or pest control. He has softened a bit over the years (he loved our dog Sarge; this was probably the first dog he ever viewed as a “friend”), but he still believes animals do not belong in the house as a regular habit. 

• Like 1

The long political season and the signage.  The willingness to air your personal vote in public.  Generally in the UK people have no idea how their friends and neighbors are voting.  Brexit was the first time we ever saw more than a handful of signs and knew how our neighbors were voting.  People even had T-shirts.

American football receives many questions and comments.  

Thanksgiving is an obvious one.

Considering I sing God Save the Queen at most meetings I attend the pledge/anthem aren’t so unique.  We pray for the Queen as a standard prayer in the C of E service too.

Fourth of July BBQ’s really are the best and we have thrown a few.  People sometimes think they need cowboy boots and a stetson to attend.  We have never lived in a western state so they weren’t making a special effort to please my family.  Some really think that’s how all Americans dress.   

The one thing that really sticks out every time we return o the US is the brightness.  The signage along the roads.  The 24 hour culture.  We joke that at 6pm the sidewalks get rolled up in our English village a few people taking walks is it.  The pawn and gun shops with loads of signs get the kids talking every time.  A funny kid comment years ago regarding Body Shops....they decided  they were cheap plastic surgery, tattoos and piercings,  or massage parlors.  Could not figure out which and more confusing was why they were all over the place.  They were astounded to learn car repairs.