Menu

If You Were Moving to a Totally New Place, What Would You take...

Chris in VA

As many books as possible, bedding, photos/albums, religious stuff, umm...?  Stuff I needed for daily functioning and didn't want to or couldn't buy in the new place.  Then I'd just rebuild, assuming I was doing the same thing there as I do here.  If not, I'd rebuild around the new circumstances.  I guess.  Hard to imagine, really!

ETA: I'm saying all of the above assuming all the living things are already coming with me.  :D

• Like 1

When we’ve moved into furnished quarters, the most important things to me have been:

a small Charlie Brown artificial tree with important ornaments 

an ornamental shelf that only requires hooks; a few important objects for said shelf

a printer to print photos (isolation with inability to print them elsewhere)

our own bedding

a few seasonal decorations: spring, autumn, Easter, Halloween 

hard drive with music and movies

our own blankets for the couch

a few serving dishes and utensils 

coffee/tea and accompanying machines

things that are important to the kids (toys, stuffies, books, wall decorations)

shower curtain, curtain hooks, plunger and toilet brush

• Like 1

It would depend on how long I was going for.

I've lived places for 3 months out of a carry-on and that went fine. I think feeling that I can do what I want in the place is what makes it home to me. 

I might buy flowers once I got there to say, "This is my place. I may not be decorating it, but I am adding life."

ETA: When I go to a place that doesn't seem like my home (it never occurred to me to bring serving dishes or sheets or whatever, though I have taken a French press), grocery shopping is what I do first thing. But I'm pretty low-key when it comes to decorating and just taking places over.

Emily

• Like 1

I've done this many times.  If I am going to be in a first world location that I can source all the home good type stuff and I know I am going "home" eventually ,  I'll take my family members, my devices (phone, Kindle, computer), school books, some Judaica (kiddush cup, Havdala candle, Shabbos candlesticks), minimum of Jewish books to create a feasible library, foodstuff I cannot get in that country,  and that's about it.  In reality-ville (we move to Japan every two or three years for a year at a time)a I bring clothing, toys, books, and some assorted sundries as well, but I don't *need* them.  It's just cheaper to bring them as free luggage than to buy them.

However, if we are fleeing for our lives (I am Jewish and yes, I have this planned out).  We can bug out with just our devices and our go-bags with our IDs, passports, money, etc.  If we had to leave the devices, we could do that too, since most of the important stuff is in the cloud.  Oh, I'd take my jewelry, both for sentimental reasons and if I had to, to sell.

IRL, we evacuated from Hurricane Katrina thinking we'd be gone just three days.  We took our marriage contract (it's framed and very pretty and necessary for us to cohabitate according to Jewish law), three days of clothing (and one fancy outfit each), a crockpot, my cooking knives, toy trains to keep the little ones occupied, and our library books we could not return as they has closed off the return bins.

• Like 1

select artwork - would depend on whether you can hang things on the wall

electronics

a few decorating items that mean a lot

my old quilts

select books

It would really depend upon where and for how long. It would also depend upon what happened the things you left behind. We once moved long distance on short notice and left several things in storage with the idea that we'd get back there in a month or two. It ended up being way too long and then it was amidst the chaos of my life, so when I went to get the stuff I couldn't take even 1/2 of it. I took everything that was sentimental, family heirlooms etc, but had to leave a few things behind that I still miss. 

Because of that experience, when I move, I plan on taking everything that has sentimental value - photos - the clay pot ds made as a child, the antiques trunk, etc, things that I would greatly saddened to lose. I know it's all just stuff, but there were a few family pieces of furniture that I couldn't take, things I had worked hard to buy. When we moved, we only took things we would need for the first few months. 

It's different if someone will continue to live among the things, for instance, when I move for grad school, I'm taking clothes, books, desk, computer, and a few linens. 

My favorite clothes, jewelry, and toiletries including hair styling tools. My pillow. My favorite water cup. Robe and slippers. My good pen and pencils. My laptop and ipad.

Basically the things I use constantly.  I wear clothes 24/7. I use the toiletries every day. I sleep every night.  I drink water 3 or 4 times a day.  I wear my robe over my clothes all day and wear the slippers on my feet all day.  I’m always writing something down.  I’m constantly using the laptop to plan school, play Sims, and hang out with the hive.  The ipad is the same as the laptop, but with my calendar and Netflix.

There would also be books, except that the OP says I can’t have them.  (Meanie!)

We’ve done this quite a few times also. If it’s just with suitcases, I like to take a roll of maps to hang on the walls, some holiday items that are important to me, some small fabric decor, some games, and my cast iron pan, Uzbek rolling pin, and some wooden spoons. Plus electronics. If we’re shipping some things, then I take pretty much everything.  We don’t own furniture anymore and we switched to ebooks about eight years ago for this reason.  We have some artwork, holiday decor, more electronics, and lots more kitchen stuff and games.  Plus everyone has personal stuff they want to bring. 

• Like 1

Oh man, I'm actually doing this either tomorrow or Monday. We are moving in my parents while our house gets ready to sell and sold.  Then we'll be there until my parents and us find a house that fits both families. SO, it is a house filled with things that are not ours.  We literally only need our clothes and ourselves.  To make it feel like home I am bringing our Echo Dot so we can continue to easily listen to audiobooks together as a family and have dance parties whenever we want.  We will be bringing our favorite board games as well so we can do another one of our favorite things as a family. Other than that I don't need it to feel like home.  For me, home is where my family is not where my stuff is.

I moved to another country with a backpack and a suitcase. Besides clothes and my computer, I took:

1. the gear for my favorite leisure time pursuit. Because doing what I love is the best way to feel at home. 

2. my favorite music. I took two CDs and a portable CD player. Nowadays this is easy with all digital music on the cell.

3. one favorite book that I love and reread over and over

4. some photographs and picture of family and home town

5. one or two small decorative item of sentimental value

Have done this twice.

What I took:

• photos out of the frames, so we could frame & hang them or display them in the new home
  • favorite decor items (ex: tree skirt, our most special ornaments for the tree, those "cannot leave this behind" knick-knacks or items on display in our home, artwork, etc.; anything on display in our home that makes our home different from the others of the same floorplan on our street)
  • bed quilts (but, I make our quilts, so....)
  • our large popcorn bowl. We used to eat popcorn every Friday for "movie night", always with the same bowl. When we moved away, I insisted it come, so that "movie night" would have the same feel. 
  • each kid got to choose a reasonable amount of "this has to come" items (stuffed animals, random treasures, whatever). We ended up moving down the most ridiculous things because of this (one kid's collection of cotton picked up from the side of the road; another kid's coin bank full of pennies; another kid's key blank collection; one of the boy's rock collections.....but these were the things they needed to feel at home, so they came). 

Basically, it boils down to "what can we not replace, and can't bear to lose?" -- those are the things you take.