Menu

what would you do

JustEm

Disclaimer: we are no where near Austin, Tx.  What should I do in this situation.  A Uhaul van filled with packages was parked outside of my house, maybe a few minutes.  I only noticed because my kids looked out the window and saw it.  I assumed a neighbor was loading up stuff.  Then I noticed the guy walking away from my door.  I went to the door and there are 2 packages there, not addressed to me.  They have addresses on them but I didn't inspect them to see if they actually went through some delivery services system.  What do I do? I'm not generally a nervous person but I'm not touching those packages.

• Like 1

Hmmm. That's weird. Who are they addressed to if not you? Just curious, are there names on them, both to the same person, or not named at all?

You can call your police non-emergency number and describe the situation.

eta: for clarity

Edited by jewellsmommy
  • Like 1

Does Uhaul have moving services where they deliver your stuff? I always just assumed you could rent their vehicles. Also, why would they only deliver 2 boxes with a van filled with stuff?

I have heard of other services (like UPS) renting uhauls during busy seasons. Are there other adults at your residence (dh or adult kids) who may have ordered something?

• Like 1

Recent events considered, I would call the police.

Edited to add — Could it have been the Amazon same day delivery guy? Are the packages from Amazon? (I still wouldn’t touch them. I know I sound paranoid, and a few weeks ago I would never have suggested being so cautious, but given the recent news stories, I think it’s better to be extra safe.)

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 4

Packages are not from Amazon.  I took a picture from far away and was able to zoom in.  They are from Amway.  So I called Amway, the man I spoke to said he never heard of them using Uhaul and he couldn't find any info on the address or account number.  So, he is sending the info to a department that deals with these types of things.  If they don't call back within the next ten minutes I'm calling the non-emergency number

• Like 8

Since the Austin bomber was identified and is deceased, I wouldn’t worry specifically about the packages. But I would not touch the packages. I would try calling the delivery company if there is a way to identify it. Otherwise I would call the police non emergency line as others suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well since Amway could not confirm the package came from them I called the non emergency police line. I imagine an officer will be out shortly.

I doubt it is anything but I'm not touching those packages

I don’t blame you!

Hey, maybe you’ll get to meet a bomb-sniffing dog or something. That would be very cool (as long as he doesn’t get worried when he gets near your packages!)

• Like 1

Since the Austin bomber was identified and is deceased, I wouldn’t worry specifically about the packages. But I would not touch the packages. I would try calling the delivery company if there is a way to identify it. Otherwise I would call the police non emergency line as others suggested.

The last article I read about him, says they don't know where he was for about 24 hours.  They are not certain if he mailed more in that time or not.

Also..according to a police officer friend, he got so much media air time, they are expecting copycats. 

• Like 4

I don’t blame you!

Hey, maybe you’ll get to meet a bomb-sniffing dog or something. That would be very cool (as long as he doesn’t get worried when he gets near your packages!)

I did get to meet the bomb sniffing dog! And he did not freak out over the packages. The police officer was very nice and even joked that the drug sniffing dogs get all the work. He took the situation very seriously. First the dog confirmed it was safe to open, then he opened both packages and made sure they were safe.  Then he left it up to me to do what I please with the packages. So now we have a bunch of Amway stuff. I can't understand why Amway had no record of it when I was able to give them the order number, name on package, and shipping address. Oh well.

Edited by hjffkj
  • Like 16

they suspect there might be more in the system.

The last article I read about him, says they don't know where he was for about 24 hours.  They are not certain if he mailed more in that time or not.

Also..according to a police officer friend, he got so much media air time, they are expecting copycats. 

This.

• Like 1

might daughter kept getting stuff for an apartment complex near her.  I think they were all amazon. she finally called as she was getting fed up with it.

the address wasn't much like her's (plus she's a house), so it really didn't make sense.

I did get to meet the bomb sniffing dog! And he did not freak out over the packages. The police officer was very nice and even joked that the drug sniffing dogs get all the work. He took the situation very seriously. First the dog confirmed it was safe to open, then he opened both packages and made sure they were safe.  Then he left it up to me to do what I please with the packages. So now we have a bunch of Amway stuff. I can't understand why Amway had no record of it when I was able to give them the order number, name on package, and shipping address. Oh well.

I wonder if the person you talked to made a typo while entering information.

they'll be getting a call from the person wanting to know where their stuff is . . . .

I wonder if the person you talked to made a typo while entering information.

they'll be getting a call from the person wanting to know where their stuff is . . . .

He confirmed all the info twice. He Spelled every letter of the name, address, and all the numbers of the order number back to me after the first time nothing showed in their system

I’m so glad it turned out to be nothing — and it’s so cool that you got to meet the bomb sniffing dog!!!!! :hurray:

• Like 2

I don’t blame you!

I did get to meet the bomb sniffing dog! And he did not freak out over the packages. The police officer was very nice and even joked that the drug sniffing dogs get all the work. He took the situation very seriously. First the dog confirmed it was safe to open, then he opened both packages and made sure they were safe. Then he left it up to me to do what I please with the packages. So now we have a bunch of Amway stuff. I can't understand why Amway had no record of it when I was able to give them the order number, name on package, and shipping address. Oh well.

I was going to say if the dog sits really pretty after he sniffs the boxes, get your kids and run like heck!

But I'm glad you didn't need to!

• Like 1

I was going to say if the dog sits really pretty after he sniffs the boxes, get your kids and run like heck!

But I'm glad you didn't need to!

Oh my kids were no where near those packages,  they didn't get to meet him. One saw him through an upstairs window.  I wasn't near while he was doing his job but afterwards I got to meet him.

• Like 2

Oh, I see! It's a:

"A refreshing drinking water infused with MBO, a proprietary process that stabilizes oxygen in the water."

As long as it's refreshing, amirite?

Although I prefer a superpower, even if it is the lame Super Twin one, who could turn into any form of water.

• Like 3

Oh, I see! It's a:

"A refreshing drinking water infused with MBO, a proprietary process that stabilizes oxygen in the water."

As long as it's refreshing, amirite?

Although I prefer a superpower, even if it is the lame Super Twin one, who could turn into any form of water.

So I've been drinking water with destabilized oxygen this whole time???

:huh:

• Like 5

The power to get duped by a marketing department

it's their specialty

Well, that was kind of a letdown.

I was hoping unsinkable was right and that it was some kind of superpower.

This stuff is just kind of stupid.

well -it is a.m.w.a.y.   mlm extraordinaire

it's what they do.

• Like 2

I'm glad it turned out okay, even if it's still weird!

Though I can't speak on the unexpected packages themselves, I've had a couple of deliveries arrive by moving truck. That's how one of my trees got broken a couple of months ago!  My Chewy order usually comes via UPS, but it was a Penske truck last time. Dh has had overnight paperwork delivered by white moving vans before.  (Overnight is especially tricky in our location. Our local post office can't even send overnight mail.) There's definitely subcontracting going on.

I'd probably get just as nervous about packages I didn't order, even before recent events.  I came close to making a call the other day, when two trucks were sitting out on my road. One was from a radon detection company, and I couldn't see much of the other, facing the opposite direction, while the drivers chatted.  While it made me slightly nervous, I was mostly annoyed that two men in a ruralish neighborhood failed to consider that hanging out in front of someone's house might MAKE someone nervous!

Agreeing with others - I wouldn’t touch them and call the police.

I once had to stop a temp FedEx man from carrying a huge box with a baby stroller up to my house -his GPS told him to deliver it here but he was on the wrong street and wrong house number (I did get him to find the package I was expecting from the back of his truck) and from his white face I think he realized stupid GPS had had him deliver stuff to the wrong addresses his entire shift!!!

HOWEVER - since no one knows about bomber's activity his last 24 hours, calling the police was the wise move!!!

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 1

Good job OP.  I am glad that it turned out OK. Amway makes some good products, Not inexpensive. "Green" products.    If you drink the "empowered water" please report back here after the long WTM outage and let us know if you feel empowered.