Menu

:confused:Can someone fill me in on the 'politics ban?' I'm new around here, have been away from my computer for 5 days, and tonight I find several potentially interesting threads that seem somewhat 'stunted' for fears of violating The Ban.

Am I violating the ban by asking about it? How bad did things get? How bad CAN they get on an internet message board where adult participants can just skip what they don't wish to read? Or ignore those participants who post disrespectfully?

I just find it surprising on The Well-Trained Mind forum...I thought the book was (at least to some extent) about critical thinking.

What is the goal of the ban? Have bans like this 'worked' in the past? I find this interesting and a bit bizarre. But, then, like I said, I'm new to this sort of thing.

msjones

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:confused:Ca I find this interesting and a bit bizarre. But, then, like I said, I'm new to this sort of thing.

msjones

Strap yourself into the observation pit and prepare for takeoff. You've got a front row view. It's less expensive than cable or pay-per-view. :)

:confused:Can someone fill me in on the 'politics ban?' I'm new around here, have been away from my computer for 5 days, and tonight I find several potentially interesting threads that seem somewhat 'stunted' for fears of violating The Ban.

Am I violating the ban by asking about it? How bad did things get? How bad CAN they get on an internet message board where adult participants can just skip what they don't wish to read? Or ignore those participants who post disrespectfully?

I just find it surprising on The Well-Trained Mind forum...I thought the book was (at least to some extent) about critical thinking.

What is the goal of the ban? Have bans like this 'worked' in the past? I find this interesting and a bit bizarre. But, then, like I said, I'm new to this sort of thing.

msjones

In the past, politics have been a taboo subject on the WTM boards so the "ban" concept is fairly new. I've been on the boards nearly 8 years and politics has simply not been allowed - there are plenty of places to go for that. Critical thinking or no, some gaps are just too vast to cross over safely. Someone is going to go down.

I think with the move to the new format (of these boards, not so new, but relatively speaking) the owners opted to allow political discussions. I don't like confrontation or conflict in my real life and I certainly don't seek it out online. But, a lot of other people do/did. I think most of us thought we could have a civil discussion of our differences and opinions. It didn't work out that way.

I have been an infrequent visitor to this board since late summer. I did not open political threads when I could control my curiousity. From what I saw, things here got really, really ugly.

I think a lot of the "old" posters just opted to find something new to do with their time - myself - I learned to make bread! I know, it's crazy stuff. I'm hoping that now that the election is over, we can all move on.

It's homeschooling - of course you're going to have the extremes of the left and the right. In my best Homer Simpson voice, "Doh!" But we're all here to figure out how to best educate our kids. Period.

I'm not sure, because I've been kind of MIA, but I think a lot of people joined this board just to stir the political pot. In my years here, this is the first year I've felt uncomfortable and unsupported and, to be honest, kind of scared to log in to find out what the next ugly fight would be. In fact, this the first night I've been back in a few weeks. I hope thing will get back to homeschooling and general civilized conversation, but I'm not holding my breath after what I've seen over the past 7-8 months her.

I will say the cirriculum boards are very civil and on topic.

msjones

If you go to Susan's blog and read #2, you'll see her reasons why.

http://susanwisebauer.com/blog/

How bad CAN they get on an internet message board where adult participants can just skip what they don't wish to read? Or ignore those participants who post disrespectfully?

It can get pretty bad, unfortunately. The good news is, it's not just the WTM boards. I visit several online boards and have for years, and every time a presidential election nears, The Ban gets enacted on every single board because nobody - nobody - can sustain a political conversation without things getting ugly. I've accepted it as an internet fact of life.

I'd rather not talk politics with people I like, anyway. :D

ETA: Just read SWB's blog.... that was a hilarious response!

Edited by Mommy22alyns

How bad did things get?

Depends on your perspective, I s'pose. I don't think things got bad and despite the occasional tacky/disrespectful comment, I still found the political discourse interesting and of more value than a great deal of what's discussed here.

How bad CAN they get on an internet message board where adult participants can just skip what they don't wish to read? Or ignore those participants who post disrespectfully?

Exactly.:)

What is the goal of the ban?

I dunno. To help people who are riled up cool off. Or to give the mods a break. Or to limit pot-stirring by folks who were here primarily for that purpose. Or to provide a space where people can talk 'til their hearts content about such fascinating, thought-provoking topics as, say, vacuum cleaners and home size, without having even the slightest chance of encountering passionate, heated disagreement.

Ahem.

I just have to say that I have absolute and utmost respect for the Hive Mind and I thoroughly enjoyed the political discussions. I was under the impression that the K-8 and High School boards were for homeschool questions, the Curriculum board was for curriculum questions, and the General board was for general discussion not necessarily related to homeschooling.

If there's one thing I've learned from my time spent on this board, especially from viewing the political discussions, it's that there is certainly no weight to the notion that homeschoolers are typically Christians, or conservatives, or overbearing parents, or typically anything! Through those powerful, thought provoking discussions it became very clear that there is an immense diversity of people on this board, with our concern and love for our children being our common thread.

I, for one, thought the political discussions were valid as an obvious concern of parents' these days, and that simply blocking users who got too ugly seemed like a good solution. Thanks for posting this question.

Depends on your perspective, I s'pose. I don't think things got bad and despite the occasional tacky/disrespectful comment, I still found the political discourse interesting and of more value than a great deal of what's discussed here.

It was really really awful in certain threads with horrible things said on both sides. Those threads were deleted. I guess you must have missed those.

I'm glad it's over. I'm feeling like my kinder, gentler self again.

I felt like ~ feel like ~ people being able to discuss what they want to discuss is real life. And real life can be messy sometimes. It may include some less-than-kind, gentle moments. It may include some nastiness ~ and, if we're fortunate, some accompanying apologies. It may include passion and depth. It may be more than Pollyanna superficialities about how to clean baseboards and what-have-you. And ya know what? That's okay. Real life is really okay.

Really.:)

It was really really awful in certain threads with horrible things said on both sides. Those threads were deleted. I guess you must have missed those.

Maybe. I've not been around here a great deal lately. Or maybe I did read those threads, but our interpretation of "horrible" differs. Or maybe our interpretation is the same, but reading those "horrible" comments doesn't particularly bother me.

:)

I don't much like moderated boards, period. OK, some moderation for spam and maybe p0rn or language, but anything else- hands off. One person's "personal attack" is anothers "pointing out hypocrisy", you know?

And by my standards, the board never got very heated.

But I guess I'm alone there.

If the problem is too many heated threads for the mods, I think a solution would be a non-moderated (save the really bad stuff mentioned above) board. And a no-whining clause you have to sign to access it, LOL. It could be the "big girl panties" board, and any who wanted could ignore it at will (including SWB!).

Maybe we'll get one for Christmas??:D

Or to provide a space where people can talk 'til their hearts content about such fascinating, thought-provoking topics as, say, vacuum cleaners and home size, without having even the slightest chance of encountering passionate, heated disagreement.

Ahem.

Come on girl. I know that you feel passionately about your vacuum cleaner. :tongue_smilie:

Maybe. I've not been around here a great deal lately. Or maybe I did read those threads, but our interpretation of "horrible" differs. Or maybe our interpretation is the same, but reading those "horrible" comments doesn't particularly bother me.

:)

I have never seen such open hostility towards those with opposite ideas on this board in the eight years I have been here. "Horrible" may be a relative term, but open ugly hostility is not. I hope we never see its like again.

I have never seen such open hostility towards those with opposite ideas on this board in the eight years I have been here. "Horrible" may be a relative term, but open ugly hostility is not. I hope we never see its like again.

:iagree: (although I've only been here for about 4-5 years).

I felt like ~ feel like ~ people being able to discuss what they want to discuss is real life. And real life can be messy sometimes. It may include some less-than-kind, gentle moments. It may include some nastiness ~ and, if we're fortunate, some accompanying apologies. It may include passion and depth. It may be more than Pollyanna superficialities about how to clean baseboards and what-have-you. And ya know what? That's okay. Real life is really okay.

Really.:)

I firmly agree.

e

I don't much like moderated boards, period. OK, some moderation for spam and maybe p0rn or language, but anything else- hands off. One person's "personal attack" is anothers "pointing out hypocrisy", you know?

And by my standards, the board never got very heated.

But I guess I'm alone there.

If the problem is too many heated threads for the mods, I think a solution would be a non-moderated (save the really bad stuff mentioned above) board. And a no-whining clause you have to sign to access it, LOL. It could be the "big girl panties" board, and any who wanted could ignore it at will (including SWB!).

Maybe we'll get one for Christmas??:D

I visit unmoderated boards when I need a reminder of how absolutely horrible people can be when left to their own devices. I am very glad this board is moderated.

just based on reading SWB blog post was that she was getting innundated with demanding, angry emails. I don't think think it was just what was in the threads that caused problems - it was also the emails and probably private messages that then resulted. Just guessing.

I don't remember it being all that bad, but I do think SWB is right to think that this forum is attached to her webpage and that she has to use some dicretion in how she's going to let it be used. If people do start getting nasty, she has to use that "delete button" and if that's happening regularly, she has to keep close tabs on what is happening here. I'm sure she's sick of it, and I can't blame her!

I hope not either, and I hope in time the wounds will heal. It is very difficult for me at this point to go back to pretending we all care for and respect each other. I do at this point still believe that the truly hateful ones are a minority even among their "own people".

I think it is a homeschooling forum. No only that, but someone owns and runs it which is a lot more than just sitting back and saying "ha, a board...watch it go." Being an admin or mod of a board with this many members is tough and I think she is doing a great job. I think everyone needs a break from politics. It is what it is now.

From SWB's blog post, it sounded like a lot of the problem was all the complaining emails they were getting.

But thinking about this, isn't this board part of their promoting their classical education methods? It probably isn't that good for business to get new people thinking about using their program come to the boards and see all these heated political arguments that they are sure to be offended by one or the other points of views. I found the political threads interesting, but you have to admit they didn't do anything to promote classical education.

I visit unmoderated boards when I need a reminder of how absolutely horrible people can be when left to their own devices. I am very glad this board is moderated.

I completely agree here with Cindy and Tree House Academy below:

I think it is a homeschooling forum. No only that, but someone owns and runs it which is a lot more than just sitting back and saying "ha, a board...watch it go." Being an admin or mod of a board with this many members is tough and I think she is doing a great job. I think everyone needs a break from politics. It is what it is now.

I would not want this forum to be unmoderated. Homeschooling (I guess for me that would just be education in general, since we're not homeschooling this year) is the tie that binds us together here. There's so much we can find in common with each other just by focusing on educating our kids.

I didn't perceiveany "open, ugly hostility". It may well be that what you found so unwelcome didn't cause me such distress.