Menu

Book a week 2018 - BW9: I think Continually by Sir Stephen Spender

Robin M

Happy Sunday and welcome to Week Nine in our Open Roads Reading Adventure. Greetings to all our readers and to all following our progress.  Mister Linky is available weekly on 52 Books in 52 Weeks  to share a link to your book reviews.

Sir%2BStephen%2BSpender.jpg

Sir Stephen Spender  

(28 February 1909 – 16 July 1995)

I think Continually

by

Sir Stephen Spender

I think continually of those who were truly great.

Who, from the womb, remembered the soul's history

Through corridors of light where the hours are suns

Endless and singing. Whose lovely ambition

Was that their lips, still touched with fire,

Should tell of the Spirit clothed from head to foot in song.

And who hoarded from the Spring branches

The desires falling across their bodies like blossoms.

What is precious is never to forget

The essential delight of the blood drawn from ageless springs

Breaking through rocks in worlds before our earth.

Never to deny its pleasure in the morning simple light

Nor its grave evening demand for love.

Never to allow gradually the traffic to smother

With noise and fog the flowering of the spirit.

Near the snow, near the sun, in the highest fields

See how these names are feted by the waving grass

And by the streamers of white cloud

And whispers of wind in the listening sky.

The names of those who in their lives fought for life

Who wore at their hearts the fire's centre.

Born of the sun they travelled a short while towards the sun,

And left the vivid air signed with their honour.

Read his poems and learn more about Sir Stephen Spender through Poemhunter.com, WWD's   Family Unit: Matthew Spender on His Parents’ Marriage.  Also listen to his BBC Podcast conversation with Sue Lawley (Click download to listen) which is quite interesting as well as humorous about music, poetry, and life. 

Brit Tripping - Week 9: Ermine Street: Bedfordshire

This week we’ll be traveling through Bedfordshire, the birthplace of John Bunyan author of Pilgrim’s Progress.

Rabbit trails: More on Bunyan

What are you reading this week?

Link to Week 8

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 15

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robin, thank you, as always, for this wonderful thread!  :grouphug:

I read Death in a Strange Country - 2 Stars - I really like the protagonist in this series and I enjoy the Venetian setting, but this book was disappointing in that there was no resolution. It just ended and I was beginning to lose interest by that time anyway. Although I’m not American, I didn’t particularly care for the subtle anti-American sentiments in this story. The first book was far more enjoyable. I do plan on reading a few more in this series, since I have heard that they apparently take off after the fourth book. I’ll see. 

9780099536598.jpg

MY RATING SYSTEM

5 Stars

Fantastic, couldn't put it down

4 Stars

Really Good

3 Stars

Enjoyable

2 Stars

Just Okay – nothing to write home about

1 Star

Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.

• Like 13

I'm currently reading Louise Penny's Glass Houses in her Armande Gamache series.  Excellent as always.

I finished ROSE with a mixture of titles and authors this time.

R:  J.D. Robb - Dark in Death (#46 In Death, Futuristic New York, 384)
O:  Melissa Olson - Dead Spots (#1 Scarlet Bernard, Paranormal, 293, e)
S:  Spymaster's Lady - Joanna Bourne (#1 Spymaster, Regency, France/England, 386, e) 
E:  A Symphony of Echoes  - Jodi Taylor (#2 St Marys, Time Travel, 327)

• Like 14

I am currently listening to The Secret of Chimneys by Agatha Christie and am totally immersed even though it is at least my second reading if not third. If I understood the narrator correctly Chimneys is near the village of Market Rasen, so is likely in Lincolnshire not Nottinghamshire which is what I have listed on Goodreads. I plan to adjust the list and both will count for Brit Tripping. I have a real life acquaintance who lives in Market Rasen which is the only reason I caught that. Very nice place, BTW. ;)

I also finished the second Sayers on the reading order list, Clouds of Witness. I seem to be starting to really enjoy Lord Peter for himself not just a Harriet accessory! Lol. The first time I read these I started with Gaudy Night which is all about Harriet. I read the other books out of order and was always highly disappointed when they were just about Peter. Someone here listened to one lately and did not enjoy the narrator. I have to agree with this opinion but as long as I can find them recorded I am going to have to accept the rather irritating voice for Lord Peter. The voice does not make him overly appealing but I am trying to listen to as many of my choices as possible as my list is long and I have time while quilting. Its books or television. ;)

I am still in Cambridgeshire with my books. Another in Fiona Buckley's historical series https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1446597.Queen_of_Ambition which is quite interesting as it deals with a royal visit to Cambridge. As soon as I finish that I plan to start Dark Fire https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/138683.Dark_Fire?ac=1&from_search=true and return to London! I still have a stack of Cambridgeshire books that I plan to read.

Before you think I am utterly lost at some point this week I plan to read Bednobs and Broomsticks which is hopefully really set in Bedfordshire!

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 14

I recently read and enjoyed All Systems Red: The Murderbot Diaries by Martha Wells which has been nominated for the Nebula in the Best Novella category.  I'm hoping that this might be the start of a series in which case I would definitely like to read on.  Ah, I see it's actually number one of four with the next episode due out later this year.

"A murderous android discovers itself in All Systems Red, a tense science fiction adventure by Martha Wells that interrogates the roots of consciousness through Artificial Intelligence.

"As a heartless killing machine, I was a complete failure."

In a corporate-dominated spacefaring future, planetary missions must be approved and supplied by the Company. Exploratory teams are accompanied by Company-supplied security androids, for their own safety.

But in a society where contracts are awarded to the lowest bidder, safety isn’t a primary concern.

On a distant planet, a team of scientists are conducting surface tests, shadowed by their Company-supplied ‘droid — a self-aware SecUnit that has hacked its own governor module, and refers to itself (though never out loud) as “Murderbot.†Scornful of humans, all it really wants is to be left alone long enough to figure out who it is.

But when a neighboring mission goes dark, it's up to the scientists and their Murderbot to get to the truth."

I also re-read with pleasure the first three mysteries in the New Scotland Yard series by Anne Cleeland:

• Like 11

I can't keep up with you all!  Still reading Bill Bryson...

If I am remembering correctly you're reading Made in America which I read some time ago.  My favorite Bill Bryson book is The Mother Tongue: English and How it Got that Way  which I recommend.

Some currently free books for Kindle readers ~

Japanese Fairy Tales  by Yei Theodora Ozaki

The Lady  by Judy Higgins

Regards,
Kareni
  • Like 10

I am currently listening to The Secret of Chimneys by Agatha Christie and am totally immersed even though it is at least my second reading if not third. If I understood the narrator correctly Chimneys is near the village of Market Rasen, so is likely in Lincolnshire not Nottinghamshire which is what I have listed on Goodreads. I plan to adjust the list and both will count for Brit Tripping. I have a real life acquaintance who lives in Market Rasen which is the only reason I caught that. Very nice place, BTW. ;)

I also finished the second Sayers on the reading order list, Clouds of Witness. I seem to be starting to really enjoy Lord Peter for himself not just a Harriet accessory! Lol. The first time I read these I started with Gaudy Night which is all about Harriet. I read the other books out of order and was always highly disappointed when they were just about Peter. Someone here listened to one lately and did not enjoy the narrator. I have to agree with this opinion but as long as I can find them recorded I am going to have to accept the rather irritating voice for Lord Peter. The voice does not make him overly appealing but I am trying to listen to as many of my choices as possible as my list is long and I have time while quilting. Its books or television. ;)

I am still in Cambridgeshire with my books. Another in Fiona Buckley's historical series https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1446597.Queen_of_Ambition which is quite interesting as it deals with a royal visit to Cambridge. As soon as I finish that I plan to start Dark Fire https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/138683.Dark_Fire?ac=1&from_search=true and return to London! I still have a stack of Cambridgeshire books that I plan to read.

Before you think I am utterly lost at some point this week I plan to read Bednobs and Broomsticks which is hopefully really set in Bedfordshire!

Both of the books with Bundle  in,  The Secret of Chimneys & The Seven Dials Mystery, are some of my favourite A.G titles.  I find the grown up Bundle in the later book more fun to read about though.

I wish Sayers had written more Lord Peter stories ;)

Thank you for the link to Snowdon, & sharing your experience there.   Wales looks so beautiful!! 

(I hope I can do a Kathy, and visit Wales someday too.)

The extra comment I made about the Evans books last week was one that I would find helpful when trying to decide on printed book or audio, so thought I'd share the comment for others that may like to know things like that too. 

One of my favourite books in 2016 that I Iistened to,  Babylon's Ark ~ Lawrence Anthony, is filled with graphic profanity  -  I abandoned it and purchased the book: much easier to navigate language content.

The "E" in the Evans' titles would make it a win-win as a quick cosy read for challenges needing that letter  :laugh:   Enjoy.

(I just want to know which girl he chooses ... hope it wasn't Betsy!)

ETA: if anyone knows about Evans choice of girl could you perhaps pm me... I'd have to purchase all the books to find out otherwise :) 

Edited by Tuesdays Child
  • Like 10

Hello all! I read Georgette Heyer's These Old Shades this week and it was less than ok. I was pretty disappointed. So many readers seem to love this one but once the plot was revealed - a wastrel duke (aren't they all?) purchases a young boy on a whim (what the heck?! this was written back in the 20s? so I guess that was ok, then?) BUT it turns out that the young boy is actually a girl and immediately has an unquenchable desire to worship at the feet of His Grace Sir Snootypants (otherwise known as Justin Alastair, the Duke of Avon)and he has to save her from her evil father although we are never told what he did to make an enemy of the Duke of Avon OR why everyone thinks the Duke is Satan personified. Sorry for the spoiler, I just couldn't stand it OR her. She was irritating and we are told she is 19 or 20 but she acted like a young, spoiled schoolgirl. I wanted to give her a kick in the breeches. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8180971-these-old-shades

Also, I want to count this for Brit Tripping but am not sure what county it was in. The hero is the Duke of Avon BUT a good chunk of the story takes place in France. They do go to his ancestral home back in England, so would that mean his home is in Avon? Does a duke's title match up with his county? I'm hoping someone else has read this and remembers because I really don't want to have to search through this book on my kindle! 

A Thousand Naked Strangers: A Paramedic's Wild Ride to the Edge and Back by Kevin Hazzard. I really liked this! A memoir by a man who became an EMT then a paramedic in Atlanta. Fascinating reading! It grabbed me right off and I read half of it in one sitting. 

I am about 20 pages away from finishing Educated: A Memoir by Tara Westover. This is a memoir by a young woman who was raised in a survivalist/fundamentalist home in the mountains of Idaho by mentally ill parents. She never went to school and homeschooling just didn't happen in her home but she was able to earn a PhD from Cambridge and it's all much more interesting and incredible than I am making it sound. :)  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33135584-educated?ac=1&from_search=true

You can listen to her recent interview on NPR's Fresh Air https://www.npr.org/2018/02/20/587244230/memoirist-retraces-her-journey-from-survivalist-childhood-to-cambridge-ph-d

SaveSaveSaveSave

Edited by Mothersweets
  • Like 17

Kareni, love the link to the private New York Library!

Just a quick post with my latest titles:

I'm starting to go through the dramatised titles of the P.D James books I haven't read/listened to yet. 

(ETA:  Decided P.D. James is not my cup of who-dunnit tea after struggling through Cover Her Face and then being put off by the whistler's trademarks in Devices and Desires - stuffing the murdered girls' mouths with pubic hair.  I think I need some non-fiction to change the 'meh' taste in my reading teacup :)  Starting First Lady ~ Sonia Purnell)

Once I've completed The Shattered Tree ~ Charles Todd I may begin reading The Remains of the Day ~ Kazuo Ishiguro

Edited by Tuesdays Child
  • Like 10

As it happens, I read The Pilgrim's Progress (again) this week. It makes good Lenten readng. And it really is set in Bedfordshire: it begins (after the long introductory poem)

As I walked through the wilderness of this world, I lighted on a certain place where was a Den, and I laid me down in that place to sleep: and, as I slept, I dreamed a dream.

Bunyan glossed "Den" as "gaol," meaning Bedfordshire County Gaol, where he famously wrote the book.

It was a tricky reading week with dh gone and I only finished that and Mirador: Dreamed Memories of Irène Némirovsky by her Daughter by Elisabeth Gille, a fictionalized "memoir" of her author-mother who died in Auschwitz when Gille was only five years old.

On to Northamptonshire, and with whom else than the Northamptonshire Poet, John Clare?

• Like 13

Both of the books with Bundle in, The Secret of Chimneys & The Seven Dials Mystery, are some of my favourite A.G titles. I find the grown up Bundle in the later book more fun to read about though.

I wish Sayers had written more Lord Peter stories ;)

Thank you for the link to Snowdon, & sharing your experience there. Wales looks so beautiful!!

(I hope I can do a Kathy, and visit Wales someday too.)

The extra comment I made about the Evans books last week was one that I would find helpful when trying to decide on printed book or audio, so thought I'd share the comment for others that may like to know things like that too.

One of my favourite books in 2016 that I Iistened to, Babylon's Ark ~ Lawrence Anthony, is filled with graphic profanity - I abandoned it and purchased the book: much easier to navigate language content.

The "E" in the Evans' titles would make it a win-win as a quick cosy read for challenges needing that letter :laugh: Enjoy.

(I just want to know which girl he chooses ... hope it wasn't Betsy!)

ETA: if anyone knows about Evans choice of girl could you perhaps pm me... I'd have to purchase all the books to find out otherwise :)

I remember really liking The Seven Dials Mystery also. I am looking forward to my reread of it. I finished Chimeys tonight because it was so good! I was wondering what I would listen to next and just discovered my library hold on the first Tommy and Tuppence is available. :). I have always really loved their books and am curious to read them again to see if I like them as much.

Regarding Evans, I’ve only read the first four because I am guarding my emergency E’s. Sadly I am rather serious. ;). I peeked on Goodreads and if you read the description for the last book (number 10 I think) your question is answered.

Hello all! I read Georgette Heyer's These Old Shades this week and it was less than ok. I was pretty disappointed. So many readers seem to love this one but once the plot was revealed - a wastrel duke (aren't they all?) purchases a young boy on a whim (what the heck?! this was written back in the 20s? so I guess that was ok, then?) BUT it turns out that the young boy is actually a girl and immediately has an unquenchable desire to worship at the feet of His Grace Sir Snootypants (otherwise known as Justin Alastair, the Duke of Avon)and he has to save her from her evil father although we are never told what he did to make an enemy of the Duke of Avon OR why everyone thinks the Duke is Satan personified. Sorry for the spoiler, I just couldn't stand it OR her. She was irritating and we are told she is 19 or 20 but she acted like a young, spoiled schoolgirl. I wanted to give her a kick in the breeches. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8180971-these-old-shades

Also, I want to count this for Brit Tripping but am not sure what county it was in. The hero is the Duke of Avon BUT a good chunk of the story takes place in France. They do go to his ancestral home back in England, so would that mean his home is in Avon? Does a duke's title match up with his county? I'm hoping someone else has read this and remembers because I really don't want to have to search through this book on my kindle!

A Thousand Naked Strangers: A Paramedic's Wild Ride to the Edge and Back by Kevin Hazzard. I really liked this! A memoir by a man who became an EMT then a paramedic in Atlanta. Fascinating reading! It grabbed me right off and I read half of it in one sitting.

I am about 20 pages away from finishing Educated: A Memoir by Tara Westover. This is a memoir by a young woman who was raised in a survivalist/fundamentalist home in the mountains of Idaho by mentally ill parents. She never went to school and homeschooling just didn't happen in her home but she was able to earn a PhD from Cambridge and it's all much more interesting and incredible than I am making it sound. :) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33135584-educated?ac=1&from_search=true

You can listen to her recent interview on NPR's Fresh Air https://www.npr.org/2018/02/20/587244230/memoirist-retraces-her-journey-from-survivalist-childhood-to-cambridge-ph-d

Save[/size]Save[/size]Save[/size]Save[/size]

Amy and I made a new Brit Tripping rule for fictional English towns and counties. They now fall under our Wild Card rule and you can use them for any county of your choice while Brit Tripping. :)

Now for the Duke question......Google was not helpful. :lol: My only answer is Chatsworth which is In Derbyshire. It is considered the family seat for the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire. So I have a current day exception to the county name matching the title.

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 8

There's nothing new on my reading list but I wanted to pop in and comment on last week by saying I'm glad you're feeling better Robin.  :grouphug:

I read Death in a Strange Country - 2 Stars - I really like the protagonist in this series and I enjoy the Venetian setting, but this book was disappointing in that there was no resolution. It just ended and I was beginning to lose interest by that time anyway. Although I’m not American, I didn’t particularly care for the subtle anti-American sentiments in this story. The first book was far more enjoyable. I do plan on reading a few more in this series, since I have heard that they apparently take off after the fourth book. I’ll see. 

You should probably know that a lack of resolution isn't uncommon in this series. I think that's part of what makes the stories realistic. Italian politics is an odd duck and often there is interference from higher levels that prevent a neat and tidy ending. 

As for the anti-American sentiment, the author is an American who lived in Venice for about 30 years. I think that part is also realistic and I'd rather have the realism than glossing over or pretense. However, I haven't seen it come up again and think it's probably because that novel involved an American base. In many countries the people are not happy about having Americans forced on them in a military capacity. I thought it was balanced really. IIRC, Brunetti was sad for the victims and liked one of them very much.

There's more of an anti-tourist sentiment in the series IMO than an anti-one particular country sentiment. I live in a state that heavily depends on tourism dollars and can understand the mixed feelings. It's often annoying to see them ignore the things that make my state desirable while heading only for the tourist attractions. Brunetti feels the same way only his feelings are much stronger.

Oh, I wonder if dss would like this. I sent him a link. He doesn't get a lot of reading time with work, college classes, and 6 and 2 year old boys but he might make time for this. He's a firefighter/paramedic (called a firemedic in our county). 

I guess I did a bit more than just pop in and wish Robin well.  :lol:

• Like 13

Hello all! I read Georgette Heyer's These Old Shades this week and it was less than ok. I was pretty disappointed. So many readers seem to love this one but once the plot was revealed - a wastrel duke (aren't they all?) purchases a young boy on a whim (what the heck?! this was written back in the 20s? so I guess that was ok, then?) BUT it turns out that the young boy is actually a girl and immediately has an unquenchable desire to worship at the feet of His Grace Sir Snootypants (otherwise known as Justin Alastair, the Duke of Avon)and he has to save her from her evil father although we are never told what he did to make an enemy of the Duke of Avon OR why everyone thinks the Duke is Satan personified. Sorry for the spoiler, I just couldn't stand it OR her. She was irritating and we are told she is 19 or 20 but she acted like a young, spoiled schoolgirl. I wanted to give her a kick in the breeches. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8180971-these-old-shades

This review made me laugh out loud.  I enjoyed These Old Shades the first time I read it, but it didn't improve on re-reading.  Heyer does that Shakespearean thing in more than one novel of a young lady playing a boy.  This novel is set earlier than her regency novels, I think.   So I think some buying and selling of servants/peasants might have been going on.   I think Avon had estates in both France and England, didn't he?

• Like 8

Finished up a bunch of books this week, but I think that's partly because I finally finished up two longer ones that have been going on for a few weeks...

16. Embassytown by China Miévile - this was for my SciFi book club, but it's been on my TR list for a while, since I found it on a list of books with language/translating as a theme.  Since then I've read a lot of mixed reviews for Miéville's books, and so was a bit worried if I'd actually like it.  But I really did.  I didn't find it hard to follow or out-there for the sake of it (I think those were some of my worries based on reviews, not necessarily of this book, though).  And being the language nut that I am, I enjoyed the discussions of language, and what it is and isn't in this case.  4 stars.

17. The Wizard and the Prophet: Two Remarkable Scientists and their Dueling Visions to Shape Tomorrow's World by Charles Mann (started as ebook, finished as hardcopy) - This was a really interesting book.  I have actually really liked all of Charles Mann's books I've read (the others being 1491 and 1493) - I think his way of zooming out to see the big picture (even in books that could be considered microhistories) appeals to me.  This was a story of the beginnings and evolution of the concept of ecology and environment and humanity's role in it, and what it should be to make sure we don't all disappear from the planet, and two scientists that had very different ideas of how that should work (and their legacies).  Highly recommended. 4 stars.

18. The Ornament of the World by María Rosa Menocal (audiobook) - About the history and influence of Al-Andalus in Medieval Spain.  The author does tend to go around in circles and repeat herself a lot, but I'm interested in the subject, especially as she focuses on cultural and social history, not battles and politics.  So, I did enjoy it and feel like I learned a lot. 4 stars.

19. The Girl in the Tower by Katherine Arden - I've had this book out since early January but another book always cut in line.  But I really, really loved it.  Yes, I'm a sucker for a well-told story that incorporates fairy/folk tales and myth, and I think this one was very well told. Now I have to wait for the next book in the series (didn't even know it was going to be a trilogy when I read the first one!)  5+ stars and   :001_wub:

Currently reading:

The Samurai's Garden by Gail Tsukiyama (audiobook) - Random audiobook pick off Overdrive, since the ones I have on hold refuse to actually come my way!  About a consumptive 20-yo Chinese man who is sent to recover in his family's beach home in Japan - while Japan is invading China.  Not sure exactly where it's going, but interesting so far.

Corazón tan blanco by Javier Marías (ebook) - I think this was actually another of the books recommended on that same list from last year where the books' themes were langauge/translation.  The main character and his wife (who are on their honeymoon as the book opens) are both translators.  Only a very little bit in, so far our narrator is whining about feeling trapped by marriage (yes, on his honeymoon).  There's apparently a bunch of backstory, I'm sure I'll get there.

Abriendo puertas - an anthology of Spanish/Latin American lit.  Going to work through this slowly alongside other stuff.

The New Spaniards by John Hooper - planning to get through this in time for my trip to Spain in April.  He wrote the first edition of this in the late 1980's, which was about when I lived there (just 10 years after Franco's half century of fascist rule), but this edition talks about the massive changes since then as well (it has been another 30 years!!!)

• Like 13

I didn't finish anything this week, BUT I did pass a big milestone.  I've never been able to get past The Grand Inquisitor chapter in The Brothers Karamasov.  But this time I am listening to it, instead of reading it which is working much better for me, for this book.  I'm now several chapters past that daunting chapter.  I actually was really absorbed by it and am joining the ranks of those who say Dostoyevsky is brilliant!

• Like 14

I am struggling a bit this week to find books that hold my attention.

I did read https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33957306-saint-mother-teresa-of-calcutta Saint Mother Teresa of Calcutta.  I would give it a 3 stars.  I am not Catholic so that might influence my thoughts.  It was good but not riviting, etc.  Nice overview of her life.

The other book I finished was Minimalist Living https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19540186-minimalist-living Another 3 ish stars.  Nothing really new but a great starting point if you are wanting to downsize, declutter, get some motivation to become more of a minimalist.  She is not radical though and allows for more "things" and "Stuff" than many out there.

I am listening to an audio book that is OK, but not great.  I really need a good listen.  I would love a funny, lighthearted easy to listen book but so many of the ones listen under humor also are rated R or a strong PG 13 and I just want nice, clean(ish) fun listening.

• Like 13

This review made me laugh out loud.  I enjoyed These Old Shades the first time I read it, but it didn't improve on re-reading.  Heyer does that Shakespearean thing in more than one novel of a young lady playing a boy.  This novel is set earlier than her regency novels, I think.   So I think some buying and selling of servants/peasants might have been going on.   I think Avon had estates in both France and England, didn't he?

I forgot to mention that this one isn't her usual Regency setting. It's the Georgian era - the whole gang even goes to party at Versailles a couple times. And yes, he has estates in both countries although I wish I could remember the county the English one is in!

• Like 10

Laura, which Bill Bryson are you reading?

This week I read The Sabbath World: Glimpses of a Different Order of Time, by Judith Shulevitz.  Shulevitz is a literary critic (and a fabulous writer) and it's probably most accurate to describe the book as an intellectual history of the Sabbath, framed inside the author's personal struggle with Shabbat observance.  Shulevitz is Jewsh, as am I, and we're of the same general flavor (i.e. somewhat but not stringently observant) so her own story hit close to home.   By far the most fascinating part of the book, though, was her historical account of the Christian Sabbath, particularly the Anabaptist Sabbatarian movement that sprung up during the Reformation.  It had simply never occurred to me that for Christians there might be some very real theological problems around keeping a Sabbath.  Anyway, it's a terrific book, and I heartily recommend it to anyone even mildly interested in the topic.

Edited by JennyD
  • Like 12

I remember really liking The Seven Dials Mystery also. I am looking forward to my reread of it. I finished Chimeys tonight because it was so good! I was wondering what I would listen to next and just discovered my library hold on the first Tommy and Tuppence is available. :). I have always really loved their books and am curious to read them again to see if I like them as much.

Regarding Evans, I’ve only read the first four because I am guarding my emergency E’s. Sadly I am rather serious. ;). I peeked on Goodreads and if you read the description for the last book (number 10 I think) your question is answered.

Thank you!!! (Hope I haven't spoiled that question for you though.)

• Like 7

I finished A Gentleman in Moscow this week the night before it was due at the library (and then forgot to return it so it was a day late anyway, but no fine). Loved it. I am still reading The Underground Railroad and am hitting sections that overwhelm me a bit, and I need to take a break now and then. I was going to try to finish it before my bookclub on Tuesday night so I could loan the book out, but that might not happen. I will go at the pace required.

Next up is another library book, the latest Flavia--The Grave's a Fine and Private Place. That should be more fun.

• Like 13

Let's see... I gave up trying to keep track of the kids... oh well.  I kind of knew that would happen. :lol:  But my 6th grader has finished all of his 'required' reading for the school year... I just haven't told him that.  :D  I'm just pulling books off the shelf now for him to read.  :P

I'm reading The Murder of Roger Ackroyd right now.  I think it's fun.  I've never read anything Agatha Christie before, and I know this one isn't one of the most loved of her books, but the library had it at the time and it fits in with Chrysanthemum (yes, I'm STILL working on it!) so.  But yeah, I like it.  If I just sat down with it I'd probably get through it pretty fast; however, we decided to rewatch all of the Avatar: The Last Airbender TV series (because it's like the best cartoon created, ever, and then its successor, Korra, is horrid), taking up a fair amount of my evening time.  :lol:  

We also made an offer on a house and are waiting to see what happens with that.  We've been casually looking for about a year.  So there's that.  It's going to require some downsizing throughout the house, which I'm really excited about lol.  I KonMari my closet every year, and try to inspire my family to do the same, but so far haven't had a ton of luck.  This may be my chance!  :D

• Like 14

A currently free classic for Kindle readers; this is for one day only ~

Tender Buttons by Gertrude Stein

"A classic work of experimental poetry by a titan of modernist literature

Tender Buttons, Stein’s first published work of poetry, debuted in 1914 as a volume of powerful avant-garde expression. This meditation on ordinary living is presented in three compelling sections—“Objects,†“Food,†and “Roomsâ€â€”through which Stein delights in experiments with language. Emphasizing rhythm and sonority over traditional grammar, Stein’s wordplay has garnered praise from readers and critics alike. In “A Piece of Coffee,†for example, Stein plays with conventional language and cubist imagery to produce a stunningly original literary effect:

A single image is not splendor. Dirty is yellow. A sign of more is not mentioned. A piece of coffee is not a detainer. The resemblance to yellow is dirtier and distincter. The clean mixture is whiter and not coal color, never more coal color than altogether."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

I haven't read TOS but I read the sequel - Devil's Cub and hated it. Yes. I actively hated a GH book. There were so many things that I disliked that I won't list them all here but Leonie was on that list. Ugh. I guess I'm just commiserating with you since I'm not a good enough friend to suffer through any more Leonie and read TOS to help you determine which county it is in. Perhaps we can allow it as a Wild Card.

I am listening to an audio book that is OK, but not great.  I really need a good listen.  I would love a funny, lighthearted easy to listen book but so many of the ones listen under humor also are rated R or a strong PG 13 and I just want nice, clean(ish) fun listening.

I haven't noticed that you read much fantasy but this is a book I listened to with DD a number of years ago and it was just simply splendid. Exciting. Funny. Narrator was AMAZING.

Skulduggery Pleasant

You also can't go wrong with any of the Agatha Christie novels narrated by Hugh Fraser - not humorous but great easy listening.

Also highly recommend:

Miss Buncle's Book by DE Stevenson - delightful sweet story with humor

Anything PG Wodehouse ever wrote - all of it is so funny. Don't try to drive and listen though. You'll end up across town with no memory of how you got there and sore ribs from laughing so much.

A Long Way from Chicago by Richard Peck - another favorite author of mine. He writes middle grade novels but adults love them also. You will laugh out loud listening to him.

Cadfael mysteries are fantastic audiobooks but not really funny

The Cat Who mysteries are another cozy mystery series that a splendid. A little bit of humor but not of the laugh out loud variety.

Patrick McManus's books are hilarious. He's like Dave Barry meets the great outdoors.

These are all books I would listen to with my family so I'd rate them all PG.

Let's see... I gave up trying to keep track of the kids... oh well.  I kind of knew that would happen. :lol:  But my 6th grader has finished all of his 'required' reading for the school year... I just haven't told him that.   :D  I'm just pulling books off the shelf now for him to read.   :p

I'm reading The Murder of Roger Ackroyd right now.  I think it's fun.  I've never read anything Agatha Christie before, and I know this one isn't one of the most loved of her books, but the library had it at the time and it fits in with Chrysanthemum (yes, I'm STILL working on it!) so.  But yeah, I like it.  If I just sat down with it I'd probably get through it pretty fast; however, we decided to rewatch all of the Avatar: The Last Airbender TV series (because it's like the best cartoon created, ever, and then its successor, Korra, is horrid), taking up a fair amount of my evening time.   :lol:

We also made an offer on a house and are waiting to see what happens with that.  We've been casually looking for about a year.  So there's that.  It's going to require some downsizing throughout the house, which I'm really excited about lol.  I KonMari my closet every year, and try to inspire my family to do the same, but so far haven't had a ton of luck.  This may be my chance!   :D

Good luck on the house! Let us know what happens.

I'm also working on Chrysanthemum. I'm looking for a Y book now.

• Like 11

Books finished:

• Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. Fantasy - Time Travel. A British nurse travels back in time to Jacobin Scotland. A re-read and #89 on NPR's Sci-Fi/Fantasy List.
  • The Only Harmless Great Thing by Brooke Bolander . Fantasy. A girl who works in a radium dial factory teams up with her helper elephant to surprise those who hurt them. I loved the "Best Beloved Mooncalf" stories as a call back to Rudyard Kipling's "Just So" stories and the descriptions of elephant culture. Much too short though. I was going to use it for the "Elephant on the Cover" square on the bingo, but it's only 96 pages.
  • Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn. Science Fiction - Space Opera. An admiral of the defeated Empire locates a dark Jedi to fight against the new Republic. Within a few chapters, I realized that I'd actually read this book before, probably when it was first published. My father was both a Star Wars and Star Trek fan so it was likely on his bookshelves. A good, nostalgic read for me. #88 on NPR's Sci-Fi/Fantasy Top 100.

I'm finishing up The Unbanking of America: How the Middle Class Survives and Red Planet Blues. I thought I owned The Book of the New Sun which is next on the NPR list, but no luck finding it on my bookshelves. I'm waiting for it to arrive at the library. The Furies of Calderon and Anathem (Neal Stephenson, ack!!!) are up after that.

• Like 8

I'm reading The Murder of Roger Ackroyd right now.  I think it's fun.  I've never read anything Agatha Christie before, and I know this one isn't one of the most loved of her books, but the library had it at the time and it fits in with Chrysanthemum (yes, I'm STILL working on it!) so.  But yeah, I like it.  If I just sat down with it I'd probably get through it pretty fast; however, we decided to rewatch all of the Avatar: The Last Airbender TV series (because it's like the best cartoon created, ever, and then its successor, Korra, is horrid), taking up a fair amount of my evening time.   :lol:

Roger Ackroyd is one of my favorite Christies!  I read through a ton of her stuff one summer when I was stuck in a house and that's all there was to read, and that's one of three that really stuck with me.  The rest kind of blend together...

Avatar is awesome but I haven't seen Korra.  Dd has watched it, but I haven't been tempted.

• Like 9

Roger Ackroyd is one of my favorite Christies!  I read through a ton of her stuff one summer when I was stuck in a house and that's all there was to read, and that's one of three that really stuck with me.  The rest kind of blend together...

:iagree:

And I had always heard of it as one of the best, if not the best Agatha Christie.

• Like 9

I haven't read TOS but I read the sequel - Devil's Cub and hated it. Yes. I actively hated a GH book. There were so many things that I disliked that I won't list them all here but Leonie was on that list. Ugh. I guess I'm just commiserating with you since I'm not a good enough friend to suffer through any more Leonie and read TOS to help you determine which county it is in. Perhaps we can allow it as a Wild Card.

I appreciate your commiseration :)  - glad to know I'm not alone in the "Leonie is a real pain in the rear" club! I'll make sure to NOT read Devil's Cub. 

• Like 5

I feel like we're all sitting here drumming our fingers waiting for your review. Since it's your first Agatha and all we can't wait to see what you think ...

• Like 6

:iagree:

And I had always heard of it as one of the best, if not the best Agatha Christie.

I feel like we're all sitting here drumming our fingers waiting for your review. Since it's your first Agatha and all we can't wait to see what you think ...

I remember Roger Ackroyd as being the best also! I am looking forward to the review. :)

I have to admit I seem to be enjoying some of the Agatha Christie's far more in order than in the whatever I can grab off the shelf method that was my first time through. I really enjoyed The Secret Adversary which I originally read after the other Tommy and Tuppence series and was originally a bit disappointed in. So I gave it a rather enthusiastic 5* on Goodreads because I had really enjoyed listening to it and am now concerned I proclaimed it the best Christie ever to all of my Goodreads friends which it probably isn't. I did have fun and it is a good one! ;)

I have decided to skip Murder on the Links in my Christie reread. There is no unabridged audio available on overdrive and it is one I have watched far too many times on telly. I have a hold on several so no idea what the next one will be. I am hoping for The Man in the Brown Suit........

I also finished Beneath the Sugar Sky which is the third Wayward Children book by Seanan McGuire. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27366528-beneath-the-sugar-sky. Not as good as the others! I do hope the series continues but I wish the books were longer. I really think this book just needed more in the parts that were skipped through in a couple of pages for me to have loved it!

I hope all of our ill BaWer's are feeling better today!

• Like 9

I'm still reading Eye of the World. That's a long way to get the E on ROSE, but I don't mind. Still not into the book yet. But epics like that usually don't start in the middle of the action. I'll keep plodding along and I figure we'll get somewhere in the end. 

• Like 6

A currently free classic for Kindle readers; this is for one day only ~

The Narrative of Sojourner Truth by Sojourner Truth

"From slavery to liberation to life as an abolitionist, feminist, orator, and preacher—the autobiography of a woman who refused to be anything but free.

Born into slavery in New York around 1797, then sold from master to master, Sojourner Truth spent her formative years witnessing the cruelty inherent in the institution of slavery. Escaping to a friendly household before emancipation, she learned that her young son had been sold illegally and launched a lawsuit that would end with his release—the first time in America that a black woman went to court against a white man and won.

But Truth hadn’t even begun her work. She made it her life’s mission to free all those who were considered less than equal—both those in chains and those held down because of their gender—ultimately inspiring her friends and followers with the legendary speech that came to be known as “Ain’t I a Woman?†So great was Truth’s renown and respect that she met with President Abraham Lincoln in 1864. She was later named one of the 100 Most Significant Americans of All Time by Smithsonian magazine.

Published in 1850, The Narrative of Sojourner Truth was spoken aloud to Truth’s friend and neighbor Olive Gilbert, as she herself was illiterate. Along with The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, it remains one of the most moving and eloquent slave narratives—a testament to the resilience of the human spirit."

Also free:

Monstrous Creatures by Steph Young

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

I finshed the two books for two different book clubs.  

The first was my choice of a food mystery- Bed, Breakfast and Bones:A Ravenwood Mystery.  **  I normally like cozies but not this one. I know I won't remember it because it was not all that remarkable and I did not find the main character engaging.  I don't know if I will bring this one up at book club or go with one of my favorite food mystery authors who appears to have stopped writing books- Diane Mott Davison and her Goldie Schulz series.  

Second book finished so far this week is In the Shadow of Alabama by Judy Reene Singer---- I didn;t like the book so again **,  The parts of the book I liked much better were the places where the author was recounting events during WWII in Alabama.  But altogether the main character was unpleasant, her entire family was unpleasant and the tone of the book was really New Yorkish. elitist, along with way too much horse stuff plus awful editing.  My middle dd thinks I will cave if others liked the book.  She didn't observe me in social psychology class where we were basically guinea pigs for the other students (we all took turn being the observers behind the two-way mirror.  I and one other boy were almost always on the opposite side of the class from all the others- we were conservative and actually liked Reagan and this class was during the 1984 election year. I don't cave.

Finally able to finish my Le Carre book that is actually well written.  I will follow up with Sue Grafton's last book and with an MC Beaton Hamish mystery.  

• Like 5

I had a long post ready to go, and then lost it by stupidly clicking in the wrong place.

Synopsis:  I'm enjoying the audio of Whose Body by Nadia May.  She seems to deal with Lord Peter's drawl in a way that's not annoying to me.  I couldn't even read the book when I tried a few years ago!  She is a favorite of mine, maybe because I've also seen her on stage, as Wanda McCaddon.  (Don't know which if either is her real name.)

Missed the Bedfordshire bus.  Not up for a reread of Pilgrim's Progress right now.   But I did complete my visit to Huntingdonshire on Sunday by finishing Missing, Presumed!  

And that's all there's time for right now!

• Like 5

I had a long post ready to go, and then lost it by stupidly clicking in the wrong place.

Just an FYI to all, 'cause this has happened to me and I hate it - I found out by accident that if this happens, the post can be recovered.  Even if you closed the window by accident!  Go back to the thread you were responding to (even if you have to open a new window to get back there), and in the bottom left of the Reply window it will say "Last auto saved..." and if you click on that, it will restore all the stuff you typed and thought you blew into oblivion!!   I have now recovered very long posts more than once.  

• Like 11

Synopsis:  I'm enjoying the audio of Whose Body by Nadia May.  She seems to deal with Lord Peter's drawl in a way that's not annoying to me.  I couldn't even read the book when I tried a few years ago!  She is a favorite of mine, maybe because I've also seen her on stage, as Wanda McCaddon.  (Don't know which if either is her real name.)

Missed the Bedfordshire bus.  Not up for a reread of Pilgrim's Progress right now.   But I did complete my visit to Huntingdonshire on Sunday by finishing Missing, Presumed!  

And that's all there's time for right now!

I just discovered that Nadia May is the narrator that I loved with The Secret Adversary. She was wonderful! I will try to find more that she has done.

Just an FYI to all, 'cause this has happened to me and I hate it - I found out by accident that if this happens, the post can be recovered.  Even if you closed the window by accident!  Go back to the thread you were responding to (even if you have to open a new window to get back there), and in the bottom left of the Reply window it will say "Last auto saved..." and if you click on that, it will restore all the stuff you typed and thought you blew into oblivion!!   I have now recovered very long posts more than once.

I'm not seeing the Last Auto Saved on either my fire or IPad. Wondering if it doesn't show on mobile devices?

• Like 4

I'm not seeing the Last Auto Saved on either my fire or IPad. Wondering if it doesn't show on mobile devices?

Hmmm, that could well be.  I only type long responses on  my laptop.  I'm way too lazy to type that much on my phone (my only tablet-y device), so all my well-thought out post losses have been on the laptop...

• Like 5

A contemporary romance I read and enjoyed is currently free for Kindle readers; be aware there is adult content ~

The Gamble (Colorado Mountain Series Book 1)  by  Kristen Ashley

Robin, is this one you also read?

Regards,

Kareni

Yes, Ma'am.  I read the majority of the series.   It's been a while.  Worth a reread!   Also enjoyed her Rock Chick series. Action adventure romance type of stories with great characters, lovable as well as humorous.

• Like 3

I jumped off the bus entirely and went to Canada for a while with Louise Penny's Glass Houses.  Then went to Sierra Leone with Cindy Gerard's Last Man Standing which is # 7 in her black ops series.   Debating on whether to start Jordan's Crossroads of Twilight or take the rebel bus to Oxfordshire in Chadwick's Lady of the English or London with Sheri Cobb South's Dinner Most Deadly.  Decisions! Decisions!   

Thank Matryoshka for pointing out Last Auto Saved. I'd never noticed it before.  

Karen - Thank you for all the great links.  I enjoyed reading about the private library. Would love to go there. 

Kara - I totally enjoyed Murder of Roger Ackroyd as well.  So many twists and turns.  

• Like 7