Menu

For those of you suffering from any chronic illness

Night Elf

Here's a great big  :grouphug: . Sorry, I'm having another bad day, not terrible, but not good. All I keep thinking of is this is for life. And there's no turning it off to get a break.

Today I told my therapist that I am walking on egg shells, scared of another bipolar episode. She said 'Oh honey, get off those egg shells. You're going to have another episode. It may be soon or it may be months away. Walk proud and be happy.

That is all.

• Like 15

I feel guilty applying either "suffering" or "chronic illness" to my situation, but I will confess that I'm not having a great February, health-wise. Fifteen months after having my thyroid removed, we're still working on getting dosages right for my meds, which means I'm still having symptoms including palpitations and heightened anxiety. Intellectually, I know the feelings are temporary and not "real," but I'm just sick of dealing with the whole thing.

So, big (gentle) hugs going out from me to everyone coping with their own stuff.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

(((Hugs))). I have a host of auto-immunes disorders. I don’t know how long it’s been for you, but there is a definite grieving process with chronic illness. It comes and goes, but as time goes on you spend more and more time in the “acceptance†stage. It sounds like your therapist is trying to rush you right there, but it’s OK to spend time grieving (just try to stay out of the denial stage, particularly with bipolar.)

• Like 3

(((Hugs))). I have a host of auto-immunes disorders. I don’t know how long it’s been for you, but there is a definite grieving process with chronic illness. It comes and goes, but as time goes on you spend more and more time in the “acceptance†stage. It sounds like your therapist is trying to rush you right there, but it’s OK to spend time grieving (just try to stay out of the denial stage, particularly with bipolar.)

This.

Hugs to you. Keep talking and writing about it. It helps with processing it.

You’re not alone. I’m sure it feels that way sometimes, but you are definitely not alone.

Bipolar is hard - my son has it, and it’s a struggle - but you can do this, and you have support.

My own chronic illnesses have been a huge journey, lots of grieving, but with time - I hit the point that it’s just my life, and I can see the beauty in every day again. It comes and goes.

I don't think she's trying to rush me. She's an interesting character. I like how she thinks and how she explains things to me. She's kind of new agey so we talk about mindfulness a lot. 

As for accepting the fact I have bipolar, I thought I had. But it was false. I spent 8 years stabilized with only anxiety breakouts. I had a use-as-needed anxiety medicine so I never went through anything bad. Then some time ago, I don't remember but I'm sure I posted about it here, I had a bad bipolar episode. The doc upped my meds and I thought everything was going to be okay again. Now in the past two weeks I've had two episodes. The only positive thing I can say about them is that I cycle fast. I don't spend days in a hypomanic state. It's less than a day and the next day I'm just tired. So I went back to my therapist that I haven't seen since late last year and told her to please help me learn to accept this condition under real thoughts and not false ones. She was just saying that since I have bipolar, I am likely to have another attack whether it's soon or months/years from now. I need to learn to be happy and not be stressed just waiting for an episode. That's what I want for myself. I have so many good things going for me. I should be in a very happy state right now but instead I'm frustrated and angry.

• Like 1