Menu

Would this bother you? (cc)

historically accurate

Our church doesn't do Awanas or kids' club until Jr. High age. Therefore, we have always sent the kids to a neighboring church for this. They all did Awanas at my in-law's church until a couple of years ago when they closed the program. Since then, they go to a non-denominational church near us who runs their own "Awanas-like" program. My youngest is the only one who still attends; the others are in middle school & high school now.

I got a notification last night that next week is Spring Break week. What that means is wear your summer and/or beach wear. It has a clip art picture of a cartoon man wearing swim trunks and a lei carrying a beach chair and umbrella on it. You can't really see his bare chest but it's there.

At the bottom of the page it says "Please no girls in swimsuits". The group consists of PreK-5th graders. Sixth and up are in a different program which is not included in Spring Break week. 

I wouldn't have sent her in a swimsuit anyway, and it is their church to make their own rules. But it makes me feel "icky" that they have singled out girls for the only rule. I can't really figure out why I feel weird about it, but I do. It seems off that they are okay with the bare chest on the cartoon, but a girls swimsuit is wrong? not modest? too revealing? I don't know what all. Would this bother you? Or am I over-reacting (not that I plan to do anything about it since it isn't my church, it just rubs me the wrong way)?

I would be annoyed that they singled out girls in that way. Are they ok with boys coming in swim trunks and no shirt?

If not they should have clarified that beach attire is acceptable but ask that no one come dressed in a swim suit.

I would call and get clarification and point out how their note sounds.

• Like 4

Totally inappropriate.  It should have clearly stated, "Beachwear, but no swimsuits, please!" without calling out girls.  

Frankly, I'm not the person who usually gets upset about dress codes being more detailed for girls vs boys.  I generally see the logic and do not feel it's sexist.  But this particular guideline, for pre-pubsecent girls, is ridiculous!  

• Like 3

I've been in many church "circles" and to point out girls seems odd to me.  Usually they would say "no swimsuits" if they didn't want swimsuits.  

The snarky side of me says that someone male should show up in a speedo.  But I have terrible thoughts like that.  I might be scary in my old age when I no longer give a care what anyone things  :lol:

• Like 5

I think they would have been fine if they just would have said dress for the tropics or summer or something.   Gross to pick on girls.  Given it's not your church though, I probably wouldn't call or follow up.  I might not participate in that program any more if it felt like their were pushy with girls and modesty in an uncomfortable way.

I would have preferred for them to say no swimsuits, period.  But as you note, it's a church, and it's not your church.  They are entitled to their views on modesty or whatever, and you're entitled to opt out.

If we're going to dictate what other religious bodies are allowed to restrict, where does it end?  Almost all of us would dislike some religious dress (or diet etc) requirement somewhere.  But it's not for us to say - unless of course there is abuse involved.

Edited by SKL

Good grief! What a stupid comment and stupid photo to choose.  But it's North America and some churches love to get all wigged out about these things.  So join in the drama, or just ignore it and get on with life. If you have trusted these people enough to attend their program all this time, are you suddenly at the point where they've all crossed some line?

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

Yeah that is not cool. I do bet though they didn't mean it in an icky way. It's just that typical girl swimsuits are revealing and typical boy swimming clothes are not assuming the boys would be expexted to wear a shirt. What would have been best would have been to say, no revealing swim wear or something. I personally wouldn't instantly just assume they were sexist or creepy or anything negative. They just chose a not so great way to say it. I'm the queen of things not coming across clearly when I put it on paper, so I'd forgive them.

• Like 2