Menu

Cost for replacement windows?

Garga

I have 12 windows. They're getting old. Some are leaky.

We had a guy here from Andersen to give us an estimate on the cost of replacing them.

All 12 would be $25,000. With discounts it would be $22,000.

The house cost us only $125,000 (15 years ago...but when I look at houses for sale on my street, they're still only going for $140 or so).

Is it normal for the windows to be 20% of the cost of the house?? Of course, if the house is worth $140 now, then they're less than 20%, but I can't get it out of my head that the windows would be 20% of what I paid for the entire house.

It seemed like a huge number to me. I thought each window would be slightly under $1000 ($800 or so) and didn't expect more than $12k. The windows are standard sizes and nothing unusual. What do you guys think?

We do plan on getting more estimates.

Edited by Garga

We just finished replacing 12 windows (including a special ordered one that is 6 feet high by 10 feet wide and has rounded corners) last week.  Our total was less than half your quoted price (and house value is almost double yours).  The brand is Pella, although we didn't pick the brand that is just what the installer used.  The small tidbit I did learn was that crank out windows are significantly more expensive than double hung or sliders because they are actually 2 separate windows for each window frame.  Since I absolutely despised the crank outs I had,  I was very happy to replace them with something I liked better and was cheaper too.

I'm sure cost of living plays a part but I would definitely look around a bit more.

Edited by cjzimmer1

.  Since I absolutely despised the crank outs I had,  I was very happy to replace them with something I liked better and was cheaper too.

My current house has cranks and I hate them!  The windows are lovely wood windows, but the cranks... ugh.  We have had to replace two so far, and they are not cheap.  And they interfere with window coverings.

Andersen windows are $$$$.  My house is close to what yours is in value and I'd never put those in here.  Maybe if I had one of those 2-story living rooms with a wall of glass, if the insulation and energy efficiency made $$$$ windows worth it.  I have a "wall of windows" in my 1-story living room and the cheaper ones (installed in 2007) work just fine.

We're having three basement windows and a french door replaced with a slider (with blinds between the glass) in a few months.  The estimate for materials and labor is about $4200 from a local company, but I can't remember the name of the windows.  I'd have to dig out the paperwork.  We had double panes replaced on a large window and a different sliding door in the fall, and that was less than $700.

Definitely get other estimates from local window installers, and ask for detailed specs so you can compare apples-to-apples.    Are they double pane, double hung, etc.?   Do you live in a zone where the building code specifies what type of windows you can use?

We replaced all of the windows in our house last year and it was very expensive - in the ballpark of what you were quoted - but we live in FL and the code requires that we get full impact windows, rated for 140 mph winds, and because some of the windows are low to the ground, they had to be tempered glass - all of which added to the cost.   We also have 5 arched windows, which were also very expensive.    But our cost was for 19  windows, plus a sliding glass door, plus a patio bath door.    So comparatively, the quote you received does sound high.

When we were getting estimates, I had one company come out and the guy spent about 2 hours at my house giving me a very long-winded explanation of which window type he'd recommend, why, etc., but when we got his written proposal, it had no details - just the number of windows and a total cost.   My DH called him and tried to get the specs on the windows he was proposing but he couldn't provide a cost per window, detailed breakdown of manufacturer and what type of windows, etc.   Other companies provided a very detailed proposal with exact specs on each window, cost per window, and cost to install, and we chose to go with one of them.

sounds inflated.  I was getting quotes like that - and worse, nine/ten years ago.  I would never have a window company install them - they inflate the price.

we replaced our windows (maybe 10 years ago) . . . we have 13 windows.  (well, had - we combined four windows into two larger windows that opened.).   we bought the windows and had our own trusted handyman install them.

we paid <$13K for just the windows.  milgard ee (including two bigs ones with a southern solar option) wood look vinyl with an upper grid. doesn't include installation - as the labor was all part and parcel of a bunch of stuff we were having done. (including replacing three doors and major deck repair.)

but we did get a heck of a price - our handyman (we've used for a number of things) was jealous of the price.

things you want to look at, in addition to what has been mentioned: energy effciency and if they have the gas between the panes?   those windows we combined - are full west/sw facing and the heat gain in the afternoon was intolerable in the summer.   even though i live in the pnw - I wanted the energy efficiency of a southern window - huge difference. 

if you do a film/tint (reduce glare, UV, heat-gain, etc.) - how will that affect your view out the window?  (dh didn't want anything to affect his view)

Andersen windows will last forever. We put in 2 big ones -- well, it counted as 5 because of the bay window w/2 side panels and another large window with a half-circle of glass above it. $11K. Ouch! If you go with Milgard brand/standard windows I think it will be less and they'll last 10-plus years w/o deteriorating. We have 3 more south-facing windows that we want to do but will hold off for awhile!!

If you have to ask the price, you can't afford Andersen windows.   15 years ago I replaced all the single-pane builder's grade windows with double-pane, double-hung, both parts tilt.   They are no name windows.  I've been very happy with them, and they were very reasonably priced.   While he was installing them, I had him replace many windowsills that were rotting from the leaks.   He made them extra deep because I had cats that liked there.    In fact, the only nuisance was that I had to break my habit of touching the window in the morning to see what I should wear.   

Are you handy at all? Replacing windows is actually pretty easy. We have done all of ours ourselves except for the set of giant floor to ceiling unframed ones in the living room. 

But we have boring vinyl track sliding windows ( this is a 1960s faux modern house and 99% of the insane value is the lot - so it's a Vancouver tear down) We used JeldWen from HomeDepot.  Most of our windows ran about 250-450 each. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

We used Window World (a franchise you may or may not have locally) and we had 20 windows done (including a picture window at the front of the house) for less than $7500. We are perfectly happy and the company was excellent to work with and the installation happened in one long day. 

We had also gotten a quote from Home Depot and that was closer to $30,000. I’m sure the HD ones were higher quality but our house is less than $200,000. 

It’s been about three years and we have had no problems. Was a great purchase!

On 12/21/2017 at 6:49 AM, Arctic Mama said:

Look into Gilkey. The house we are buying has them and they’re amazing quality, but not nearly as marked up as Marvin or Anderson windows.

http://www.gilkey.com

We used these two houses ago. Still paid $1200 to have a double slider installed, but it was WAY cheaper than the name brands.

dd just ordered windows and doors (three sets of sliding doors - one with a dog door, and a front door.).  interior and exterior trim.  I dont' remember everything else.  she was very concerned about street noise (and what she calls the "frat house next door" - twenty something males.).  supposed to be installed next week, I think she said it was around $30K.  she's also getting new garage doors.  she did talk to at least three or four companies.