Menu

Physical Activity in Winter

Elizabeth86

Where I live we get some snow to play in which I enjoy, but most of winter it's just cold and yuck. I don't find it enjoyable to be outside at all especially because my 4 year old has no tolerence for extreme temperatures. He complains the whole time. My 6 year old and 2 year old don't seem bothered so much. What can we do to stay active this winter. Our homeschool group has a gym day twice a month, but I haven't gone yet. 1. 2x a month seems not worth it in a way. The lady in charge described it as this...she has actual gym activities planned so there will be little to no time for free play. I dunno, that just seemed to suck the fun out of. meeting up with other homeschool families. All the indoor play places are an hour and a half away. So any tips to think of something fun to outside I would appreciate. My house is tiny so there is not much running around.

Can you turn your garage into a play area? If it's clean enough, you could stick some scooters out there, a kids basketball thing (like little tykes, not a regular one) roller skates, that sort of stuff.

It would be my pleasure if we had one. We have a 1,070sq ft house, no garage, no basement.

Outside time is important. I know one mom who instituted a daily walk rain or shine, cold or hot for 30 minutes. Her could got into the routine and expected family walk time daily, so that cut down on the weather related complaints because it was just routine.

My kids were in multiple exercise related activities a week (swim lessons, homeschool gymnastics, homeschool gym at the Y). So we didn't do the daily walk. However, that meant sometimes we didn't do outside time everyday. I think that was a mistake. If I was turning back time 18 years to when I had a 5yob and a 2 yog I'd put in outside time somehow.

As far as the organized gym time is concerned, it can fun and doing that with structure can make it more inclusive to all who participate. If you turn a group of kids loose to play there will be kids excluded from activity. Having structure means everyone gets a chance.

• Like 3

I'd bundle up the 4yo and go out anyway. Long johns or snow pants under/over his pants, lots of extra layers on top under a coat, a hat and baklava, and thick, waterproof mittens. Just because everyone else is comfortable in a mid weight jacket doesn't mean he has to dress the same way.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I agree with Diana P. About gettting out every day. I raised my kids in a pretty extreme climate so I know it’s hard. And your kids are in a difficult stage - no sooner get them into snowsuits than one needs to go to the bathroom or one falls down or.... It’s very frustrating! But if you can build it into your schedule - we’re going outside for 30 minutes every day after lunch except ______ - and then just do it. Make sure everybody has the right clothes - maybe your 4 yo runs colder than the others and needs more/better clothing. Maybe he or she just has a more complaining nature (I have one of each!!) Either way, they’ll adjust and everybody will be happier for getting outside, including you (of course, you might be happier when you get back in!).

Anne

• Like 7

Oh man, that's a recipe for crazy making.

Do you have a McDs with a play place inside? Or a chuck e cheese? You could do places like that once a week.

Another option is to try to force yourself to get out and at least get a 15 minute walk in each day that the weather isn't EXTREME.

I think 30 min is the closest, we could do this.

Can you get a mini trampoline?  When my sons were little, we had an older couch and would just pull the cushions off of it and let the kids jump on the cushions and play together.  I don't know if there are any kids exercise videos on youtube or not, but maybe there's something there they can follow along with.  Or do Simon Says and have them run in place, do jumping jacks, etc.?  

Can you get a mini trampoline? When my sons were little, we had an older couch and would just pull the cushions off of it and let the kids jump on the cushions and play together. I don't know if there are any kids exercise videos on youtube or not, but maybe there's something there they can follow along with. Or do Simon Says and have them run in place, do jumping jacks, etc.?

That sounds good!

I'm not so good about getting everyone out all of the time, either. I agree that having the right clothes is essential! When we used to be in grad school, we lived in family housing. There were a lot of international students, and when it got cold and snowy, they were outside so much more than Americans. Around the world people go outside in a lot more severe weather than people tend to do in the US. That helps me remember that as long as we have the right clothes, we can play outside.

I'm kind of forcing us to go outside a little bit each week because we have a library and music lessons we can walk to. So on Mondays we go to the library and on Wednesday to music lessons. They're both a 10-15 minute walk, depending on how fast kids go.

We live in Minnesota.  Having the proper gear and layers is essential.  Just get out.  It feels awful at first but improves quickly, especially if you're dressed well.  We have used the daily walk technique at times and I really like that quite a bit.  I took my kids out bundled up in strollers with a cover when they were infants to toddlers too.  It can be done.  It makes winter so much more tolerable if you can find a sense of zen about it.

• Like 6

The Anchorage School District says its too cold for outdoor recess when it is colder than -5F

Anne

lol, yeah we rarely see it this cold. "really cold" is single digits or teens. Our usual winter seems 20s, 30s 40s. I guess we just need to toughen up. Edited by Elizabeth86

When we were in Germany, the kindergartens went outside every day no matter the weather. I’m sure there were a few days with severe storms or ice, but pretty much every day. I think someone told me it isn’t bad weather, just inappropriate clothes😀.

This is a good point. I'm not sure the reason, but our area of the country has a serious obesity problem. People here in general just aren't active anytime of year, so I think everyone takes winter as an excuse to do nothing. I'm really going to work on that this year.

• Like 2

When is too cold too cold? That is definitely subjective, depending on what is extreme for a particular region and how well prepared people are to deal with those weather conditions. In Maryland, our schools would have indoor recess when the temperature dipped below 20F including wind chill factor. In Southern California, we get indoor recess the minute it rains a tiny little bit, even if the temperature is always above 60! Why? Many kids here don't even own Wellington boots or a raincoat!

When we were in Germany, the kindergartens went outside every day no matter the weather. I’m sure there were a few days with severe storms or ice, but pretty much every day. I think someone told me it isn’t bad weather, just inappropriate clothes😀.

This was my Midwest elementary school in the US. We had three recesses every day, and very rarely were they moved indoors to the gym due to the weather.

If you google, you can find articles about preschools in both the US and Germany that meet almost entirely outdoors. Parents just dress their children appropriately.

• Like 7

Indoor dance party. Exercise DVDs- Don't have to be kid specific. Maybe Richard Simmons; Jazzercise, Tae Bo. They don't have to do it correctly, just move. Nature walks- dress them well, keep them moving and distract them by looking for specific things. Race each outside- run, skip, jump. Obstacle course in the living room- jump over cushions, onto pillows, climb over a chair, etc. Put the youngest in a large cardboard box and race them around the house, pushing the little.

• Like 2

I'm also curious (I'm sure this will vary) but what temperature is too low to play outside?

Where we live, the schools have recess as long as temps are above 0* F (with the windchill).  That is pretty darn cold, but the kids go out and play and don't seem to notice.

I tell myself I can go on a walk/jog on any day that the schools have recess.  If the kids can be out for 15 min, then so can I. And once I get going, I'm fine.  

I like long johns, mittens, a good hat that covers my ears, and a neck gator around my face if it is below about 20* f. A scarf does not work as well as a simple tube of fleece to keep your chin and nose warm.

I love the nordic model where even babies spend time outside every day. I think it's good for kids and good for mom's, too.  

https://www.fatherly.com/health-science/why-norwegian-babies-sleep-outside/

Winter is too long where we live to stay inside!!  It already feels like winter, with a bit of snow yesterday...

• Like 3

I like long johns, mittens, a good hat that covers my ears, and a neck gator around my face if it is below about 20* f. A scarf does not work as well as a simple tube of fleece to keep your chin and nose warm.

I'm a runner and find that a neck gaiter is a must to get me out during the winter.  It makes such a difference in the wind and cold.  

• Like 3

I'm a runner and find that a neck gaiter is a must to get me out during the winter.  It makes such a difference in the wind and cold.  

They are quite nice!  They make a huge difference to me too and I can often wear a lighter coat if I make sure the rest of me is well layer, especially with a buff or neck gaiter. 

0 degrees farenheit was about the temp we might choose to stay in.  If there was high wind, maybe a little warmer.  No winds, maybe a little cooler. 

• Like 3

Being a runner and one who hates the treadmill, I have learned that clothes are what makes it possible to be active regardless of the weather. So if you have one who’s more cold, then dress them accordingly. My kids are less sensitive to cold than I am so they wear less, but even with them we’ve purchased layers and other heftier winter gear. Target and WalMart both sell activewear lines that include outerwear accessories. It might not be as nice as the more expensive stuff, but if budget is a concern, then I say it’s better than going without. Plus, when it’s snowy and mittens/gloves get wet (as they always do, even my more expensive stuff) it’s nice to have multiple pairs.

Dress for the weather and get out there. Winter is too long here to spend it cooped up the whole time.

• Like 3

I'm also curious (I'm sure this will vary) but what temperature is too low to play outside?

Around 0 degrees F maybe?  Depends on the location - dry cold or wet cold.  I remember when we lived in NH, it was winter and the sand in our sandbox was frozen solid and all 5 of our kids were out there chipping away at it.  lol  I think it was in the high teens or low 20's and they only had sweatpants, sweatshirts, and coats on. 

I found that if we went out every day, they got used to almost any kind of weather.  Even when the derecho came through our area and our AC was out and it was in the mid to upper 90's every day with high humidity, our kids were out running and wandering around in the woods and such.  I, of course, was in the house, sweating and totally miserable.  lol 

Maybe try to entice or distract the reluctant child just to get that child outside.  Keep them busy until they forget about the weather and begin to have fun doing something.  Then, when y'all go back inside, do something special like have hot chocolate.

• Like 1

We went to the Y a lot at that age.

We don't get nice snow here.  It tends to be sloppy slush or frozen rock solid hard.  It's not unusual for it to get below 0 F.  Nobody here liked stuff like sledding either (although who wants to sled on slush or rock solid ice?).

What's challenging is now.  I go to a gym.  My younger kid isn't old enough for the gym.  The other kid tried the gym and hated it.  I do have an elliptical and both use it.  We had a mini trampoline (it broke, but it got a ton of use). 

The weather so far this year is CRAZY strange.  Right now I've got my window open.  This time of year we could already be getting snow.  So we have been able to get to the park. 

Indoor pool at rec center.  There were also some classes at the rec center that they could do.

We had a mini-tramp that I put in front of the TV.  It could be folded out of the way when desired.

We also did kid yoga and dance videos together.  I liked these best for that age. 

https://smile.amazon.com/Yoga-Kids-Vol-ABCs-Ages/dp/B0001DCXTM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509728952&sr=8-1&keywords=abc+yoga+dvd

https://smile.amazon.com/YogaKids-Vol-3-Silly-Calm/dp/B0001DCXTW/ref=pd_sim_74_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0001DCXTW&pd_rd_r=V3W2954BA0C08H6ZYC80&pd_rd_w=plsTu&pd_rd_wg=WJov4&psc=1&refRID=V3W2954BA0C08H6ZYC80

https://smile.amazon.com/Dancing-Kids-Baby-Ballet-Junior/dp/B00008QSAZ/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1509729184&sr=1-1&keywords=baby+ballet+jazz+tap&dpID=51BAm%252Bcx2PL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

You might also look around for a local yoga option for kids.

Oh another thing - I bought them little snow shovels and paid them for shoveling, LOL.  That is surprisingly good exercise and keeps you warm.

We did the tobogganing and fort building and "king of the mountain" stuff when there was enough snow, but like others have said, often it's just nast, and the prospect of washing soggy muddy snow clothes every day was not a pleasant one.

When they were home in the daytime, taking a walk was often a good option, but that is not really the kind of active play I was looking for.  Yes, I approve of the fresh air aspect, but again, we needed more movement.

I was somewhat off the hook because my kids had exercise classes as part of their preschool 5 days a week.