Menu

Looks like we are going to close.

It hurts to say that. We'll lay off our two employees and liquidate our assets. In this market it won't even begin to pay off the debts (things are worth so little because so many are selling the same equipment off.) Then we'll have to get jobs and spend the next 10-20 years paying all this off.

One minute I feel like I am going to throw up, and the next I fell like it will all be alright. By the time this is done, we will have lost our house, our business, and our vehicles. However, we still have each other!:D

I figure we'll be done here before the end of the year, unless a miracle happens (and my 10yo has great faith that a miracle will happen.)

One minute I feel like I am going to throw up, and the next I fell like it will all be alright. By the time this is done, we will have lost our house, our business, and our vehicles. However, we still have each other!:D

:grouphug: I am sorry to hear about your business. This has got to be such a scary time for your family.

I quoted the above because I like your attitude in spite of what is happening...you DO still have each other and that is a good thing!

It hurts to say that. We'll lay off our two employees and liquidate our assets. In this market it won't even begin to pay off the debts (things are worth so little because so many are selling the same equipment off.) Then we'll have to get jobs and spend the next 10-20 years paying all this off.

I figure we'll be done here before the end of the year, unless a miracle happens (and my 10yo has great faith that a miracle will happen.)

I am sorry to hear about your troubles. It is heartbreaking that we are living in harsh economic times where a willingness to work hard unfortunately does not always translate into making a decent living. Hoping that things will turn around for you soon.

I am sorry to hear about your troubles. It is heartbreaking that we are living in harsh economic times where a willingness to work hard unfortunately does not always translate into making a decent living. Hoping that things will turn around for you soon.

:iagree: My dh is in construction and there is so much I could add, but I shall refrain. :grouphug:

Praying for miracles here too.

:iagree: My dh is in construction and there is so much I could add, but I shall refrain. :grouphug:

:grouphug: to you and everyone else in the same boat.

It could be worse - at least all the things that have gone wrong with the 1996 minivan we were given happened while we still have a mechanic!:lol: He's fixing all kinds of stuff right now.:D

I also need CarMax to give me a fairly decent price for my other van - I wasn't able to sell it locally, so I am taking it there. (They offered me $7000 3 months ago, so hopefully it won't be much less.)

I just received an email this morning from a friend whose dh is in construction. The company he works for has let 20 out of 30 employees go (so far not my friend's dh) and has a week and a half of known work ahead of them. The company is in great debt (buildings, vehicles, etc) so the future is very uncertain for all involved.

I'll pray for all of you in this business as I pray for my friends each day!

Construction Equipment Rental:glare: Very bad business to be in these days.

Where are you in NC? If the construction business is not doing well, that does not mean good things for economy.

And I am so sorry that you will have to go through this. We have been close to losing our home this past year due to people not paying us on time (with the threat of not paying us at all.)

I'll be praying for you.

I'm so sorry to hear the news.

I wish you all the best in the future:grouphug:

Its not just the USA feeling the pinch in the construction industry.

We too have a construction company ( and touchwood)- we are OK at this time, but even in this money-rich country, there have been some major layoffs in the construction industry- and projects put on hold.

Where are you in NC? If the construction business is not doing well, that does not mean good things for economy.

And I am so sorry that you will have to go through this. We have been close to losing our home this past year due to people not paying us on time (with the threat of not paying us at all.)

I'll be praying for you.

We are near Raleigh. We have talked to several other owners/companies and we are all seeing the same things - approximate 30% drop in revenues with hints of an even slimmer winter. Winter is always slow, so we depend on a good season (March to October) to keep us going.

Starting in July, things fell off BADLY. The "big guys" can hold on, but us little guys have a harder time. We weren't bringing in enough to cover overhead (since July) and now it's even worse. We've used up our reserves, so we have nothing left to keep us going through the winter.

Also, our customers are hurting badly. We have several formerly good customers who have not paid us. We're owed roughly $7000 and we NEED that money, but aren't likely to get it anytime soon.

Our landscapers are seeing drastically reduced business.

Our small contractors are seeing drastically reduced business. One was so excited about the 30 house contract he was awarded in April (grading and backfilling.) He has actually only completed 4 because they stopped building due to no movement in those 4 already built!

I am getting ready to tell the employees.

When I get up my nerve.

They know things are bad, but who wants to be looking for a job at Christmas? Especially when so few places are even hiring Christmas help?

I am starting to have that "What are we going to do?!?!?!?" feeling.

Blech.

I am getting ready to tell the employees.

When I get up my nerve.

They know things are bad, but who wants to be looking for a job at Christmas? Especially when so few places are even hiring Christmas help?

I am starting to have that "What are we going to do?!?!?!?" feeling.

Blech.

:grouphug:

I wish you the best. Not that this really helps you now but lots of millionaires have gone belly up before enjoying their current success. Praying for a brighter future.

Well, it's done. Better than I thought it would be, but still not fun. One of our guys won't be able to find another job (he has a medical condition that causes him to shake uncontrollably), so he is going to have to go the disability route. The other guy already has another job, so he'll be okay.

What is *my* dh going to do? What am *I* going to do?:willy_nilly:

I'm so, so sorry! May God bless you with whatever you stand in need of.

I just talked to my brother who is part owner in a commercial air conditioning company in FL and even they have had layoffs. He was in a supervisory position and is now back out in the field in a work truck. :001_huh: I wouldn't expect that in FL.

I'm so, so sorry! May God bless you with whatever you stand in need of.

I just talked to my brother who is part owner in a commercial air conditioning company in FL and even they have had layoffs. He was in a supervisory position and is now back out in the field in a work truck. :001_huh: I wouldn't expect that in FL.

My mother is in FL and things seem to be even worse there (and have been for much longer!) Their school system is laying off teachers because so many people have left looking for jobs other places.

#1 Finally you will have all your "stuff" clean out of the house! You can totally make priorities, organize, and pair down on all that stuff.

#2 A smaller home means less area to clean!

#3 A chance to really focus on family! (No more funds for outside activites/extra curriculiars = more time with family!)

#4 Losing weight via healthier eating? (I'm NOT saying anyone, much less you specificly, need to. Just noting a possible postitive for some.:)) The grocery budget goes strictly for meals and such and rarely leaves room for anything else. No juice, pop, potato chips, whatever.

We are also facing financial losses. We have hopes it won't get to the point of losing our home, but very rough. Dh's job is having major lay offs (like 100s) and it's doubtful he'll be there past the end of the year (which is only 6 weeks away!). He'll be lucky to find a job that pays even half of what he is getting now, which really isn't much to begin with. So it looks like he'll have to work 2 f/t jobs (IF he can find ONE in the ecomony) to pay the bills.

We are just focusing on the best as best we can.

We'll do without just about everything before we risk the house. It's really not an option to loose it. We'd never find someone who would rent anything to a family with 9 kids, even if we could afford the rent, which would be more than our current mortgage. I doubt we could buy smaller/cheaper either b/c we got an awesome deal on this house when we bought it a little over a year ago.

Anyhow. Just saying you are obviously not alone, but it is not all bad. We just have to look harder for the good these days.:grouphug:

#1 Finally you will have all your "stuff" clean out of the house! You can totally make priorities, organize, and pair down on all that stuff.

#2 A smaller home means less area to clean!

#3 A chance to really focus on family! (No more funds for outside activites/extra curriculiars = more time with family!)

#4 Losing weight via healthier eating? (I'm NOT saying anyone, much less you specificly, need to. Just noting a possible postitive for some.:)) The grocery budget goes strictly for meals and such and rarely leaves room for anything else. No juice, pop, potato chips, whatever.

We are also facing financial losses. We have hopes it won't get to the point of losing our home, but very rough. Dh's job is having major lay offs (like 100s) and it's doubtful he'll be there past the end of the year (which is only 6 weeks away!). He'll be lucky to find a job that pays even half of what he is getting now, which really isn't much to begin with. So it looks like he'll have to work 2 f/t jobs (IF he can find ONE in the ecomony) to pay the bills.

We are just focusing on the best as best we can.

We'll do without just about everything before we risk the house. It's really not an option to loose it. We'd never find someone who would rent anything to a family with 9 kids, even if we could afford the rent, which would be more than our current mortgage. I doubt we could buy smaller/cheaper either b/c we got an awesome deal on this house when we bought it a little over a year ago.

Anyhow. Just saying you are obviously not alone, but it is not all bad. We just have to look harder for the good these days.:grouphug:

Well, none of those things apply. We never had any of that to start with. We've never been middle class.;) Actually, our income has never been over $30K per year!:D

Our trailer is bigger than our old house, but older, moldier, and in a not-so-great trailer park. When we bought it, it wasn't livable - it had caught fire at one point. It is better, but until we are able to seal it up and add some insulation, the cold air still blows in at night. We bought it because we couldn't afford to rent either (or find someone to rent to a family of soon-to-be 9 either.)

Last summer, we chose to keep the business over the house. The biggest problem was the price of gas - we were commuting 40 miles each way (both of us.) We haven't been able to sell it because of where it is - not even a short sale. Markets are slow anyway, but since that area lost more than a 1000 jobs this year (and the environmentalists managed to block a mine that would have provided decent jobs), no one is looking there.

We are selling our 12 passenger van to pay for the trailer. That means that we won't have a vehicle big enough for all of us. Thankfully, my FIL gave us their old minivan, so we have something. I don't know what we will do when the baby comes as the youngest 5 will still be in car seats/boosters, and there aren't enough seats for that!

My dc have never had extracurriculars other than Cub Scouts. And even in Cub Scouts, we have had to skip many of their activities because we couldn't afford it.

For me, it makes it doubly hard for me to see the "silver lining". Especially when it looks like (due to the massive losses we have faced) we will be living this way for the next 10 years or so.

We will both have to work FT once the baby comes - I guess I won't ever see my dh (we will work opposite shifts) but it will be something!

Oh hon, that just stinks.

We're in the same boat, never been "middle class" level income either with most of the things I listed. This house we are in now is the closest thing to a luxery we've ever had in 16 years of marriage and we never imagined the Lord would make it possible for us to live here.

Unless it was a dirt cheap activity, my kids didn't join it. And this year, we are not enrolled in anything at all. Even if we could afford the activity, we can't afford the gas.

The positives I listed are just how I try to look at our life.

I was just hoping to be positive for you, not add to the downer.

Sorry if it didn't work out that way.:grouphug:

Oh hon, that just stinks.

We're in the same boat, never been "middle class" level income either with most of the things I listed. This house we are in now is the closest thing to a luxery we've ever had in 16 years of marriage and we never imagined the Lord would make it possible for us to live here.

Unless it was a dirt cheap activity, my kids didn't join it. And this year, we are not enrolled in anything at all. Even if we could afford the activity, we can't afford the gas.

The positives I listed are just how I try to look at our life.

I was just hoping to be positive for you, not add to the downer.

Sorry if it didn't work out that way.:grouphug:

It does just stink, doesn't it!;) I can't think of a better way to phrase it.

When I look at the bright side, I figure:

We're not going to starve.

We do have a decent shelter.

We do have a vehicle so that one or both of us can work.

We were able to move closer to jobs so that dh (and I) will have a better chance getting one.

We're all healthy!

That's the best I can do for now.:tongue_smilie: