Menu

Possible concussion: ER or urgent care?

Innisfree

ER

Repeating the same question and vision changes could be indicative of a brain bleed. You don't want to waste time, and the urgent care might not have the ability to do the needed tests.

:iagree:

Her symptoms worry me, too, and I would take her in immediately. Head injuries are scary. :(

• Like 3

ER, unless you have a dedicated orthopedic urgent care facility (we do, and they do x-rays, not sure about more), but even still, I think that warrants ER. I'd also make sure it's an ER that keeps peds overnight so you avoid the transfer hassle and a transport charge if they want to keep her overnight. (Our little community hospital is great for adults and quick ER things for kids but transfers peds to a larger hospital 45 minutes away if they need to stay for observation.)

Praying!

• Like 2

We were just at the ER Wednesday as my son took a line drive hit to the head at his baseball game.  He blacked out and had no idea what happened, had to be helped to the car, etc.  The ER did a CT scan to see if there was a fracture or brain bleed, diagnosed him with a concussion and told us to follow up with the pediatrician the next day. 

Hugs to you.  It is very scary.

What I didn't know - maybe you do - is that there are not only athletic protocols but also academic protocols following a concussion.  My son is not allowed to read, use his laptop, or use any electronics until he has been headache free for 48 hours.  His school will work with us and extend the usual absentee work deadlines.

Edited by Pink and Green Mom
  • Like 5

We were just at the ER Wednesday as my son took a line drive hit to the head at his baseball game. He blacked out and had no idea what happened, had to be helped to the car, etc. The ER did a CT scan to see if there was a fracture or brain bleed, diagnosed him with a concussion and told us to follow up with the pediatrician the next day.

Hugs to you. It is very scary.

What I didn't know - maybe you do - is that there are not only athletic protocols but also academic protocols following a concussion. My son is not allowed to read, use his laptop, or use any electronics until he has been headache free for 48 hours. His school will work with us and extend the usual absentee work deadlines.

I recently had a concussion and was surprised to find how much thinking hurt. It was a very strange feeling.

• Like 5

We were just at the ER Wednesday as my son took a line drive hit to the head at his baseball game. He blacked out and had no idea what happened, had to be helped to the car, etc. The ER did a CT scan to see if there was a fracture or brain bleed, diagnosed him with a concussion and told us to follow up with the pediatrician the next day.

What I didn't know - maybe you do - is that there are not only athletic protocols but also academic protocols following a concussion. My son is not allowed to read, use his laptop, or use any electronics until he has been headache free for 48 hours. His school will work with us and extend the usual absentee work deadlines.

I'm so sorry to hear about your son!!! :(

• Like 4

I would go where she would receive help quickly. Here, that's one of our urgent care centers -- but ours can take care of minor broken bones, etc. If they feel you need the ER, they call an ambulance, make some calls, and move that ER process along more quickly.

We have great hospitals, but ER wait times can be hours... even for pretty major things, imo. 

• Like 2

When my son got a concussion during a lacrosse game a few years ago, I debated on where to take him and I decided on Urgent Care because it was closer.   They called an ambulance and took him to the ER.  

They said they never treat concussions and I should have driven directly to the ER.  

I hope your dd recovers.  Take it slowly.  It can take a long time.

• Like 2

I would go where she would receive help quickly. Here, that's one of our urgent care centers -- but ours can take care of minor broken bones, etc. If they feel you need the ER, they call an ambulance, make some calls, and move that ER process along more quickly.

We have great hospitals, but ER wait times can be hours... even for pretty major things, imo.

I'm not sure why you would waste valuable time at an urgent care when someone has a head injury. If your ER wait times are long, you can circumvent that by calling 911 and having the person brought to the hospital in an ambulance.

• Like 2

Glad you went to the ER.  They can quickly rule out brain bleed.  I will say that in general ER doctors may not be up on the most recent concussion protocols, so be sure to follow up with your pediatrician ASAP.   My DS and I both had concussions and went to ER for scans, but we received the older directions to wake during the night, etc.  We both saw our regular Drs the next day and were given the more current instructions - sleep and brain rest and hydrate.  

Praying you get clear scans and your daughter heals up quickly!

• Like 2

I took my son to the pediatrician, and they sent us to the ER as he was confused and kept vomiting. 

They will likely want to image. I hope she's ok. If they don't talk to you about brain rest, read up on it as soon as you can. Our pediatrician knew more about handling the post care for a concussion than the ER doctor. 

• Like 2

Sorry it took so long for me to get back.

We spent several hours at the ER, but are home at last. Dd is doing much better. She had a ct scan, which showed no problems. Her head still aches, but not very badly. She probably does have a (hopefully mild) concussion. She's thoroughly bored with brain rest already, and frustrated because she has a ton of work to be doing. My biggest problem may be enforcing rest for the next 24 hours. ;-)

I really appreciate all the support and good wishes.

• Like 8

Thanks for this. Hope your ds is doing well!

I'm not sure why you would waste valuable time at an urgent care when someone has a head injury. If your ER wait times are long, you can circumvent that by calling 911 and having the person brought to the hospital in an ambulance.

No true here.  Ambulance patients and walk-ins are triaged into the same queue.  The sickest patients get seen first.  The mode of arrival to the ED is irrelevant.

OP, glad your daughter is OK

Sorry it took so long for me to get back.

We spent several hours at the ER, but are home at last. Dd is doing much better. She had a ct scan, which showed no problems. Her head still aches, but not very badly. She probably does have a (hopefully mild) concussion. She's thoroughly bored with brain rest already, and frustrated because she has a ton of work to be doing. My biggest problem may be enforcing rest for the next 24 hours. ;-)

I really appreciate all the support and good wishes.

Glad she was seen and is doing well!