Menu

Tween girl Christmas gift ideas?

frugalmamatx

I know it's early but I need to plan for sales :) And thrift shopping. 

I'm at a complete loss for what to get for my daughter for Christmas this year. She's 11. Too old for most toys {according to her}. Books are a given but she has so many. Doesn't like makeup for fashion yet, so most of the teen ideas are out. And I don't want to do memberships because it's very likely we'll be moving within the year. She wants a laptop and I'm open to possibly handing down mine if I can get a sale on a new one for myself. 

Any other ideas? 

ETA: My budget is pretty small too. I'd like to keep her gifts to under $50, but I'm open to more expensive items as I am great at finding bargains. 

Edited by frugalmamatx

What activities is she in? Does she have serviceable equipment, but would like an upgrade? Like my dd has hand me down cleats and soccer ball, but would like her own in a specific color.

None really. She's an anti-social bookworm aspie. Pet lover, but I don't want to get a new pet with a possible move as we likely would have to rehome it. 

Okay, so what about private lessons in something? My dd would also like 6 months of paid for piano lessons, for example.

Other options could be crocheting or knitting, or pottery or photography.

With the upcoming possible move, I don't want to commit to anything as I really don't know when we'll be going. It might be next week. It might be in a year. 

Do you have a zoo or some type of animal center nearby? Some of those have "zookeeper for a day" type programs you can do, even for the youngers. Maybe see if there's anything in your area?

What about a magazine subscription?

Does she like to have her nails painted? A nail polish set might be fun.

The zoo things are all booked up for the year already and way out of my budget. Maybe a magazine but again with the possible move I'm iffy {we'd be moving countries}. She hates anything beauty related so nails / hair / makeup is out 

Has she tried digital drawing yet? DD16 got one of these a few years ago and she has spent HOURS learning to draw her favorite characters and animate stuff. It’s amazing what she can do and it’s very easy to use.

https://www.amazon.com/Wacom-CTL490DW-Digital-Drawing-Graphics/dp/B010LHRFM2/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1505664961&sr=1-4&keywords=Bamboo+tablet

• Like 1

At about that age, my daughter received a bead loom; we gave it to her with a selection of beads and a gift certificate to a beading store.  She still beads now, post-college age.

Here's one such loomBeadsmith Bead Loom Kit for Beginners

How about a set of quality art pencils?  My daughter's favorites (received in 6th grade and still used) are: 

LYRA Waldorf Selection Unlacquered Triangular Giant Colored Pencils, Set of 12 Super Ferby

Might she like a juggling set?

Gift certificate to the movie theater.

Regards,

Kareni

Jean jackets are in style this year. That surprised me, but I got one. :)

A super comfy cozy soft blanket. Both of my girls got blankets when they were early teens and still use them today. Dd19 took hers to college.

A cookbook for whatever food she enjoys. I gave my oldest dd a cupcake cookbook that had decorating ideas. She had so much fun making super cute cupcakes.

An adult coloring book with a set of nice colored pencils like Prisma.

• Like 2

My daughter liked (and still likes - newly 13) fun graphic tees, animal footie jammies, fleece blankets, crazy pillows, fun socks, stuff from Claire's boutique, crafty stuff, art supplies, some board games. 

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 2

Prismacolor colored pencils or watercolor pencils or markers.

Coloring book like Enchanted Forest.

One dd was very into facepainting at that age--the Klutz book is a good place to start.

Craft kits from Michaels

Rainbow Loom was the big craze when youngest was this age. She loved it.

Slime-making kit (find recipes on internet--supplies are things like glue, borax, Crayola modeling magic for butter slime (dd's favorite recipe), food coloring.)

Fake Ugg boots, like Bear Claw. Usually a good Black Friday item

Jigsaw puzzle? We like the Dowdle ones--500 piece in nice box, often at Costco in the fall the last couple of years.

• Like 1

Since you are moving soon, what about a baking or cooking kit? I wouldn't get more than just a special spoon or apron that she would want to move with you, but you could package a bunch of homemade mixes for her to bake. That way, she's excited to help cook in what will be a busy time, and her gift will be consumable so you don't have to worry about moving it.

Yeah, maybe something crafty or artsy. I still enjoy coloring and painting. I like to find the little ceramics you paint. If you have a Dollar Tree or Dollar General I've seen holiday themed ones. Last year I found a penguin wearing a hat and scarf. This year I've found a Frankenstein's monster and another Halloween one. They were in $1 kits! I keep my own paint at home, though. More colors to choose from.

I skimmed the posts. I think someone mentioned cooking or baking. Maybe something like a cake decorating set? Cookie cutters?

It was for a younger girl, but I gave something like this once. It can be used for making cakes or pancakes. I found it at Hobby Lobby.

https://www.amazon.com/Bakelicious-73851-Cupcaker-Batter-Mixer/dp/B00IWHTQY4/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1505693306&sr=8-11&keywords=cupcake+mixer+for+kids

• 2 weeks later...

My DD is 11 and she is wanting a cute backpack.  She has one but it's a bit on the small side.  She'd also like a replacement for her rolling luggage duffel bag as she's used that one so often it has developed holes.  Her current backpack and the rolling duffel were both Christmas gifts about 4 or 5 years ago and she keeps telling me that they were one of the best things she's ever received. 

Aside from that, she's all about art supplies - paint pens, a book on painting rocks, good sketchbooks, good paints for aforementioned rocks. 

My almost 11 year old likes all kinds of arts and crafts kits and supplies. She really wants a "Wreck this Journal" and she'd probably like other journals too.. She also likes getting new pajamas or clothes, especially if it's something trendy or from a store like Justice for Girls.

Special coloring book (my daughter loved her Harry Potter themed one) with good colored pencils or gel pens.

An Echo dot and subscription to audible (last year they had a special three month free trial).

One of those bed pillows for sitting up in bed with a bed desk (hard surface, soft underside) and blanket.

A bean bag chair, blanket, and one of those electronic bookmarks that you can keep time and has a light.

A kindle with some books preloaded.

A journal. There are tons of options from your basic diary, to mom and me, to prompt journals, to art.

A gift card to her favorite store. My girl's is Hot Topic.