Menu

I feel guilty but probably shouldn't

Beaniemom

I have a respite caregiver for my son. She is coming this week while I take my oldest to an IEW workshop. (She's so excited to meet Andrew Pudewa). Now dh says he may take that day off to work on a paper and some other assignments due in his online class. I really want him to not take off that day. If he takes off, I have to cancel respite because he won't want her here. Ds and DD7 will be disappointed because they have been looking forward to having their "babysitter" and instead of getting tasks (school work, eating dinner, getting dance gear ready for when I get home) done they will get sent downstairs to be quiet which means videos or minecraft. I feel guilty for not wanting him to take off but it just complicates an already abnormally busy day.

DH will not go to another location (like a nice, quiet library) because he doesn't trust public wifi so he insists on doing all his class work at home and other days this week don't work because of obligations at work. It's just frustrating.

So, he has the opportunity to do his work in peace AND the younger children get to stay in their routine (which sounds like it will keep the household ticking along) AND you and your oldest get to go on a much-anticipated outing? I think I would tell DH the plan and he could either work at home with the respite worker or make other plans around the ones you've already made. I don't know how difficult it is to get a respite caregiver, but I can't imagine cancelling one!

• Like 12

I don't understand why he wouldn't want a babysitter around. The kids at home would be guaranteed to be out of his hair.

I'd fight over this, personally. It doesn't make logical sense. But, to each his own.

I understand why he doesn't want the caregiver here. He is a very introverted person and has only met her once so although I know her well, she is a stranger to him and it would be awkward for him. Still frustrating though.

I understand why he doesn't want the caregiver here. He is a very introverted person and has only met her once so although I know her well, she is a stranger to him and it would be awkward for him. Still frustrating though.

Maybe you understand, but I don't. :)

He's an adult. So what if he's introverted? He doesn't have to spend the day entertaining the respite worker; he can open the door, say hi to her, get her settled in with the kids, and excuse himself to go get his work done in another room. Done. End of story. What's awkward about that? :confused:

• Like 15

I have a respite caregiver for my son. She is coming this week while I take my oldest to an IEW workshop. (She's so excited to meet Andrew Pudewa). Now dh says he may take that day off to work on a paper and some other assignments due in his online class. I really want him to not take off that day. If he takes off, I have to cancel respite because he won't want her here. Ds and DD7 will be disappointed because they have been looking forward to having their "babysitter" and instead of getting tasks (school work, eating dinner, getting dance gear ready for when I get home) done they will get sent downstairs to be quiet which means videos or minecraft. I feel guilty for not wanting him to take off but it just complicates an already abnormally busy day.

DH will not go to another location (like a nice, quiet library) because he doesn't trust public wifi so he insists on doing all his class work at home and other days this week don't work because of obligations at work. It's just frustrating.

How about if the respite worker and the kids spend most of their time downstairs?  Personally, I wouldn't cancel the respite worker just because dh would be uncomfortable.   I'm a firm believer that my husband is the head of our family, but this would be a time that I stood firm.  He seems to be placing his personal comfort level over the needs of the rest of the family.  That's not cool.   

• Like 5

I am a person who's son qualifies for respite and we even have an agency that provides workers. I HATE having people in my home when I'm home. I can't rest. I can't be myself. I always feel like I have to be doing something intensely to feel like the respite is warranted. I've canceled the only two respite appointments I've made and switched agencies to one I feel more comfortable with. I totally get why your husband would want to cancel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a person who's son qualifies for respite and we even have an agency that provides workers. I HATE having people in my home when I'm home. I can't rest. I can't be myself. I always feel like I have to be doing something intensely to feel like the respite is warranted. I've canceled the only two respite appointments I've made and switched agencies to one I feel more comfortable with. I totally get why your husband would want to cancel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem is that he would be inconveniencing Beaniemom by canceling the scheduled respite worker just because he feels like taking the day off from work and working on a paper at home that day. It's not necessary for him to take that particular day off, and it's not necessary for him to make Beaniemom's life more difficult by canceling a respite worker who will require little, if any, interaction with him.

That's not fair to Beaniemom. He can either take a different day off from work, or he can suck it up and deal with having the respite worker in the house with him and the kids. It's only one day.

• Like 14

How does he think he'll get all this work done while caring for two kids? He can suck it up and hide in a room and feel good knowing the kids aren't neglected that day.

THat's what would tip it for me--he wouldn't be caring for the kids if he was home without the babysitter, he'd be sticking them in front of the telly or otherwise ignoring them. 

I do get it about the feeling like it wouldn't be a true day off because he's uncomfy, but, hey, I'd see it as a stretching opportunity. We all need them... ;-)

• Like 3

He needs to put on his big boy pants and not mess up your and the kid's already planned day.  Plus the respite worker may be counting on making $ - cancelling could harm your ability to get her to come again.  He can work in a room separate from the respite worker and kids, do his paper off-line and upload it later if no wifi in the room.  He needs to accommodate  you guys, not the other way around.    I take it respite worker will still keep the kids doing some tasks/school - well,if she is not there then HUBBY has to do those things, and would not have time for his work anyway, Tell him you are NOT cancelling the kid's school etc. so HE can be at home with no respite worker.  She is coming. End of story.  The kids will be upstairs doing their work etc, with respite worker. He can met her, get to know her a tad, then work elsewhere in the house.  Or pick a different day to be home.

• Like 2

Can the respite worker transport them and take them out for the day?  A zoo or science museum?  Any parks with walking trails, picnic area, place to ride bikes/scooters? 

If not, is there anywhere withing walking/stolling distance from your house? 

Edited by Tap

Can the respite worker transport them and take them out for the day? A zoo or science museum? Any parks with walking trails, picnic area, place to ride bikes/scooters?

If not, is there anywhere withing walking/stolling distance from your house?

I'm not sure the respite worker should be inconvenienced just because Beaniemom's dh decided he wants to take that particular day off from work and doesn't want to be bothered with having the respite worker in the house.

I don't know why he can't just take a different day off from work if this is such a big deal to him.