Menu

Anyone else going through the college admissions process for first time?!

Oh, my goodness. I'm beginning to look wistfully over at those who've used an umbrella charter or outside organization to deal with all this admissions paperwork... Common App, transcript, counselor letter, course descriptions (not as hard as I thought, but still time consuming), GPA calculations, etc.

Anyone else going through all this for the first time this year?  Like, right NOW, this year?

For those who've BTDT, is there any good great resource for working through all this stuff as a home schooler?  Even the most trivial things are making me wonder.

(Common App: was the course accelerated, honors, ...?

Were you enrolled with any other secondary school? -ok, figured out we should probably list the public charter since we got a transcript from them.

Counselor name?  I guess that's me from what I've read here. Counselor title? I guess it's "counselor" LOL

Honors? - I think that NMSQT letter meant that they will definitely be at least commended. (I know from the second letter that one is a semi-finalist.)

It's endless!  And I've only just started.  Is it just me? Or does anyone else feel lost and not really competent to do this?

• Like 3

The best resource are the threads on this board. There are plenty. 

And you can always ask new questions if yours have not been answered.

That's how I did it, twice..

This.  I have also done it twice now.  Another good resource is the yahoo group hs2coll. 

I love everything about homeschooling except this.  I get way too stressed out worrying that I am going to somehow screw things up.   I am already beginning to dread having to gear up to go through it again next year.

Good luck to all of you going through the process this year.  Keep a stash of dark chocolate and wine on hand.

• Like 7

I am going through this process with my oldest. I did his transcript awhile ago and that, along with his ACT scores, are pretty much all that is needed for one non-selective private university that he is very interested in and that I suspect he will wind up going to. He does have two other in-state public universities that he is interested in and I will have to do the whole course description, common app, counselor letter, etc for. Frankly, I'm not doing any of it until he writes the application essay for the common app. Isn't that terrible? He's been "working" on his common app essay all summer and there has been little progress. He is in Bravewriter's college essay class right now, so we'll see. If he does finish the essay, then I'm sure I'll be tearing my hair out trying to get it all done by the deadline. And then he'll probably decide in the end to go to the private university that doesn't require any of those documents. Fun times! Lol!

Edited by OnMyOwn
  • Like 3

This. I have also done it twice now. Another good resource is the yahoo group hs2coll.

I love everything about homeschooling except this. I get way too stressed out worrying that I am going to somehow screw things up. I am already beginning to dread having to gear up to go through it again next year.

Good luck to all of you going through the process this year. Keep a stash of dark chocolate and wine on hand.

I think I will be totally stressed about it when I go through the process with my dd since she will likely be interested in more selective schools. With my ds, it doesn't really seem like there is too much I can mess up, since I am 99% sure he will easily be admitted to the private school he's applied to and his stats are very good for the public ones, which are also not super selective. That takes off a lot of the pressure.

• Like 2

I think I will be totally stressed about it when I go through the process with my dd since she will likely be interested in more selective schools.

Start a transcript and the course descriptions for her now!! 

Going through this with my oldest has been compelling motivation for me to start my dd's transcript & course descriptions now. I saved descriptions from online providers, but polishing the handful that were pretty sparse and not much more than a book list and then compiling them all has taken much more time than I'd anticipated.

Another reason I wish I'd walked through the Common App earlier with my oldest is that they could have seen the types of things they'd be asked about (activities, awards, reading list for some colleges,,...)   _I_ knew and I'd _told_ them, but when they saw it on real admissions applications or on the Common App, they realized that they should have taken some things more seriously, like actually writing down the titles of all the books they were reading, or keeping track of the hours they spent on some volunteer projects, etc.  I have a basic list, but _they_ really needed to put more effort into this whole college app thing than they have been.

• Like 3

I am in the process of writing a very down to earth book discussing what the process has looked like with my different kids (very different kids with different approaches/types of schools). It is not geared toward families seeking elites (there are plenty of books out there for that audience.) I have been working as a consultant and giving talks on the college app process, and people keep asking me for copies of things, especially families seeking merit aid.  I didn't like just handing things out b/c I didn't want people plagiarizing either my daughter or me. My dd who graduated last yr has given me (limited) permission to include portions of my counselor letter, a couple of her essays, etc.  I will also be including sample transcripts, course descriptions, and school profiles.  The goal is to demonstrate how to consider the complete picture when applying.

My goal was to finish over the summer, but then our entire family moved in different directions.  Between our move and my adult children's move (and watching grandkids), the project had to be put on the back burner.  My goal is hopefully have it done by the end of the year, not very helpful for this yr's applicants, though.

I have always done everything on my own, but some families do feel more comfortable asking for help and seeking out consultants.  I personally don't think it is necessary if you can spend the time researching the process on your own and understand the bigger application process.  It really isn't at all difficult. For some schools, it is down right simple.

• Like 15

I am in the process of writing a very down to earth book discussing what the process has looked like with my different kids (very different kids with different approaches/types of schools). ... I have been working as a consultant and giving talks on the college app process,

Please keep us updated when you have completed the project. I am sure many would find this helpful

I am currently working with a homeschooler who only now, at age 18, has decided that he wants to go to college, and it is very hard to figure out what do to when the student has not been prepared for college by his home school :(

• Like 4

I am currently working with a homeschooler who only now, at age 18, has decided that he wants to go to college, and it is very hard to figure out what do to when the student has not been prepared for college by his home school :(

That is truly a kind and generous thing you are doing for that young man, Regentrude. 

• Like 1

That is truly a kind and generous thing you are doing for that young man, Regentrude. 

Thanks - he is a very nice person, from a lovely family which has overcome many obstacles. I greatly respect them; alas, they don't know anything about college. It was very sad to have to tell him that his coursework in no way prepares him for an elite university; it does not even satisfy the admissions requirements for the state uni (even though American School calls it "College Prep" - don't get me started on this)

We will have to find a way to fill the gaps and have an appointment with an admissions counselor.

I think helping young people to get the education they desire is the best thing one can do to improve their lives. 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 6

This is a great place to come for help. For me, the best thing was walking away from it and taking a breath and doing something else and then coming back to it. I tend to get so immersed in these things that after a while it is hard to know if I was thinking straight or overthinking everything (more likely overthinking everything). Forcing myself to get up, get away from it for a while was the best way to clear my head and come back to it with fresh eyes.

That's why you should start as early as you can.

Another thing to remember was that so many of the questions take it for granted that the applicant is a traditional, B&M school student. Reminding myself that I had a very different applicant was helpful too.

Good luck!

• Like 4

It's endless!  And I've only just started.  Is it just me? Or does anyone else feel lost and not really competent to do this?

I felt the same way, btw. Now I know that for my kid, I was the most competent person possible to do it (no matter how I felt at the time). Even if you might not know what to do at times, no one else will care as much as you do.

• Like 4

Start a transcript and the course descriptions for her now!!

Going through this with my oldest has been compelling motivation for me to start my dd's transcript & course descriptions now. I saved descriptions from online providers, but polishing the handful that were pretty sparse and not much more than a book list and then compiling them all has taken much more time than I'd anticipated.

Another reason I wish I'd walked through the Common App earlier with my oldest is that they could have seen the types of things they'd be asked about (activities, awards, reading list for some colleges,,...) _I_ knew and I'd _told_ them, but when they saw it on real admissions applications or on the Common App, they realized that they should have taken some things more seriously, like actually writing down the titles of all the books they were reading, or keeping track of the hours they spent on some volunteer projects, etc. I have a basic list, but _they_ really needed to put more effort into this whole college app thing than they have been.

I know I really should. Maybe if I start doing my son's, that will get me moving on hers. I do have a spreadsheet with all the classes she's taken, as well as another document where I have copied and pasted all outside course descriptions, but it would make sense to take it to the next step each year so it's not such a big job at the end. I had my dd start keeping a spreadsheet with all her volunteer hours on it this year as I became more aware that she should be doing so. I didn't think to have her keep track of all the books she reads, though. I'll have to get her on that.

• Like 1

Quite honestly, you'd still be doing the bulk of this work, even if your student were in a public high school. There is often only one counselor who can only provide the most general of help to help several hundred seniors who are simultaneously navigating college admissions and financial aid/FAFSA -- not to mention trying to provide info the various tests and career exploration info to all grades at the high school. :)

And in the end, your student will have a MUCH better college admission experience and chance at scholarships having you as the personalized coach and counselor. :)

Barbara H of these boards hosts the (free) Homeschool Success website, and also offers (for a fee) consulting services to help homeschoolers move from high school to college.

Aiming Higher is a homeschool consulting team for helping with college admissions.

Lee Binz, the Home Scholar, has several books out that might be helpful: Setting the Records Straight (on transcripts and recordkeeping, and The Home Scholar Guide to College Admission and Scholarships

Keep persevering -- a "bite" of research or paperwork each week, and eventually you'll have eaten this whole elephant of college admissions! ;) Good luck! Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 8

...they don't know anything about college. It was very sad to have to tell him that his coursework in no way prepares him for an elite university; it does not even satisfy the admissions requirements for the state uni...

We will have to find a way to fill the gaps and have an appointment with an admissions counselor...

Regentrude: So very kind and generous of you to help out this family!  :hurray:

Depending on the school, Community College can be an absolutely wonderful first stepping stone for students in this position, rather than trying to start at a 4-year university, esp. if the student barely has the needed admission required credits. Benefits:

- allows the student to start college more slowly/gently -- which can lead to much better success, esp. for students without a strong college prep foundation

- CC is usually not nearly as expensive as a 4-year university

- many CCs have transfer agreements with the local state universities, so credits transfer easily

- many state universities have CC transfer student scholarships to encourage students going this route

- student can knock out general ed. credits while thinking through what they really WANT to do career-wise

- student may even find that their real passion is a vocational-tech occupation that is best learned through earning an AAS degree  there at the CC (AAS is the Associate's degree that is mostly hands-on/core concentration coursework -- the "degree-to-work" degree -- in contrast to the AA degree, which is the "degree-to-transfer" degree, which is mostly the gen. ed. requirements towards a future 4-year degree)

BEST of luck as you help this student and his family sort through all the options! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

I'm linking yvonne's post from another thread for other people who read this one but maybe didn't see that one. It a "what I wish I would have done" and "what I'm going to do for my younger" standpoint on record-keeping. I've read several threads by Hivers attempting to pull everything together during the summer before senior year.

I wrote two years worth of course descriptions this summer, and it was draining, mind-numbing, and just horrible. I'll be writing two kid's worth next summer (dd#1 & dd#2) and I'm not looking forward to doing both. I'll have to separate them - perhaps one at the beginning of the summer & one in the middle of the summer. Somehow, between the two, only one class will overlap.  :willy_nilly:

I'm  :lurk5: because next year is my turn to quake in my boots, ask lots of questions, and freak out about college applications.

• Like 5

Regentrude: So very kind and generous of you to help out this family!  

Depending on the school, Community College can be an absolutely wonderful first stepping stone for students in this position, rather than trying to start at a 4-year university, esp. if the student barely has the needed admission required credits. Benefits:

- allows the student to start college more slowly/gently -- which can lead to much better success, esp. for students without a strong college prep foundation

- CC is usually not nearly as expensive as a 4-year university

- many CCs have transfer agreements with the local state universities, so credits transfer easily

- many state universities have CC transfer student scholarships to encourage students going this route

- student can knock out general ed. credits while thinking through what they really WANT to do career-wise

- student may even find that their real passion is a vocational-tech occupation that is best learned through earning an AAS degree  there at the CC (AAS is the Associate's degree that is mostly hands-on/core concentration coursework -- the "degree-to-work" degree -- in contrast to the AA degree, which is the "degree-to-transfer" degree, which is mostly the gen. ed. requirements towards a future 4-year degree)

Thanks. We are going to discuss the best course of action with the admissions counselor of the four year university later this week. I am, for example, not sure whether it might not be better to delay graduation from high school until he fulfills admission requirements and have him take some CC classes as DE while still in HS vs going the transfer route. The student is interested in medical school. Previous plans were for Vo-teach, but volunteering at a hospital has kindled an interest in med school. I will also make an appointment with the advisor for the premed program to see what factors she thinks we need to consider.

It is hard because the student was very discouraged to hear that his "College prep" curriculum does not fulfill the minimum admissions requirements. I am angry that the program does not make it clear that their standard College prep curriculum does not mean that students are prepared for admission to even a state university (never mind selective schools). I assume it is primarily used by parents without a strong educational background, and the marketing borders on dishonest.

But this is off topic - sorry OP!

It was very sad to have to tell him that his coursework in no way prepares him for an elite university; it does not even satisfy the admissions requirements for the state uni (even though American School calls it "College Prep" - don't get me started on this)

This is abhorrent! I don't think I'd heard of AS before, so I googled their "college prep" course. Assuming that the coursework they do offer is decent (which I wouldn't know)--why don't they go all the way and actually make it college prep?! It's not *that many* more courses, but it's certainly misleading to let parents and kids think this is sufficient. As you said, not even appropriate for state university entrance requirements (frankly our local high school requires more for a general diploma). Wow. Just wow. Glad you are on this student's side. 

Not yet, but I'm taking the advice hinted at here to maybe read the common ap at some point before he applies.

I can already tell that ap is not going to mesh well with our school. All his classes will be "college classes" so I guess the honor issue is moot, but am I allowed to put "absolutely nothing" under honors, extracurriculars, sundry amazingness columns? Because that'll be the size of it, probably. 😂

Stay strong, everyone. You did what you did for a reason!

• Like 3

Not yet, but I'm taking the advice hinted at here to maybe read the common ap at some point before he applies.

I can already tell that ap is not going to mesh well with our school. All his classes will be "college classes" so I guess the honor issue is moot, but am I allowed to put "absolutely nothing" under honors, extracurriculars, sundry amazingness columns? Because that'll be the size of it, probably. 😂

Stay strong, everyone. You did what you did for a reason!

There is absolutely no predicting what the college application process will look like 4-5 yrs from now.  It is very different today than it was when my oldest applied in 2006.  10 yrs made a huge difference in the process.  

In terms of ECs, honors, etc, today it would definitely limit options.  Who knows about the future. These suggest a shift toward "caring." 

https://youtu.be/eLJCHWn2yAs

https://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/making-caring-common-in-college-admissions/3197142.html

There is absolutely no predicting what the college application process will look like 4-5 yrs from now. It is very different today than it was when my oldest applied in 2006. 10 yrs made a huge difference in the process.

In terms of ECs, honors, etc, today it would definitely limit options. Who knows about the future. These suggest a shift toward "caring."

https://youtu.be/eLJCHWn2yAs

https://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/making-caring-common-in-college-admissions/3197142.html

Eh, he cares, it's our family culture and he could probably fill pages already but that stuff has no business on a college application. It's just what we do.

Don't mean to derail the OP.

• Like 2

This is abhorrent! I don't think I'd heard of AS before, so I googled their "college prep" course. Assuming that the coursework they do offer is decent (which I wouldn't know)--why don't they go all the way and actually make it college prep?! It's not *that many* more courses

But the correspondence format makes it impossible to study certain subjects. Kids cannot learn a foreign language by filling out worksheets and mailing them back. (I am not sure how well kids actually learn math by filling out worksheets and mailing them back, but that is another issue.)

Ditto for lab science. It cannot be done in a correspondence format.

• Like 2

My oldest starts highschool next year so I'm delving deeper into my research. I'm so excited to see that 8 is looking at writing a book, I'm sure that will be a great resource. I know this board itself will be an invaluable resource, as it has since the beginning of our hs journey and it is nice to have others to go through it together.

• Like 2

Yes but in Canada (Ontario) so I'm feeling extra, extra lost!  I've searched the archives here but there don't seem to be any posts on Ontario residents applying to university.  Maybe, once we're done the process, I'll write up a big post for the Hive and post it for future Ontario-ans. :)

• Like 4

Yes but in Canada (Ontario) so I'm feeling extra, extra lost!  I've searched the archives here but there don't seem to be any posts on Ontario residents applying to university.  Maybe, once we're done the process, I'll write up a big post for the Hive and post it for future Ontario-ans. :)

Colleen in NS and Sweet Peach are both in Nova Scotia, and Hornblower is in (West??) Canada -- all have students in college. Here's a 2015 post by Colleen about college acceptance in Canada: "Yay for homeschooling! Yay for WTM!"

Blue Goat is also in Canada, but don't know about location or age of students.

Here's a 2015 thread to help link you up with Canadians: "Canadian homeschoolers: share your experiences and advice". Also, try posting a thread on the high school board asking for Ontario homeschoolers who have BTDT! :)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

These boards have been invaluable! I'm going through it with my daughter (first and only time since she's an only child). It's been really helpful that I had to have a transcript when she started dual enrollment last year and that it has to be updated each semester.

Unfortunately only one of the six schools she's applying to uses the Common App, so it's been individual applications. At this point all the admissions applications are in, so she's working on honors college and scholarship apps this weekend. Recommenders have been contacted, transcripts from one program we used for a few classes ordered, fees paid, and I mailed off counselor packets today (cover letter, transcript, school profile, counselor letter, and, in the case of two schools, the specific high school form they wanted). I'm not sending course descriptions unless a school specifically asks for them, but I have them available. Now we need to get the dual enrollment transcripts ordered then wait a couple of weeks and fill out the FAFSA.

I decided to offer my daughter an incentive to get her motivated to start the process and have ordered a celebratory present she can open once the applications are complete. Of course, just after we mailed off things, she's been offered a part-time job in the church nursery, so I guess she will need to send the admissions counselors that info once details about the job are finalized. I'm expecting that she will be contacted by the schools and find out for sure who her admissions counselors will be.

• Like 3

I recall chatting with you by PM awhile back.... you're in CA, yes? Are you applying to UC schools? How is the UC app going - curious to know how that's going for us UC-hopefuls around here. :-)

After so much helpful advice, I too have already completed (mostly) course descriptions from last year (9th) and have some of my ds's work samples printed out. I should work on the school profile earlier than later, as that won't change - but the counselor letter is another thing all on its own! I'll surely wait til the last minute for that one! 

So exciting though - good luck to you!!

• Like 1

I decided to offer my daughter an incentive to get her motivated to start the process and have ordered a celebratory present she can open once the applications are complete. Of course, just after we mailed off things, she's been offered a part-time job in the church nursery, so I guess she will need to send the admissions counselors that info once details about the job are finalized. I'm expecting that she will be contacted by the schools and find out for sure who her admissions counselors will be.

We're in this for the first time, too, and everything is new to us.  This part that I bolded is confusing to me.  Why would a college care about a part time job that will just be starting?  I understand them wanting to know about work experience, but this is a job that hasn't started yet.  Where would you put that information?

We're in this for the first time, too, and everything is new to us.  This part that I bolded is confusing to me.  Why would a college care about a part time job that will just be starting?  I understand them wanting to know about work experience, but this is a job that hasn't started yet.  Where would you put that information?

I would put it under work experience. I think they would care because it's going to be an important aspect of her senior year, taking on increasing responsibility, and gives a fuller picture of her, just as if she was elected to an office in a club. If they choose to ignore it, then so be it.

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 1

Of course, just after we mailed off things, she's been offered a part-time job in the church nursery, so I guess she will need to send the admissions counselors that info once details about the job are finalized. I'm expecting that she will be contacted by the schools and find out for sure who her admissions counselors will be.

Why? I would only bother adding this information if, so far, she has had no extracurriculars whatsoever, so this part time job is the only thing she does outside academics. 

If she does other things, I would not bother sending updates whenever she does a new thing in her senior year.

• Like 2

Why? I would only bother adding this information if, so far, she has had no extracurriculars whatsoever, so this part time job is the only thing she does outside academics.

If she does other things, I would not bother sending updates whenever she does a new thing in her senior year.

I agree. I wouldn't update with a part-time job. The only updates I would submit are major awards.
  • Like 1

We are!  I'll be reading along!

My oldest is applying.  So much has changed since I went to college.  It was so easy to apply back then and so much cheaper and I miss the quarter system!  

I'm not even sure what I don't know about what all she needs to do.  She seems to be getting it done.  

She did change to a 2 day University Model school in 11th and they do get state accreditation.  However, I had 2 years of other schooling to compile and show proof of with work samples to give to them to add to her transcript.  Thankfully, I did keep a file box of every class. It really took quite a lot of time to put together and was a bit overwhelming at moments.  My ds1 started at the same school in 9th grade and I'm so glad I will only have to fill out a few forms for him.  They do not cover every single subject as far as electives, PE etc..  

I think she's only applying to 2 schools.  

• Like 2

Yes, and I am stressed! Mostly because we have a combination of public school (part-time), online (PAHS, Spanish Homeschool Academy) and home school classes to combine into one transcript. She will have a counselor letter from her public school counselor, letters of recommendation from teachers (music mostly) at the high school, course descriptions from us, a GPA combined from all those institutions, and THEN she will have to schedule music auditions in January and February. She wants to apply to 8-9 schools, half of which we have already visited, the other half we will have to do this fall. Then return trips for auditions. If I don't have a full head of grey hair by the end of it all I will be surprised  :willy_nilly:

• Like 1

I agree. I wouldn't update with a part-time job. The only updates I would submit are major awards.

OK, so I have a related question.  DS has not sent in his aps yet, so this isn't about updating, but about mentioning recent commitments.  He just got the coolest ever job, but he JUST got it.  Most of his schools are on the Common Ap, and the extracurricular portion asks about hours past tense, so he's filling it up with other things and not mentioning this job.  Is there a place he or I can mention it?  

I would list it and put just started or his start date. It is not unusual for kids to get jobs in 12th grade, so a brand new start date won't look odd. If he had already sent in his apps, it would be different.

Fwiw, my ds didn't update schools when he won a physics competition competing against numerous high schools from across different states (including math and science high schools.) Pretty sure that was not the right call. He probably should have, but it didn't impact him negatively one way or the other in hindsight.

The only updates my kids have ever sent in are the ones my Dd sent in last yr. She sent in an update when she made the US team and another for a 3rd place in that competition.

• Like 1

OK, so I have a related question.  DS has not sent in his aps yet, so this isn't about updating, but about mentioning recent commitments.  He just got the coolest ever job, but he JUST got it.  Most of his schools are on the Common Ap, and the extracurricular portion asks about hours past tense, so he's filling it up with other things and not mentioning this job.  Is there a place he or I can mention it?  

Put it in the extracurriulars and list as "started Sept 2017"

If it is really the coolest ever, perhaps he can use it in his essay?

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

There's a section on the Common App for "other information". If it's a truly unique interesting job, he could talk about some of the details of this upcoming opportunity there.

• Like 1

OK, so I have a related question. DS has not sent in his aps yet, so this isn't about updating, but about mentioning recent commitments. He just got the coolest ever job, but he JUST got it. Most of his schools are on the Common Ap, and the extracurricular portion asks about hours past tense, so he's filling it up with other things and not mentioning this job. Is there a place he or I can mention it?

I don't know anything (see age of kids) but one session I attended with two adcoms at a selective colllege (bc DS was doing a splash thing concurrently), they both brought up jobs several times as huge positives that show maturity in the real world.
  • Like 2