Menu

Canadian Homeschoolers - Share Your Experiences and Advice

There are a few of us around but I'm not sure how many frequent the High School board.  My dd15 hasn't graduated yet and we haven't yet begun the process of applying to universities so I don't know how much help I am. :)

You'd probably get more results if you were more specific in what you were looking for. :)

I am in Alberta homeschooling my brood.  2 of them are in 11th grade, 2 of them younger.  There is such diversity in how homeschooling is handled in each province, especially when it comes to high school.  It might be better if you mentioned what province you are homeschooling in and what information you are looking for.  What I say or do in Alberta will be very different than someone in Ontario or the maritimes or something would say or do.

Okay, a few questions.

1. Do you know if any provinces offer dual enrollment? Nova Scotia does not appear to, unless they make exceptions.

2. For those who have graduated students, did you go with an accredited diploma or regret that you didn't? An IRL friend has used CLE's accredited program for her oldest, but that's not the route I want to take.

3. What did you use for Canadian history/government?

4. When applying to Canadian universities, did you submit a portfolio?

Okay, a few questions.

1. Do you know if any provinces offer dual enrollment? Nova Scotia does not appear to, unless they make exceptions.

2. For those who have graduated students, did you go with an accredited diploma or regret that you didn't? An IRL friend has used CLE's accredited program for her oldest, but that's not the route I want to take.

1.  Dual enrollment doesn't really exist in Canada - mostly, I think, because we don't have anything in Canada resembling the 2 year associate's degree that exists in the States.  Our first two years of uni are also not general, as they (I think) are in many programs in US universities so it wouldn't make sense to say that our last two years of high school could be equivalent to the first two years of post-secondary.  I think there have been special cases where a student is very advanced and shows that she/he is capable of doing university level work at a younger age and so is accepted to uni earlier than 18 but that's not really dual enrollment - it's just being accepted young.  At the community college where I teach, we have a program called SWAC (School Within A College) that is sort-of-kind-of dual enrollment but it's meant for students who didn't graduate from high school by 18.  They can go to the college and take gen ed courses there and those credits will count towards helping them to finish high school as well as counting towards a college diploma, if they wish to get one.

2.  I haven't graduated a student yet but we are not going with an accredited program.  I do plan on having dd take 6 AP courses (with AP exams) as well as having her write the SAT so that I have outside, standardized test scores to show prospective universities.

3.  We used some of Donna Ward's curriculum when dd was younger:

https://www.donnaward.net/shop.php?area=sub&id=7(Canadian geography)

https://www.donnaward.net/shop.php?area=sub&id=3 (Canadian history)

For high school, we're using some texts from Oxford University Press:

Geography  http://www.oupcanada.com/school/companion/9780195425390.html

History  http://www.oupcanada.com/catalog/9780195431568.html

Civics and Citizenship  http://www.oupcanada.com/catalog/9780199007691.html

Dd is NOT a history/humanities girl :) so we chose a route that will get those subjects covered with the minimum of fuss and stress.

4.  As I say, we aren't at the point of applying yet but my plan is to approach any universities that dd is interested in and ask to speak to someone in charge of admissions for homeschooled students.  I'll then find out from them what they would like to see for the particular program that dd would be applying for (piano performance, more than likely).

Hope that helps a bit! :)

I would look at community colleges for dual enrollment, or some similar arrangement.  I doubt many have a policy, but some don't require grade 2 for at least some courses.  Typically many try and be flexible.

I would also suggest contacting the universities you might be interested in to see what they want.  I know mine typically asked for n essay of some kind.

1.  Dual enrollment doesn't really exist in Canada - mostly, I think, because we don't have anything in Canada resembling the 2 year associate's degree that exists in the States.  Our first two years of uni are also not general, as they (I think) are in many programs in US universities so it wouldn't make sense to say that our last two years of high school could be equivalent to the first two years of post-secondary.  I think there have been special cases where a student is very advanced and shows that she/he is capable of doing university level work at a younger age and so is accepted to uni earlier than 18 but that's not really dual enrollment - it's just being accepted young.  At the community college where I teach, we have a program called SWAC (School Within A College) that is sort-of-kind-of dual enrollment but it's meant for students who didn't graduate from high school by 18.  They can go to the college and take gen ed courses there and those credits will count towards helping them to finish high school as well as counting towards a college diploma, if they wish to get one.

2.  I haven't graduated a student yet but we are not going with an accredited program.  I do plan on having dd take 6 AP courses (with AP exams) as well as having her write the SAT so that I have outside, standardized test scores to show prospective universities.

3.  We used some of Donna Ward's curriculum when dd was younger:

https://www.donnaward.net/shop.php?area=sub&id=7(Canadian geography)

https://www.donnaward.net/shop.php?area=sub&id=3 (Canadian history)

For high school, we're using some texts from Oxford University Press:

Geography  http://www.oupcanada.com/school/companion/9780195425390.html

History  http://www.oupcanada.com/catalog/9780195431568.html

Civics and Citizenship  http://www.oupcanada.com/catalog/9780199007691.html

Dd is NOT a history/humanities girl :) so we chose a route that will get those subjects covered with the minimum of fuss and stress.

4.  As I say, we aren't at the point of applying yet but my plan is to approach any universities that dd is interested in and ask to speak to someone in charge of admissions for homeschooled students.  I'll then find out from them what they would like to see for the particular program that dd would be applying for (piano performance, more than likely).

Hope that helps a bit! :)

Thank you for clarifying dual enrollment for me. I was not aware of the differences between US and Canadian post-secondary education.

Which AP courses will she take?

Thank you for clarifying dual enrollment for me. I was not aware of the differences between US and Canadian post-secondary education.

Which AP courses will she take?

She's currently taking AP Music Theory as a Grade 10 student but that's not usual - music just happens to be her "thing". :)  Next year, I'm hoping to have her do AP Chem and AP Bio (or AP Psych - whichever she prefers) and then in Grade 12 she'll take AP Calc (probably AB), AP Physics (probably one of the alg-based ones), and an AP English (not sure if it will be the Language one or the Lit one).

• Like 1

Okay, a few questions.

1. Alberta does in select programs from select universities/colleges IF your child is registered fully aligned (essentially a public schooler at home).

2. I am not doing an accredited program, my teens are achieving the Alberta Provincial Diploma, meaning doing all the course worka nd jumping through all the hoops for the provincially approved courses/credits to get the gov't issued diploma.

3. I use modern history through Canadian Eyes which starts with the vikings and aboriginals.  Lots to read.

4. No my kids will not submit portfolios they will have the approved grade 12 courses so they will have a gov't issued transcript to submit to apply to schools, a few take homeschoolers based on portfolio and entrance exams but most alberta post secondary schools want the approved courses.

• Like 1

Okay, a few questions.

I posted this a month ago:  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/573284-yay-homeschooling-yay-for-wtm-i-cant-believe-i-get-to-post-this-here/

Ds will not have an accredited diploma, but no regrets because obviously now it's not a problem.

Yes, we submitted portfolios (two acceptances so far, and two schools are still deliberating).  I included the following:

- letter from me explaining our homeschooling philosophy (I included an offer of references if needed)

- letter from ds explaining his hopes and goals for post-secondary

- course descriptions, including texts used

- books lists

- transcript with my own grading system:  A = excellent work, B = exceeded expectations, C = met expectations, D = could have done better

- SAT scores (including SAT subject tests)

- writing samples

Edited by Colleen in NS
  • Like 1

I posted this a month ago:  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/573284-yay-homeschooling-yay-for-wtm-i-cant-believe-i-get-to-post-this-here/

Ds will not have an accredited diploma, but no regrets because obviously now it's not a problem.

Yes, we submitted portfolios (two acceptances so far, and two schools are still deliberating).  I included the following:

- letter from me explaining our homeschooling philosophy (I included an offer of references if needed)

- letter from ds explaining his hopes and goals for post-secondary

- course descriptions, including texts used

- books lists

- transcript with my own grading system:  A = excellent work, B = exceeded expectations, C = met expectations, D = could have done better

- SAT scores (including SAT subject tests)

It seems like there was something else, but I can't remember.

Thank you, fellow Nova Scotian. 

Congratulations to you and your son! If you are comfortable pm'ing me which schools accepted your son, please do so.

Which year did your son take the SAT? Grade 11?

• Like 2

She's currently taking AP Music Theory as a Grade 10 student but that's not usual - music just happens to be her "thing". :)  Next year, I'm hoping to have her do AP Chem and AP Bio (or AP Psych - whichever she prefers) and then in Grade 12 she'll take AP Calc (probably AB), AP Physics (probably one of the alg-based ones), and an AP English (not sure if it will be the Language one or the Lit one).

Are you using College Board?

Are you using College Board?

She's taking AP Music Theory through APHomeschoolers and I've made arrangements with the local high school for them to order in the exam for her from the College Board.  They don't offer AP Music Theory but they do offer a few other AP courses and they seem willing to order any AP exam dd wants to take.  I outsourced AP Music Theory because that level of theory goes waaaaaaaay beyond my own music education. :)  For dd's future AP courses, some will probably be outsourced and some will be home taught.

• Like 1

Okay, a few questions.

Education at all levels is different from province to province, as you're probably aware. Also, university and college openness/requirements of homeschool students varies. In our region in Ontario, there is a college that offers dual enrollment in some courses for homeschoolers. There is also an apprentice program. Two of the universities here offer a Head Start program where students 16 and up (PS or homeschool) can take up to 2 university courses and use it for credit for future university enrollment, to accompany high school marks and/or portfolio, or just audit. There is a cost for the courses. Another regional university is more open to homeschool students coming in as special students, and from there moving into a full-time program.

I haven't graduated a child yet, but know several homeschool families that have, and they haven't done an accredited diploma. Their children were accepted in the university programs of their choice. They submitted a combination of marks (Head Start courses, online courses) and portfolio. They also recieved scholarships.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

It's probably worth taking a look at some universities' websites in regard to their homeschool admissions policies. It varies widely from school to school and province to province. I haven't graduated anyone yet (and I live quite a distance west of you!), but I looked into every 4-year degree-granting school in the country for a big workshop about post-secondary requirements that our local homeschool association sponsored this spring. Not every school has a policy up on its site, but it is illuminating to read those that do.

Sarah Rainsberger's blog, though it hasn't been updated for three or four years now, is still a valuable resource as you begin to investigate how things work here. http://www.rainsberger.ca/blog/ontariohomeschooluniversityadmissions

• Like 1

It's probably worth taking a look at some universities' websites in regard to their homeschool admissions policies. It varies widely from school to school and province to province. I haven't graduated anyone yet (and I live quite a distance west of you!), but I looked into every 4-year degree-granting school in the country for a big workshop about post-secondary requirements that our local homeschool association sponsored this spring. Not every school has a policy up on its site, but it is illuminating to read those that do.

Sarah Rainsberger's blog, though it hasn't been updated for three or four years now, is still a valuable resource as you begin to investigate how things work here. http://www.rainsberger.ca/blog/ontariohomeschooluniversityadmissions

Yes, I recently stumbled upon her blog and have been reading. Thanks.

Looking at your research, do you know which Maritime schools are more open to homeschoolers in general without an accredited diploma?

Thank you, fellow Nova Scotian. 

Congratulations to you and your son! If you are comfortable pm'ing me which schools accepted your son, please do so.

Which year did your son take the SAT? Grade 11?

Congratulations to you ! Would you mind pm'ing me also that which schools accepted your son.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi, I'm not here very often but popped in for physics helps for my middle and noticed this thread.  We are also in Nova Scotia.

My big kids are enrolled in part-time high school but allowing part-time access is very much at the discretion of the principal in your district.  My kids are lucky b/c the school has full-on welcomed them and have no problems with them being in school 1/2 time.  Luckily enough for us, this little high school in our backyard offers a number of AP courses.  When my kids "graduate" from high school, they won't have an official high school diploma.  It will be the courses they've taken in high school, their AP and SAT results, letters of reference from their teachers at the high school and my own meager recording of what we've done.  

Oldest is interested in enrolling early at uni but we're not quite prepared for that so this year, he's doing two AP Physics exams and AP Cal B/C via AofPS as preparation.  Next year, he'll do both of the calculus-based physics AP exams.  From what I can see via his peer group, my kids may not have a proper high-school diploma but they are at least equally prepared for the rigors of university and some cases, probably more prepared.  Of the 25 students who wrote the AP Cal A/B exam last May from the high school where my kids attend, 2 scored a 5, 2 scored a 4 and the rest were 3 and below.   

The standardized testing doesn't lie.  Your student is either prepared for university or not . . . and the admissions office of the universities in our city (to quote a homeschooling family in which dad is a grad school prof) "swings their doors wide open" for first year students.  It is a business, afterall . . . 

I think so long that you keep your ducks in a row and work backwards from the end goal of university admission, it will go well for you in this province. 

Tricia

Edited by Sweetpeach
  • Like 1

This varies so much province by province that it's hard to generalize. I think you need to focus tightly on your own province or, if your student has specific uni/college goals, their admission policies. 

Im in BC &  have a 21yo in college  & a 17yo still home but I'm not sure my experiences would really help you, kwim? 

• Like 1