Menu

Class of 2018 acceptance thread

freesia

My son was just accepted to Brooklyn College, his first-and-only choice. They have a 2 year Engineering program with transfer agreements to City College (Grove) and NYU. If he changes his mind about Engineering, he can major in almost anything else, like math or business or music, which are his other interests.

We were concerned because NY colleges, especially SUNY/CUNY are not homeschool friendly but the application was less of a hassle than we anticipated. The letter we received from the school district did not at all say what the colleges said they wanted it to say (he's been "home instructed per NYS Regulations and is now beyond compulsory school age" vs he's "completed the equivalent of a New York State four-year high school program through home schooling"). But CUNY accepted it without any problem - we're so thrilled!!

It is 20m by bus from our home and we can afford the tuition without loans (we're not eligible for FA, including the new Excelsior Scholarship). He is happy to stay home for a few more years.

He'll graduate in June and then I'll be officially retired!! One done with her masters and working, one getting her masters and working, one in college and working, and now one starting college and soon to be looking for work. I'm feeling very accomplished today!

• Like 25

I know this is something little but I feel like celebrating.

DS has been on medical leave from his school and had to reapply to see if he could go back for spring term. He just heard that yes, he can go back!

He is excited and feels he is in a better place than he has been the previous two years and wants to give it a final try before he makes the decision to transfer.

• Like 24

I know this is something little but I feel like celebrating.

DS has been on medical leave from his school and had to reapply to see if he could go back for spring term. He just heard that yes, he can go back!

He is excited and feels he is in a better place than he has been the previous two years and wants to give it a final try before he makes the decision to transfer.

This is great. I am happy they are working with him. Hoping the next year is much better than previous ones have been.
  • Like 3

My son was just accepted to Brooklyn College, his first-and-only choice. They have a 2 year Engineering program with transfer agreements to City College (Grove) and NYU.

He'll graduate in June and then I'll be officially retired!! One done with her masters and working, one getting her masters and working, one in college and working, and now one starting college and soon to be looking for work. I'm feeling very accomplished today!

Congratulations!!!! What a great homeschool journey. Looking forward to that day when all of mine will be done. Can’t wait.

• Like 1

YAY Heather!  I will toast you later across the border!  That is wonderful news.  Happy for your family! :party:

Congrats to all!  It's so fun to watch this thread as the parent of a junior.  

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 2

My son applied to U Alabama long after the published scholarship deadline.

Today he received word that he is awarded the Presidential Scholarship there.  It was hard to parse the dollar value one the screen without a comma--so many zeroes in a row.  I am stunned that he is hearing about this now. 

We are so humbled and blessed that he has great options.

• Like 27

I hope you aren't sick of hearing from me--maybe my son applied to too many colleges. He was covering two disparate majors, though.

We just heard he is in at Northeastern engineering.

Also heard from RPI engineering on Saturday with a scholarship--I think it was called Leadership Award

Has he picked a major? Or does he have a specialized major that is not offered at all schools?

I hope you aren't sick of hearing from me--maybe my son applied to too many colleges. He was covering two disparate majors, though.

We just heard he is in at Northeastern engineering.

Also heard from RPI engineering on Saturday with a scholarship--I think it was called Leadership Award

Has he picked a major? Or does he have a specialized major that is not offered at all schools?

You know that college my son applied to on November 13th?  They have FINALLY made a decision, according to their website.  They won't actually say what the decision is, and he has to wait for the mail, but I would be very surprised if he didn't get in, it is a safety school and easier to get into than the  ones he has gotten into so far.

• Like 7

Since all the college acceptances were in after my last post DS was just waiting on scholarship news.  Those were finalized this week- he has received both an Army ROTC scholarship and a Marine Corps Option ROTC scholarship.  Now he must start making final decisions.  I think I might be able to start breathing again. 

• Like 20

Emory actually gave him quite a bit more than we expected. Not quite enough. I'm thinking I might call to see if we can get a bit more. I have no idea if people do this or if it ever actually works, though. 

ETA: And, of course, the boards are about to go down! I thought we were done and now this. I come here to calm down so I don't know what I'm going to do this next week. 

Edited by Joker
  • Like 9

One of his interests is mechanical engineering, which is easy to find. The other is industrial design, which is typically in the college of art.

He is still deciding.

Good luck to him in making the decision. I didn't know that about industrial design. My sister's college-boyfriend majored in industrial design, but I never associated it with art. Maybe his school was atypical. He did design/create things, so I can see the art connection.

He originally won it back in December to UW-Madison, Marquette, and UNC-Chapel Hill. At the time he'd only been accepted to Marquette, so that's where he accepted it. Since then, he's also been accepted to Madison, but still waiting on Chapel Hill. There is a process to transfer schools, so that might be an option. Carolina is his #1. He's evenly split between Marquette and Madison. Hopefully this is making sense; just had an IPA to celebrate! ðŸ˜

I hope your son receives more good news from North Carolina soon.

• Like 1

I hope your son receives more good news from North Carolina soon.

Unfortunately, we found out today he didn't get in the Carolina. But, that's ok. We are so darn stinkin' happy and grateful about the AROTC waiver! Just when it couldn't get better, we  found out earlier this week that Marquette gives a $7,000 room and board sweetener to 4 year AROTC scholarship winners! So, it's Marquette!!!

• Like 19

Emory actually gave him quite a bit more than we expected. Not quite enough. I'm thinking I might call to see if we can get a bit more. I have no idea if people do this or if it ever actually works, though. 

ETA: And, of course, the boards are about to go down! I thought we were done and now this. I come here to calm down so I don't know what I'm going to do this next week. 

I don't know about at Emory specifically. If you have a good offer from another school, use it to encourage Emory to give more aid. Assuming Emory is their top choice!

We are planning to do this if my son decides he prefers the school that offered less merit aid.  

• Like 2

Unfortunately, we found out today he didn't get in the Carolina. But, that's ok. We are so darn stinkin' happy and grateful about the AROTC waiver! Just when it couldn't get better, we  found out earlier this week that Marquette gives a $7,000 room and board sweetener to 4 year AROTC scholarship winners! So, it's Marquette!!!

Love your happy ending!!

• Like 2

There is usually an appeal process. As someone else mentioned, some schools will consider offers from peer institutions in their calculations, and your son could ask if they do that.

• Like 2

Emory is a meets full need school. Meets need schools generally will not price match.

Your best bet is to discuss ways the financial aid forms do not match your true current situation, especially in terms of involuntary expenses or loss of income or assets.

• Like 1

Emory is a meets full need school. Meets need schools generally will not price match.

Your best bet is to discuss ways the financial aid forms do not match your true current situation, especially in terms of involuntary expenses or loss of income or assets.

That's interesting. Their financial aid summary showed our need as determined by them and our aid. They did not meet what they said our need was.

Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying?

Edited by Joker
  • Like 2

It's a gap with no explanation. I'm wondering if maybe since he was accepted last night and the financial aid information was just uploaded today if maybe there is something missing. I'm planning on calling or emailing Monday to find out.

Definitely the best way to start is by asking lots of questions rather than immediately demanding more money. The better you understand how awards are calculated and what types of appeals they consider, the better your chances of succeeding in getting more aid.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, we found out today he didn't get in the Carolina. But, that's ok. We are so darn stinkin' happy and grateful about the AROTC waiver! Just when it couldn't get better, we found out earlier this week that Marquette gives a $7,000 room and board sweetener to 4 year AROTC scholarship winners! So, it's Marquette!!!

Sorry to hear that, but the bright side is that with the additional money, he has an easy choice. So glad that the waiver worked out for him. Congrats.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, new acceptances and recap:

UNC Asheville, with two small scholarships 

Western Carolina with a small scholarship (but covers tuition)

UNC Charlotte (applied after EA, no scholarships expected)

Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) (Merit Aid Scholarship awarded, did not submit a portfolio because he changed his mind about going)

He has decided on Western.  I think what cinched the decisions was that he has some friends going from high school!  One he plans to room with.  But we are fine with however he was actually able to make a firm decision.  He was so undecided and unmotivated to make a decision that we finally said, "Decision ON YOU by April or off to community college you will go!"

• Like 17

Ds got into Bucknell University.  However, the amount the want us to pay way laughable (25% above our EFC--and that was based on money we don't actually "have" bc of our strange housing situation).  So, the decision was easy. He'll go to Houghton College and participate in their Honors in London program (spending the second semester freshman year in London).  So glad to have a decision.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, GoodGrief1 said:

That's great news, Dawn! This has been a big year for your family as far as launching kiddos!

Yes it has!  Oldest started his 4 year program in January.  And now 2nd has decided he wants to do the pre-college program in the summer, so he is starting in June.....two within 6 months if you look at it that way!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, freesia said:

Ds got into Bucknell University.  However, the amount the want us to pay way laughable (25% above our EFC--and that was based on money we don't actually "have" bc of our strange housing situation).  So, the decision was easy. He'll go to Houghton College and participate in their Honors in London program (spending the second semester freshman year in London).  So glad to have a decision.

Wonderful!  My friend is a professor at Houghton!  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Wonderful!  My friend is a professor at Houghton!  

Great!

I had never heard of Houghton before moving to NY, but since ds became interested Houghton grads have come out of the wood work.  Apparently even my Sunday School Supervisor at the church I grew up in when to Houghton.  For such a small school, there are a lot of grads and people who work there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, freesia said:

Great!

I had never heard of Houghton before moving to NY, but since ds became interested Houghton grads have come out of the wood work.  Apparently even my Sunday School Supervisor at the church I grew up in when to Houghton.  For such a small school, there are a lot of grads and people who work there.

I am not even from NY, nor have I ever lived there, but I know several Houghton grads!  

• Like 1

Excited to say that DS has been invited to be a Rawlings Cornell Presidential Research Scholar at Cornell University.  We had never even heard about this program before, but if we had we would never have imagined that DS could be chosen; he has zero research experience.  It makes me think that someone took his essays seriously, and they were worth all that effort!  It looks like an incredible opportunity, and he is very excited about it.  We're happy he has some great options; will be so relieved when the decision is finally made!

(Have been having difficulty logging in and it just got fixed!)

• Like 25

DS was accepted to Carnegie Mellon!!  He was also rejected by Princeton, Harvard, and Stanford but has been pretty philosophical about it.  

Now he has to decide between Michigan, CMU, and MIT.  All will cost about the same, so at least that aspect is out of the equation.  Campus Preview Weekend at MIT is next weekend, so he is flying to Boston to see if MIT is a good fit.  I am soooo glad this process is almost over!  

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

The hardest part of the board shutdown was knowing I was missing all the college news! Lots of great updates here.

Lewelma, I am convinced that Harvard/Princeton/Stanford do consider whether a student chose to "spend" their Early Admission app on their school. Congratulations to your son on his great choices. Sounds like he will thrive at any of them.

I've got an interesting (well, to me!) story to tell. I think I mentioned that I had been helping a young man (extended family member) with really good, not great, stats with his college apps. It was tricky, because he was likely going to need pretty much the full cost of attendance covered. Complicated family situation, unlikely to get need based aid because of dad's income...but dad was also unwilling to give him more than $2500 a year. His GPA was just low enough that he would not qualify for the highest award at schools with auto merit, but he did achieve National Merit status. I guided him toward National Merit schools, and a few schools with full ride competitive scholarships where I thought he might have a shot.

He got into all the places he applied, including a school with a full ride for National Merit. He was unsuccessful with competitive scholarships. What none of us knew, including his parents, was that he secretly applied to Yale. It was his one reach school, and he was accepted.

It's hard not to get excited about the possibilities there for him. He's a kid who has experienced some abuse, and just generally poor judgment on the part of his parents. He has made the best of his situation though and risen up to be a leader in various groups. He's just a neat young man, very positive. We live in a geographically separate place, and he has left rarely.The problem, of course, is finances. He is in the process of appealing his financial case to Yale. I'm really hoping that, despite the obstacles, it works out for him. He will be fine wherever he goes in the end, though.

• Like 22

Oh my! Colleges don't often more aid just because a parent doesn't want to pay. The best shot will be documenting abuse. Write a letter for him with what you have observed and have any other possible witnesses do so as well. If police or CPS or a school official have been involved, get that documentation as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoodGrief1 said:

He got into all the places he applied, including a school with a full ride for National Merit. He was unsuccessful with competitive scholarships. What none of us knew, including his parents, was that he secretly applied to Yale. It was his one reach school, and he was accepted.

It's hard not to get excited about the possibilities there for him. He's a kid who has experienced some abuse, and just generally poor judgment on the part of his parents. He has made the best of his situation though and risen up to be a leader in various groups. He's just a neat young man, very positive. We live in a geographically separate place, and he has left rarely.The problem, of course, is finances. He is in the process of appealing his financial case to Yale. I'm really hoping that, despite the obstacles, it works out for him. He will be fine wherever he goes in the end, though.

I love that he took the initiative. Mission accomplished!!!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, JanetC said:

Oh my! Colleges don't often more aid just because a parent doesn't want to pay. The best shot will be documenting abuse. Write a letter for him with what you have observed and have any other possible witnesses do so as well. If police or CPS or a school official have been involved, get that documentation as well.

Yes. His original, innocent, thought was to have his father write the college and tell them that he wouldn't pay. Which, of course, would not be at all successful. We discussed me and perhaps a couple of other mentors write letters on his behalf with some details. He could be compelling talking to someone in person or on the phone too, I think. Very sincere, humble young man. Waiting to see how some of his initial steps in the process play out.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GoodGrief1 said:

Waiting to see how some of his initial steps in the process play out.

Your best shot is your first shot -- don't give Yale the information it needs in dribs and drabs. Each time you call back with "one more thing" you get annoying and the default is just to say the same thing they said last time. Make sure he puts it all out there. Especially if he is humble, he needs those letters from the adults around him who wil sing his praises. It is also the tendency of victims of abuse to "normalize" it and not express what they have really been through. An adult can be more frank and direct. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JanetC said:

Your best shot is your first shot -- don't give Yale the information it needs in dribs and drabs. Each time you call back with "one more thing" you get annoying and the default is just to say the same thing they said last time. Make sure he puts it all out there. Especially if he is humble, he needs those letters from the adults around him who wil sing his praises. It is also the tendency of victims of abuse to "normalize" it and not express what they have really been through. An adult can be more frank and direct. 

Excellent points.

On 4/3/2018 at 7:03 AM, DawnM said:

Ok, new acceptances and recap:

UNC Asheville, with two small scholarships 

Western Carolina with a small scholarship (but covers tuition)

UNC Charlotte (applied after EA, no scholarships expected)

Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) (financial info not in yet)

He has decided on Western.  I think what cinched the decisions was that he has some friends going from high school!  One he plans to room with.  But we are fine with however he was actually able to make a firm decision.  He was so undecided and unmotivated to make a decision that we finally said, "Decision ON YOU by April or off to community college you will go!"

Congrats! My niece is at Western and really likes it. My daughter decided today on UNC-Wilmington at their accepted student day, so we put down the deposit. They were the only state school to give her any real merit aid ($5K renewable), and they added a small grant we hadn't expected. I was really surprised that she had no trouble getting accepted and into the honors colleges at the other state schools where she applied, but no aid (UNCC did offer her a small one year only scholarship). One of her privates came very close (Catawba), and was cheaper than some of the other state schools, but in the end it was just a bit smaller than she wanted. It's more than if she lived at home and went to UNCC, but we all really wanted her to live on-campus if possible. Now if she can manage to get an RA position after her first year, she'll be golden, as I heard today that covers room and board plus a monthly stipend.

• Like 13

That Yale story is fantastic!  Even if he isn't successful, a kid like that is going to land on his feet!  Kudos to him.  His application must be strong - I know it's been a rough year in admissions for many high flyers.  Congrats to him on the NM scholarship - that sounds like an amazing opportunity too!

• Like 1

On 4/8/2018 at 11:10 AM, FuzzyCatz said:

That Yale story is fantastic!  Even if he isn't successful, a kid like that is going to land on his feet!  Kudos to him.  His application must be strong - I know it's been a rough year in admissions for many high flyers.  Congrats to him on the NM scholarship - that sounds like an amazing opportunity too!

I know he will do well wherever he goes, but I do hope that Yale could work out for him.

He had great test scores, and a pretty good GPA (it wasn't high enough for some of the top automatic scholarships though.) His course rigor was okay, but not the most difficult. He was top 10% of his class, but I think he was about 35th overall. His extracurriculars were quite good/interesting, and showed leadership. He directed "Death of a Salesman" at his high school in the fall, and it was quite good! He had geographic diversity going for him, but no other hooks really. I suspect his essays and his teacher/mentor recommendations sealed the deal for him. He is a thoughtful kid and a good communicator.

• Like 4

On 4/5/2018 at 7:06 PM, lewelma said:

DS was accepted to Carnegie Mellon!!  He was also rejected by Princeton, Harvard, and Stanford but has been pretty philosophical about it.  

Now he has to decide between Michigan, CMU, and MIT.  All will cost about the same, so at least that aspect is out of the equation.  Campus Preview Weekend at MIT is next weekend, so he is flying to Boston to see if MIT is a good fit.  I am soooo glad this process is almost over!  

Awesome.  I thought your DS applied ED to MIT?  or was it single choice early action (do they have that at MIT)?  I am sure you have stated it somewhere and I forgot or it got buried, haha.  He'll go with MIT, he knows he will, he just needs to let it settle in (bwahaha).  I am sort of kidding ;)

• Like 1