Menu

Class of 2018 acceptance thread

freesia

Ds was just accepted to Queens - he applied to their Commerce program and to their Honours Science program and was accepted into both. Also, small scholarships for both, but they reevaluate scholarship amounts in July and he'll see a big difference in marks between what his November marks were and what his July ones are.

• Like 28

My daughter applied to a handful of colleges and was accepted to everyone of them and chose Virginia Wesleyan University.  She will be living in the dorms but close enough to come home to use my washer/dryer and kitchen whenever she wants to. :D  It's not a full ride but full enough that my husband and I are not OMG over it.  I also learned because he is still active duty our daughter gets a living allowance so that will go towards her dorm.  I think she is hoping for the a dorm with a private bathroom instead of the community one.  I personally push for non community.  I never lived in the dorms but did service in the Navy and lived in the barracks.  Dorms and barracks are not so different right? 

• Like 23

FYI for those accepted at Purdue - Trustee and Presidential scholarships are posted to portals if you received one.

Ds received $4000 year. We were hoping for more but it's doable with more tightening that we wanted. He still hasn't decided and IU has offered double that so we'll see. There are still departmental scholarships that we won't know about until end of February.

• Like 12

Still waiting for college #3 to come in.  He finished the application on November 13th.  Yes, that missed the EA November 1st deadline, but several other friends applied late and heard by the end of December.

Grrrr......I hope we hear before too long.  This is one of the 2 schools he is most interested in currently.  

• Like 1

Still waiting for college #3 to come in.  He finished the application on November 13th.  Yes, that missed the EA November 1st deadline, but several other friends applied late and heard by the end of December.

Grrrr......I hope we hear before too long.  This is one of the 2 schools he is most interested in currently.  

I'd have him call and see if they "have everything [they] need." I've read too many reports of schools missing something and it not being reflected in the portal and the college doesn't let the kid know until they call.

• Like 4

FYI for those accepted at Purdue - Trustee and Presidential scholarships are posted to portals if you received one.

Ds received $4000 year. We were hoping for more but it's doable with more tightening that we wanted. He still hasn't decided and IU has offered double that so we'll see. There are still departmental scholarships that we won't know about until end of February.

DS didn't get any and we're pretty bummed :(

He still has Purdue as his top choice, so hopefully something departmental will come through or he'll get something else he's applied for. (outside)

He got a couple of scholarships at IU so that basically tuition is covered, and he applied for the Cox Research Scholarship there too which would be a full ride. He'd prefer not IU because Purdue is such a better program for CS and because our church denomination has a really active young group there, but we shall see ...

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

He still has Purdue as his top choice, so hopefully something departmental will come through or he'll get something else he's applied for. (outside)

He got a couple of scholarships at IU so that basically tuition is covered, and he applied for the Cox Research Scholarship there too which would be a full ride. He'd prefer not IU because Purdue is such a better program for CS and because our church denomination has a really active young group there, but we shall see ...

:grouphug:

• Like 2

I'd have him call and see if they "have everything [they] need." I've read too many reports of schools missing something and it not being reflected in the portal and the college doesn't let the kid know until they call.

Maybe.  Although they did sent a notification for each thing they received.  

*Technically they can wait until April to let us know.....if you turned it in by Nov. 1st., decision is January 30th (everyone who has turned it in for EA has heard within a few weeks though.)  And if you turn it in after Nov. 1st, they will let you know by April 30th.  But even those have heard within a few weeks, well, of the people WE know....I know we only know so many people.  :lol:

• Like 1

My sympathies. My daughter has found out she has not been invited to compete for the big scholarships at two of her choices and it's definitely a disappointment. She has good scholarship offers at some others, though no really knock your socks off ones yet, one competition to go to which she has been invited, and hasn't heard from a couple of schools on that front. She did go through the competition for her first choice, but didn't get awarded enough to bring it into doable range. It's quite a roller-coaster.

• Like 2

My sympathies. My daughter has found out she has not been invited to compete for the big scholarships at two of her choices and it's definitely a disappointment. She has good scholarship offers at some others, though no really knock your socks off ones yet, one competition to go to which she has been invited, and hasn't heard from a couple of schools on that front. She did go through the competition for her first choice, but didn't get awarded enough to bring it into doable range. It's quite a roller-coaster.

Roller coaster is a perfect description!

• Like 1

Kewb, any update on the aid negotiations?

Congrats to your daughter, Chris! JMU sounds perfect.

Just received the revised aid from Susquehanna. They did come back with more. So that was nice to see.

Now that all the aid has come in she has 5 viable choices. Planning 2nd visits now to all the top choices.

• Like 10

Sorry Karen.  

If she is looking at NC state colleges, scholarships aren't easy to get.  

:grouphug:  I'm sorry.  I wish everyone could afford their first choice college, esp if they get accepted.  :grouphug:

The good thing is most students end up enjoying where they go - not all certainly, but most.  Some even end up glad they went to second or third choice vs first in later years, so the finances or lack of acceptance being an issue ends up as a blessing in disguise.  I'm in that category myself.

• Like 4

Sorry Karen.  

If she is looking at NC state colleges, scholarships aren't easy to get.  

Thanks. Yes, she's looking at a mix of NC publics and privates. She's actually gotten a nice scholarship to UNCW and to the privates where she's applied but is waiting to hear if she gets anything from UNCC, UNCG, or Appalachian. She was a bit disappointed not to be invited to the scholar's competitions at App and UNCC, but also knew they were always a long shot.

:grouphug:  I'm sorry.  I wish everyone could afford their first choice college, esp if they get accepted.  :grouphug:

The good thing is most students end up enjoying where they go - not all certainly, but most.  Some even end up glad they went to second or third choice vs first in later years, so the finances or lack of acceptance being an issue ends up as a blessing in disguise.  I'm in that category myself.

Thanks. It was an out of state private that she knew was a big financial reach going in, but wanted to try. Luckily, she didn't apply to anywhere she wouldn't want to go (with the exception of one she's eliminated after a second visit), so she's happy with her other acceptances and has good merit aid at some. We're now in the waiting part of the roller coaster to see if she gets merit aid at the rest and exactly what the bottom line will look like at all of them. The nail-biting part is that we won't know about at least one until after the scholar's competition in mid-March, so it's going to be getting close to the wire of May 1.

• Like 2

Just received the revised aid from Susquehanna. They did come back with more. So that was nice to see.

Now that all the aid has come in she has 5 viable choices. Planning 2nd visits now to all the top choices.

I don't know the back story on this. Did you go back for more merit or FA? DD got good merit from them, but no FA. And we certainly could use all the help we can get.

Ds didn't get receive one.  :sad:

Other devastating news this week: Ds had been awarded a 4 year AROTC scholarship to three schools and just had his vision waiver denied. This puts those colleges out of reach financially. (He does have a $17,000 a year merit scholarship to Marquette, but with tuition at $37,000 a year, it's just not do-able.)  :crying:

He received nominations to three service academies, but only USMA so far has requested a vision waiver. The waiver doctors assured ds that he was fine, but we still haven't heard from USMA and we've been waiting since November. It's hard to not be discouraged when we see lots of offers of appointment going out.

Ds is still waiting to hear back from two schools -- Grove City and UNC-Chapel Hill. Chapel Hill OOS is a long shot, but maybe Grove City will offer merit aid.

Definitely a roller coaster ride for our family, too. 

• Like 3

I don't know the back story on this. Did you go back for more merit or FA? DD got good merit from them, but no FA. And we certainly could use all the help we can get.

We went to them for more financial(needs based) aid. We were able to show them a comparable schools offer and we explained our financial situation in greater depth

• Like 1

Other devastating news this week: Ds had been awarded a 4 year AROTC scholarship to three schools and just had his vision waiver denied. This puts those colleges out of reach financially. (He does have a $17,000 a year merit scholarship to Marquette, but with tuition at $37,000 a year, it's just not do-able.)  :crying:

He received nominations to three service academies, but only USMA so far has requested a vision waiver. The waiver doctors assured ds that he was fine, but we still haven't heard from USMA and we've been waiting since November. It's hard to not be discouraged when we see lots of offers of appointment going out.

Ds is still waiting to hear back from two schools -- Grove City and UNC-Chapel Hill. Chapel Hill OOS is a long shot, but maybe Grove City will offer merit aid.

Oh, Heather, that is especially discouraging about the vision waivers. And this is just because he needs vision correction? We will hope that the other service academies come through for him.

• Like 1

I'll have to get dd to check her Purdue portal this afternoon.  I'm not holding my breath because she has decent stats, but not stellar for Purdue.  We did notice that the Engineering Scholarships open for application later this week.

Similar for dd.  She would really love to go to Saint Louis University since it was tops in most of her criteria, but didn't get invited to their competitive scholarship.  Although she did get their Vice President's scholarship, it is still out of reach for us.  And she hasn't heard on one of the other ones either.  There will be no FA coming.  All we will get is unsubsidized loans.  Which means saddling her with debt that she doesn't want.  

Sorry to hear about the vision waiver.  DD has the same scholarship to Marquette.  It is out of reach for us as well.  

Dd does have 3 schools that will be financially doable for her.  But subsequent visits and further examination of her priorities has moved them to the bottom of her list.    

• Like 2

DS just got two acceptances. We thought he had this decided mid junior year and applied to his first choice in August and has even paid a housing deposit there. Over Christmas he decided to apply to two more.

University of South Florida (accepted with highest automatic out of state scholarship. we believe this also comes with admission to the honors college)

Nova Southeastern (applied to and invited to interview for a dual degree BS/JD program that guarantees him a seat in the law school pending successful undergrad)

If he goes for the interview at Nova it is in February so he has to make a decision. I hate to do that without financial aid info as it would involve flying and missing de classes. Just found out tonight and we'll need to mull that over a bit before making a decision.

USF is affordable. Cheaper than our state flagship and only marginally more than the small regional state U he was planning on.

Sigh...he was supposed to be easy. This threw us for a loop the last few weeks.

Any kid who qualifies for an honors program at USF can get into a better law school than Nova Southeastern. I couldn’t find their full stats, but they have a 14% employment rate at graduation. Terrifying. Not worth the cost of tuition.

• Like 2

Any kid who qualifies for an honors program at USF can get into a better law school than Nova Southeastern. I couldn’t find their full stats, but they have a 14% employment rate at graduation. Terrifying. Not worth the cost of tuition.

I hear what you are saying and that has entered our minds for sure. I appreciate the input. As I said, this is last minute and we really know nothing about it. I can google, though, so I have some impressions for sure.

• Like 1

Similar for dd.  She would really love to go to Saint Louis University since it was tops in most of her criteria, but didn't get invited to their competitive scholarship.  Although she did get their Vice President's scholarship, it is still out of reach for us.  And she hasn't heard on one of the other ones either.  There will be no FA coming.  All we will get is unsubsidized loans.  Which means saddling her with debt that she doesn't want.  

Can she apply for the MLK scholarship at SLU?  Dd was considering applying for it, but her contact there wants her to apply for the departmental scholarship (theater dept.).  And, honestly, SLU isn't her top choice, so she doesn't think she should be taking up their time applying for the MLK.

Can she apply for the MLK scholarship at SLU? Dd was considering applying for it, but her contact there wants her to apply for the departmental scholarship (theater dept.). And, honestly, SLU isn't her top choice, so she doesn't think she should be taking up their time applying for the MLK.

Hmmm. I didn't think she would qualify, but I will have her take a look. Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Today's mail:  accepted into theater program at Univ of Evansville.  She'd already been accepted academically, so that one's COMPLETE!  Woohoo!

Also in today's mail:  accepted into theater program at Butler, but no word yet on whether accepted academically.  We were just there last week for the audition and interview, and really did NOT expect the theater acceptance to come this quickly -- she just sent her thank you cards to the auditors today.  I'm wondering if the academic acceptance is wandering around in the mail somewhere, or maybe that department is just on a totally different schedule.  

DePaul in-person audition and interview was last Saturday, but they will not mail out acceptances and waitlists until mid-March.  Five more auditions next week.  It's a really good feeling to have that U of E acceptance in hand going in to those auditions, and waiting around to hear results.

Side note on DePaul -- dd thought you simply submitted an audition video and then automatically got permission to schedule your in-person slot, because that's how it appeared to work for her.  When we got there we discovered that they had at least 1100 video submissions, and had chosen 300 for the in-person sessions.  It suddenly seemed like the in-person round was a really big deal, which was ... nerve wracking.  Ignorance is bliss with some of these auditions.

• Like 16

Congratulations to everyone on the acceptances!  Hugs to those facing disappointing news or still waiting.  It is such a crazy time.  I'll be back in the game next year with my youngest...   :eek:  At least it will be for the last time.  Hmmm.  Don't know if that makes me happy or sad.

• Like 6

Kind of a thread hijack, but does anyone have any experience with the honors programs at either Susquehanna or Allegheny? DD has been invited to both. Allegheny is one of her top choices already, but their program is only in its third year, I believe, so there's not a lot of information out there. Neither seem like they are super robust, but a benefit is a benefit even if small. Just wondering if anyone had dc in either of the programs.

Kind of a thread hijack, but does anyone have any experience with the honors programs at either Susquehanna or Allegheny? DD has been invited to both. Allegheny is one of her top choices already, but their program is only in its third year, I believe, so there's not a lot of information out there. Neither seem like they are super robust, but a benefit is a benefit even if small. Just wondering if anyone had dc in either of the programs.

Ok, we have decided to go ahead and email the college my son is still waiting on.  He knows he turned the application in late, past the deadline for EA (Nov. 1st) but with 3 people now saying they turned theirs in late (mid Nov, which is the same time he turned his in) and they have all said they heard by Mid December......we are going ahead with asking.

It *could* be that he is undeclared......but we will see.

• Like 4

I know of one family where the father helped their children to apply to ONE college, Calvin College, his alma mater,  and then told them that they were free to apply to other colleges on their own.  But neither one applied anywhere else so they both ended up at Calvin. What a way to get your children to go to the school of the parent's choice!

Dd has received acceptances from University of Maryland and University of Maryland at Baltimore County (safety); waiting to hear from Pomona College (reach) and Bryn Mawr College in March.

Edited by kiso1
  • Like 15

Second acceptance arrived this week for DS: Norwich Univeristy with a Presidential Scholarship. Just a couple left to to wait for, unlike DD he applied to only a handful of schools so I can't decide if the wait is worse or easier...

My ds was also accepted to Norwich. Is yours looking at civilian or cadets? Mine civilian.

• Like 5

My son is interested in the cadets program. I don't know if he'll end up there but he was pleased to be accepted. Congratulations to your son!

Yours too! The scholarship and their very generous aid makes it our least expensive option so far, but I worry about him needing to keep the gpa so I’m not pushing for him to go there.

It was his first offer in though which was exciting :)

Second acceptance arrived this week for DS: Norwich Univeristy with a Presidential Scholarship.  Just a couple left to to wait for, unlike DD he applied to only a handful of schools so I can't decide if the wait is worse or easier...

The school my oldest decided to attend was also one of the last to notify him of acceptance.  Then we had a few weeks wait while he requested a transfer of his NROTC scholarship.  

I thought he had pretty much a done deal with a scholarship to what was his first choice school before Christmas.  Instead, we were into April before everything was settled.

The wait is always agonizing.

• Like 2