Menu

After eating the real thing, imitation tastes terrible

Do you think home-grown and natural is better than store-bought?

I switched to real maple syrup a few years ago from the imitation stuff most grocery stores sell. My dh didn't like it, which I can't understand because he is from the country and is always telling me I haven't had "the real thing" about most food. He's always praising "fresh meat" rather than store-bought, fruits and vegs you raise yourself and so on.

Well, the already outrageous price of the real maple syrup has now jumped from $16 for 48 oz. to $18 for 32 oz.- and that's even at wholesale clubs, Trader Joe's and Amazon. So, I tried some of dh's regular grocery store stuff and I just can't get used to the taste. I think I'm going to have to go tap a tree myself.

Makes me wonder if I really am missing something not having "the real thing" when it comes to growing your own stuff( fruit, veg, herbs, etc.) I don't think I could do the meat though.

Edited by Blessedfamily

Yes, real food tastes better than canned, processed, chemical-laden fake food. No doubt. I have gotten to the point where I can hardly even eat sugar (even pure, unrefined cane sugar) because it's so sickly sweet. I made brownies for the kids' Halloween party last week, I cut the sugar by 2/3, and I still found them too sweet.

Local produce tastes much better than the stuff that was trucked across the country to your grocery.

If you can't grow your own veggies, I'd suggest looking into joining a CSA, a community-supported agriculture farm. You pay for a share up front and get organic veggies every week during the growing season.

Tara

Well, the already outrageous price of the real maple syrup has now jumped from $16 for 48 oz. to $18 for 32 oz.- and that's even at wholesale clubs, Trader Joe's and Amazon. So, I tried some of dh's regular grocery store stuff and I just can't get used to the taste. I think I'm going to have to go tap a tree myself.

If I can't have real maple syrup I don't have syrup. Neither do my kids. By the way, we don't call the pancake syrup the stores sell "maple syrup" -- it' pancake syrup. I won't even grace it with the name.

Corn syrup makes me sick. Literally. It also makes my younger dd feel ill. So it's the real thing or nothing here.

I notice it with some foods more than others. For instance, locally grown tomatoes are a completely different experience than tomatoes brought in from other areas. Same with strawberries. Carrots? I can taste the difference, but it's not as great. Same with potatoes.

I am with you on the maple syrup though. If I can't have the real thing, I prefer to spread jam on my pancakes instead.

If I can't have real maple syrup I don't have syrup. Neither do my kids. By the way, we don't call the pancake syrup the stores sell "maple syrup" -- it' pancake syrup. I won't even grace it with the name.

Corn syrup makes me sick. Literally. It also makes my younger dd feel ill. So it's the real thing or nothing here.

My kids call it fake syrup.

Do you think home-grown and natural is better than store-bought?

I switched to real maple syrup a few years ago from the imitation stuff most grocery stores sell. My dh didn't like it, which I can't understand because he is from the country and is always telling me I haven't had "the real thing" about most food. He's always praising "fresh meat" rather than store-bought, fruits and vegs you raise yourself and so on.

Makes me wonder if I really am missing something not having "the real thing" when it comes to growing your own stuff( fruit, veg, herbs, etc.) I don't think I could do the meat though.

Syrup is different from fruit....pure maple syrup is just that: pure maple syrup. Pancake syrups often don't even contain maple syrup at all, so you really can't compare the two. They simply are not the same product.

Fruit, on the other hand, is fruit, and depending where you buy it and how the local growing conditions were/are, the quality of store-bought to homegrown can be better, worse, or the same. The basil I buy at Wegmans out-of-season is identical to the basil I grow in my herb garden during the summer.

As far as the syrup goes, I grew up eating only pure maple syrup. I cannot tolerate regular pancake syrup because, well, it isn't maple syrup, lol. One year I made my own fruit syrups (yummy!), but I didn't do it this year and now I see that the fruit syrups are almost as expensive as the maple syrup. Ack.

We've taken to heating homemade jam and using that instead of syrup.

Ria

You can "extend" maple syrup with brown sugar. It is better than the imitation stuff. Put the syrup on the stove and add brown sugar, serve hot. I think I remember my mother using the last of the dribs in the pot by heating milk in it and having it instead of cocoa.

Yes. When dh uses the grocery store syrup I call it "sugar water". I tried it again today and that's it. It won't work for me or the kids.

We buy organic vegs from the grocery store which buys locally. I guess it would be cheaper to grow my own, but I don't have a green thumb and am skittish about digging in the dirt and critters.

I think tomatoes should be easy because my next door neighbor grows them in a very large pot. DH tried it this year and got 1 deformed tomato. My neighbor just laughed from his porch when dh went to pick it. How ironic! We're the ones who gave them their plant. We were given three tomato plants, gave them two and kept one. Theirs grew like the garden of eden and ours.....well I already told you what ours did.

Now the meat thing! We spend a fortune on organic meat. Dh wants us to buy a cow "back home" and his uncle will keep it with his and have it slaughtered. I'm not a vegetarian, but I just can't stand the thought of that. I know all meat comes that way, but I'm just not comfortable with it. Plus, I'm not sure about the taste.

I wish I could find a co-op.

I agree with others -- comparing fake syrup to maple syrup is not like comparing home grown to farmed fruits, etc. Grocery store pancake syrup (at best called "maple-flavored", which is a total lie, lol) simply isn't the same *thing* as maple syrup. It's like comparing butter and margarine. Or aged cheddar cheese and velveeta ("pasteurized processed imitation cheese food")... They simply aren't the same *things*.

That's not the same as apples from the store vs apples you pick off a tree. They're both still *apples*. :) Granted, you can make arguments based on freshness, pesticide residue, soil quality, etc, but it's still not the same as comparing a *fake* to something *real*.

Now absolutely I favor *real* foods closer to their natural state over more processed imitations. And tomatoes fresh from someone's garden generally are an awful lot better than anything that's been picked a few days earlier and trucked in (organic or otherwise)... But when you're comparing two foods in their natural state, you'll find a lot less difference than when comparing a manufactured food (corn syrup pancake syrup) and a food that's close to its natural state (maple sap that has simply been boiled down).

I switched to real maple syrup a few years ago from the imitation stuff most grocery stores sell. My dh didn't like it, which I can't understand because he is from the country and is always telling me I haven't had "the real thing" about most food.

My dh had the same reaction to real maple syrup. He went straight to the grocery store and came home with the largest size Aunt Jemima they had. Since dh is the pancake chef in our house, it's his call! But, I truly don't get it :confused:.

I agree with others -- comparing fake syrup to maple syrup is not like comparing home grown to farmed fruits, etc. Grocery store pancake syrup (at best called "maple-flavored", which is a total lie, lol) simply isn't the same *thing* as maple syrup. It's like comparing butter and margarine. Or aged cheddar cheese and velveeta ("pasteurized processed imitation cheese food")... They simply aren't the same *things*.

That's not the same as apples from the store vs apples you pick off a tree. They're both still *apples*. :) Granted, you can make arguments based on freshness, pesticide residue, soil quality, etc, but it's still not the same as comparing a *fake* to something *real*.

Now absolutely I favor *real* foods closer to their natural state over more processed imitations. And tomatoes fresh from someone's garden generally are an awful lot better than anything that's been picked a few days earlier and trucked in (organic or otherwise)... But when you're comparing two foods in their natural state, you'll find a lot less difference than when comparing a manufactured food (corn syrup pancake syrup) and a food that's close to its natural state (maple sap that has simply been boiled down).

Sure, I know real syrup vs. "sugar water" is not the same thing as "home-grown" vs "store-bought" vegs. My question iwas to both issues-

1. (Natural) a real thing versus imitaion( especially syrup and butter)

2. (Homegrown) taste of home-grown vs store-bought of the same item (here pesticides are a MAJOR concern for me, but you can buy organic at the store)

My BIL will not eat mashed potatoes from a box. They have to be freshly cut and peeled. My mom was not a fan of cooking so I'm used to them from a box. (Though I don't eat potatoes often)

As for two foods in their natural state, Dh's folks back home say store vegs just don't taste as fresh. I'm not sure if that's true because I've always eaten store-bought.

Edited by Blessedfamily

By the way, we don't call the pancake syrup the stores sell "maple syrup" -- it' pancake syrup. I won't even grace it with the name.

We just call it "syrup." It never ocurred to me to call it "maple syrup," or "pancake syrup." It's just "syrup."

We use maple syrup on hot cereals. Yummo!

A friend was talking about making maple syrup. I just looked at her, 'cuz we live in Central Texas where there are no maple trees to speak of. I asked her how she did that and she said she boils sugar and water together and adds maple flavoring. She did not understand when I explained to her that she was not making maple syrup. Oh well.

I definitely know what you mean about the syrup. When the price went up I grabbed a couple bottles of Mrs. Butterworth thinking the kids would be happy since they weren't thrilled when we switched to the real thing a few years ago. Boy howdy was I wrong! The stuff was disgusting! The kids wouldn't eat their breakfast.

I think you might be surprised with the meat. My friend and I bought a 1/4 cow together and split the meat. I love it! The ground beef was FAR better! It was organic meat which does have a different flavor but I attribute that to the fact that it was less fatty. And it's not like you see all this gorry butchered cow. You tell them what cuts you like and it comes wrapped and frozen, ready for the freezer.

I was pretty squeamish about it at first but now it's all good and we plan to do it again!

We just call it "syrup." It never ocurred to me to call it "maple syrup," or "pancake syrup." It's just "syrup."

We use maple syrup on hot cereals. Yummo!

A friend was talking about making maple syrup. I just looked at her, 'cuz we live in Central Texas where there are no maple trees to speak of. I asked her how she did that and she said she boils sugar and water together and adds maple flavoring. She did not understand when I explained to her that she was not making maple syrup. Oh well.

I grew up having this on waffles - yummmm, i actually don't LIKE waffles any other way. The way it absorbs in and mixes with the butter.... a slice of childhood nirvana! LOL!!!

I'm not a syrup snob though - all of it does nasty things to my blood sugar and it's just not eaten much around here.

I definitely know what you mean about the syrup. When the price went up I grabbed a couple bottles of Mrs. Butterworth thinking the kids would be happy since they weren't thrilled when we switched to the real thing a few years ago. Boy howdy was I wrong! The stuff was disgusting! The kids wouldn't eat their breakfast.

I think you might be surprised with the meat. My friend and I bought a 1/4 cow together and split the meat. I love it! The ground beef was FAR better! It was organic meat which does have a different flavor but I attribute that to the fact that it was less fatty. And it's not like you see all this gorry butchered cow. You tell them what cuts you like and it comes wrapped and frozen, ready for the freezer.

I was pretty squeamish about it at first but now it's all good and we plan to do it again!

I guess if I never went to the uncle's and saw the cow it might be o.k. SOme farms sell natural meat here, but they're out in the western/rural part of the state. I'm looking into it now.

I grew up having this on waffles - yummmm, i actually don't LIKE waffles any other way. The way it absorbs in and mixes with the butter.... a slice of childhood nirvana! LOL!!!

I'm not a syrup snob though - all of it does nasty things to my blood sugar and it's just not eaten much around here.

The biggest difference I noticed about real maple syrup is the way it soaks into waffles. Imitation sits on top and takes much longer to absorb. They always advertise how thick it is, but all the real syrup I've had has been thin and delicious. Maybe the grade makes a difference?

I didnt care for the maple syrup when i first switched a year ago.

I did it because I wanted to remove cut out corn syrup.

Now I cringe at the sight of the fake stuff.

The price of maple syrup in the store is painful.

I've seen a few really good deals on amazon, otherwise I look for amish or menonite farmers.

Now the meat thing! We spend a fortune on organic meat. Dh wants us to buy a cow "back home" and his uncle will keep it with his and have it slaughtered. I'm not a vegetarian, but I just can't stand the thought of that. I know all meat comes that way, but I'm just not comfortable with it. Plus, I'm not sure about the taste.

I wish I could find a co-op.

I think you would be pleasantly surprised if you went along with your DH on this issue. The taste shouldn't be an issue. I think you will find it tastes better. (Though I am not a good judge on that necessarily, as I don't particularly care for the taste of meat, but I do enjoy local grass-fed beef.) And you won't have to be involved in the slaughter, so don't let that bother you. (Remember that this cow will live a happier life, and can be slaughtered much more humanely than conventional beef. And as organic becomes more trendy, larger companies are trying to find shortcuts to make more money while still being certified "organic.")

As for maple syrup, I'm such a maple syrup snob that I barely consider it real maple syrup unless it's from Maine. :tongue_smilie:

We use only the real thing. My dc have learned to either be very sparing (spooning it on so that none drips over) or to let me put it on. Then, when the price doubled (someone's post here, who makes their own, said they didn't have a good year this past year, and that may explain the jump in price) we've done more. I've started making pumpkin butter with maple syrup, which my dd's love. They put the pumpkin butter on their pancakes now, and then for a treat have a couple with pure maple syrup from time to time.

I find this true in general. I made homemade candy this year since my dc react to the junk in most candy (and now some candy makers are using synthetic cocoa!!!!). The stuff that worked was far better than the store bought candy--even the expensive stuff.

I think you would be pleasantly surprised if you went along with your DH on this issue. The taste shouldn't be an issue. I think you will find it tastes better. (Though I am not a good judge on that necessarily, as I don't particularly care for the taste of meat, but I do enjoy local grass-fed beef.) And you won't have to be involved in the slaughter, so don't let that bother you. (Remember that this cow will live a happier life, and can be slaughtered much more humanely than conventional beef. And as organic becomes more trendy, larger companies are trying to find shortcuts to make more money while still being certified "organic.")

As for maple syrup, I'm such a maple syrup snob that I barely consider it real maple syrup unless it's from Maine. :tongue_smilie:

He said we could split it with people because you get so much meat and we don't eat beef often. What I could really use is a good source for chicken that hasn't been given antibiotics possibly organic. That would be a real help!

We use only the real thing. My dc have learned to either be very sparing (spooning it on so that none drips over) or to let me put it on. Then, when the price doubled (someone's post here, who makes their own, said they didn't have a good year this past year, and that may explain the jump in price) we've done more..

I used to cut my dd's french toast up and let her dip it from a little bowl, which she loved. Now, that is out! Not at $18! :001_smile:

Sugar maple trees produce a sap with higher sugar content and therefore more maple syrup per litre of sap. We don't have any sugar maples on our property. We use red maples. They have a lower sugar content than the sugar maples but they make a lovely tasting maple syrup.

I believe all maples can be made into syrup, but again the sugar content varies and you need a lot more sap to produce a small amount of maple syrup.

This will be our third year. My son talks about it all year long. He helps tap the trees and goes out with me to collect the sap each day. He also has a maple syrup journal where he records the date, temperature, weather and the amount of sap we collected each day. It was great last year to be able to look back to the previous year and compare information.

Karin, I'd love your recipe for pumpkin butter! I have about four bowls of steamed pumpkin on my counter right this minute!

Sugar maple trees produce a sap with higher sugar content and therefore more maple syrup per litre of sap. We don't have any sugar maples on our property. We use red maples. They have a lower sugar content than the sugar maples but they make a lovely tasting maple syrup.

I believe all maples can be made into syrup, but again the sugar content varies and you need a lot more sap to produce a small amount of maple syrup.

This will be our third year. My son talks about it all year long. He helps tap the trees and goes out with me to collect the sap each day. He also has a maple syrup journal where he records the date, temperature, weather and the amount of sap we collected each day. It was great last year to be able to look back to the previous year and compare information.

Karin, I'd love your recipe for pumpkin butter! I have about four bowls of steamed pumpkin on my counter right this minute!

That.is.absolutely.cool. What a great thing to be able to do on your own property.

My dh had the same reaction to real maple syrup. He went straight to the grocery store and came home with the largest size Aunt Jemima they had. Since dh is the pancake chef in our house, it's his call! But, I truly don't get it :confused:.

I do! Real maple syrup makes me shudder! Give me Aunt Jemima any day! (But I love fresh produce from our own garden.)

Tell me more!

Tell me more!

Is there something in particular you would like to know more about :)

Here are some photos from maple time

tapping in

th_tapping2.jpg

It's a family affair :)

th_maple.jpg

The sap is running!

th_maple2.jpg

Trip to a sugar woods for sugar on snow -YUMMMM!

th_sugar.jpg

My helpers during morning collection :)

th_sugar2.jpg

:svengo: Sacrilege! Heresy!

You knoooow when I logged on this morning and saw someone from VT posted on my maple syrup thread I got excited. And I agree with you. Maple syrup comes from Vermont. Oranges come from Florida. Crabcakes, I don't care what anyone from Maryland says, come from Hampton Roads, Virginia.:001_tt2:

Edited by Blessedfamily

The price of maple syrup is just terrible now. But as all imitation pancake syrups are made from high fructose corn syrup, I'll find the money to buy it.

My conclusion exactly. We'll just have to bite the bullet. (And don't forget there's sodium benzoate in most of the imitation stuff too.)

Orange come from CA - they taste better! (DD says the same about strawberries - she won't eat FL grown ones). :P

Well, I never....! :glare: Not in my juice glass!

ETA- Wait just a minute! I just noticed.... Tracey from Florida??????? Don't they have treason laws? YOu must have just moved there! ;)

Edited by Blessedfamily

Crabcakes, I don't care what anyone from Maryland says, come from Hampton Roads, Virginia.:001_tt2:

'cuse me dear, but you need to be put right. Pamlico Sound (NC) blue crab is an essential ingredient in crab cakes.

Maybe a group of us should get together for a WTM cookoff?? ;)

Jane (who also votes for real maple syrup)

'cuse me dear, but you need to be put right. Pamlico Sound (NC) blue crab is an essential ingredient in crab cakes.

Maybe a group of us should get together for a WTM cookoff?? ;)

Jane (who also votes for real maple syrup)

I was expecting something like this from Md, but NC? :blink: That is a sneak attack- and from the south no less! ANd even if we use your crabs(which I doubt is necessary), we can still make a better crabcake with it. :glare:

You knoooow when I logged on this morning and saw someone from VT posted on my maple syrup thread I got excited. And I agree with you. Maple syrup comes from Vermont. Oranges come from Florida. Crabcakes, I don't care what anyone from Maryland says, come from Hampton Roads, Virginia.:001_tt2:

Fwiw, 85% of the world's maple syrup comes from Canada:). And the bulk of that comes from Quebec. That has to do, in part with climate conditions being right to facilitate a ready flow of the sap during sugaring off season.

This has been changed from the original, which called for honey or agave nectar. Since dd is on a rotary diet & pumpkin is on buckwheat day, I put maple syrup (a single food family) on the same day.

2 cups pureed pumkin (or canned--I've used frozen from the garden, but not canned)

1/3 cup maple syrup

1/4 cup water (I have omitted this with our Cinderella pumpkins, but won't with the store bought pie pumpkins due to different moisture content)

ginger

cloves (optional & I use nutmeg)

nutmeg (you get the idea--pumpkin pie type spices, but allspice is not suggested)

Bring to a boil (simmer--there should be bubbles) over low heat. Cook 1 hour or until thick, stirring often.

If you'd like more details, I can haul up my cookbook as I modified this from a book by Marjorie Hurt.

This has been changed from the original, which called for honey or agave nectar. Since dd is on a rotary diet & pumpkin is on buckwheat day, I put maple syrup (a single food family) on the same day.

2 cups pureed pumkin (or canned--I've used frozen from the garden, but not canned)

1/3 cup maple syrup

1/4 cup water (I have omitted this with our Cinderella pumpkins, but won't with the store bought pie pumpkins due to different moisture content)

ginger

cloves (optional & I use nutmeg instead)

nutmeg (you get the idea--pumpkin pie type spices, but allspice is not suggested)

Bring to a boil (simmer--there should be bubbles) over low heat. Cook 1 hour or until thick, stirring often.

If you'd like more details, I can haul up my cookbook as I modified this from a book by Marjorie Hurt.

...but to save money on Maple syrup, buy Vermont grade B--it is stronger flavored than grades A fancy and A, and in blind tests most people like it best--but it's cheaper because it is darker in color!

See if you can find it in gallon or half gallon jugs. You can put them right into your freezer--the syrup just gets a little more viscous but does not freeze solid. Frozen syrup is GREAT on vanilla ice cream. Heated up syrup is pretty darn good as well.

You know, I don't like EVERYTHING better homegrown--here's my list:

Tomatoes

Oranges

Apples

Cilantro

Mint

Basil

Rosemary

Tarragon

Apricots

Butter lettuce

I was expecting something like this from Md, but NC? :blink: That is a sneak attack- and from the south no less! ANd even if we use your crabs(which I doubt is necessary), we can still make a better crabcake with it. :glare:

Fighting words, missy! This may be the start of the crab wars with the SC crowd bringing up pots of she crab soup and soft shell crab sandwiches.

Crab fest with Blessedfamily! (Now that would be a blessing, wouldn't it? ;))

I believe you can also tap trees other than maples and boil down the syrup, but can't remember what they are. Maple, especially sugar maple, is the best, though, so that's what everyone uses. The others taste different. Or so I've heard -- I've never tried this.

Also, insofar as homegrown tomatoes tasting better and/or various other fruits and veggies tasting better grown one place or another (commercial vs. home), much has to do with the cultivars grown. Some are bred for taste, some for ease of shipping, some for length of growing season, etc. etc.

Also, for crabcakes I'm simply voting no-place-around-here. Gack, you wouldn't believe what passes for crabcakes in the midwest.

I believe you can also tap trees other than maples and boil down the syrup, but can't remember what they are. Maple, especially sugar maple, is the best, though, so that's what everyone uses. The others taste different. Or so I've heard -- I've never tried this.

Also, insofar as homegrown tomatoes tasting better and/or various other fruits and veggies tasting better grown one place or another (commercial vs. home), much has to do with the cultivars grown. Some are bred for taste, some for ease of shipping, some for length of growing season, etc. etc.

Also, for crabcakes I'm simply voting no-place-around-here. Gack, you wouldn't believe what passes for crabcakes in the midwest.

LoL...I'm not eating any of that monkey meat either... But I will go out on a short limb and say the crab cakes we ate in Baltimore were to die for. Never had the pleasure of the others. Except of course for here...and those are not worth mentioning.

We do participte in a yearly maple syrup tree tapping festival each year. Next spring I'm bringing gallon jugs. With the price of syrup what it is...we'll take what we can get.:cheers2: