Menu

My turn :) Help me with baby girl names that fit a virtues theme

rose

My oldest dd is named Grace and my middle dd is named Sophia.

Despite their supposed popularity, I think we've met one other Grace ever. Most little girls I see now are actually XYZ-Grace, but not a true "Grace" by itself. 

The year my Sophia was born it was the #5 most popular name that year. We know one other Sophie but that's it. And have met a handful of Sophia's over the years. I honestly think the popularity thing is 1) location dependent and 2) considering how many babies are born every year in the US and how many different names are chosen, being number 5 on the list might actually only result in a couple thousand kids actually being named that.

My vote is for Sophia since you really seemed to like it. I love it as well and it's the perfect name for our Sophia. Fits her to a T.

You could call Simplicity Liz or Lizzy for short. I do like Aletheia but I don't even remember how you spelled it and I just read it a couple of hours ago, so, if that's a concern, maybe that's not the best name. 

In the Anna Hibiscus series, she's got cousins named Clarity (could call her Claire or Clare for short), Joy (I don't think that's too close to Joel either), Common Sense, and Sociable (though Sociable is a boy... the others are girls, but realistically, I don't think anybody here would think Sociable must be a boys name). I kind of like Common Sense, though it is kind of out there...

ETA: I think Amity is very Divergent (like the book/movie series).

Edited by luuknam

I was once in a competition with a Liberty. She was supposedly a triplet with sisters Equality and Fraternity.

For a while on our block we had a Precious, a Princess, and an Empress. But I don't know if they were all the same family. I sure never asked!

Did I answer already?  I can't remember.  :P

I like Honor and Serene.  

I like Dagny, too, but that's just a holdover from when I had my last couple of babies but watched them come out boy.  It's not a virtue, nothing to help you here.  Maybe I'll name my next cat Dagny.  

• Like 1

Did I answer already? I can't remember. :P

I like Honor and Serene.

I like Dagny, too, but that's just a holdover from when I had my last couple of babies but watched them come out boy. It's not a virtue, nothing to help you here. Maybe I'll name my next cat Dagny.

If my father had gotten his way, I would have been a Dagny. I rarely encounter others who wanted/have used it.

I've gone through all the online lists that I can find but really I think that we'll probably settle with a less than normal virtue name, or maybe a foreign translation of a virtue.

So what names can you think of? Give me all your weird and wonderful virtues. They don't even have to be official names. All will be considered.

My favorite virtue names are Comfort and Gentle.

But I feel an overwhelming urge to give Agnes a name-buddy (foreign translation)  :blush:. My favorites in that way are the "light" names: Elena, Helen, Helena, Lucy, Lucia (I like the Loo-sha pronounciation), or Justine/Justina (will DH prefer a more feminine attempt at Justice?)

If you like Joy, what about Jubilee? Also: Felicity/Felicia, Bliss. 

Since you like Simplicity, try: Sincerity, Clarity, Tranquility

Because you're open to Temperance, consider: Harmony, Journey, Truth, Blessing, Desiree - desires [the Lord].

Exotic but less so than Alatheia, are: Alete, Evangeline, Celeste [heavenly], Petra [rock], Beata [blessed].

Beata is very Eastern European! We say Bay-AH-ta, but it's also commonly Americanized to Bee-AH-ta. 

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

Justice could be nicknamed Justy.  

Joy isn't too close to Joel.

Honor is my favorite.

Mercy and Love are unconventional options.

Eden is a name I'd choose myself if I didn't already have two family friends named Eden.

If my father had gotten his way, I would have been a Dagny. I rarely encounter others who wanted/have used it.

Usually when I tell people I love the name, I get the blank stare -- like, "I don't know what to say to that."   ;)  I don't know -- I really like it for some reason.  (So did my husband and ALL our kids, too.) I think the selling point was on a baby-naming board when someone posted, "I knew a Dagny in school and she so sweet but spunky too" (or something like that lol).  

Sorry for the side convo, OP!

Edited by milovany