Menu

Rant about HSLDA (JAWM)

Mimm

In my area, HSLDA is treated like this all knowing entity you'd be an idiot to homeschool without. If someone in the local homeschool Facebook groups asks a question and gets ten answers, 8 of them will mention signing up with HSLDA. And you better not give any advice that contradicts what HSLDA says, even on matters that aren't directly related to complying with the law. Homeschoolers around here seem to have a very adversarial attitude toward the public school as a result. My interactions with my local public schools (junior high and high school) have been nothing but pleasant. They are helpful and friendly, and don't seem to have a low opinion of homeschoolers in the least. I'm not saying that's everyone's experience but it has been mine, and the attitude among homeschoolers in my area seems to be that you are better off assuming that the PS is out to get you. I can only imagine these women walking into their local PS with a giant chip on their shoulder and then being shocked that their interactions with school employees aren't all roses and sunshine.

Michael Farris sent me a fund raising letter the other day for a different organization which is all about "protecting our religious freedom" which seems to be code these days for "keeping the gays in their place." I don't know how he got my address, but I'm annoyed at the thought that some homeschool curriculum company that I've ordered from in the past must have shared it with him so I could get a letter all about how Christians (of which I am one) are in danger of being "second class citizens." I'm just furious that apparently the only way to keep that from happening is to make sure someone else (like, say, LGBT people) are the second class citizens instead. This guy's a real peach. I wonder if he'd represent me and my bi daughter. I'm thinking not.

• Like 34

Homeschoolers do this strange thing where they think every other homeschooler is just like them. I see it here all the time. Yes, I homeschool, no I'm not interested in discounted Creation Museum tickets.

• Like 24

I'm "retired," but I ran into the same over and over here.

In fourteen years of submitting paperwork to the county, I had nothing but positive experiences. If I left something out, they'd call to remind me and give me several weeks to get it in. One year I was going to be late with test scores, and I just called. They gave me another 30 days and said to call if I needed more time. If I called or emailed with questions, they were nothing but civil.

I never worried about playing in the yard, going to the park, or running errands with them during the day. I was legally homeschooling and had a right to do that.

• Like 7

I'm a member of a FB group that constantly recommends HSLDA to new members. I have stated on every post that I am not a member, have never needed it in 11 years, and there are other options. I get called out every time as a rabble rouser (how would you spell that?). Locally, it depends on the group whether it's assumed you're a member. I have joined a Christian co-op for the first time for my teen & pre-teen to do robotics; it is assumed you are a member. In my past open-to-everyone co-op, we had only a couple who were members.

I get touchy when people say they represent all homeschoolers since they don't even come close to representing me or many others.

• Like 7

As a new homeschooler, I joined our state homeschooling organization because I knew nothing about anything and it was helpful to have a source to go to for credible information. I bailed a couple of years later when I received an email that included a promotion for a book by the Pearls. I sent an outraged email telling the organization to never contact me again.

• Like 4

Ok, you have all set me straight.  There only use is the panicked yahoo group message that gets posted when a member receives something coming up for a vote.  Which will then prompt me to research whatever piece of sky is falling and if I actually need to make a phone call or if I can roll my eyes and move on with my day.

Either way, I would never recommend them to anyone due to the political aspect we are not talking about.

• Like 5

Ok, you have all set me straight.  There only use is the panicked yahoo group message that gets posted when a member receives something coming up for a vote.  Which will then prompt me to research whatever piece of sky is falling and if I actually need to make a phone call or if I can roll my eyes and move on with my day.

Either way, I would never recommend them to anyone due to the political aspect we are not talking about.

I have a homeschool acquaintance who forwards all of those "sky is falling" emails.  :cursing:

My parents didn't join them when they homeschooled me, no way would I join them now.  I find them to lack a certain amount of integrity.  They used to say they'd only stay in business until homeschooling was legal in all 50 states.  Well, it is.  It has been for a long time.  And, yet, they are still taking people's money, breeding fear, and making people think that everyone is out to get them just because they homeschool.  They won't even represent some of the people who pay them money every year or get involved in a lot of the "homeschooling" issues their members have.  They killed some really great legislation back when I lived in VA years ago.  Both the VA Homeschoolers and HEAV liked the bill (and that's saying something), but HSLDA didn't like it for some reason and killed it.  Even if I had been a fan of HSLDA before that, I don't think I would've been after.

• Like 7

When I first started homeschooling, I felt like there was almost a cult-like devotion to HSLDA among local homeschoolers.  I would try to talk about curriculum, I'd be asked if I'd joined HSLDA.  I'd ask whether the statewide homeschooling convention was any good, I'd be asked if I'd joined HSLDA.  I'd ask about organized field trips and science clubs, I'd be asked if I'd joined HSLDA.  It was creepy.

Aside from the political stuff, which was a huge turn-off to me, there was the fact that your annual membership does not guarantee that they will help you if you ever need it.  That and their animosity towards the public school system really bothered me.  I did not choose to homeschool because I despise the whole concept of public schools - I think public schools are wonderful, they just weren't what my daughter needed.  Lastly, I didn't know this as an inexperienced newbie, but the truth is that my state has no interest in keeping an eye on homeschoolers at all.  They are too busy with other things.  So it just isn't necessary.  I never joined, and now we're heading into our last year of homeschooling, and I am very happy with that decision.

• Like 7

Well, I must live under a rock, because I've been at this for almost 10 years and have never heard HSLDA mentioned . . . ever. We've always belonged to a secular homeschooling group, but I feel like I know a lot of religious homeschoolers. I sort of figured that HSLDA had died out or was on their way to dying out. 

Homeschooling is legal everywhere. What's their purpose at this point?

• Like 3

I responded up thread, but now I can't stop thinking about my one and only HSLDA encounter IRL.

We had just moved into our current home, and I'd frequently waved at a mom and DD who walked every morning. Eventually they brought the dad over, and we sat down and chatted on our porch. Once they found out we homeschool, they immediately asked if we are HSLDA members, and said we MUST join. They started listing threats to our right to HS, and I started feeling panicky about our new district. I had to stop and ask if they had ever had problems. The wife said, "No." The husband felt sure it was because they were HSLDA members. It felt like a sales pitch. :( Needless to say, I did not join. I am confident that our state homeschool organization will help with fighting for legislation, keep me alerted to any pertinent news, and be inclusive of our non-conforming, fluid family. No agenda other than HS, for all who want to do it. the idea of paying for a sort of legal insurance policy when HS is legal and supported by local schools here... that feels like a racket. Like paying for "protection."

That family lives within walking distance of us. I think they are mostly kind, well-meaning people and I would dearly love to have a local homeschool family. But aside from waving and niceties, we are just not on the same page. Every conversation we've had in person goes back to HSLDA and obscure threats to HS that are far, far from impacting us.

• Like 2

I have never been aligned with them politically, and their tactics are unethical in my book, so we have not used them at all. As a matter of fact, the majority of the homeschoolers I know have not joined. Some because they again don't embrace the ideology, many others have cited the cost as taking away from their curriculum budget. Either way, they aren't popular around here at this time.

One thing that made me very, very happy was when I converted to entirely secular curriculum. Once I stopped purchasing anything from religious companies, the constant selling of my name to other groups ended. I began getting pretty much everything on Amazon - often marketplace sellers so I could get used books -  ebay, and ABE, and apparently they do not sell their customer lists to others. I did have to spend a year "unsubscribing" to emails as they came in or putting them on the block list so they would go directly to junk mail, but the angst ended.

It has been pleasant to be out of the loop on all of their sky is falling and legalistic stuff that kept coming in email or snail mail. 

Edited by FaithManor
  • Like 9

Well, I must live under a rock, because I've been at this for almost 10 years and have never heard HSLDA mentioned . . . ever. We've always belonged to a secular homeschooling group, but I feel like I know a lot of religious homeschoolers. I sort of figured that HSLDA had died out or was on their way to dying out. 

They have a conservative, fundamentalist purpose that is very "dominionist" in nature...taking back the culture and the government with the "right" kind of christians. This is accomplished through homeschooling, fighting any hint of children's rights, claiming that evangelicals are persecuted in order to keep the money rolling in that any possible second homeschooling rights are going to be taken away, and "strengthening the family" which is code for "heterosexual and conservative christian only".

Because you belong to a secular group, you haven't heard them promoted because they do not secular homeschoolers to join, or members of other religious groups. They aren't for religious freedom. So really they only protect the rights of a very limited group of homeschoolers, and that group is dwindling as more and more people of other faiths, no faith, etc. homeschool.

All fifty states allow homeschooling. Vermont and North Dakota used to be a little sticky to deal with, but given that no one really hears of these issues now, it would seem that they've ironed out their problems. Michigan is the most restrictive on paper, but in reality easily number one or two for being easy peasy. The statute indicates that ONLY a religious exemption is allowed for the teacher certification/license...ie. one cannot homeschool for purely academic reasons, health, or anything else. Only religious exemptions and technically one is supposed to be a part of a religious group that actively preaches that parents should homeschool to strengthen their child's faith if they can or something along those lines. However, in practice NOBODY checks. We secularly homeschool and do not belong to any organization that teaches anything at all about homeschooling and faith. But, it is a 100% non issue. No registration, no reporting, no attendance taking, no minimum days, no standardized testing, just "cover these subjects", and even then there is no accountability for actually covering academic material. You can raise your kids as illiterate, feral cats here unable to count to ten by the time they are 18, and completely get away with it. I think that is because since the assumption is "religious reasons" due to what the law actually says, no one wants to be seen as persecuting religious groups.

• Like 7

Completely misrepresenting every single piece of educational legislation that comes along even though 99% of them have nothing to do with homeschooling in order to get people to send them more money out of fear. Oh, and pretending everyone who isn't a straight evangelical Christian is somehow a threat to humanity.

It's insulting how stupid they think homeschoolers are, as if none of us have the intelligence or reading comprehension skills to read proposed legislation for ourselves. Someone always seems to share their fear-mongering crap here when it gets sent out, and in every instance reading the bill in question makes it clear that HSLDA blatantly lies to its members in order to scare them.

Obviously, I am not a member.

• Like 18

Yeah they mostly write letters when there is an issue.  They point out the regs.  I could do the same thing.  I could contact the state dept of education as well for clarification on a reg.  None of that would cost me money.  Because, as was already pointed out, homeschooling is legal.

• Like 1

Yeah they mostly write letters when there is an issue.  They point out the regs.  I could do the same thing.  I could contact the state dept of education as well for clarification on a reg.  None of that would cost me money.  Because, as was already pointed out, homeschooling is legal.

:iagree:  I don't get it when I see people in hsing groups online who are like, "OMG the school district sent me a letter telling me to send in some form that isn't legally required... Thank God HSLDA sent them a letter and took care of it for me!!!"

What, you can't make a phone call to the school and sort it out on your own? :huh:

Though in fairness, I suppose HSLDA has terrorized them all to the point that they think if they so much as call the school CPS will be waiting outside their door before they hang up to take their children away and put the parents in jail. :glare:

• Like 12

Fear mongering is the right word. It is a political organization masking itself as homeschool advocacy, IMO.  If you are a member, they will only move on your behalf if their case involves what they see as religious persecution.  And only if that religion is conservative Christianity.

• Like 9

:iagree:  I don't get it when I see people in hsing groups online who are like, "OMG the school district sent me a letter telling me to send in some form that isn't legally required... Thank God HSLDA sent them a letter and took care of it for me!!!"

What, you can't make a phone call to the school and sort it out on your own? :huh:

Though in fairness, I suppose HSLDA has terrorized them all to the point that they think if they so much as call the school CPS will be waiting outside their door before they hang up to take their children away and put the parents in jail. :glare:

Or ignore the letter .  It's reallllllllly easy when the law is on your side anyway.   The way HSLDA whips up paranoia is shameful.

• Like 2

Completely misrepresenting every single piece of educational legislation that comes along even though 99% of them have nothing to do with homeschooling in order to get people to send them more money out of fear. Oh, and pretending everyone who isn't a straight evangelical Christian is somehow a threat to humanity.

It's insulting how stupid they think homeschoolers are, as if none of us have the intelligence or reading comprehension skills to read proposed legislation for ourselves. Someone always seems to share their fear-mongering crap here when it gets sent out, and in every instance reading the bill in question makes it clear that HSLDA blatantly lies to its members in order to scare them.

Obviously, I am not a member.

Why shouldn't they despise us, look at the confirmation...critics don't amount to a hill of beans compared to the fans. They know where their bread's buttered. And then there's Generation Joshua and the like, training the next generation in fear and dubious logic.

Obviously, I am not a member, either!

• Like 5

They are trying to become a thing here in Canada.  It hasn't caught on a lot, but they seem to have made some inroads with the evangelicals.

Like someone said above, the government people here have never been anything but lovely and helpful.  But the HSLDA is always tying to encourage people to trat them as adversarial and dangerous - because that is a great way to make sure things stay nice....

A few years ago there was a reassessment of the homeschool regs - it was just parents working together that made it come out well, nothing to do with the HSLDA.

• Like 1

Gee I must be in the minority. We have been members for about a year. Last March, a social worker told us that I needed to write a letter to the school district stating that we homeschool. I knew I didn't need to (New Jersey is a free will homeschool state), but because I was in the middle of my homestudy for fostering I called HSLDA to ask what I should do and make sure I was not mistaken about NJ law. They confirmed what I already knew and told me to send the letter. So I called up the school district, talked to someone who fits the stereotype of rude New Jersey people, and then drafted and sent the letter. 

I am thankful I had someone to turn to that told me that I was correct legally speaking. I also like the card saying that I am a homeschooler. In this state I have NO proof of homeschooling other then my invoices from Rainbow Resource (lol). So having something confirming that I am a homeschooler is nice. 

ETA I am a christian but not anti-gay. I have not seen anything talking about anything like that. Then again I don't really pay attention.

Edited by 3 ladybugs
  • Like 1

Gee I must be in the minority. We have been members for about a year. Last March, a social worker told us that I needed to write a letter to the school district stating that we homeschool. I knew I didn't need to (New Jersey is a free will homeschool state), but because I was in the middle of my homestudy for fostering I called HSLDA to ask what I should do and make sure I was not mistaken about NJ law. They confirmed what I already knew and told me to send the letter. So I called up the school district, talked to someone who fits the stereotype of rude New Jersey people, and then drafted and sent the letter.

I am thankful I had someone to turn to that told me that I was correct legally speaking. I also like the card saying that I am a homeschooler. In this state I have NO proof of homeschooling other then my invoices from Rainbow Resource (lol). So having something confirming that I am a homeschooler is nice.

ETA I am a christian but not anti-gay. I have not seen anything talking about anything like that. Then again I don't really pay attention.

On your ETA comment - paying attention would make a really, really, huge difference.

Also, fwiw, Hslda cannot credential you at all.

• Like 13

Why shouldn't they despise us, look at the confirmation...critics don't amount to a hill of beans compared to the fans. They know where their bread's buttered. And then there's Generation Joshua and the like, training the next generation in fear and dubious logic.

Obviously, I am not a member, either!

Do I even want to know what Generation Joshua is?

And all of you wonder why evangelical Christians are rarely represented on this board.  If I read a few of the recent threads I would assume evangelical Christians are the most hateful, stupidest people on the earth.  In real life I don't think you would find me so but I don't dare argue on here because I would get piled on in a very hateful manner.  I'm sure this post will get that response but I won't come back to check.

It's a discussion. If nobody presents the other side then that opinion isn't heard. I know some people have different tolerances for conflict, but having someone disagree with you doesn't mean they think you're hateful or stupid; it just means they disagree. That's it. If you have an opposing view, you need to have to courage of your convictions to present that view even if you're in the minority. Sometimes, it's ESPECIALLY important if you're in the minority. You may sway someone with your logic, you may agree to disagree, or you may see their side and change the way you view the issue. If you try thinking of it as a debate or a brain exercise, you might enjoy challenging conversations more. If you can't articulate why you believe something, it's worth examining that for your own sake.

• Like 12

And all of you wonder why evangelical Christians are rarely represented on this board. If I read a few of the recent threads I would assume evangelical Christians are the most hateful, stupidest people on the earth. In real life I don't think you would find me so but I don't dare argue on here because I would get piled on in a very hateful manner. I'm sure this post will get that response but I won't come back to check.

What?? Evangelicals are heavily represented here. And, if you take issue with anything anyone has said, argue away!!

• Like 15

I also like the card saying that I am a homeschooler. In this state I have NO proof of homeschooling other then my invoices from Rainbow Resource (lol). So having something confirming that I am a homeschooler is nice. 

What do you need that for?

Why is it important to you to have a piece of paper that says that you homeschool?

And what makes you believe a piece of paper from HSLDA is giving you more official standing than one you make yourself and print on your home computer?

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 10

Mims, a lot of the posters on this very thread are Christians!

I would like to know which, if any, of these accusations against Hslda you find to be vitriolic toward Christians. Specifically, in what way are any of the despised characteristics or aspects of hslda's standard operating procedures identifiable as Christian?

• Like 4

I'm starting my 8th year of homeschooling and I've never been a member of HSLDA, nor do I plan to join anytime soon. However, in their defense, I have seen some school districts in my state becoming more and more difficult. Some of the districts are becoming downright nasty and refuse to back off until they get a letter from an attorney. One woman I know who followed the law had her notice of intent to homeschool sent back to her and told her "application" to homeschool was denied because they wanted her to do something specifically against the law and then they threatened her with truancy. She made many phone calls, sent letters, and even went in to talk to them, but they didn't give up until called by an attorney at HSLDA. My own school district, which has always been at least cooperative with homeschoolers, sent out a letter this summer to all homeschoolers in the city asking for things not required by law (and what they ask for increases each year) and threatening "Juvenile Court" for any family who didn't turn in paperwork by some arbitrary date in mid August. My state doesn't have a deadline and they can't legally impose one, so threatening all homeschoolers with legal action seems a bit aggressive. I plan to do what I've always done the way I've always done it because I follow the law.

Hmmm...now I need to go check out HSLDA....I know nothing about them. It sounds a bit wonky town. Washington State homeschooling laws are perfectly reasonable and easy. I will say in my particular area public school is atrocious and I have never approached them with a chip on my shoulders (I actually worked at 2 of them in the past so I wouldn't dare) but it is pretty bad...I mean EPICALLY bad. However, a few cities over, there are some truly wonderful public schools. I would say that most of what is taught in our schools also clash with our values but isn't that why I am homeschooling? I mean, it isn't my place to tell other people how their kids should be educated nor do I want anyone telling me that. To each their own.

I do cringe inside when I read posts (not here) that say homeschooling by Christians should be banned as it is child abuse to keep kids "ignorant". That bugs me alot. Especially since my husband and I are extremely college educated. If there is a group willing to protect those rights I appreciate it as rights are a slippery slope and can and do change over time.

Edited by nixpix5

Anyone who thinks that HSLDA = Christians and that scorn for HSLDA's tactics and positions is the same as scorn for Christians is just as mistaken as anyone who thinks that HSLDA = homeschoolers. And *obviously* we're not heaping scorn on homeschoolers either.

• Like 19

And all of you wonder why evangelical Christians are rarely represented on this board. 

FWIW, I'm one of those rare ones - though admittedly never even looked into HSLDA when I started homeschooling.  I've always been a DIY type of gal and since I work in our school district at the high school, I knew I'd have no problems whatsoever.  I was correct.

I've still only seen HSLDA mentioned on this forum, but then again, we didn't do co-ops or other homeschooling groups either.  If a couple of my homeschooling IRL friends are/were members, they never mentioned it.

In my state I have more of a beef with PA Homeschoolers and how they like to promote themselves/pretend they are the only worthy organization for high school credit, but that got ended a couple of years ago by legislation  :hurray:  - right after my middle son started college.  :glare:

• Like 1

On your ETA comment - paying attention would make a really, really, huge difference.

Also, fwiw, Hslda cannot credential you at all.

There are a lot of things that paying attention would make a big difference. I choose to pay attention to other causes. We all pick what is the MOST important to us. 

Why is it important to you to have a piece of paper that says that you homeschool?

And what makes you believe a piece of paper from HSLDA is giving you more official standing than one you make yourself and print on your home computer?

No but people seem to look at you differently if you have a card that says that you homeschool vs just saying it. I live in a land of private live-in boarding schools so I do get looks every now and then. No I don't whip it out every time I get a look but it gives me the confidence to give them the disapproving look back. Not to mention it makes it easier to get teacher discounts. ;)

• Like 1

To save 10% at Michaels ;)

• Like 3

No but people seem to look at you differently if you have a card that says that you homeschool vs just saying it. I live in a land of private live-in boarding schools so I do get looks every now and then. No I don't whip it out every time I get a look but it gives me the confidence to give them the disapproving look back. Not to mention it makes it easier to get teacher discounts. ;)

What people? I have never gotten a look. Maybe I am just too dense to recognize it.

I understand about teacher discounts. But even so, a staff ID from your own named homeschool would serve just as well

• Like 8

What people? I have never gotten a look. Maybe I am just too dense to recognize it.

I understand about teacher discounts. But even so, a staff ID from your own named homeschool would serve just as well

You don't take your child(ren) into a store at 10 am and not get looks? Really? I get them ALL the time. To the point I have just got in the habit of telling check out ladies (and men) that I homeschool. They didn't care when my son was at that age where he may or may not be in school but now he is big. I get them ALL THE TIME. 

I am not one to notice either, unless it is everyone!

You don't take your child(ren) into a store at 10 am and not get looks? Really? I get them ALL the time. To the point I have just got in the habit of telling check out ladies (and men) that I homeschool. They didn't care when my son was at that age where he may or may not be in school but now he is big. I get them ALL THE TIME. 

Nope. Never got looks. (Or if I did, I didn't notice). Nobody ever said anything.

I think my preteen DS was asked once when he was out walking or biking by himself during the day, and he answered matter of fact that he was homeschooled and that this was his PE.

Is homeschooling extremely rare where you live?

• Like 2

And this is why I'm mystified. Most stories where people are glad they had HSLDA sound like this you could have just very easily dealt with on your own.

Quoted post deleted by moderator.

What?? Evangelicals are heavily represented here. And, if you take issue with anything anyone has said, argue away!!

When you are used to being in a majority in your own little world, it can be jarring to find yourself in a more diverse crowd.

• Like 11

We don't get looks either. I heard this from a number of people online when I was first getting ready to homeschool and was a bit braced for it but have never actually seen it happen. Perhaps because we live in an area with many different schools that all seem to have different schedules. But even when we've traveled - say, when we're at my mom's for a week, no looks.

• Like 3

In my area, homeschooling is so popular, I've never once gotten a negative reactions about it. Seriously. The most sort-of negative reaction is "Oh I could never do that because of these reasons." It's defensive, as if my choice to homeschool is an inherent judgement on other people's choices not to. But mostly people say, "Oh my sister/neighbor/friend/sunday school teacher does that. Seems like fun." Or maybe, "Ooh, you must be busy."

• Like 4