Menu

dust jackets

Elizabeth86

Use them...  A couple of years ago, I bought  4 Used mass market hardback non-fiction books (autobiographies).  they have the Dust Jackets on them. I hope that will protect them a little.  I've read one of the books and am about 60% finished with the 2nd one.  Which reminds me I need to dedicate some time each day to reading them...

They stay on the books here.  We've rarely had an issue with them ripping, and they usually make the book more appealing.  I have a plastic one that will need to be tossed, sadly, having cracked down the spine.  It is clear but had all the writing on it for the back cover.  I still don't want to take it off because of that.

If the cover of the book is the same as the dust jacket it generally goes (especially on ds' books as they get ripped pretty quick). If the dust jacket is different, the book cover is plain or it's a special edition then the cover stays. How's that for a clear cut answer. :laugh:  

The only books with dust jackets in our house that I can recall are children's books. I removed them and saved them on an upper shelf in their closet for many years, then put them back on the books when the chance of destruction was low. My kids were always pretty careful with books--they didn't need board books because they were gentle. But I took the dust jackets off anyway.

I read library books and paperbacks--no dust jackets.

If the cover of the book is the same as the dust jacket it generally goes (especially on ds' books as they get ripped pretty quick). If the dust jacket is different, the book cover is plain or it's a special edition then the cover stays. How's that for a clear cut answer. :laugh:

Same here.

I am not a particularly fastidious reader -- I drop at least a book a year into the bathtub -- but my dust jackets never rip. When my kids were toddlers, sure, rips happened, on the cover but also inside the book itself.  One of children's first developmental tasks in our household was to learn how to handle books properly.  Once they did, I added better books to the paperbacks and board books and library sale editions on the bottom shelves within their reach.

I also do the inside-cover-as-a-bookmark thing.  Cuz I was raised that dog-earing was a mortal sin.  Old habits die hard.

This is an area of significant marital divergence with my husband -- he grew up removing dust covers, and thereafter promptly losing them.    :willy_nilly: I hate uncovered books on the shelves -- I tend to remember what they look like, the colors and font size, so I can't find anything if the covers are off.  I sneak around behind him and rescue his covers.  Fortunately he doesn't read many books, he's more a magazine and Kindle guy.

Edited by Pam in CT

I've always kept them on while the book is on the shelf but I take them off when I read the book. 

This is what I do as well. Occasionally a jacket has gotten ruined while it's off the book, and then I have no problem tossing it. Otherwise, I do try to keep it if I can. Not really a big deal to me either way though. I'm way more concerned about the spines!

I love them....I mean LOVE them. I love hardback with dust jackets so much that I buy library binding and put them on all of my books to make them beautiful and durable. I might be in the minority on this but when I buy used books I love when they are from libraries already with their binding. It is a wonderful sensory response for me to open and read a library bound covered book. Must be from my years growing up going to our public library :)

• Like 1