Menu

When baby only wants mama....

ktgrok

DH watched the baby today while I went and got my nails done. I got a pedicure and manicure, and they were busy so I had to wait, and it took longer than expected.And while I was gone the baby woke up from her nap early, and then proceeded to cry the whole time almost. Shrieking really, from what I hear. 

She refused the bottle I'd left (had previously taken them but it's been a while since we gave her one..oops), refused the pacifier for the most part, and was generally unable to be pleased. I came home and she was all smiles again. 

Any tips? Going to try a faster flow bottle (I have a rapid let down so that may help mimic that), and have him try to hold her more but what else? I have that big conference at the end of th month and although he'll stay at the hotel so I can nurse her, he's going to have her a LOT. 

Yes, he just needs to do a lot more interacting with her daily so that she comes to recognize him as a primary caregiver, too.

DD was like this.  She could scream for hours with almost no break at all.  She brought my mother, DH and a dear friend with lots of kids of her own to tears because she would scream nearly non-stop until my return.  She was inconsolable.  It was emotionally draining for them to care for her.  But I was with her nearly all the time.  Everyone else worked and DH traveled a lot.  They hardly saw her except on the rare occasions I had to leave without her and they would rearrange their schedules to stay with her.  Even DH hardly saw her those first few months.

• Like 2

I've had one or two like this. One had no other caregivers but me for about the first year. The second was a little less extreme, and we found that practice helped immensely.

Try leaving a T-shirt you have worn with him when you leave. Maybe her being able to still have your smell when he holds her would help.

I'm not sure how old your baby is now, Katie, and I don't really know how to say this without it sounding harsh and mean but I'm going to try anyway.

Normal.

(((((((((((((((Katie)))))))))))))))

It's so hard being the parent of a baby, no matter how many times you have done it before or how desperately the baby was wanted or how well you knew what you were getting into. I feel your pain. It wasn't nails, but there were other things I longed to do when mine were littles and other reasons I wanted someone else to watch them for awhile so I could just get a break.

I'm no help. That person was never available. I either brought my baby with me or sucked it up, but not like a buttercup, more like a whiny little brat who kept asking for a candy bar even though she knew she couldn't have one.

This season is so short. I'm still surprised that my "caboose baby" is a big kid now. Your nails will be just as beautiful next year and I'd love, love, love to see a picture of them fresh from the salon when your then-toddler enjoys her special Daddy/daughter dates.

eta: as always, hth and if it doesn't just ignore

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Our 5th would never take a bottle (he's 2 now).  We ended up just packing them into a bag and putting them in his closet.  I guess I saved a lot of money on baby formula.   :glare:   It would've been nice to switch off feedings, YKWIM?  So, I don't have any suggestions, but   :grouphug: . 

Babies are so friggin sexist.

:lol:  LOL!

My daughter was just like this.  She was SUCH a clingy baby.  I started leaving her with DH at least for a tiny 15-20 minute block of time daily starting when she was about 6 weeks because there was just NO way I could be the only parent for that kid.  I'd go shower or walk a few blocks. She did get super comfortable with DH then within a month.  We eventually got her ok with my mom and DH's mom too for stretches of time.  She never really used a bottle either, but I trained her to use a sippy cup by 7-8 months.   There were times I did have to leave her for 6-8 hours and she survived. 

In funny news, she later was FINE with him, smiling and flirting and being adorable. He just glared and said, "She's a liar. She did NOT do this while you were gone!"  :lol:

I think her bottom teeth are about to come in, which may have influenced things, as she didn't want to nap for me either when I got home. She's finally asleep now but it took all my tricks....laying down side nursing with water sounds playing on my phone after a good round of rocking and bouncing. 

It's the b00ks. Hairy nipples just don't do it for them :lol:

There is something undeniably appealing to babies about human milk machines! 

But moms that don't breastfeed still manage to bond, and so can daddies!

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 3

I've had two like that and while both still prefer mama, we just had daddy push through to create his own bond with them. One was breastfed, one was bottle fed so I don't think it had anything to do with feeding in our case. Just a preference. It always seemed so weird to me when my 4th started doing that though because for the first 3, Daddy was just as good as Mama.  

I am not much help, as all of my babies have had very strong preferences for me at that age. Three year old still very, very strongly prefers mama, to the point where if I'm around, he will almost certainly insist that I do something for him even if I'm busy and someone else can do it faster.

Have your dh use whatever carrier you use with her. That might help her find the sense of home base that she gets from you.

There is something undeniably appealing to babies about human milk machines! 

But moms that don't breastfeed still manage to bond, and so can daddies!

All 4 of my babies with dh were breastfed, and none of them really ever cared if I disappeared for an hour, or a day, or a weekend!

(Which actually bothered me, but obviously it could have been worse!)

• Like 2

I have a rule when I leave the baby with Dad or Grandma: they are NOT allowed to utter the words, "He cried the whole time" upon my return.

I mean, how horrible is that to hear? Also, what exactly can we do about it at that point?

But yes, we found that even my fussiest, clingiest baby would be soothed by going out for a walk in the Ergo.

And the fact is, with her, there were some times that she would cry and cry even though I was with her and nursing her. Crying is not the end of the world. Babies cry. I try not to jump in when my baby is crying with dad when I'm home but to maybe smile at him reassuringly because it's not his failure. It's normal to miss and want to be near a parent who isn't there. (My kids, once older, do cry about missing their dad when he's out of town.) It's good to know there is someone in the world who will accept your feelings and try to comfort you, even if he is unable to give you exactly what you want.

yeah. I do wish he would have texted me and updated me if it was that bad (his blood pressure was through the roof when I got back from the crying). I would have just done a pedicure, and saved the manicure for another day. But I didn't want to cut things short only to come home and find she slept the whole time, and without him letting me know, I had no way to judge. Sigh. 

I will definitely get her back to using a bottle at least a few times a week, as I think part of it was she was flat out hungry. And will pick up a faster flow nipple. And make sure to leave the carrier with him (just got a Lillebaby and LOVE IT) and have him adjust it to fit him. That said, I'm a bit panicked about my conference now! 

Yeah, he should have kept you updated via text if possible. But sometimes that doesn't solve things because you can't get home right away.

Check out the Dunstan language and share it with your dh. Might help a little. Glad you like the carrier. I have one of those (all seasons). You actually don't need to upgrade nipple flows. I learned that from the LLL facebook page I think. Moms nipples don't change sizes so bottle nipples don't need to, either. They also recommend paced bottle feeding. I guess the main thing is to notice when the baby is showing first signs of hunger so they don't get ravenous/impatient at the bottle lol. Easier said than done sometimes. Also maybe the baby has a preference for milk temp and it wasn't to her liking.