Menu

When do you let your child ride in front seat?

When do you let your child ride in front seat?  

1. 1. When do you let your child ride in front seat?

• If airbag can be disabled--once in booster seat
    • If airbag can be disabled--once out of booster seat
    • I use AAP guidelines (wow! they are strict) age 13
    • Once big enough/old enough for lap belt even if there is an airbag

In our house it's 12yrs old, about 100lbs and 5 feet tall. All three are necessary. My Sienna also turns the airbag on or off by weighing the person sitting there. I will say this, I'm about 5'3" or 4" and 103 lbs. I'm very aware that I want to be as far as possible from the airbag in the steering wheel and the side of the door. I appreciate its intention but I fear it would do more harm than good with me. Is that irrational?

I voted "AAP Guidelines" but, in reality, they're not sitting up front until they can drive. And they will sit in a belt-adjusting booster until they are tall enough to have the belt fit them properly. Period. I don't care if they're 20 when that happens. (I actually had to sit on a pillow to see to drive my first car - an MG Midget) My boys are 4 and not quite 40 lbs... I'm trying to convince my husband that a highback booster with a 5 point harness that goes to 80 lbs is a reasonable "next step" in the carseats. (And, frankly, I'm not above installing racing harnesses in the car when they learn to drive)

Sorry. We live in a rural area. About 5 kids are killed - or nearly so - in our area every year, generally in single car accidents (read: them versus a tree, versus a ditch, or versus physics in general). The local firehouse will be burying one of their young members this weekend (young driver vs physics in this case). If my kids are not riding in an actual tank (or '77 Lincoln, which is essentially the same thing) they will be as firmly attached to the seats as I can work, for as long as I can work it.

My boys were in Britax SE carseats (5-pt harness) until they were 11 and 13 when they hit about 85lb. They are now in harnesses. The girls are also in SE's. The 9yo will use one of the boys harnesses if it is available.

For those relying on rules - I really don't care what the rules are (we live in Mexico so no rules apply). I am more interested in safety.

I've also heard that age does matter. I think it has something to do with how well the organs are developed and that bones are softer before they reach a certain age. Even though a 10 year old may weigh 120 pounds and be 5-4 their organs and bones aren't as developed as an adults and can be damaged by the air bag in a crash.

Of course size also matters. My dd was only 79 pounds and less than 5 feet tall when she was 14. I still made her sit in the back if at all possible. I finally let her start sitting in the front last year. She is still only 90 pounds and 5-1 but since she is 16 and driving I guess I'd better let her sit in the front :001_smile:

I put the last choice but it's not entirely true. My kids have definitely sat in the front before age 13.

But, my daughter is 12 right now and is 5'8 1/2" and weighs about 130lbs. So, IMO, it would be silly to make her wait until she's 13 when she's already the size of a full grown woman.:)

Hey, where is my obligatory "Other"?????

Dd has been sitting in the front since she was 3 in a carseat, booster seat, and with lap belt. Yes, car had airbag which could not be disabled. I tried to have it disabled, but they refused to do it. Her sitting in the front was my safest option. I totally do not believe the government should have the authority to make these types of decisions for a parent. And, if I want to have my car without an airbag, it should be MY decision. Make me sign a waiver, but disable the @!@#@ thing if I say so! My other girls started sitting up front sometimes when they were about 11. Ds has had the front opportunity every once in a while starting at 10. I put the child in front regardless of airbag when I decide it is our safest option.

And, if I want to have my car without an airbag, it should be MY decision. Make me sign a waiver, but disable the @!@#@ thing if I say so!

:iagree: I absolutely hate the fact that I can not disable the air bag. I have known several people who were in automobile accidents and the only injuries they sustained were due to the air bag.

I am to afraid of my kids getting hurt and won't let them till they are at least 16. I just think of safety.

So, are you not going to let them get there learner's permit before they are 16? Just curious; not challenging.:)

My son is in driver's ed right now. He's getting his permit on Friday and will turn 16 a week later. I can't imagine not letting him sit in the front when he is going to actually be driving the vehicle very soon. How can he learn by observing us if he's behind us?

I'm also curious...for some of you...when your dh is driving, and you are all together, do you sit in the back seat?

I wish I could find the reference to a study that showed that children, no matter what height or weight, should not sit in the front until they are fifteen, because their skeletons were not strong enough to deal with the stresses of an accident. I couldn't vote in the poll, because we'll be waiting until fifteen.

This is where I stand, as well.

My kids had to be at least 5'1" tall and weigh 105 lbs. before I'd let them sit in the front seat. I make sure the seat is as far away from the dashboard as it can get. The boys were 13 years old before they could sit in the front seat. DD was 12, 5'3" tall, and 120 lbs. when I let her sit in the front.

All my kids sat in booster seats until they maxed out the weight -- 80 or 85 lbs, can't recall.

My sister and stepmother are 4'10" tall and each weigh about 80 lbs, and they drive. I worry about the airbag inflating if they have a wreck. OTOH, I do not know anyone who has had his or her airbag inflate.

RC

Ds had to the other day for the first time. I was pickng up a school desk that had the chair attached and the only way to fit it in the van was with his seat down and the desk on it and him in the front seat. The same thing will happen this weekend when we pick up the next one. Since he is only 10 and a little small for his age I don't allow it any other time, only when there is no other choice.

We allow them to ride in the front when their feet can rest comfortably on the floor, the edge of the seat comfortably touching the back of the knees and their backs positioned to the back of the seat so basically, the recommmended guidelines. My dh is a paramedic and I'm a former ER nurse. We have seen too many ejections, airbag injuries and such to allow our dc to sit in the front before recommended. My twins are 11 and they are still in the back.

He's almost 6ft tall, 130lbs. He otherwise has to squish into the back with a toddler booster seat and his 10yo sister, so we let him sit up front when the seat is available. I guess when my kids are roughly adult size and weight, I'll let them if it's really necessary. The back seat is always safer - child or not - so I tend to favor leaving them in the back seat.

My kids had to be at least 5'1" tall and weigh 105 lbs. before I'd let them sit in the front seat. I make sure the seat is as far away from the dashboard as it can get. The boys were 13 years old before they could sit in the front seat. DD was 12, 5'3" tall, and 120 lbs. when I let her sit in the front.

All my kids sat in booster seats until they maxed out the weight -- 80 or 85 lbs, can't recall.

My sister and stepmother are 4'10" tall and each weigh about 80 lbs, and they drive. I worry about the airbag inflating if they have a wreck. OTOH, I do not know anyone who has had his or her airbag inflate.

RC

In high school, a very tiny friend of mine has her airbag inflate. It wasn't a high speed accident, so she didn't suffer too badly from the airbag (facial abrasions and a concussion.)

I don't like to draw comparisons between small adults and children of the same size. If a small adult needs to drive, they obviously have no choice but to sit in the front seat and take that increased risk.

A child, whether 2, 12, or 15 has no reason to take that increased risk. The car will still move when they're in the back seat, even if they're as big as a small adult. ;)

We allow them to ride in the front when their feet can rest comfortably on the floor, the edge of the seat comfortably touching the back of the knees and their backs positioned to the back of the seat so basically, the recommmended guidelines. My dh is a paramedic and I'm a former ER nurse. We have seen too many ejections, airbag injuries and such to allow our dc to sit in the front before recommended. My twins are 11 and they are still in the back.

Kysha, do you happen to know answers to this: How does an ejection occur? Is there a safe distance from an airbag? (We can adjust our seats go back so far I can't imagine the airbag reaching that far back.) What about in a truck?

I voted "once big enough for a lap belt even if there is an air bag" for safety reasons. We have a sedan that seats 5, which means all three of ours are technically safest in the back. A couple of years ago it became apparent that safety was relative, as dd at 10 was squished in the back between her two brothers, still in car seats. She took all kinds of abuse, and I was constantly having my attention diverted by what was going on in the backseat. I decided it was far less likely that we would get in an airbag-deploying accident if she was in the front away from her brothers and I could drive in peace than the chances of us getting in any kind of accident with me being constantly distracted. I will add that at this point she was close to 5 feet and 100 pounds. Had we a larger car, I would have kept her in the back seat longer.

We don't have a passenger side airbag, so my 12yo & 10yo are allowed to sit in the front seat. I think they started in the front seat when they were around 7 or 8. But we won't let them sit in the front seat at all with an airbag. We always borrow cars when we're visiting in the US and it really drives them crazy that they're not allowed to sit in the front seat, especially when their friends and cousins can.

I don't like to draw comparisons between small adults and children of the same size. If a small adult needs to drive, they obviously have no choice but to sit in the front seat and take that increased risk.

A child, whether 2, 12, or 15 has no reason to take that increased risk. The car will still move when they're in the back seat, even if they're as big as a small adult. ;)

:iagree: Exactly! We sometimes forget that children aren't just "small adults." :001_smile:

Hey, where is my obligatory "Other"?????

Dd has been sitting in the front since she was 3 in a carseat, booster seat, and with lap belt. Yes, car had airbag which could not be disabled. I tried to have it disabled, but they refused to do it. Her sitting in the front was my safest option. I totally do not believe the government should have the authority to make these types of decisions for a parent. And, if I want to have my car without an airbag, it should be MY decision. Make me sign a waiver, but disable the @!@#@ thing if I say so! My other girls started sitting up front sometimes when they were about 11. Ds has had the front opportunity every once in a while starting at 10. I put the child in front regardless of airbag when I decide it is our safest option.

Who refused to disable your airbag? Are you saying it is against the law to have a disabled airbag? I have disabled mine before by pulling out the fuse for it. Your car's manual should be able to tell where it is. I've been letting my daughter, 8, ride in the front with the airbag disabled. So far I've only seen arguments for not letting them ride in front because of the airbag, is there something else I should be concerned about?

My 13 yr old boy has been riding in the front seat since he was 11. Here is why: When he was 11 he was as tall as me so we allowed him to ride in the front seat.

Now my soon to be 11 yr old boy (next Tuesday) can't ride in the front seat because he is a petite size still. He has been begging for a year for this but we said he needs to be at least 5 ft tall. I am 5 ft 3.

I take their length over their age.

Holly

Who refused to disable your airbag? Are you saying it is against the law to have a disabled airbag? I have disabled mine before by pulling out the fuse for it. Your car's manual should be able to tell where it is. I've been letting my daughter, 8, ride in the front with the airbag disabled. So far I've only seen arguments for not letting them ride in front because of the airbag, is there something else I should be concerned about?
:iagree: