Menu

Do you say pollywog or tadpole?

J-rap

I was talking to my dd today about pollywogs, and she had no idea what I was talking about!  Thinking it over, I believe most people around here call them tadpoles.  In the part of the country I grew up in, we always called them pollywogs.  Is this a regional thing?  

• Like 1

I thought they were two different stages of frog development.  You mean my elementary science teacher lied ???

That's what I was taught too. I thought tadpoles were the little swimmers and pollywogs were the little swimmers when they could kind of kick. 

Mostly we just call them tadpoles but I wouldn't look at you funny if you said pollywog.

• Like 2

I thought they were two different stages of frog development.  You mean my elementary science teacher lied ???

That's what I was taught too. I thought tadpoles were the little swimmers and pollywogs were the little swimmers when they could kind of kick. 

Mostly we just call them tadpoles but I wouldn't look at you funny if you said pollywog.

That was my response. I thought it referred to stages of development

I think we should ask dmmetler!

Then I said this. Where is she?

Next time, I won't delete my post so quickly. For a moment I thought I was completely losing it...

• Like 1

I've never heard of them being names for different developmental stages. I wonder where that idea originated?

To me pollywog has always been just an alternative name for a tadpole.

Yes, they are interchangeable names, representing the same stage of development.

• Like 1

But apparently these both represent the exact same stage of development.

That's still what I SAY 😄 that was the question, no?

Edited by OKBud

But apparently these both represent the exact same stage of development.

Has that always been true? I am sure my teacher said otherwise when we did frogs. We even had class frogs that we got to see go through their stages. Is this like Pluto isn't a planet, or maybe it's a regional thing with teachers passing on colloquial terms?

I feel betrayed.

• Like 2

They apparently represent the same stage of development though.

Except that--if in some dialectical variations they refer to different stages--then to those people the words DO represent different stages.

It doesn't have to be all one way or the other.

A bit of Google sleuthing suggests that the term pollywog is more commin in England and that porwigle is another variation found there.

I haven't found anything yet on tadpole and pollywog being used for different stages. Since several people in this thread seem to have learned this usage though it must come from somewhere--local dialect, or...could it be some misguided science textbook writer made up the distinction and it got taught in elementary schools around the country?!?

Pure speculation.

For those who have used the terms for different stages of development, do you all agree on which stage comes first? I'm cirious.

Edited by maize

Tadpole is the larval stage, just after hatching. Pollywog is the metamorph stage, when they are starting to get legs, froglet is the stage with four legs and a tail, juvenile is when they leave the water. You rarely see pollywog in formal papers though, in favor of metamorph, while you see tadpole more than larva. But when out in the field collecting the wiggly guys, that's the division that seems to be made

Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 7

Tadpole is the larval stage, just after hatching. Pollywog is the metamorph stage, when they are starting to get legs, froglet is the stage with four legs and a tail, juvenile is when they leave the water. You rarely see pollywog in formal papers though, in favor of metamorph, while you see tadpole more than larva. But when out in the field collecting the wiggly guys, that's the division that seems to be made

Do you have a reference for pollywog defined as the metamorph stage?

I've been searching and can't find any definition for pollywog other than as a synonym for tadpole or frog larva.

That's just what I hear used in the field-the term used in formal papers, etc, is metamorph, and then the first section will define if they mean 2 legs, four legs, tail almost absorbed, etc as needed. But when you're doing counts, it makes sense to be able to say that you have a pollywog vs a froglet vs a tadpole.

• Like 1

That's just what I hear used in the field-the term used in formal papers, etc, is metamorph, and then the first section will define if they mean 2 legs, four legs, tail almost absorbed, etc as needed. But when you're doing counts, it makes sense to be able to say that you have a pollywog vs a froglet vs a tadpole.

So--pollywog is definitely being used informally in the scientific community, at least in your area, for the metamorph stage.

Fascinating and I still wonder where/how/when that usage originated, and how widespread it is.

I've been searching and can't find any definition for pollywog other than as a synonym for tadpole or frog larva.

This is all I've been able to find too.  And, apparently I'm the only one who more commonly uses the word pollywog instead of tadpole!

• Like 1

Maybe I use that term more because of my swimming lesson days at the YMCA as a kid. :) Their first level was "Polliwog." (They spelled it with an "i" instead of a "y".)

I wonder what part of the country. Because I took lessons at the Y growing up and they called it tadpole. Mine were in the Midwest. It seems interesting they used similar names, but set to the regional dialect or vocabulary.

This is what we were taught in elementary science 40+ years ago.

I wonder if they've watered down the textbooks since then, as has happened for some other subjects ....

Anyhoo, this is a nice lay illustration for how scientific "facts" change over time ....

I wonder what part of the country. Because I took lessons at the Y growing up and they called it tadpole. Mine were in the Midwest. It seems interesting they used similar names, but set to the regional dialect or vocabulary.

Mine were in the Bay area, west coast.  That IS interesting that even the Y called its beginning level by different names!