Menu

No Work Camping Vacation

Dh takes our dc to do more primitive tent camping, but when I go, I book cabins or yurts at a state campground for about $40 per night. They have a picnic table, grill or fire pit, electricity, a water source, and bunk beds. I bring an electric kettle and bedding, and really basic food. Think picnic, not recreating regular meals in the woods. In the past I have spent loads of time making (and cleaning up after) fresh pancakes, bacon, etc, but realized I am much happier to hand them a box of bakery muffins. We have even ordered pizza delivered to the campground entrance!

• Like 1

If you truly want planned menus (speaking generally, not camping) but can't wrap your brain around planning them then look into the services offered online that do exactly that. There are many you can subscribe to that will email you a weekly menu, complete with a grocery shopping list. Planning done. (Fresh20 and Dinner Diva--a.k.a. Saving Dinner -- are two you could google.)

Don't want to pay for a subscription? A lot of these subscription services also sell actual planned menu books. Google online to find one you think you might like to see, then go ask your library for it. If they don't have it you can request an Inter-Library Loan (ILL). If coming through ILL it might take a few weeks, but it's a great way to try it out for free.

I have looked at the services and they have nothing anything like the food we eat. THAT is the core of my problem, we do not eat what most people call "normal" food. Mostly because it makes me very sick.

• Like 3

I have looked at the services and they have nothing anything like the food we eat. THAT is the core of my problem, we do not eat what most people call "normal" food. Mostly because it makes me very sick.

I feel your pain on the food situation.  All kinds of crazy food needs/wants here so we do better bringing our own food.  But then guess who deals with the burden of that?  Me.

So nope, I don't want to go camping.

I love camping, but what you describe sounds miserable and seems like a recipe for disaster. You can meal plan backwards . . . just write down what you ate for the last few days and plan to take THAT with you. BAM. Instant menu. Do as much prep as possible at home so you're just reheating at camp. Or eat fruit and sandwiches and salads so you don't have to cook and let the others eat canned stuff. A camp stove makes everything easier.

• Like 2

They're adults how about saying "you're in charge of breakfasts and you're in charge of lunches and we will provide dinner" and then have dh follow up? (Pack granola bars and pb and crackers for you guys if they screw it up. )

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

They want to go, I did not ask why. They camped almost every weekend growing up and I think they enjoy it. DH does want us all to go.

What do they do? Well DH enjoys hiking, sketching, fishing, and just enjoying nature. The step kids? I am not sure what theu enjoy, what they do is stare at screens. One will go with DH on a hike, but they have no iniative beyond staring at screens.

I have debated (and still am!) staying home. I enjoy camping, just not stress.

Could you plan to stay home so they get together whatever all is needed (sounds like they managed for many years to do that without you in their lives)?  Then, if you want to, show up at the campsite later with what you need?  Or plan a separate camping trip with just dh or just dh and your ds at some other time.

Seriously, insist on water and electric. then you can have a coffee pot, toaster oven, electric skillet, etc and washing dishes isn't such a pain!!

All of which I would have to go buy before camping. Me going to the store and buying stuff that I have to figure out how to pack, I have to set up, so I can have conviences to make the work I have to do because lazy adults kids do not pull their weight. People in their lives doing this type of thing is part of the reason they are the way they are.

• Like 2

All of which I would have to go buy before camping. Me going to the store and buying stuff that I have to figure out how to pack, I have to set up, so I can have conviences to make the work I have to do because lazy adults kids do not pull their weight. People in their lives doing this type of thing is part of the reason they are the way they are.

Oh, gotcha. That's all stuff I already have so for me it would just be simple. But if it's going to complicate things that definitely defeats the whole purpose.

I've read through the thread and can see that no matter how this goes, it's going to be a bummer for you.  Sorry!  I actually like camping, and I've done a lot.  Including planning camp for bunches of teenage girls who are basically no help.  They are supposed to help with the cooking and clean up, but it's often more work to have them helping, you know?  I have a few basic things I always cook on campouts.  That makes it a little easier for me.  For the large group camps, I have a spreadsheet with ingredients and amounts that I use.  For my family, I just keep it simple.  

Our last camping trip was something I really wanted to do (not traditional camping in the woods, it was to go see some sights that I wanted to see, but we just couldn't afford the travel and hotel rooms) but my dh was not all that interested.  I told him I would do my best to fix every meal so we could save money by not eating out. So, I reminded myself that I was the one who wanted this, and I planned and bought cooked all the stinkin' food.  Dh and the kids did pitch in a help with the meals, but it was up to me to make sure we had all the stuff, and store the stuff safely, and pull out the stuff for the meal, etc. I told myself I was going to get a mani-pedi after it was over.  It was a great trip, and I'm glad we went, and I hardly remember the food.  Not really a "vacation" but not worse than being at home (where I also do the majority of the planning, purchasing, cooking and clean up. no gold medals for that, I'm sorry to say.)  

So, it looks like you have to do this camping trip.  And it looks like you won't have any real help.  And you will be camping with frustrating people.  All you can control is the food (make sure you have something yummy put away for yourself) and your attitude.  Unfortunately, that's really hard!!  And menu planning seems hard for you, too.  Which makes things even more frustrating!!  But I think you can do this and I think you can enjoy moments of the trip, even if not all of it.

Here are my go-to camping foods (I realize this list won't help with your meal planning issues, but maybe something will be helpful):

Breakfast - eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes.  I plan to eat  that stuff every day.  Maybe not everything every day, but a couple of the things each day.   Pancakes and bacon. Scrambled eggs and sausage.  Fried eggs and bacon and pancakes.  sausage and pancakes, egg sandwiches on bread.  It doesn't get old.  If I'm feeling fancy, and if we have the right leftovers from taco night, I might even do breakfast burritos (eggs, sausage, tortilla, salsa.)

lunch - sandwiches, chips, fruit, cookie from the store.  Every day.  We like turkey, tuna, egg salad, and pb and j.  

dinner

- walking tacos - taco meat (precooked and frozen at home) little frito bags, salsa, sour cream, lettuce.

- chili dogs - chili (made and home and frozen or from a can) hot dogs cooked over the fire.  I might bring some potatoes to cook in foil in the fire, too, but maybe not.

- spaghetti - meatballs (made and frozen at home, or bought in the frozen section) canned sauce, pasta, french bread

- foil dinners - hamb, frozen potato shreds, carrots, onion, cream of soup, ketchup, etc. cooked over coals or even charcoal, served with sour dough bread baked in the dutch oven.  

- chicken thighs and sliced potatoes in the dutch oven.  served with salad and maybe sour dough bread.

dessert - super important to me while camping.  I like to use the dutch oven for easy desserts.  I also keep lots of s'mores stuff around

- apple crisp in the dutch oven - granny smith apples, mix the toppings at home and bring it in a ziplock bag.  

- peach cobbler in the dutch oven - large can of peaches in syrup, cake mix.  butter.  yum!

- monkey bread in the dutch oven - refrigerator rolls and all the butter and brown sugar and cinnamon stuff

- s'mores - available every night even if we had a dutch oven dessert

- camp fire starbursts.  strangely yummy, but dangerous - they are like hot lava on a stick!

Other food things that round out the meals - good fruit and veggies - watermelon, peaches, apples, corn on the cob, squash, etc.  

Good luck! I'm sure you will survive!  I hope you can carve out a little joy for yourself!!

• Like 1

Is it possible to have a camping vacation where there is little to no clean up or work for me that does not involve DH doing 100% of the work?

DS will help, the adult step children will only help after their electronic screens are ripped from their hands and a scene is made at the campground.

Added fun: I get ill when I eat most convience and packaged camping foods (mountain house freeze dried meals) that would make my life easier during a camping trip. By ill I mean, unable to leave the bathroom and doing laundry will be a daily activity.

I am pretty sure I am only setting myself up for frustration and to be pissed off on vacation.

I believe there are luxury camping resorts where you can "camp" on tropical islands in "tents" that are equipped with king sized beds, indoor plumbing, and servants.

If this is not in your budget, then I am going to guess that the answer is no.

Can you stay home?

• Like 1

I have a permanent injury, I now live in pain and I have reduced daily living function as well. How did I get said injury? Well, when we moved step child sat on their duff and stared while DS and I did the bulk of the physical labor to move the boxes.

*DH says they will help out if asked.

*IME that means they do bare bones half-a$$ job.

*I feel that I should never have to ask a mid-20 something to participate in preparing their own meals and cleaning up after themselves.

Call me the worst person in the world, but I am done. I have been patient. My anxiety is high because I do not want to deal with the same BS as I do at home. Nope. I am not asking to be waited on, I am asking adults share equal part of the work load.

I am debating cancelling the reservations.

Just in case I do not cancel and we all go, I bought no dishes meals. I bought paper plates that I will burn and when I can find then, I will buy burnable utensils. I will not pack a table or the stove or any dishes. Nothing. Frozen hotdogs and cans of beans. They will each of a thing to roast the hotdogs with and it will be color coded. I will have my own food options that do not need to be heated up in order to eat. If trash is not taken to the dumpster it will be dumped into tents.

I will probably cancel the trip. Pity said injury prevents me from driving more than 45 minutes (and that took me over 7 months to get up to), or I would find someplace for just DS and I to go.

• Like 1

Cancel the trip, at least for yourself. This is all not worth it for people who aren't even going to appreciate what you had to deal with. I do think the best plan is to not go but send them. You can get some peace and quiet and they can learn to step up a bit.

Well, I wouldn't do it if the other adults aren't going to pull their weight.

If you're going to do it anyway, split jobs in advance so everyone knows what's expected.  Since I was 7 years old and camping with Girl Scouts, everyone has had a job, including planning, shopping for, cooking, and cleaning up after a meal.  When each person is assigned a meal or two, no one has an overwhelming amount of work.

• Like 1

So don't go. You don't want to go. It's physically painful for you to go. You have every reason to just not go.

I wouldn't cancel the reservation. Send your DH and the step kids and your DS if he wants to go. Tell your DH that he needs some bonding time with his kids. They are unlikely to starve in a couple of days of camping, even if all they have packed is hotdogs and beans. Or they can stop somewhere and buy whatever they want to eat.

You are angry and resentful (not without reason!) and rather than finding the worst possible way to do these things, I think you should just stay home.

• Like 3

*DH says they will help out if asked.

*IME that means they do bare bones half-a$$ job.

*I feel that I should never have to ask a mid-20 something to participate in preparing their own meals and cleaning up after themselves.

This makes me want to tear my hair out.  I wonder how long it would take someone to "ask" me to do something if I just did nothing until asked.

You should tell him what you want is for him to take charge of this trip that he wants to go on and he can ask you when he needs help.

Why would cancelling the reservation be better than them going without you?   Remember, you can only control what you do.  Just tell people that you aren't going.   Honestly, I think it will be good for your husband to interact with them when you aren't around as the buffer/scapegoat.  
it also seems like time alone for you would BE a vacation.  

• Like 4