Menu

No Work Camping Vacation

Is it possible to have a camping vacation where there is little to no clean up or work for me that does not involve DH doing 100% of the work?

DS will help, the adult step children will only help after their electronic screens are ripped from their hands and a scene is made at the campground.

Added fun: I get ill when I eat most convience and packaged camping foods (mountain house freeze dried meals) that would make my life easier during a camping trip. By ill I mean, unable to leave the bathroom and doing laundry will be a daily activity.

I am pretty sure I am only setting myself up for frustration and to be pissed off on vacation.

• Like 1

Said with only your best interest in mind, in a warm, caring, yet slightly-panicked voice: "Don't do it!"

It was all fine, reading your post, and I was thinking of ideas ... until you mentioned the stepkids would be there, and will need to help. They don't help at home. They won't help on vacation. This is a recipe for stress and misery.

Can you come up with another family vacation option?

• Like 18

How old are the stepkids?  Can you take away the electronics and lay it out for them before you go?  I guess that should probably come from dh.  Is he willing to put a foot down?  If not, then I wouldn't feel at all guilty about letting him do the work.  

We leave this weekend for two weeks of camping.  My kids LOVE their electronics.  But, we don't have an electrical hook-up at the site we are staying at for most of the time, and there is no wifi except in the main parking lot.  So, we aren't even bringing electronics except for our cell phones.

Dh has been cooking all week (using the crockpot) and freezing things.  Pulled pork, spaghetti sauce, I'm not sure what else since this is entirely his deal.   He will heat things up on a Coleman stove.  Clean-up will involve washing dishes, which the kids are certainly capable of helping with (and kind of enjoy when it's hot and they can get super wet).

• Like 2

I tried a quick google search on "full-service camping" and found stuff like this:  https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/11360869  I have no idea of the cost of this.

If the stepcs are adults you could opt to leave them out of a normal camping trip and just make it you, your DH, and your DS.  Or you can look for services near you that do the setting up and breaking down, rent you gear, and even cater some meals.  

Another option (expensive) is to look for dude/guest ranches and check into what they offer.  Some are resort-y, but others are a lot more old style.  Who knows?  Some might offer the types of camping you are looking for -- low fuss for you.

In addition to online searches you could inquire at a travel agent.  They know of lots of options!

• Like 1

I love to camp, but yes, coming home is often the vacation b/c of all the work it takes to 'do' camping.  When making meals I go for easy.  I'm really  using my dutch oven more now since it's one pot to clean.  My kids have to help make food and clean up food.  Unless you are doing some full service camp experience where they haul it to the spot, set it up, cook for you I don't know of an easier way to camp.  But full service camping exists.  

A lot of state parks now have camper cabins.  That would eliminate the work of putting up a tent!  You can make simple meals for breakfast and lunch, only cooking over the campfire in the evenings.  (You could stick with oatmeal for breakfast or even easier -- cereal for breakfast, and sandwiches for lunch.)  Use paper plates.  Could you assign each child (maybe in teams of twos) a dinner they have to prepare?  Otherwise get boxes of more instant type foods, like Zatarain's Beans and Rice or even macaroni and cheese.  Even assigning the smaller jobs like collecting firewood, starting the fire, or getting ice can be a huge help.

Is this something you WANT to do??

• Like 1

Said with only your best interest in mind, in a warm, caring, yet slightly-panicked voice: "Don't do it!"

It was all fine, reading your post, and I was thinking of ideas ... until you mentioned the stepkids would be there, and will need to help. They don't help at home. They won't help on vacation. This is a recipe for stress and misery.

Can you come up with another family vacation option?

Yes, we discussed a longer trip but when we brought up the destination, a lovely national park in VA, DS demanded to be dropped off the house a friend who lives a few hours away...

• Like 1

Sure, you just have to *go to* a camp.

Lots of camps have this set up.  You bring your tent, and they have meals served communally plus some activities.

For instance, Mount Cross, in Felton CA, does this 4th of July week.  I know folks who meet there every year and have a blast.  There are a big swimming pool with a lifeguard, archery, crafts, hiking, a baseball/softball diamond, ropes courses, and bus trips to the beach.  There are also card games on the plaza sometimes, and campfires every night.  It's fun, and there is no cooking or cleaning up.

• Like 6

I go camping every year at the beach, not because I love camping, but because I can afford a beachside campsite, but not an ocean front hotel room. 

We only go three or four days. I get sites with electric and water. We camp at a state park, which is nice, but right outside the park entrance is busy crowded resort/military town (VA Beach). I pack an ice chest. I will put in cut veggie, fruit, boiled eggs, yogurt, chicken breast or lunch meat, cheese. I will plan on replenishing ice daily from the camp store. I pack a case or so of seltzer which we will drink warm if room in the cooler is not available. I will refridgerate one case before I leave, so the first day/night the seltzer is still cool. 

The day of arrival, we eat food I made at home. We set up camp, go swim and eat a picnic dinner. 

The remaining days we likely eat one meal out. We have breakfast of plain yogurt, cereal and fruit. Sometimes I pack a small burner and make oatmeal in the morning. The other meal will be a plate of crackers with veggies and various meat and cheese, or sandwiches (I might bring squirt mayonaise in the cooler to make sandwich assembly easier). 

I use paper towels, paper plates, some recyclable things. I will bring a small cutting board, knife, bowl and spoon to prep and a small bottle of dish soap. 

So, if you don't plan cooked meals you can do this. 

We make a campfire, but just for fun not so much for cooking. If you want cooked meals one easy clean up thing is foil wraps with cubed potatoes and meat and other stuff (this is often a scout thing). Everyone has their own foil they fill and put in to cook. 

It's just me dd (19) and younger ds (15 with disabilities). We plan on reading, playing games and doing the nature trails as well as the beach. But there is time for dd to play with her phone and ds to plug in his portable dvd player and get a dose of spongebob. 

• Like 2

I don't know about NO work, but I do a lot of the food prep at home and create little foil pkg that can be put over the fire or I will make a batch of chili and/or soup at home that just needs to reheat.  I do paper (burnable) plates to minimize my cleanup.  

When we go with other adults, those adults are responsible for their own food and cleanup.  With the kids I have instituted a rule that in order to eat, they need to help either with food prep or cleanup.  As they get older, they get more responsibility, but even my 2yr "helped" which was mostly just throwing away this or that and finding sticks.

• Like 1

I tried a quick google search on "full-service camping" and found stuff like this: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/11360869 I have no idea of the cost of this.

If the stepcs are adults you could opt to leave them out of a normal camping trip and just make it you, your DH, and your DS. Or you can look for services near you that do the setting up and breaking down, rent you gear, and even cater some meals.

Another option (expensive) is to look for dude/guest ranches and check into what they offer. Some are resort-y, but others are a lot more old style. Who knows? Some might offer the types of camping you are looking for -- low fuss for you.

In addition to online searches you could inquire at a travel agent. They know of lots of options!

I had no idea full service camping was even a thing!!

The last I looked at working ranches and resort type places they were expensive!! This trip is suppossed to be an inexpensive get away, camping, hiking, feeding worms to the lake and such fun.

If money was not an issue I am not sure what I would do (I am cheap) but I would probably not be tent camping.

Sure, you just have to *go to* a camp.

Lots of camps have this set up. You bring your tent, and they have meals served communally plus some activities.

For instance, Mount Cross, in Felton CA, does this 4th of July week. I know folks who meet there every year and have a blast. There are a big swimming pool with a lifeguard, archery, crafts, hiking, a baseball/softball diamond, ropes courses, and bus trips to the beach. There are also card games on the plaza sometimes, and campfires every night. It's fun, and there is no cooking or cleaning up.

I am obviously camping at the wrong places. This is completely new to me.

Most places we stay are very primitive, I recently started insisting on a picnic table so I do not have to figure out how to shove a table in with the rest of the supploes.

• Like 2

How old are the stepkids? Can you take away the electronics and lay it out for them before you go? I guess that should probably come from dh. Is he willing to put a foot down? If not, then I wouldn't feel at all guilty about letting him do the work.

We leave this weekend for two weeks of camping. My kids LOVE their electronics. But, we don't have an electrical hook-up at the site we are staying at for most of the time, and there is no wifi except in the main parking lot. So, we aren't even bringing electronics except for our cell phones.

Dh has been cooking all week (using the crockpot) and freezing things. Pulled pork, spaghetti sauce, I'm not sure what else since this is entirely his deal. He will heat things up on a Coleman stove. Clean-up will involve washing dishes, which the kids are certainly capable of helping with (and kind of enjoy when it's hot and they can get super wet).

Dh can and will tell them to step up and knock the crap off, but it will still be all my fault, as I am the wicked witch of the west.

A bit more about where we camp

It is over an hour to any sizeable city. 20 minutes to a small town.

We have a picnic table.

There is a lake, but no boat rental or restort type set up.

No campground events.

No electric or water at the campsite.

Edited by Χά�ων

Would you ever want to go to a place like this alone?  If so, what would you enjoy about it?

Maybe if you thought that through and planned in some things that you really like, that don't depend on others liking them to be enjoyable, this would be more palatable.  

For instance, if it were me, I would enjoy singing outside.  If I couldn't count on a family sing at the campfire, I'd plan on finding a rushing stream or river and going off to sing by myself for half an hour one day.  I would enjoy hiking, so I would hike, and if I had grouchy hateful stepkids in the mix, I wouldn't get invested in making them enjoy it as a condition of my own pleasure--rather I would say, "I'm going hiking tomorrow at 9:30--anyone who wants to come let me know."  I would bring knitting, or an inkle loom, or a macrame project.  And I'd bring some books to read--I try to make sure that I always have a cookbook and a heavy book along, in addition to the fun reading, so that if I feel serious I can study the cookbook and make shopping lists or menus or just mark recipes to try when I get home, or can read and contemplate something that the rush of everyday life would prevent normally, if I felt so inclined.

I'm not saying to be completely selfish, but rather to bring along some of yourself, of your own enjoyment.  

And my guess is that your husband enjoys doing a lot of the cooking, even if he complains about it, because it fits some idea of family for him that he values.

• Like 5

This sounds like a vacation to everyone BUT you. My thought is to "just say no."

Even when we use our timeshare exchange, I still find I'm cleaning, washing dishes, doing laundry, etc.

Sorry, but all of that stuff does NOT constitute a vacation for Mom. 

Here's an idea. Let THEM go camp and you stay home to enjoy a nice quiet house to yourself!

Ahhh! A true, and affordable, vacation!

• Like 12

I am obviously camping at the wrong places. This is completely new to me.

Most places we stay are very primitive, I recently started insisting on a picnic table so I do not have to figure out how to shove a table in with the rest of the supploes.

I've done primitive in the past. But now since I'm going without dh and with my youngest who has disabilities, I go places with lots of conveniences. I like the state park I go to. The sites are set up so that all can be taken, but I don't feel crowded since there are trees separating each site. Away from the park entrance the beach closest to the campsites we get definitely do not have a lot of people --even on July 4 last year. 

But we are close to a shower house with hot water. There is running water and electric on the campsite.If I need something the camp store has it or there is plenty of standard (grocery, drugstore, Target/Walmart) shopping available to get quickly. 

Primitive camping is nice. But if only a couple people are doing the work for a group, it's just not fun. 

Maybe you want to reset your perspective on the type of places you will camp, so that you can have more convenience available. 

• Like 3

Would you ever want to go to a place like this alone? If so, what would you enjoy about it?

Maybe if you thought that through and planned in some things that you really like, that don't depend on others liking them to be enjoyable, this would be more palatable.

For instance, if it were me, I would enjoy singing outside. If I couldn't count on a family sing at the campfire, I'd plan on finding a rushing stream or river and going off to sing by myself for half an hour one day. I would enjoy hiking, so I would hike, and if I had grouchy hateful stepkids in the mix, I wouldn't get invested in making them enjoy it as a condition of my own pleasure--rather I would say, "I'm going hiking tomorrow at 9:30--anyone who wants to come let me know." I would bring knitting, or an inkle loom, or a macrame project. And I'd bring some books to read--I try to make sure that I always have a cookbook and a heavy book along, in addition to the fun reading, so that if I feel serious I can study the cookbook and make shopping lists or menus or just mark recipes to try when I get home, or can read and contemplate something that the rush of everyday life would prevent normally, if I felt so inclined.

I'm not saying to be completely selfish, but rather to bring along some of yourself, of your own enjoyment.

And my guess is that your husband enjoys doing a lot of the cooking, even if he complains about it, because it fits some idea of family for him that he values.

I would not mind going alone. I would take apples, peanut butter, some cabbage and sausage for food and that is about it. I would cook one meal a day and it would be in a pan that I would eat out of so I only have to wash a pan and a fork. I would throw an air mattress in the back of my hatchback and call that a tent. I would take a change of clothes and something to sleep in. I would take a comfy camping chair, some sort of simple craft project, and my camera. I would spend the time hiking, taking pictures, feeding the lake worms, and doing nothing.

Adding in people means there are people who do not view apples and nut butter as a full breakfast and lunch and means more work for making and cleaning up after dinner. Or fights to make them do it.

ETA: Since we are so far out cooking is less about enjoyment and more about not going hungry.

Edited by Χά�ων
  • Like 2

Adding in people means there are people who do not view apples and nut butter as a full breakfast and lunch and means more work for making and cleaning up after dinner. Or fights to make them do it.

I just put out what the meal is and say that's it, but I am only bringing dd who is very flexible and younger ds who is mostly nonverbal. 

Two words- fire pit. The best part of camping without the hassle.

We used to camp. With young kids we wanted to be at a state park. There were always groups of campers getting drunk and cussing loudly at some point. Charming. By Sunday the bathrooms stunk. And of course I spent a day prepping, a day cleaning and tons of time during the trip cooking and cleaning.

Now we rent a boat and spend a few hours boating and swimming. No screens on boat and they don't even want em. Or in colder weather we go on a hike. Then we come home for dinner and then s'mores around the fire pit in the backyard.

So much better!!!

I would not mind going alone. I would take apples, peanut butter, some cabbage and sausage for food and that is about it. I would cook one meal a day and it would be in a pan that I would eat out of so I only have to wash a pan and a fork. I would throw an air mattress in the back of my hatchback and call that a tent. I would take a change of clothes and something to sleep in. I would take a comfy camping chair, some sort of simple craft project, and my camera. I would spend the time hiking, taking pictures, feeding the lake worms, and doing nothing.

I was going to suggest taking things that can be eaten cold and doing one one-pot meal. That's how we camp. Pasta and tomato sauce, eaten straight out of the pot. Bread, cheese and veggies during the day. Instant oatmeal for breakfast. I cook plenty yummy food at home; camping is not a time for culinary feats.

Your step kids are not little and do not need to be fed - they are perfectly capable of organizing their own meals.

Do the camping the way YOU want to do it. Do NOT feel responsible for catering to the family - this is as much your vacation as theirs. If they have higher expectations, they are old enough to fulfill them. Announce cheerfully your plan for meals: pb, apples, tortillas, simple no-prep stuff. You can offer to throw some groceries in the cart at the store if they want to cook something else.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 9

When we camp with the scouts, they tell everybody beforehand who is making and who is cleaning up after each meal. And everybody washes his/her own dish. Maybe making the schedule clear up front would reduce the grumbling--especially if they had input on what they cook.

I do not consider camping a vacation if one is trying to run a whole household as usual with only what fits in the car. More like a survival challenge.

• Like 1

So, is the main issue that the adult step kids are, in addition to being selfish and lazy, not really all that interested in going?  But DH wants to pull everyone together at times?

Because if so, then I reiterate, you have to carve out some fun for yourself while accepting a less than ideal situation.  You're going to be better company if you are having some fun and not just feeling resentful the whole time.  (if you need to justify this to DH)  (Though fundamentally, you shouldn't have to justify this to him--just do it--carve out some fun for yourself, don't be sulky about it, just calmly enjoy yourself.  Maybe others will surprise you by opting in.  Hey, it works for toddlers.)  Here is how to save time in cooking and cleanup--

Do a lot of it in advance, bring frozen food along, and minimize the need for heating things up and washing things.  Use Chinette plates and bowls.  Plastic water bottles.  I'm not a fan of those but I think they are fine for this kind of thing.

For instance, bring a big fruit salad and have it for breakfast with assorted cheeses.  Make coffee but don't cook anything else.

Lunch is sandwiches and salads.

Dinner is where you cook.  Bring frozen homemade soups, canned or frozen spaghetti sauce, frozen chili, a couple packages of steaks you can just saute or barbeque, and the means to fry fish that you might accidentally catch, LOL.  Then you have one pot for reheating or frying, and another for making noodles, rice, or polenta, some cooking and eating utensils, and that's it.  Or cheesey bread wrapped in foil and baked on the barbeque.  Or bring canned or frozen refried beans, jarred chopped tomatoes, packages of shredded cheese and tortillas, and some kind of taco seasoning mix, along with a lb of ground beef.  For that meal, you brown the meat with the seasoning, warm up the beans, and voila, you have tacos.  You could even bring those taco shells, although they tend to break in transit.  

You'll want store cookies for this, I think, because they tend to be more durable than homemade ones--Fig Newtons, Ginger-Os, Grandma's Oatmeal Cookies, that kind of thing.  Granola bars, those little bags of carrot sticks or apples slices, and the small Bonbel cheeses are great for hiking, although you can certainly let people pack their own sandwiches.

All I'm saying is, plan this in advance, thinking through what is easy and good to eat, and bring that kind of stuff along.

ETA:  Also, write out the menus in advance.  Less to think about when you're there, and it makes it easier to, for instance, save the apples for Friday's salad.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 3

Dh can and will tell them to step up and knock the crap off, but it will still be all my fault, as I am the wicked witch of the west.

If this was going to happen no matter what I did, I would do what makes it easiest on me, even if they hate it.   Or I would just leave them home.

I was going to suggest taking things that can be eaten cold and doing one one-pot meal. That's how we camp. Pasta and tomato sauce, eaten straight out of the pot. Bread, cheese and veggies during the day. Instant oatmeal for breakfast. I cook plenty yummy food at home; camping is not a time for culinary feats.

Your step kids are not little and do not need to be fed - they are perfectly capable of organizing their own meals.

Do the camping the way YOU want to do it. Do NOT feel responsible for catering to the family - this is as much your vacation as theirs. If they have higher expectations, they are old enough to fulfill them. Announce cheerfully your plan for meals: pb, apples, tortillas, simple no-prep stuff. You can offer to throw some groceries in the cart at the store if they want to cook something else.

I agree with this.  Let your dh deal with the step-kids, make plans that will help YOU enjoy it.  

• Like 1

If you look at the scout resources, you will find plenty of one pots. What we do for our lazy adults is announce which cooler is theirs and where their pot is. We cook for ourselves when ready. If they want to do theirs at the same time, they can. Do things like foil packs and hot dogs where each is responsible for their own meal and easy cleanup. Leave their trash by their tent if they won't clean up after themselves.

And don't pack for them. Running out of TP will be their responsibility.

I wouldn't do it, sorry, esp if the step kids are adults. I would offer 3 options, and DH gets to pick one:

1) Everyone helps with the work, jobs  and meals assigned ahead of time.

2) You don't go, but DH and step kids can.

3) Do something more full service.

That's it. Otherwise it's going to be miserable for you.

• Like 9

Don't go.

Or, if you do, have food be entirely finger food and edible raw things like carrots, celery, apples, oranges, cheese, nuts, trail mix, dried fruit, (maybe cans of salmon or tuna or sardines, but maybe not due to mess factor), crackers, granola bars, bread, jars of peanut butter, nutella etc. ... things that would store pretty well in a cooler and not take any cooking at all, and no dishes either, maybe one knife at most and a roll of paper towels for clean up and to serve as "dishes".  

Let the others know in advance, and if they want to do a cooked meal or campfire meal, tell them to handle it entirely from packing the stuff needed to prep to complete clean-up.

• Like 4

Why not do a day trip instead of camping? A compromise needs to be made between spending time with adult-non-cooperative kids and the inconvenience it causes you. So, go for a day trip now with packed sandwiches etc for the day. Then go again for a day trip to the beach with packed food. If I were you, I would only go on long vacations with my DS given that the others are more involved in electronics than in camping.

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 5

So, is the main issue that the adult step kids are, in addition to being selfish and lazy, not really all that interested in going? But DH wants to pull everyone together at times?

Because if so, then I reiterate, you have to carve out some fun for yourself while accepting a less than ideal situation. You're going to be better company if you are having some fun and not just feeling resentful the whole time. (if you need to justify this to DH) (Though fundamentally, you shouldn't have to justify this to him--just do it--carve out some fun for yourself, don't be sulky about it, just calmly enjoy yourself. Maybe others will surprise you by opting in. Hey, it works for toddlers.) Here is how to save time in cooking and cleanup--

Do a lot of it in advance, bring frozen food along, and minimize the need for heating things up and washing things. Use Chinette plates and bowls. Plastic water bottles. I'm not a fan of those but I think they are fine for this kind of thing.

For instance, bring a big fruit salad and have it for breakfast with assorted cheeses. Make coffee but don't cook anything else.

Dinner is where you cook. Bring frozen homemade soups, canned or frozen spaghetti sauce, frozen chili, a couple packages of steaks you can just saute or barbeque, and the means to fry fish that you might accidentally catch, LOL. Then you have one pot for reheating or frying, and another for making noodles, rice, or polenta, some cooking and eating utensils, and that's it. Or cheesey bread wrapped in foil and baked on the barbeque. Or bring canned or frozen refried beans, jarred chopped tomatoes, packages of shredded cheese and tortillas, and some kind of taco seasoning mix, along with a lb of ground beef. For that meal, you brown the meat with the seasoning, warm up the beans, and voila, you have tacos. You could even bring those taco shells, although they tend to break in transit.

You'll want store cookies for this, I think, because they tend to be more durable than homemade ones--Fig Newtons, Ginger-Os, Grandma's Oatmeal Cookies, that kind of thing. Granola bars, those little bags of carrot sticks or apples slices, and the small Bonbel cheeses are great for hiking, although you can certainly let people pack their own sandwiches.

All I'm saying is, plan this in advance, thinking through what is easy and good to eat, and bring that kind of stuff along.

ETA: Also, write out the menus in advance. Less to think about when you're there, and it makes it easier to, for instance, save the apples for Friday's salad.

The adult step kids want to go, but they are lazy and do not actually help. They don't help at home, in a rental house, in an air bnb, in an rv, in another country, or in a box with a fox...

I am thinking of packing my own meals and letting everyone else figure their own crap out. I can walk away from a dirty kitchen and pick up all screens and tods them into my backpack and go for a hike.

To your ETA: I will admit that while I can excel in some areas, I cannot for the life of me wrap my brain around writing out menus and meals. ETA: Not getting meal and menu planning actually really bothers me. For whatever reason my brain just does not work like that.

Edited by Χά�ων
  • Like 1

So, is the main issue that the adult step kids are, in addition to being selfish and lazy, not really all that interested in going?  But DH wants to pull everyone together at times?

Because if so, then I reiterate, you have to carve out some fun for yourself while accepting a less than ideal situation.  You're going to be better company if you are having some fun and not just feeling resentful the whole time.  (if you need to justify this to DH)  (Though fundamentally, you shouldn't have to justify this to him--just do it--carve out some fun for yourself, don't be sulky about it, just calmly enjoy yourself.  Maybe others will surprise you by opting in.  Hey, it works for toddlers.)  Here is how to save time in cooking and cleanup--

Do a lot of it in advance, bring frozen food along, and minimize the need for heating things up and washing things.  Use Chinette plates and bowls.  Plastic water bottles.  I'm not a fan of those but I think they are fine for this kind of thing.

For instance, bring a big fruit salad and have it for breakfast with assorted cheeses.  Make coffee but don't cook anything else.

Dinner is where you cook.  Bring frozen homemade soups, canned or frozen spaghetti sauce, frozen chili, a couple packages of steaks you can just saute or barbeque, and the means to fry fish that you might accidentally catch, LOL.  Then you have one pot for reheating or frying, and another for making noodles, rice, or polenta, some cooking and eating utensils, and that's it.  Or cheesey bread wrapped in foil and baked on the barbeque.  Or bring canned or frozen refried beans, jarred chopped tomatoes, packages of shredded cheese and tortillas, and some kind of taco seasoning mix, along with a lb of ground beef.  For that meal, you brown the meat with the seasoning, warm up the beans, and voila, you have tacos.  You could even bring those taco shells, although they tend to break in transit.  

You'll want store cookies for this, I think, because they tend to be more durable than homemade ones--Fig Newtons, Ginger-Os, Grandma's Oatmeal Cookies, that kind of thing.  Granola bars, those little bags of carrot sticks or apples slices, and the small Bonbel cheeses are great for hiking, although you can certainly let people pack their own sandwiches.

ETA:  Also, write out the menus in advance.  Less to think about when you're there, and it makes it easier to, for instance, save the apples for Friday's salad.

I generally agree, but would suggest keeping the foods and clean up needed way more simple.  Everything to be grab it yourself finger foods or make it yourself sandwich, no cooking, no dishes.

Okay. Maybe some packs of hotdogs can go along and be stuck on a stick and held over campfire.  Then plopped into a bun, so still no dishes etc.

Nothing that needs a fork and plate or bowl to eat though.  (Unless you need it yourself.)  I'd not even go with any coffee unless you or dh need it. Otherwise, just water.

Don't go.

Or, if you do, have food be entirely finger food and edible raw things like carrots, celery, apples, oranges, cheese, nuts, trail mix, dried fruit, (maybe cans of salmon or tuna or sardines, but maybe not due to mess factor), crackers, granola bars, bread, jars of peanut butter, nutella etc. ... things that would store pretty well in a cooler and not take any cooking at all, and no dishes either, maybe one knife at most and a roll of paper towels for clean up and to serve as "dishes".

Let the others know in advance, and if they want to do a cooked meal or campfire meal, tell them to handle it entirely from packing the stuff needed to prep to complete clean-up.

I am pretty sure step kids will not be able to figure out what the need or even take steps to figure it out. Which is going to make me sound like an @$$, I am going to make them fogure it out on their own. I will be responsible for smores and food for myself. DS will need some help, but more along the lines of understand that even though he is a growing teen, that he really does not need to pack an entire grocery store for a long weekend... Oh and that he actually has to take clean clothes with him.

• Like 4

Easy menu planning (this is all I meant):

Monday

--Breakfast--Dry cereal, milk, coffee.  (so you bring the stuff for that)

--Lunch--Fruit salad (bring along frozen fruits plus some bananas to add at the last minute), Sandwiches (bring bread and deli cheese/meat).  Fig newtons for dessert.

--Dinner--Chili (bring frozen chili along), Cheesy bread (bring sourdough bread, butter, garlic powder, and packaged shredded cheese)

That's it--it enables you to do your shopping and meal prep BEFORE THE TRIP, so it frees up a ton of time when you're there.

Basically you just picture each day and make sure you have something available for each meal, plus some extras.

Add in some fun stuff, like an ice cream making ball to kick around if you're so inclined, or s'mores stuff.

You don't have to get all complex.  You just have to imagine the day progressing and figure out how much of what you need to do can be done in advance of the trip, plus what to bring along.

• Like 1

Easy menu planning (this is all I meant):

Monday

--Breakfast--Dry cereal, milk, coffee. (so you bring the stuff for that)

--Lunch--Fruit salad (bring along frozen fruits plus some bananas to add at the last minute), Sandwiches (bring bread and deli cheese/meat). Fig newtons for dessert.

--Dinner--Chili (bring frozen chili along), Cheesy bread (bring sourdough bread, butter, garlic powder, and packaged shredded cheese)

That's it--it enables you to do your shopping and meal prep BEFORE THE TRIP, so it frees up a ton of time when you're there.

Basically you just picture each day and make sure you have something available for each meal, plus some extras.

Add in some fun stuff, like an ice cream making ball to kick around if you're so inclined, or s'mores stuff.

You don't have to get all complex. You just have to imagine the day progressing and figure out how much of what you need to do can be done in advance of the trip, plus what to bring along.

Really, even something this simply seems to evade my ability to grasp. I tend to overthink and make everything harder than it needs to be.

• Like 1

I am pretty sure step kids will not be able to figure out what the need or even take steps to figure it out. Which is going to make me sound like an @$$, I am going to make them fogure it out on their own. I will be responsible for smores and food for myself. DS will need some help, but more along the lines of understand that even though he is a growing teen, that he really does not need to pack an entire grocery store for a long weekend... Oh and that he actually has to take clean clothes with him.

What about your dh?

Maybe you could text or email a suggested camping gear list to everyone-- which exist online, I believe.  My ds got one for his youth corps camp trip last summer.  He refused to help pack, so I did if for him last year. Then he complained when he got home because I packed the basics on the list, nothing more, while others had extra stuff. I told him if he wants to go this year he has to do his own packing. He said something like, "How would I do that?" as if sticking stuff he wants in a duffle would be way beyond him. Seriously, Dude?  I said, "Well, you'd take the list and follow it, plus adding some more stuff like other kids had that you ended up wishing you'd had too."  He said, "Oh," like it was a total revelation to him.

• Like 1

Ack, sorry! Can he tell them it's your vacation, too, and nobody who isn't willing to pull his or her own weight may come? (Maybe they won't want to. For added incentive, tell them electronics must be left at home so you can fully experience nature.) Then give them suggestions and let them fend for themselves. OK, I know that's probably pure fantasy. I just feel awful that you can't count on them to behave nicely about it.

• Like 1

If the step kids want to go, why? Do they actually like camping? is there an activity with their dad they like that you do camping? What do they do on such trips that they look forward to. 

Does dh really want the whole family together? You said step kids were adults. Maybe dh should take all the kids somewhere for a long weekend and leave you to enjoy a weekend alone. If they happen to go camping in a place you like to be without you let them go. Let them figure out how to do it without you. 

You described a no fun painful experience where everyone is crabby at the end. Not really part of family bonding. 

Besides figuring out how you personally would approach camping, it might help to figure out what the motivation for the adult kids is to be there. If they just want to spend time with dad, maybe there's another way to do that. 

• Like 1

Provided for breakfast: boiling water and various packages (instant oatmeal, tea bags, sugar, dry milk, instant coffee).

Provided for lunch: breads and spreads (butter, mayo, pb, jam), proceeded cheese, deli meat, vegetables, fruits, powdered drink mix.

Provided for supper: a one-pot meal for some days, or hot dogs, buns and fixings on other days.

Provided snacks: nuts, dry fruit, crackers, cookies, marshmallows.

• Like 1

What about your dh?

Maybe you could text or email a suggested camping gear list to everyone-- which exist online, I believe. My ds got one for his youth corps camp trip last summer. He refused to help pack, so I did if for him last year. Then he complained when he got home because I packed the basics on the list, nothing more, while others had extra stuff. I told him if he wants to go this year he has to do his own packing. He said something like, "How would I do that?" as if sticking stuff he wants in a duffle would be way beyond him. Seriously, Dude? I said, "Well, you'd take the list and follow it, plus adding some more stuff like other kids had that you ended up wishing you'd had too." He said, "Oh," like it was a total revelation to him.

DH knows how to pack.

What about your dh?

Maybe you could text or email a suggested camping gear list to everyone-- which exist online, I believe. My ds got one for his youth corps camp trip last summer. He refused to help pack, so I did if for him last year. Then he complained when he got home because I packed the basics on the list, nothing more, while others had extra stuff. I told him if he wants to go this year he has to do his own packing. He said something like, "How would I do that?" as if sticking stuff he wants in a duffle would be way beyond him. Seriously, Dude? I said, "Well, you'd take the list and follow it, plus adding some more stuff like other kids had that you ended up wishing you'd had too." He said, "Oh," like it was a total revelation to him.

Re: Texting or email packing list suggestions. I have done something very very similar for the step kids about stuff that is far more important to their lives and they have ignored it.

At this point, knowing they have camped their entire lives and obviously are well aquainted to the internet, I figure between this and being old enough to legally drink they are old enough to google a packing list for camping.

• Like 4

I go camping every year at the beach, not because I love camping, but because I can afford a beachside campsite, but not an ocean front hotel room. 

We only go three or four days. I get sites with electric and water. We camp at a state park, which is nice, but right outside the park entrance is busy crowded resort/military town (VA Beach). I pack an ice chest. I will put in cut veggie, fruit, boiled eggs, yogurt, chicken breast or lunch meat, cheese. I will plan on replenishing ice daily from the camp store. I pack a case or so of seltzer which we will drink warm if room in the cooler is not available. I will refridgerate one case before I leave, so the first day/night the seltzer is still cool. 

The day of arrival, we eat food I made at home. We set up camp, go swim and eat a picnic dinner. 

The remaining days we likely eat one meal out. We have breakfast of plain yogurt, cereal and fruit. Sometimes I pack a small burner and make oatmeal in the morning. The other meal will be a plate of crackers with veggies and various meat and cheese, or sandwiches (I might bring squirt mayonaise in the cooler to make sandwich assembly easier). 

I use paper towels, paper plates, some recyclable things. I will bring a small cutting board, knife, bowl and spoon to prep and a small bottle of dish soap. 

So, if you don't plan cooked meals you can do this. 

We make a campfire, but just for fun not so much for cooking. If you want cooked meals one easy clean up thing is foil wraps with cubed potatoes and meat and other stuff (this is often a scout thing). Everyone has their own foil they fill and put in to cook. 

It's just me dd (19) and younger ds (15 with disabilities). We plan on reading, playing games and doing the nature trails as well as the beach. But there is time for dd to play with her phone and ds to plug in his portable dvd player and get a dose of spongebob. 

First Landing?

We're headed there at the end of June and I've never been.  Our nationals for dance is in VBeach and I just couldn't stand the idea of a week in a hotel room.  Plus, an entire week at the campground cost less than one night in a nicer hotel.  Hard to beat that!  

If the step kids want to go, why? Do they actually like camping? is there an activity with their dad they like that you do camping? What do they do on such trips that they look forward to.

Does dh really want the whole family together? You said step kids were adults. Maybe dh should take all the kids somewhere for a long weekend and leave you to enjoy a weekend alone. If they happen to go camping in a place you like to be without you let them go. Let them figure out how to do it without you.

You described a no fun painful experience where everyone is crabby at the end. Not really part of family bonding.

Besides figuring out how you personally would approach camping, it might help to figure out what the motivation for the adult kids is to be there. If they just want to spend time with dad, maybe there's another way to do that.

They want to go, I did not ask why. They camped almost every weekend growing up and I think they enjoy it. DH does want us all to go.

What do they do? Well DH enjoys hiking, sketching, fishing, and just enjoying nature. The step kids? I am not sure what theu enjoy, what they do is stare at screens. One will go with DH on a hike, but they have no iniative beyond staring at screens.

I have debated (and still am!) staying home. I enjoy camping, just not stress.

• Like 1

You said a long weekend, right?  So 3-4 days?  I'd go with bolt's list below, plus some chips and a couple cans of stuff like Hormel chili or Chef Boyardee ravioli (those can be the one-pot meal, or they can be on offer for anyone who wants them in addition or instead of whatever else).  No need to make fruit salad or taco meat or your own soup or chili, unless there are dietary considerations that require scratch meals.  Go for as easy-on-you as humanly possible.  Kids don't want to wash dishes, let them eat the chili cold with a plastic spoon straight out of the can.  Or they can survive on granola bars and apples if they want.  Or even just cookies.  Whatever, not your problem.

Provided for breakfast: boiling water and various packages (instant oatmeal, tea bags, sugar, dry milk, instant coffee).

Provided for lunch: breads and spreads (butter, mayo, pb, jam), proceeded cheese, deli meat, vegetables, fruits, powdered drink mix.

Provided for supper: a one-pot meal for some days, or hot dogs, buns and fixings on other days.

Provided snacks: nuts, dry fruit, crackers, cookies, marshmallows.

I'd also aim for as few items needing refrigeration as possible.  Freezing water bottles before you go lets them do double duty - they'll keep your coldcuts cold and you'll still have cool water bottles two days later without needing ice (or at least not as much).  Plan to eat the cold stuff (meat & cheese, etc.) first, saving PB sandwiches and the like for the later days.

If they are adults leave them behind.  If they want to come then they have to pitch in and not bicker.  Or they can each go get their own campsites, set up and run their own camps, and do all of the work themselves.

The adult step kids want to go, but they are lazy and do not actually help. They don't help at home, in a rental house, in an air bnb, in an rv, in another country, or in a box with a fox...

I am thinking of packing my own meals and letting everyone else figure their own crap out. I can walk away from a dirty kitchen and pick up all screens and tods them into my backpack and go for a hike.

To your ETA: I will admit that while I can excel in some areas, I cannot for the life of me wrap my brain around writing out menus and meals. ETA: Not getting meal and menu planning actually really bothers me. For whatever reason my brain just does not work like that.

If you truly want planned menus (speaking generally, not camping) but can't wrap your brain around planning them then look into the services offered online that do exactly that.  There are many you can subscribe to that will email you a weekly menu, complete with a grocery shopping list.  Planning done.  (Fresh20 and Dinner Diva--a.k.a. Saving Dinner -- are two you could google.)

Don't want to pay for a subscription?  A lot of these subscription services also sell actual planned menu books.  Google online to find one you think you might like to see, then go ask your library for it.  If they don't have it you can request an Inter-Library Loan (ILL).  If coming through ILL it might take a few weeks, but it's a great way to try it out for free.

They want to go, I did not ask why. They camped almost every weekend growing up and I think they enjoy it. DH does want us all to go.

What do they do? Well DH enjoys hiking, sketching, fishing, and just enjoying nature. The step kids? I am not sure what theu enjoy, what they do is stare at screens. One will go with DH on a hike, but they have no iniative beyond staring at screens.

I have debated (and still am!) staying home. I enjoy camping, just not stress.

I love camping, but would HATE camping with stress like you're describing!

But if you decide to go, I think I would plan on a solo vacation afterwards to recover.....

Anne