Menu

What is your percentage of property tax?

DawnM

Just curious what your state/county/city combined charges for property tax are.

Ours are right at/around 1% of the value of our home per property assessments (done every few years.)

I am curious particularly if there are areas that are even less.  

I know there are higher!

1%. Not capped; based on appraisals.  However, my county has a homeowners exemption: if the owner actually resides in the home, then it's half a percent.

We pay 1.08 and it does get reassessed over time.  We got a 15,000 increase in market value this year though actually our house would sell for more than their view of market since they don't actually go in people's homes and for some odd reason, they think our house is smaller than it is.  The only addition made since it was built other than maybe the pool which they do assess separately is our sunroom. So I have no idea why they think it is a smaller home but whatever.  They also don't assess the improvements to our lot other than the pool so all of our extensive decking and large patio and other such features don't count. We have either 11 more years or 12 more years before we pay a lot less in taxes because they fall a lot when you are a senior citizen.  But then who knows if they will still be giving us those credits.

1.01%.

But the property *values* have skyrocketed, so in 1995, the property tax on our house was $4000.  By the time we sold it in 2013, it was $13,000.  That is somewhat due to a couple of tax rate increases, but also due to the fact that our house more than doubled in value in that time.  

It's nice to be in an accelerating market but not for a buyer and not for the property taxes.  It only matters if you are going to sell....and then, where are you going to BUY?

Over 6.5%

WOW.

If we had to pay 6x our current rate...our property taxes would be $48,000 this year.  

OMGoodness.  That's more than our entire INCOME.  

That's the effective rate bc our city only assesses homes at 50% of value. So it's really >13%.

Ah.  Well, it would still be a gobsmacking amount of money for us.  :0)

The problem here is that the value of houses has gone up wayyyyy faster than the income.   It especially hurts retirees who want to stay in place.  

Who plans for their property taxes to go from $3000 to $13,000 a year over 13 years when they retire and self-limit their income at age 70?  It forces established neighbors out of their homes.  I really feel for them. 

It is part of the reason we moved to a smaller house about four years ago.  But in four years, the value of the house has increased 25%, and so have the property taxes.  So we keep a low RATE but there is a TON of money flowing into the coffers.  

If property values ever tank here, the government and government programs are going to be up a stump.  Somehow, I think the assessor's office will not be as quick to reduce the property values as it has been to increase them, if property values ever tank.

Also, our rate is low, but we have no income tax, about a 10% sales tax, high car tab tax, and high telecom tax.  They get their money...

2.8%. But when we lived in a MUD District on the Northside of Houston once it was 4.5%. We now pay a lot more attention to property taxes when we buy houses. :) Sadly our homeowners insurance costs almost as much as our property taxes thanks to wind storm requirements. People think housing cost is cheap here. And it might be cheap to buy compared to other areas, but it's not cheap to stay!

Ah. Well, it would still be a gobsmacking amount of money for us. :0)

The problem here is that the value of houses has gone up wayyyyy faster than the income. It especially hurts retirees who want to stay in place.

Who plans for their property taxes to go from $3000 to $13,000 a year over 13 years when they retire and self-limit their income at age 70? It forces established neighbors out of their homes. I really feel for them.

It is part of the reason we moved to a smaller house about four years ago. But in four years, the value of the house has increased 25%, and so have the property taxes. So we keep a low RATE but there is a TON of money flowing into the coffers.

If property values ever tank here, the government and government programs are going to be up a stump. Somehow, I think the assessor's office will not be as quick to reduce the property values as it has been to increase them, if property values ever tank.

Also, our rate is low, but we have no income tax, about a 10% sales tax, high car tab tax, and high telecom tax. They get their money...

The thing is, our city can increase our home's assessed value, increase the tax rate and increase the percentage.

So say now a house would sell for $100,000. For tax purposes, it's $50,000 so 0.13 x 50K.

Theoretically, they could bump all 3 numbers...house worth $125K, assess at 55% of value and rate goes up to 13.75%.

We have state income tax and almost 9% sales tax.

Edited by unsinkable

The average in Idaho is a bit under 1%, .008. It varies, there is an exemption of the first $100,000 with a formula so people with more expensive houses pay a higher rate and people with a cheaper house pay a lower rate. There is no exemption for rental homes, I think that percentage is around 1.2%.

Illinois was one of the highest places we lived, the nationwide average is around 1% but Illinois was over 2% I think. Most places we have lived were around 1%.

The tax rates in our house (in IL) are about 9.7%, but the assessed value is about 1/3 of the sale price of the house. So I guess that's more like 3.3%.

ETA: The assessed value doesn't have anything to do with the sale price - it just happens to be around a third.  The assessed value fluctuates some each year and I have no idea what it is based on.

Edited by forty-two

1.98% for my county, but I live in a mobile home on a rented lot, so I pay Privilege Tax on the house, not property tax.

The next county over is 2.4%; we will stay in our county, tyvm...

Edit: State income tax is 3.75%.

State sales tax is 6.25%, with my county adding on 1.5%, so 7.75% total (I think groceries and medicine are exempted from this).

Edited by beckyjo

Ends up at about .6%.  It was MUCH higher in Texas.  We were shocked at how much more house we could afford because of the lower property tax rates in Colorado.  Property insurance is lower also, even though we are in a fire area.

ETA sales tax about 7.65 and state income tax about 5% in practice.

Edited by goldberry