Menu

Blankets for bunk beds

LucyStoner

Is there a place I can get reasonably priced comforters or quilts intended to be used with bunk or loft beds where all the extra width doesn't hang down?

No, I do not make their beds every day or expect them to, I would like them to be able to just smooth out the top layer without wrestling with the sides to tuck them. They are both on loft beds about 5 feet tall now, like these ones linked below, but with no twin bed down below, and the desks facing inwards so they each have their own little nook.

http://www.bunkbeds.net/american-woodcrafters-crossroads-student-twin-loft-bed-2481.html

Their bedding, and especially their quilts, are getting worn beyond reason anyways so I am planning to hunt down new bedding for them anyways in the next couple of months.

Heck, I could use a zippered pocket on my bedding for my retainer. :p (referencing the infomercial style video on the link in the above post).  

It is embarrassing how often my retainer and night guard vanish. Presently doing the "replace or will it turn up" mental math on that darn night guard.

Edited by LucyStoner

My mother actually bought a double size down quilt, sewed it down the middle in two lines, and then cut it between the two lines to make two separate quilts.  That worked perfectly for bunk beds.

Now that I think of it, it could have been a queen size.  You could check measurements and see what works.

• Like 3

How about a twin sized duvet in a cover? It eliminates the need for a top sheet. In the morning, fold it in half & lay it on the bed sideways. It's the perfect size not to hang over & the pillow is left uncovered. My son does not have a loft bed, but this is how he makes his twin bed. (It's actually how we make all the beds in the house.)

Kind of like this photo shows. Or this one.

When we had bunks, my friend taught me a great trick to keep them made. Hope I can explain this clearly.

She placed the top sheet and bedspread so that about 3-4 inches were available to tuck down on the wall side.

On the out facing side, she tucked all remaining length under the mattress and also tucked in at the foot.

When the kid gets out of bed, he only has to pull the covers up and tuck the tiny bit into the space between mattress and wall.

This worked great for her, and for me too!

• Like 1

My favorite way was a combination of two ideas already mentioned by J-Rap and Stacia:

Split and hem a queen-sized comforter, for slightly narrower than usual twin blankets.

Then sew a duvet cover that buttons, so that the sheet is on the outside of the blanket and attached to it? Does that make sense? Like a pillowcase. And then they only have to pull up and spread one cover.

I don't like the look of having it folded in half as a pp showed, but since it's narrower, it doesn't hang down too far.

• Like 1

I am guessing if they don't hang down at all when no child is in the bed that with a child in the bed, it might not offer full coverage. Just a thought.

There is nowhere for them to hang, because of the (very needed) side rails and the design of the bed.  Instead, they just puddle and twist.  

My kids like tied fleece blankets.  You can buy yardage at Joanns (or any fabric store) and cut the width to whatever you prefer.  Just leave enough extra width/length to make the ties.

Tied fleece is so cute.  Unfortunately, my sons run really hot and need all cotton bedding.  

I know the duvets my mom used in Sweden fit perfectly within the rails of the bunk bed. They didn't hang over and they worked just fine.

If you sew at all I like the idea of a larger quilt sewed in two lines down the middle then cut in half.

• Like 1

I have friends who used those indoor sleeping bags on their kids' bunk beds.  That way although they were narrow, the kids didn't end up uncovered.  Indoor sleeping bags are pretty light--they are intended for sleepovers, not for sleeping outside or in a tent.

We use sleeping bags on the bunks in our RV. We have heavier ones for cooler weather and use liners (which are pretty much the same as indoor sleeping bags). In warmer weather we just use the liners themselves as our sleeping bag. I keep a matching sheet over the bunk mattresses. When we get up we zip up the sleeping bag, smooth it out and it looks tidy. Amazon has a lot of sleeping bag liners/sleep sacks in cotton, fleece, silky type fabric, etc.

You could go the other way and get a full sized comforter, then secure the excess under the mattress on the wall side. Or an extra long twin and secure it at the feet. If you can keep one side in place you should be able to just flip up the covers to make the bed.. I couldn't hack anything secured at my feet, but the side wouldn't bug me.

If it works for them it's great.

I can't stand even tucked in top sheets--my bedding needs to be free and my feet prefer to stick out, so I would go crazy with something attached.

You and I are the same. I kick free of any tucked bedding (which drives my husband insane). OTOH, the boys like the snug feeling. I assume it's a sensory thing.

My kids hated top sheets when they were young enough to have bunk beds. They really only used one cover. So I bought cute fitted bottom sheets and each morning they folded their blankets and straightened their pillows. Blankets were placed either at the foot of the bed or beneath the pillow.

And by "blanket," I don't even mean a full size bed blanket. A larger throw was big enough. A lighter one for summer, a heavier one for cooler months.

Edited by Seasider

They make bunkbed bedding which has fitted corners at the foot of the bed. We got ours eons ago, and I think they work well. I don't remember where we got ours, but here is a place I found that sells them  http://www.blanketwarehouse.com/100-cotton-flannel-bunkbed-comforter.html  Maybe you could do a google search using the term bunkbed bedding or bunkbed comfortor?

The universal loft bed dilemma.

We did duvets and no top sheets for years, just pulled them up and straightened. We used IKEA, I think. I still felt they were puddling too much though, and I had a friend make a blanket. She sells them anyway, at shows, so she just did a custom, thinner one for us. Thinner width, not weight.

We also had a brief sleeping bag stint.

Tell us what you find?

• Like 1

• 3 years later...