Menu

Can you guys help me name my baby girl?

Meadowlark

Yeah, almost all English speakers automatically turn a vowel in a non-stressed syllable into a schwa, so Elise is usually Uh-LEASE, not 'Eh". So maybe you don't have to worry about the spelling...?

It's interesting, though because I say all such names with a long E sound. My friend's son is named "Elias" and I pronounce it "Ee-LIE-us." She doesn't pronounce it way, though; she uses the schwa sound.

I don't say, Uh-liz-uh-beth, either. I say ee-LIZ-uh-beth.

Alice?  Alicia?  

Had friends who gave their baby girl a "placeholder" name of Virginia until they could decide on a permanent name (turned out to be Miranda).  They had to live with Baby Girl for a couple months to know who she was meant to be.

Edited by JFSinIL

Names that I like are Violet, Noelle, Scarlett, Chloe...he suggested Edith and Vivian.

I like Edith. How about Aviva? Sounds a lot like Vivian, but a bit more modern, at least to me.

That made me go "hmm"...because although I don't mind a bit trendy, I don't want there to be 3 Violet's in her class.

Very reasonable. The only nickname I can think of for Violet is Vi, anyway.

I heard a little 3 year old named Isis the other day. Horrifying.

Isis has been a girl's name for quite some time, long before the rise of IS. It's the name of an Egyptian deity,

It was rising in popularity as a name up until the political group became more well-known, then it made a sudden decline over the last couple of years.

It's interesting, though because I say all such names with a long E sound. My friend's son is named "Elias" and I pronounce it "Ee-LIE-us." She doesn't pronounce it way, though; she uses the schwa sound.

I don't say, Uh-liz-uh-beth, either. I say ee-LIZ-uh-beth.

LOL, that's why I was sure to say almost all. :)   I schwa all of those...  

Do you not schwa other non-accented syllables, or is it just the 'names starting with E' category?  Is there a particular region of the country, I wonder, where that's a more common pronunciation?  

Marigold

This was my first thought and remains my favorite within your parameters. ðŸ˜

Flora

And this would have been my other suggestion. ðŸ˜

As to Violet, it was #50 on the Social Security name popularity list for 2015, with 4,779 little Violets born. It's been steadily on the rise. In 2000, it was #734. If you go to the site you can also look at popularity by state to see what's popular in your area.

Congratulations!!

Oh, just thought of another:

Marguerite

LOL, that's why I was sure to say almost all. :) I schwa all of those...

Do you not schwa other non-accented syllables, or is it just the 'names starting with E' category? Is there a particular region of the country, I wonder, where that's a more common pronunciation?

I think it's just initial E names. I also don't think it's regional so much as my own speech quirk. I just personally think "Uh-LIE-us" is not that attractive-sounding. 😇 I like it with the "Ee" sound.

A name like Alanna or Alyssa, I would say with a schwa; I wouldn't say "Ay-LISS-uh."

I was just thinking about Sage, though it strikes me as a slightly more "boy" name.

Briar isn't half bad either, though I have that same thought.

I do like Clementine... especially since most people seem to no longer associate it with that song.

Fern, maybe, but it's only one syllable.

Alyssa and Angelica are also plants. I'm a bit stuck on the theme, lol!

Pansy is nice.

Aster

Dahlia

Myrtle (did I already suggest this?)

Tansy, which can be short for Constance (my own given name, which is how I know that!)

Rue

I like PP's suggestion of Heather and Willow but also Rosemarie or even better Rose-Marie mainly because it sounds cute with Lila, Ivy, and Rose-Marie.

If you go with the latter, you'll be creating sibling rivalry. Come kindergarten when poor, little Rose-Marie must learn to write her name, she's going to wonder why you loved Lila and Ivy better. :p Don't do it to the poor girl. A nine letter name takes *hours and hours and hours* to write when you are four. 

Well, we've been talking about names every night, much of the time reverting back here for ideas.

Wow, maybe it's because I've done this 6 times, or maybe I'm just a big grump, but I rarely see a name that I like. I know, it's me. You all have suggested many lovely names but nothing seems to fit, sound right, etc.  OR maybe I kind of have my heart stuck on Violet, and so am subconsciously pushing everything else away.

We both liked Elise, or Alise, or Alyce, but I don't want her to have to have to spell her name her whole life or have it mispronounced. Plus, I can't decide if it's classic or just 80's. (figured out it was the mom from Family Ties with that name). Dh doesn't like Noelle at ALL. The only hangup I'm having with Violet is that it's pretty trendy here, and I never wanted that. However, I can't say I personally know any Violet's, but I have a feeling they'll be popping up as I saw 3 just in our town's baby section last month. I guess if I love it, who cares right? Ah, idk. 

At any rate, I'll let you all know what we decide. Thanks so much!

Well, we've been talking about names every night, much of the time reverting back here for ideas.

Wow, maybe it's because I've done this 6 times, or maybe I'm just a big grump, but I rarely see a name that I like. I know, it's me. You all have suggested many lovely names but nothing seems to fit, sound right, etc.  OR maybe I kind of have my heart stuck on Violet, and so am subconsciously pushing everything else away.

We both liked Elise, or Alise, or Alyce, but I don't want her to have to have to spell her name her whole life or have it mispronounced. Plus, I can't decide if it's classic or just 80's. (figured out it was the mom from Family Ties with that name). Dh doesn't like Noelle at ALL. The only hangup I'm having with Violet is that it's pretty trendy here, and I never wanted that. However, I can't say I personally know any Violet's, but I have a feeling they'll be popping up as I saw 3 just in our town's baby section last month. I guess if I love it, who cares right? Ah, idk. 

At any rate, I'll let you all know what we decide. Thanks so much!

I think Scarlett goes really well with Genevieve.  With that middle name Scarlett is my first choice.  But then again I chose Scarlett for my screne name so I might be partial to it.   ;)  Violet is still my first choice overall and I think it is also lovely with Genevieve.  If the only hold up on Violet is the trendiness of it, I say go for it anyway.  I think it is a beautiful name.  And it goes well with 'pen'. 

I think Scarlett goes really well with Genevieve.  With that middle name Scarlett is my first choice.  But then again I chose Scarlett for my screne name so I might be partial to it.   ;)  Violet is still my first choice overall and I think it is also lovely with Genevieve.  If the only hold up on Violet is the trendiness of it, I say go for it anyway.  I think it is a beautiful name.  And it goes well with 'pen'. 

I kind of like Scarlett too but husband wasn't fond of it. I do agree it goes well with the other girls.

I think your approval for Violet may have just sealed the deal. Thank you! :-)

• Like 1

I kind of like Scarlett too but husband wasn't fond of it. I do agree it goes well with the other girls.

I think your approval for Violet may have just sealed the deal. Thank you! :-)

I have a friend who named her daughter Nova.  I wanted her to name her Isabella which is another of my very favorite names.  Nope she wouldn't do.  LOL....Anyway, the baby is now 6 months old and I have JUST NOW got it in my mind what her name is...for some reason I kept wanting to call her Luna.  I told my friend I had trauma from her not naming her Isabella.