Menu

How to get through SAD?

Sarah CB

I think I have seasonal affective disorder. This is fairly new for me and started the year we moved here. I have lived in rainy places before and in snowy places and in places with lots of cloudy days and not a lot of sun and not had issues. I used to joke that gray was my favourite colour. I didn't mind bad weather because it was a good excuse to curl up with a book and a cup of tea.

But, this is the third February where I'm having symptoms of depression. The first year was the worst. I think I watched five seasons of Grey's anatomy and had to haul myself off the couch at the end of the day to pick up the kids. The second year I realized that it was probably SAD. This year, I'm sure it is. It hits at the same time each year. I have no reason to be depressed. 

I'm trying to do my best to get through this and am wondering if anyone else has SAD and what they do? 

I'm exercising regularly. I'm taking vitamin D, a vitamin B complex, 5HTP, a multivitamin, and magnesium. I'm making a big effort to put on make-up and wear something decent. The last couple of days I've actually worn regular boots and shoes (instead of snowboots or rainboots, which have been my daily footwear since November and are quickly becoming depressing to put on). 

I don't actually have any friends here, but could probably use a couple. I'm having my dd, her best friend, and both their boyfriends over for dinner and a ping pong tournament tonight. 

I have been on the verge of tears all day - for no reason at all. I'd really like this to stop. Does anyone have any other tips for dealing with SAD? Unfortunately, I don't think a sunny vacation is in the cards this year.

I've had SAD my entire life and it's hard to get through winter. I want to hibernate and I spend too much time sleeping and surfing the internet. Exercising, sleeping well, and eating well are good and you seem to be doing those. I crave light, so turn on the lights and open the windows. Get outside when you can.  My doctor tells me to use light therapy or at least have a full spectrum light. She also told me to get a sunrise alarm clock. Waking up to gentle light and nice sounds does seem to improve my mood for the rest of the day. I let my kids do plenty of extracurricular activities in the winter too, and one reason is because it forces me to get out of the house. I hope something helps. We're having a sunny, unseasonably warm day today and I'm happier and more productive than usual. Try to hang on until spring!

• Like 5

A friend sent me a light box this year, and it seems to be working. I mean, I suppose it could be the placebo effect, but whatevs, I don't care.

Also, try to get out during the day and have a steady, reasonable sleep schedule - up in the early morning, asleep after sunset. This is hard to do, but getting out and about in the sunlight, for a good amount of time, really does help. Even in the dim not-quite-sunlight of overcast days, it's better than being inside the house.

And for all types of depression, getting regular exercise, eating healthy foods, and having a social life helps. You say you're getting exercise, which is good. You don't say anything about diet, but I trust you know if you need to improve it. The last thing is friends. We all have different social needs, but you already pegged this as a problem. There are other people you could get along with, in your area, who are in the same boat and want more friends. The easiest thing to do is to see what is available in your community. Does your library offer talks? Is there a board game meetup? Or a quilting guild? Or a cooking class? People don't go to these things just because they like the library, and they want to play board games or quilt or cook. They do these things so they can meet people, and not just in a dating sense.

If these simple, common-sense things don't work, then it may be time to go to the doctor. Now, if you're like me, I know how this runs. You start feeling down in late fall, and it isn't until you're sobbing for no darn reason that you realize "Well, shoot, I bet this is SAD again" and at that point you don't have the energy to get help. So set a date on the calendar for this... or, if you figure that the season is almost over and you'll feel better soon, set a date on the calendar for next winter.

• Like 3

I haven't tried a light box, but I keep meaning to.  I have this problem every winter.  I feel very very lowwww.  Years ago I used t go tanning.  That didn't seem so safe, but it absolutely did help. 

Sounds like you are doing everything right.  You could try antidepressants.  I only did once because it was just so bad I couldn't function as well as I needed to.  I don't like the side effects though so I avoid it unless absolutely necessary.  It did help a lot though when I took it.

From your list, you're doing what can be done, with the exception of the light therapy Tanaqui mentions. I was using it last year and didn't notice any difference, so did not continue this winter. So it might / might not help, but is worth a try.

Being on the verge of tears was me as well several days this week. I too wish it would just stop. This week was the first time that I mentioned to my DH that it might be time to see someone, so I agree with Tanaqui's suggestion. I did wonder if the worst days are perhaps tied with a specific time of the monthly menstrual cycle, but haven't tracked it.

The social life portion can be complex, though. Friends can help, but for me as an introvert, heading out into the community and doing general activities with groups of people can be somewhat enjoyable while I'm doing the activity, but drain more energy out of me than I gain from participating in them.

Hugs from a fellow SAD. I'll be following the thread to see if there's something else out there for me too and to see how your journey is going, if you have more to share in the future.

Erica in OR

• Like 1

If tanning helped, SparklyUnicorn, maybe with you the issue is vitamin D. Taking a vitamin might solve that.

Quick explanation: Light boxes produce blue light. Tanning gives you a megadose of UV radiation so you tan - which does increase the risk of skin cancer, but also causes your body to produce vitamin D.

• Like 1

If tanning helped, SparklyUnicorn, maybe with you the issue is vitamin D. Taking a vitamin might solve that.

Quick explanation: Light boxes produce blue light. Tanning gives you a megadose of UV radiation so you tan - which does increase the risk of skin cancer, but also causes your body to produce vitamin D.

Well, I did have the level checked.  I don't know what it is, but there was no mention of needing supplements. 

I tried taking supplements in the past.  I didn't notice any difference.  So I dunno.

After dealing with it most of my life, I decided last year I couldn't deal with another winter. I take vitamin D, exercise, and try to get as much sunshine as possible,but now I take a medication (Wellbutrin) that helps with depression from SAD.

It's still there, but I have the will to fight, when I could barely get out of bed last February. Believe me I fought that decision for decades, and it was the hardest health choice I have made, but it has helped more than any other change.

• Like 1

The exercising is great, but what's been especially good for me this winter is that it's been relatively warm so that getting outside to ski/snowshoe/skate/walk has been much more pleasant than past years. I think the outdoors is the key for me, even if it's overcast, the fresh air is a great mental stimulant.

• Like 2

The exercising is great, but what's been especially good for me this winter is that it's been relatively warm so that getting outside to ski/snowshoe/skate/walk has been much more pleasant than past years. I think the outdoors is the key for me, even if it's overcast, the fresh air is a great mental stimulant.

Can't speak for the OP.  I think this would help, but where I live that's quite difficult.  I managed to take a few walks this winter and that was great, but it's rare that that is possible.  We don't get nice snow here.  It's slush or frozen solid.  I suppose ice skating would work, but I'm really not willing to ice skate.  Falling and hurting myself would be highly problematic (I can't even take IB for pain!). 

I feel dramatically different though when it's a sunnier day than when it's overcast.  It's amazing.  I can go from one day feeling like it's the end of the dang world to the next day wondering what was bugging me.  And it seems to all be connected to how sunny it is outside.

Still have to get a light box!

• Like 2

Can't speak for the OP.  I think this would help, but where I live that's quite difficult.  I managed to take a few walks this winter and that was great, but it's rare that that is possible.  We don't get nice snow here.  It's slush or frozen solid.  I suppose ice skating would work, but I'm really not willing to ice skate.  Falling and hurting myself would be highly problematic (I can't even take IB for pain!). 

I feel dramatically different though when it's a sunnier day than when it's overcast.  It's amazing.  I can go from one day feeling like it's the end of the dang world to the next day wondering what was bugging me.  And it seems to all be connected to how sunny it is outside.

You don't necessarily have to move while outside. Sit near some evergreen trees to breath in some of the smells. Maybe with a glass of wine and pretend you're at a ski chalet? ;)

• Like 1

You don't necessarily have to move while outside. Sit near some evergreen trees to breath in some of the smells. Maybe with a glass of wine and pretend you're at a ski chalet? ;)

I agree with this.  Vitamin D is no substitute for actually being outside.  It doesn't matter if you stand on your front steps and stare at a squirrel.  Just got out, absorb some meager, cloud-filtered sun rays, breathe some real air, and look for signs that the earth may come back to life one day. Start small.  Just have your coffee out there, then gradually increase your time.  If you sleep in, you might want to adjust a little so YOUR day has more light.  

I hate winter.  Even a mild winter is dark and feels like a slow sinking until spring rescues me.  Today I woke with an urge to play in the dirt and start some seeds.  So I'm puttering around with my plants, I put on my coat to get some potting soil from the shed, stepped outside . . . and that's when I realized it was 70-friggin-degrees.  I didn't even KNOW it was going to be so nice, because WHY check the weather only to be disappointed. Right?  However, my BODY seemed to know and I had a little extra spring in my step this morning.  It made sense when I stepped outside.  

Hang in there.  The days ARE getting longer now.  February is THE worst and it starts to get a bit hopeful in March.  Right now is the perfect time to plant a few tomato or flower seeds to put outside in a few months.  It'll give you an excuse to hang out near a sunny window.  I actually put seeds near my happy light, so it serves a dual purpose.  

• Like 1

Can't speak for the OP. I think this would help, but where I live that's quite difficult. I managed to take a few walks this winter and that was great, but it's rare that that is possible. We don't get nice snow here. It's slush or frozen solid. I suppose ice skating would work, but I'm really not willing to ice skate. Falling and hurting myself would be highly problematic (I can't even take IB for pain!).

I feel dramatically different though when it's a sunnier day than when it's overcast. It's amazing. I can go from one day feeling like it's the end of the dang world to the next day wondering what was bugging me. And it seems to all be connected to how sunny it is outside.

In case you haven't heard of them, Yak Trax make an enormous difference for being able to walk on icy sidewalks and trails. They are essentially tiny crampons that you slip over any shoe or boot. Lots of people wear them here--older people of course, but also runners, walkers and hikers. I'm amazed at how much easier it's been for us to get out now that we have them. Ice is no longer an excuse. And bonus--they are cheap, like $20 or $30.

• Like 1

I agree with this.  Vitamin D is no substitute for actually being outside.  It doesn't matter if you stand on your front steps and stare at a squirrel.  Just got out, absorb some meager, cloud-filtered sun rays, breathe some real air, and look for signs that the earth may come back to life one day. Start small.  Just have your coffee out there, then gradually increase your time.  If you sleep in, you might want to adjust a little so YOUR day has more light.  

I hate winter.  Even a mild winter is dark and feels like a slow sinking until spring rescues me.  Today I woke with an urge to play in the dirt and start some seeds.  So I'm puttering around with my plants, I put on my coat to get some potting soil from the shed, stepped outside . . . and that's when I realized it was 70-friggin-degrees.  I didn't even KNOW it was going to be so nice, because WHY check the weather only to be disappointed. Right?  However, my BODY seemed to know and I had a little extra spring in my step this morning.  It made sense when I stepped outside.  

Hang in there.  The days ARE getting longer now.  February is THE worst and it starts to get a bit hopeful in March.  Right now is the perfect time to plant a few tomato or flower seeds to put outside in a few months.  It'll give you an excuse to hang out near a sunny window.  I actually put seeds near my happy light, so it serves a dual purpose.  

I go out nearly every day, but does it still work if it's completely overcast and super dark?  That I wonder about.

It's so bitterly cold sometimes though that I can't tolerate standing out there for very long.  I hate winter too!

:grouphug:  Lots of great advice here about vit D, getting outside, and light therapy. I'll just throw this one out there too: is it possible to change up your vacation plans in future years now that you know February is bad for you? I'll bet that soaking up the sun on the beach during the first week or two of February would go a long way toward curing the Februaries! Even if you can't get all the way to the tropics, maybe there's a somewhat warmer and sunnier place within a day or two's drive of where you live. I know you can't always do it when you have teens in school, but maybe...?

• Like 1

I agree that vit d is no sub for getting outside but you need both in the winter.

I take 10,000 iu most days and was just tested at 40, Dr's are woefully ignorant about vit D, they don't recognize it until you are nearly dead and don't' suggest high enough supplements. Optimal levels are 50-80, I feel best at 80 and sleep soooooo much better. Never trust a Dr to catch vit deficiencies, always get your own results, there is a difference between levels that will cause irreparable harm (like rickets) and feel good and optimal, I don't want to just aim to clear the lowest bar.

I have found vit d, 10, 000 iu in the winter, every day, sublingual b12 (starting at 1,000 mcg- aiming for levels at the top of range), iron (I use bi-glycinate- 27 mg or so- aiming or a ferritin of around 60-70) and omega 3's(3000 mg a day), those have made a monumental difference for me, I used to have the worst time in the winter but now it is one of the times I feel the best(maybe because I am more religious with taking supplements).

• Like 2

I haven't read the other posts.  But my son has SAD.  Getting out in the morning sunlight for 30 minutes was recommended by his psychiatrist.  If you can't do that, using a full spectrum lamp is a good substitute.  You have to use it regularly, and sorry to say, you have to start back in the early fall in order for it to be fully effective.  20-30 minutes where it is shining indirectly into your eyes (it has to hit the pupil, but from an angle).

Make sure you take care of your circadian rhythms.  No oversleeping more than a hour.  Go to bed at a regular time and get up at a regular time every day. (This is basically impossible with small children, I know).  Try not to be on a screen before bed.  Give your brain an hour or two off screen so you can sleep better.  Read or listen to music instead.  

Exercise several times a week,  and be active physically every day.  No sedentary lounging for long periods allowed!   Eat well.  Make sure you are getting your vitamin D.  Our dr liked getting this through diet rather than supplements.  So eat your tuna and salmon and eggs! 

In case you haven't heard of them, Yak Trax make an enormous difference for being able to walk on icy sidewalks and trails. They are essentially tiny crampons that you slip over any shoe or boot. Lots of people wear them here--older people of course, but also runners, walkers and hikers. I'm amazed at how much easier it's been for us to get out now that we have them. Ice is no longer an excuse. And bonus--they are cheap, like $20 or $30.

ohh neat...never saw those

not sure the size would work out....but it might because the difference isn't huge

• Like 1

ohh neat...never saw those

not sure the size would work out....but it might because the difference isn't huge

They come in various sizes. I wear a small on my size 7 shoes/boots. DS wears only slightly larger but narrower shoes but went with a medium so he doesn't grow right out of them and it's been fine. They are really stretchy and flexible. Now that we have them I see so many people wearing them, even for walking in the neighbourhood. For us, it's meant the difference between going for walks and skipping them because of the ice. They've been a real winter game changer.

I do suggest the kind with straps, fwiw.

They come in various sizes. I wear a small on my size 7 shoes/boots. DS wears only slightly larger but narrower shoes but went with a medium so he doesn't grow right out of them and it's been fine. They are really stretchy and flexible. Now that we have them I see so many people wearing them, even for walking in the neighbourhood. For us, it's meant the difference between going for walks and skipping them because of the ice. They've been a real winter game changer.

I do suggest the kind with straps, fwiw.

yeah I'm a size 6ish..says it goes to 6.5....

Although it's usually a combo slush/ice...nastiness.  So I need some sort of waterproof shoe. 

Like today..would be a nice day for a walk.  It's sunny and not too cold, but the place to walk is the park and the trail will be covered in slush, mud, chunks of ice.  Just total yuck. 

• Like 1

yeah I'm a size 6ish..says it goes to 6.5....

Although it's usually a combo slush/ice...nastiness. So I need some sort of waterproof shoe.

Like today..would be a nice day for a walk. It's sunny and not too cold, but the place to walk is the park and the trail will be covered in slush, mud, chunks of ice. Just total yuck.

Yup. We get a lot of that too. Why can't it always be as pretty as the calendars? Lol

• Like 1

Yup. We get a lot of that too. Why can't it always be as pretty as the calendars? Lol

I know!!

You'd think I would get used to it.  I'm not.  It's just annoying.

Even if you want to take a walk through the city.  Some people don't shovel.  You have to climb over mounds of slushy snow that is taller than your body to cross the street.  It's a royal pain. 

• Like 1

I wish things would get better in March, but over where I live March tends to be horrible as well. And April, May, June, and July can also be horrible. People make funny jokes about how there is no spring here. We'll get a nice day in July and people will say, "Well, that was summer." Ha ha. Not funny.

Our first summer here was the worst July they'd had in a long time. There were days when it didn't get over 7 degrees (which, I think is 44 for most of you). The weather forecast seemed to always call for rain, drizzle, and fog. The only thing that kept me together was knowing I was leaving for BC at the end of July. It was so cold the police put out a "Missing Season Alert", which was funny and sad at the same time.

I think I may invest in a happy light. I don't do very well with growing things.

If these simple, common-sense things don't work, then it may be time to go to the doctor. Now, if you're like me, I know how this runs. You start feeling down in late fall, and it isn't until you're sobbing for no darn reason that you realize "Well, shoot, I bet this is SAD again" and at that point you don't have the energy to get help. So set a date on the calendar for this... or, if you figure that the season is almost over and you'll feel better soon, set a date on the calendar for next winter.

I think I may talk to my doctor. I need to go in soon anyway, so I might as well bring this up, too.

• Like 3

I wish things would get better in March, but over where I live March tends to be horrible as well. And April, May, June, and July can also be horrible. People make funny jokes about how there is no spring here. We'll get a nice day in July and people will say, "Well, that was summer." Ha ha. Not funny.

Our first summer here was the worst July they'd had in a long time. There were days when it didn't get over 7 degrees (which, I think is 44 for most of you). The weather forecast seemed to always call for rain, drizzle, and fog. The only thing that kept me together was knowing I was leaving for BC at the end of July. It was so cold the police put out a "Missing Season Alert", which was funny and sad at the same time.

I think I may invest in a happy light. I don't do very well with growing things.

I live in such a place.  Things are not better in March...or April...or May.  Then when summer rolls around it's extremely humid.  The weather sucks most of the time.  Summer is better in terms of amount of daylight.  That's true.  But there are many days where it's unbearable to be outside.  And then we have a lot of mosquitoes.  Outdoor stuff is problematic because of ticks... 

I've concluded I live in hell.  LOL

I can't grow a plastic plant. 

From your list, you're doing what can be done, with the exception of the light therapy Tanaqui mentions. I was using it last year and didn't notice any difference, so did not continue this winter. So it might / might not help, but is worth a try.

Being on the verge of tears was me as well several days this week. I too wish it would just stop. This week was the first time that I mentioned to my DH that it might be time to see someone, so I agree with Tanaqui's suggestion. I did wonder if the worst days are perhaps tied with a specific time of the monthly menstrual cycle, but haven't tracked it.

The social life portion can be complex, though. Friends can help, but for me as an introvert, heading out into the community and doing general activities with groups of people can be somewhat enjoyable while I'm doing the activity, but drain more energy out of me than I gain from participating in them.

Hugs from a fellow SAD. I'll be following the thread to see if there's something else out there for me too and to see how your journey is going, if you have more to share in the future.

Erica in OR

Thank you. 

I noticed that it was really bad right before my last period, but now I'm mid-way through the month and it seems just as bad - but, then I've had a couple days in a row of not enough sleep, so maybe that's it. I hate feeling this fragile.

I'm an introvert, too, and I'm pretty happy in my own company, but I think I am reaching the point where I actually need to get out and meet people. 

After dealing with it most of my life, I decided last year I couldn't deal with another winter. I take vitamin D, exercise, and try to get as much sunshine as possible,but now I take a medication (Wellbutrin) that helps with depression from SAD.

It's still there, but I have the will to fight, when I could barely get out of bed last February. Believe me I fought that decision for decades, and it was the hardest health choice I have made, but it has helped more than any other change.

It's good to know that medication can help. I feel like I'm coping better this year. That first year was difficult. I would drop the kids off at school and then go back home and stay on the couch until I had to go and pick them up again. I didn't know what was going on - I just felt completely hopeless. And then one day it was just gone and I was fine again. 

Knowing what it is has definitely helped, but I am also aware that my "control" of it is tenuous at best. Even being aware of it and eating well and taking supplements and exercising does not make it go away. 

A friend sent me a light box this year, and it seems to be working. I mean, I suppose it could be the placebo effect, but whatevs, I don't care.

Also, try to get out during the day and have a steady, reasonable sleep schedule - up in the early morning, asleep after sunset. This is hard to do, but getting out and about in the sunlight, for a good amount of time, really does help. Even in the dim not-quite-sunlight of overcast days, it's better than being inside the house.

And for all types of depression, getting regular exercise, eating healthy foods, and having a social life helps. You say you're getting exercise, which is good. You don't say anything about diet, but I trust you know if you need to improve it. The last thing is friends. We all have different social needs, but you already pegged this as a problem. There are other people you could get along with, in your area, who are in the same boat and want more friends. The easiest thing to do is to see what is available in your community. Does your library offer talks? Is there a board game meetup? Or a quilting guild? Or a cooking class? People don't go to these things just because they like the library, and they want to play board games or quilt or cook. They do these things so they can meet people, and not just in a dating sense.

I do think getting outside would help, it's just so nasty out there. It's not just the cold, it's the driving wind, the ice pellets, the slush and the ice. Ick. But, I'm sure it would help - especially on the odd sunny day. I was spending a lot of time outdoors before January hit - I walked 10,000 steps a day and ran three times a week. Now I've been driven in - I run on a track and I don't get as many steps in. The ones I do get in are on a treadmill. 

I'm going to go to a writing group this week. And we went to church this morning. I have someone I can have coffee with and may do that this week as well. I do think having somewhat of a social life would help. I'm an introvert and burnt myself out during my last years of homeschooling and running a co-op. I loved it, but it was exhausting, and I've spent the last 2.5 years being totally ok with having very little social contact. I think it's time to venture out now. 

• Like 1

I have this light box that I'd like to sell:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0094HBU6I/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1487552628&sr=8-1&keywords=Verilux%2C+Inc

It's a great light box, but I replaced it with a different device that attaches to a visor to wear.

If anyone's interested in buying it, please PM me. :)

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

These descriptions of where you guys live just make me shudder and feel really really sorry for you. I'm whining my way through Maryland winters, and this one has not been bad. It was 70 degrees today and I'm positively manic with energy over it. It's such a gift and I needed the boost. I don't know that I'd survive the North Pole, or wherever y'all live. It doesn't sound habitable for humans. You may have to force yourself to exercise to cope. Maybe join an online exercise class if your snowbound?

It's not called the Great White North for nothin'! It is really fascinating to see how immigrants from very warm climates can embrace the winter seasonal activities with enthusiasm - often more enthusiasm than those born here. Skiing and skating is hugely popular among Asian immigrants I speak to. Even if the adults aren't out there, they enroll their children in skating and skiing classes. There is definitely a lot of fun to be had in the snow and ice, and you don't have to be born in the north to enjoy it.

• Like 1

It's not called the Great White North for nothin'! It is really fascinating to see how immigrants from very warm climates can embrace the winter seasonal activities with enthusiasm - often more enthusiasm than those born here. Skiing and skating is hugely popular among Asian immigrants I speak to. Even if the adults aren't out there, they enroll their children in skating and skiing classes. There is definitely a lot of fun to be had in the snow and ice, and you don't have to be born in the north to enjoy it.

Well you call it interesting. I think they were out of their mind.

:lol:

Well you call it interesting. I think they were out of their mind.

:lol:

I do cringe a little inside when they tell me they put their child in hockey. But I can't say anything because 2 of my boys are in hockey, too. There is something "Pied Piper-ish" about that sport.  :confused1:

• Like 1

I bought a light box on Amazon and have been using it the past month as soon as I wake up in the mornings. It is helping.

I also exercise outside whenever possible, if the sun comes out for even a few minutes I do my best to go outside.

Would you mind linking to which one you bought? 

Edited by SparklyUnicorn

I do think getting outside would help, it's just so nasty out there. It's not just the cold, it's the driving wind, the ice pellets, the slush and the ice. Ick. But, I'm sure it would help - especially on the odd sunny day. I was spending a lot of time outdoors before January hit - I walked 10,000 steps a day and ran three times a week. Now I've been driven in - I run on a track and I don't get as many steps in. The ones I do get in are on a treadmill. 

I'm going to go to a writing group this week. And we went to church this morning. I have someone I can have coffee with and may do that this week as well. I do think having somewhat of a social life would help. I'm an introvert and burnt myself out during my last years of homeschooling and running a co-op. I loved it, but it was exhausting, and I've spent the last 2.5 years being totally ok with having very little social contact. I think it's time to venture out now. 

I was going to suggest a book club, but a writing group sounds great. I was also wondering if there was a community group that did activities like cross-country skiing or snowshoeing, but the weather really does sound bleak.

Edited by KathyBC

I find that a real fire makes me feel much more positive sometimes when it's nasty outside--and it's not from the warmth, either.  It has to be tended, it gives off white noise, it smells good, it engages my visual senses without being completely distracting.  There is something so cheering about it.  

Also, what about trying St. John's Wort?  That is good for mild depression, maybe it would help.

I'd try borage oil personally--that helps me a lot with PMS/peri stuff, which may be exacerbating the SAD for some.  

It's like unlayering an onion.