Menu

Turning in license plates when you cancel insurance...

J-rap

My dd is teaching abroad, and decided to cancel insurance on her old car which is sitting in our garage unused.  She researched a DMV site which I guess stated that you need to turn in your license plates to your local DMV if you cancel your insurance but still own your car.

Being a rule-follower, she asked us if we'd do that for her, which we did today (or tried!). They almost laughed their heads off when I tried turning them in.  They said in all their years, no one has ever done that, and in fact, they had never heard of it being required.  

Anyway, we all thought it was pretty funny, but I was wondering if other states are more strict about this?  Apparently our state doesn't really care!

I've never heard of that. When we pay our taxes each year we have to take proof of insurance to the DMV to get the sticker for the plate.

I knew of a guy in college who would get insurance through one of those low cost agencies that advertise on tv in the middle of the night, get the sticker for his license plate, then cancel the insurance. The big fines for being an accident without insurance would not be worth it to me. I guess he didn't think the police would run his plates as long as he had the right sticker.

• Like 1

My dd is teaching abroad, and decided to cancel insurance on her old car which is sitting in our garage unused.  She researched a DMV site which I guess stated that you need to turn in your license plates to your local DMV if you cancel your insurance but still own your car.

Being a rule-follower, she asked us if we'd do that for her, which we did today (or tried!). They almost laughed their heads off when I tried turning them in.  They said in all their years, no one has ever done that, and in fact, they had never heard of it being required.  

Anyway, we all thought it was pretty funny, but I was wondering if other states are more strict about this?  Apparently our state doesn't really care!

I've never heard of it being required, but it sounds flipping brilliant so I wish it was. Seems like it would cut way down on uninsured drivers which is a massive problem around here. Of course now, cops can just run your license plate through their software and see if you have insurance anyway, so maybe that's why no one cares in your state. 

We sold a car once and cancelled the insurance on it. They suspended my hubby's drivers license because we didn't turn in the license plates. They sent us a letter (that we didn't get) telling us that if we didn't have proof of insurance they would suspend. That was in Virginia in 1999. It took us a while to straighten it out.

• Like 1

Here, if insurance is cancelled, the state sends a nice little letter in the mail saying to get insurance, or proof you no longer have the car or it's not on the road, or they'll send the mafia after you. Or something like that.

I wonder how you'd prove it's no longer on the road, if you still have it on your property but in storage?

When we've had a car sit, we didn't cancel insurance, but had it dropped down to a storage rate. That still protects in case of theft, but doesn't carry unnecessary liability insurance when you're not driving it. It also maintains your relationship with the insurance company so you don't have to deal with higher new customer rates upon return.

• Like 3

When we've had a car sit, we didn't cancel insurance, but had it dropped down to a storage rate. That still protects in case of theft, but doesn't carry unnecessary liability insurance when you're not driving it. It also maintains your relationship with the insurance company so you don't have to deal with higher new customer rates upon return.

I am a little worried about her being charged new customer rates when she returns and begins driving it again.  I don't think our state has storage rates though.

I wonder how you'd prove it's no longer on the road, if you still have it on your property but in storage?

I had a car that was not road-worthy and sat in the driveway for over a year, without insurance. I walked in to the MVD, told them it wasn't in service, then paid a much-reduced registration fee. That was all. (If it gets caught on the road with that type registration, it does result in a ticket.) This is actually a different case than having to turn in the plate just for not having insurance. That makes no sense. What if you plan on putting the car back on the road? You have to re-register the same car to get a new plate??

• Like 1

OP, can your insurance company do a suspended policy? I took my second car off the road and the insurance company said 'Hey instead of removing it like you asked, we can just suspend the policy so that you don't get charged anything but if you come back you won't be a new customer' and I said 'yes please'

• Like 1

I had a car that was not road-worthy and sat in the driveway for over a year, without insurance. I walked in to the MVD, told them it wasn't in service, then paid a much-reduced registration fee. That was all. (If it gets caught on the road with that type registration, it does result in a ticket.) This is actually a different case than having to turn in the plate just for not having insurance. That makes no sense. What if you plan on putting the car back on the road? You have to re-register the same car to get a new plate??

Adding on to this (I'm in the same state as Renai -- Hi Renai!!)  

In our state (NM), you can't register a car without insurance.  If you drop insurance, you get a nasty postcard reminding you to register it.  If you ignore it (and don't drive it), nothing happens until you try to re-register it.  Before you re-register it, you have to re-insure it (of course), and you have to pay in arrears for all the years you missed.  Only then can you re-register it.

I didn't know there was a non-op registration option.  We have two motorcycles in the non-operation mode.  We paid storage insurance and registration for them for many years (more than 10 years) before dh realized that we'd be better off just not doing either.  If/when he decides to get them running again, we'll have to pay back-registration, but we'll have saved on the insurance premiums.  (not concerned about theft.  They're not really worth much, monetarily)

We don't have to surrender plates, though.  

• Like 1

OP, can your insurance company do a suspended policy? I took my second car off the road and the insurance company said 'Hey instead of removing it like you asked, we can just suspend the policy so that you don't get charged anything but if you come back you won't be a new customer' and I said 'yes please'

It doesn't sound like her policy/company has that option.  They do allow a storage option which is significantly reduced, but she was hoping to avoid even that (being on a very limited budget).  However, now she has discovered that if she completely cancels it, she might be charged a higher rate when restarting it again;  it sounds like that's more the norm than not.  So she'll probably just do the storage rate instead of completely cancelling it.

Adding on to this (I'm in the same state as Renai -- Hi Renai!!)  

In our state (NM), you can't register a car without insurance.  If you drop insurance, you get a nasty postcard reminding you to register it.  If you ignore it (and don't drive it), nothing happens until you try to re-register it.  Before you re-register it, you have to re-insure it (of course), and you have to pay in arrears for all the years you missed.  Only then can you re-register it.

I didn't know there was a non-op registration option.  We have two motorcycles in the non-operation mode.  We paid storage insurance and registration for them for many years (more than 10 years) before dh realized that we'd be better off just not doing either.  If/when he decides to get them running again, we'll have to pay back-registration, but we'll have saved on the insurance premiums.  (not concerned about theft.  They're not really worth much, monetarily)

We don't have to surrender plates, though.  

It sounds like it can vary quite a bit from state to state, I'm learning!

We aren't required to have insurance here, so turning in the plates when canceling insurance would never have occurred to me.

Edited because apparently I am only able to catch spelling mistakes after submitting a post, and never before.

Edited by Plink