Menu

New Year's Eve....food....what...help!

SparklyUnicorn

For NYE, we will be at my parents.  My mom is ordering pizza, plus she will have taco dip (sour cream mixed with taco seasonings, then topped with regular taco toppings like lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and olives.  Serve on a large flat tray to maximize the toppings available for everyone. ) with tortilla chips and a couple other snacky things.  When we have NYE at home we usually just do appetizer type stuff.

NYD we do corned beef and cabbage with potatoes, carrots and green beans.

I'm thinking of ordering pizza.  That would make my life easier.

mmmm corned beef...I love that

• Like 1

We are spending NYD with my dad to celebrate Christmas, so that's mixed us up.  He'll do appetizers, I am sure.  

So for NYE, I'm going to make collards and black eyed peas and sweet potatoes and cornbread.  We'll have our lucky feast a day early.

For the night before NYE, we'll do what we usually do for NYE.  New Orleans bbq shrimp and a couple of loaves of crusty bread.  Yum.

• Like 2

For the night before NYE, we'll do what we usually do for NYE.  New Orleans bbq shrimp and a couple of loaves of crusty bread.  Yum.

You forgot to include your address for us............ some of us plan to show up! Sounds delicious!

• Like 3

We will be at a party this year--which is odd for us. I'm a stay at home gal on NYE. IF we were going to be home, we would do a variety of cheeses--smoked gouda, brie, gruyere. Boursin. Lots of tasty crackers. Fruit--apples, grapes, blueberries. A nice white wine to round it out. No littles to feed here...

New Year's Day is black eyed peas with ham plus jalapeno cornbread.

• Like 1

Hors d'oeuvres - seitan sausage rolls, stuffed mushrooms, flix mix, cauliflower "wings," beer cheeze dip, assorted fruits, spinach dip, olives and pickles, and probably some other veggies (broccoli, pepper and cucumber strips, snowpeas, etc) with hummus.

And scotch, but not for the kids. Or a brandy old fashioned because Wisconsin.

Fondue! Cheese with bread, sausages, apples, carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower for dipping. Chocolate with strawberries, bananas, rice krispie treat cubes, poundcake or cheesecake for dipping.

We do fondue too. Christmas goodies and s cocoa bar for dessert.

This year I am going to add a hopping john recipe from kitchn.com

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-hoppin-john-risotto-with-collard-pesto-recipes-from-the-kitchn-182045

Edited by Alessandra

DH and I will go out (we always do on Saturdays). Since it's NYE and we don't do fancy and prefer to be home long before any crazies come out it'll be somewhere close by and casual. And probably very early. 

I don't actually know what,if any, plans the boys have. So they may or may not come with us.

Can you tell we don't make a big deal of NYE? :lol:

Last year the kids and I finally convinced my dh that we did not want to go to his sister's every NYE, and I did it by saying I would fix an all appetizer meal.  We never get appetizer like foods, so this was big.  I let everyone pick one thing and we work together to fix it all (family bonding!) and eat on it all night.  There are 8 of us.  This year we are eating: Frozen mozzerella sticks, puppy chow, a cheese ball, popcorn shrimp, hot dogs, sausage balls, crab rangoons, potato skins and brownie dip.  It sounds like a lot, but I have lots of helpful hands in the kitchen when they are making their favorite whatever!

• Like 5

We're still pondering. I have invited 25 people, not sure how many will come. So far we have on the list:

spinach balls

caramelized onion mini tarts

crostini with cream cheese and smoked salmon

butternut squash-chick pea salad

veggies and some nice dip

a couple of deserts. Last year we did a deconstructed Black Forest cake in shot glasses: cake, cherry compote, cream. And we did lemon panacotta in small glasses, too.

Party!

I am making:

Cheese soup

Clam Chowder

Sausage, cheese, crackers

Porchetta

Hoppin'John

Apple and Bread pudding (stuffing)

Whiskey glazed sweet potatoes

Orange glazed roasted broccoli

Marinated chickpea and cauliflower salad

Cranberry chutney

Italian cream cake

Chocolate pound cake

Sweet potato cheesecake with caramel sauce

Assorted Christmas cookies:  Mexican wedding cakes, gingersnaps, buried cherry

Coffee, wine, soda, spiced cider, Pomegranate cosmos, eggnog

Edited by nevergiveup

Hors d'oeuvres - seitan sausage rolls, stuffed mushrooms, flix mix, cauliflower "wings," beer cheeze dip, assorted fruits, spinach dip, olives and pickles, and probably some other veggies (broccoli, pepper and cucumber strips, snowpeas, etc) with hummus.

And scotch, but not for the kids. Or a brandy old fashioned because Wisconsin.

Brandy Old Fashioned! I haven't had one of those since my Wisconsin uncle passed away.

• Like 2

Brandy Old Fashioned! I haven't had one of those since my Wisconsin uncle passed away.

Sweet or sour? They're pretty easy to make, though. You just need a muddler, but the back of a wooden spoon/spatula works too.

If I'm going to be strictly traditional for Christmas/New Years I suppose a brandy slush (http://www.anythingwisconsin.com/brandyslush.htm) would be canonical with a shot of Aquavit at midnight.

I love appetizer New Years!

26 people will be here including us. I'm making nachos (that I'm not eating like all the Christmas cookies we made), while others are bringing something savoury to share. I'd like to tuck something special for me to eat, instead of scrounging what I can or just starving. I probably won't get to it though. :)

We either go to an early movie or watch the LOTR trilogy on tv.  Definitely don't want to be out once it gets dark.  

I usually make snacks (cheese, bacon-wrapped something, fancy dessert).  We also order Chinese food from PF Changs or bbq from Lucille's.  Dh and I will do our usual shopping for our beverages...we choose something new every year.  A lot of hit or miss there!  

I'm setting up our chafing pans...

Yakinidu Beef

Teriyaki chicken

Rice

Spring rolls

Empanadas

Mozzarelline with pizza dipping sauce

Pizza bites, possibly pigs in a blanket

Little smokies

Crab dip

Jalapeno popper dip

Assorted crackers, chips, salsa, cold dips, hummus fresh fruit and veggie bites, devilled eggs

• Like 1