Menu

Who is your favorite "SNL" player of all time?

Marma Lynx's post about not having watched Saturday Night Live in years got me thinking: I've not watched it in years either. Is there anything really "funny" I've been missing or are the "original players" still the best that ever was?

What regular cast member was your all-time favorite? Do you still watch it?

Gilda Radner.

We gave up TV over about 10 years ago, but I hadn't watched SNL for years before that. Occasionally I'll see a snippet on the Internet.

I can't pick a favorite human, as I like a lot of the old timers very well.

I'm going to pick Mr. Bill. I loved Mr. Bill. I just bought myself a Mr. Bill doll at the Cracker Barrel.

OH NO MR BILL! I completely forgot about Mr Bill! Mine unspoken were John and Gilda, but now I have to include Mr. Bill! Thanks for the memory! They were all great weren't they :o.

I have an old cast member running for Senate here....Al Franken aka Stuart Smalley. He was on the radio one afternoon taking questions and I wanted to call up and ask him if he thought he was "good enough, and smart enough and gosh darnit did people like him?"

My favorites were the original cast, especially Gilda.

I can't pick a favorite human, as I like a lot of the old timers very well.

I'm going to pick Mr. Bill. I loved Mr. Bill. I just bought myself a Mr. Bill doll at the Cracker Barrel.

Cracker Barrel has Mr. Bill dolls!!! I love Mr. Bill, that was my dad's nickname.

It's hard to pick one from the original cast, they were all so good. So I'll go with Mr. Bill too.

Too many to pick one..

Dan Aykroyd

John Belushi

Bill Murray

Gilda Radner

Al Franken

Paul Shaffer

Eddie Murphy

Joe Piscopo

Christopher Guest

Martin Short

Robert Downey Jr.

Joan Cusack

Jon Lovitz

Dennis Miller

Dana Carvey

Phil Hartman

Victoria Jackson

Mike Myers

Chris Farley

Adam Sandler

Chris Rock

Julia Sweeney

Will Ferrell

Tina Fey

Maya Rudolph

Amy Poehler

I watch in spurts through the years. My favorites would be Martin Short, Dana Carvey, and Mike Meyers. I let my kids see pre-approved skits since they love the opening political skits and the weekend update. They love Amy P____. I'm also enjoying the lady who plays all the really weird characters this season.

Phil Hartman

(Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer)

Yep...Phil Hartman was great.

But I have a multitude of favorites. Bill Murray, Will Ferrell, Dana Carvey, Mike Meyers, Chris Kattan...lots of talented people.

Haven't watched it regularly in years, though.

In addition to Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer quips, there are a ton of one-liners that have stayed in my consciousness over the years..."Now is the time on Sprockets ven ve dance..."..."Tawk amongst yourselves, I'm a little verklempt..."..."Now, who's the barber, here?"..."Are you looking at my bum?"...not to mention, "Needs more cowbell".

It's kind of scary, now that I think about it, lol!

Marma Lynx's post about not having watched Saturday Night Live in years got me thinking: I've not watched it in years either. Is there anything really "funny" I've been missing or are the "original players" still the best that ever was?

hands down dh and my favorite is Chris Farley. A bit of useless info. We where on our honeymoon when Phil Hartman was murdered. :(

Phil Hartman,

, Mike Myers, and Bill Murray

"Ah...Star Wars! Nothing but Star Wars! Gimme those Star Wars... don't let them end! Ah... Star Wars! If they should bar wars... please let these Star Wars stay-ay! And, hey! How about that nutty Star Wars bar? Can you forget all those creatures in there? And, hey!Darth Vader in that black and evil mask - did he scare you as much as he scared me-e-e-e?" :lol:

Edited by Karenciavo

It's so hard to pick just one...

Maybe Gilda was the best.

So many of the original cast were so great.

Gilda Radner,John Belushi, Dan Ackroyd, Bill Murray and the really funny ones - the writers - Buck Henry and Michael O'Donoghue. When I was in high school the show was the event of the week and we would talk about it and act out the skits all week long while anticipating the next show.

Then came Dana Carvey (the church lady was so hilarious!), Chris Farley, Mike Meyers, Dennis Miller. I watched from the first season on and somewhere along the line they weren't as funny and I stopped watching.

It's heartbreaking that so many of the funniest comics are gone. I would have loved to see what they could have done.

ETA: Forgot to list Phil Hartman, I loved him too.

Edited by Dana in OR
ETA: Forgot to list Phil Hartman, I loved him too.

Phil Hartman,
, Mike Myers, and Bill Murray

"Ah...Star Wars! Nothing but Star Wars! Gimme those Star Wars... don't let them end! Ah... Star Wars! If they should bar wars... please let these Star Wars stay-ay! And, hey! How about that nutty Star Wars bar? Can you forget all those creatures in there? And, hey!Darth Vader in that black and evil mask - did he scare you as much as he scared me-e-e-e?" :lol:[/color]

Very impressive Karenciavo! Are you also wearing the suit that goes with that line? I can just picture it! :D

It's so hard to pick just one...

So many of the original cast were so great.

Gilda Radner,John Belushi, Dan Ackroyd, Bill Murray and the really funny ones - the writers - Buck Henry and Michael O'Donoghue. When I was in high school the show was the event of the week and we would talk about it and act out the skits all week long while anticipating the next show.

Then came Dana Carvey (the church lady was so hilarious!), Chris Farley, Mike Meyers, Dennis Miller. I watched from the first season on and somewhere along the line they weren't as funny and I stopped watching.

:iagree:

I think it's near impossible to pick "the best one" or even a favorite with accuracy because the original cast worked together so well as a team. Where one person may stand out (Gilda, Jane or Dan), it's arguable that they stood out because others made them so good, kwim? It was just an unbeatable cast.

We use to watch and act it out and couldn't wait until Saturday either. And then, like you, Dana, it was no longer funny. To crude. So we stopped. Every now and again we'll watch for a bit, but inevitably we shut it off because it's offensive.

But how come no one has mentioned Chevy Chase!?

"Chevy, Chevy we love when you fall down Each Saturday night on my T.V. Oh, but Chevy, everytime you take that fall, I wish that you were falling...falling for me:lol:

As much as I loved Gilda, though, Chevy Chase always cracks me up. Remember when they would be doing the weekend update and he'd mock Jane Curtin while she was talking, then stop as soon as she looked at him? Always cracked me up.

But Gilda...Roseanne Roseannadanna, anyone?

Wendi

Why do I not remember Phil Hartman? Maybe I'd stopped watching by then, or I'm just drawing a blank, (or maybe those were my college years :001_huh:)? Anyone remember what years he was on?

Thanks everyone for the stroll down memory lane everybody. I miss the good oldies. :o