Menu

POLL: If you're voting for McCain....

Why are you voting for McCain?  

1. 1. Why are you voting for McCain?

• He more closely aligns with my beliefs
    • I just want to keep Obama out of the White House
    • Other (please post why!)

Obama could very likely win this election, and if he does, he will be my president and I will support him.

That being said, I am voting for McCain because I am a Conservative. Although McCain is an independent at heart, and I disagree with many of his views, my own political beliefs and goals align more closely with his--particularly with Palin on the ticket. Obama is extremely liberal, and consequently his political views are the antithesis of my own. I really don't understand why this is so difficult for people to understand. I don't say that with any snarkiness intended, just as an honest statement.

Obama could very likely win this election, and if he does, he will be my president and I will support him.

That being said, I am voting for McCain because I am a Conservative. Although McCain is an independent at heart, and I disagree with many of his views, my own political beliefs and goals align more closely with his--particularly with Palin on the ticket. Obama is extremely liberal, and consequently his political views are the antithesis of my own. I really don't understand why this is so difficult for people to understand. I don't say that with any snarkiness intended, just as an honest statement.

:iagree: Well written!

I voted other because both are why I am voting McCain. He an Palin match closer to my conservative beliefs than any other candidate out there, but if there were another third party candidate that matched my beliefs, I would still vote McCain because that is the best chance for keeping Obama out of the white house. All that written if Obama wins he will be my President and will get the respect the office deserves.

:iagree: and I can't get a handle of why anyone would vote for Obama. :tongue_smilie:

I voted other because I'm not an extremely conservative person, but I'm not radically liberal either. McCain just makes me more comfortable. There is just something about Obama that scares me. I know he's young and charismatic, but then again Hitler had a lot of charisma too and he did help Germany out of a bad economic situation, but then it all went to his head and the ego took over. We all know what happened then.

Another reason we're for McCain is because my dh is in the military and we don't feel Obama would be a good Commander in Cheif.

I'm not ultra conservative, but neither am I ultra liberal. I'm in the middle. I'll probably vote for McCain unless I get swayed by a 3rd party candidate. Obama is tad too liberal for me. If Obama gets elected, he'll be our president, and that's that. I certainly don't believe it's the end of our country as we know it if Obama gets elected.

Janet

Edited by Ishki

I voted other because I'm not an extremely conservative person, but I'm not radically liberal either. McCain just makes me more comfortable. .

:iagree: FWIW, I don't like Palin- she scares me more than Obama.

Personally, of the 4 p/vp candidates, I would love to see a Biden/McCain ticket :lol:

I voted other because I'm not an extremely conservative person, but I'm not radically liberal either. McCain just makes me more comfortable. There is just something about Obama that scares me. I know he's young and charismatic, but then again Hitler had a lot of charisma too and he did help Germany out of a bad economic situation, but then it all went to his head and the ego took over. We all know what happened then.

Another reason we're for McCain is because my dh is in the military and we don't feel Obama would be a good Commander in Cheif.

:iagree:

Hitler had a lot of charisma too and he did help Germany out of a bad economic situation, but then it all went to his head and the ego took over. We all know what happened then.

Yes, the GERMAN PEOPLE committed many horrible atrocities.

Hitler was a horrible person, but he didn't do it alone.

And I don't see what basis you have for making such an analogy to begin with. By your logic, all charismatic people (Ghandi?!) incite nations to perpetrate evil acts.

And I don't see what basis you have for making such an analogy to begin with. By your logic, all charismatic people (Ghandi?!) incite nations to perpetrate evil acts.

Well, I don't think you can link Ghandi in here because he was not a charismatic speaker and he was action kinda of guy, ya know, hunger strikes, living very simply and all. Can't remember Obama doing any of the things Gandhi did. Gandhi lead by example and action not with flowery speeches that can be viewed as weak on content. He did not have women fainting, swooning, and crying at his speeches. He did not have middle school kids dress in military garb chanting his praises, economic policies, nor did he have school children signing his praises. Hitler tho did have all of the above. There have been a couple of good article about the cult of personality and how Obama seems to have that going for him as did Hitler.

Edited by RebeccaC

Yeah, it's a bit much to find a logical glitch like this on the WTM board. :001_smile:Hilter was charismatic, Hilter was evil, Obama is charismatic, therefore Obama is evil?

Obama's just the next in line of a bunch of presidents who are charismatic to one degree or another. Nixon, Ford, and Bush, Sr. are the exceptions I can think of in my lifetime. Maybe Carter, he was kind of depressing by the time his term was up, but I think he started out engaging and cheerful.

Americans apparently like that kind of leader. We like someone who makes us feel good about where the country's going and how we're going to fare under their leadership.

I'm not voting for either one of them, BTW, so anyone so inclined can feel free to bash me for my "pro-Obama" views.:tongue_smilie:

My Oma grew up in Germany and no the German people did not commit all those atrocities. Ordinary citizens had no idea what was going on. All they knew was their friends, neighbors were there one day and not the next. Do not be grouping my Oma, German citizen, in people who commited horrible atrocities.

:iagree: FWIW, I don't like Palin- she scares me more than Obama.

Personally, of the 4 p/vp candidates, I would love to see a Biden/McCain ticket :lol:

I've thought that a few times myself. Or McCain/Lieberman.

Part of what concerns me about the election is that we will likely end up with a strong Democratic majority in the House and Senate. Add a Democratic president who will probably nominate 3 Supreme Court justices (with a strong majority in Congress ready to approve the nominations) and a liberal media (IMO) to the mix and I think we're not going to see a great deal of balance of ideas. That being said, if one party wins the elections then they earn the right to set the national agenda. I don't have to like it or the direction I see things going but I'm not planning on moving either.

I certainly don't believe it's the end of our country as we know it if Obama gets elected.

:eek: What?! You mean Obama isn't the Anti-Christ?!? :D I'm conservative and I'll be voting for McCain. Doesn't mean I'll like it but I'd rather have McCain than Obama. I don't think it will be the end of our country either if Obama is elected. But I could think that way if I dwell on politics too long. I've avoided the news and forwarded emails and talk radio because I can get too wrapped up in that. Best to avoid it altogether for me!

I voted other. I would call my self libertarian, but I won't vote third party while living in a swing state. McCain is more fiscally conservative and that is part of why he will get my vote. I do believe he will take a hatchet to the budget and I think we need to get spending under control. I also really disagree with Obama on a lot of issues and hope he is not elected (although I will support him is he is). So, it's a combination of the two other reasons.

Melissa

Several people have mentioned that if Obama gets elected, they will "support" him even though they don't want him to be president. How does "supporting" a president you don't want to be president look different than "not supporting" him? (That's a sincere question. I don't know whether I "support" Bush or not. I think he's doing a terrible job. What would it mean for me to "support" him?)

Tara

Several people have mentioned that if Obama gets elected, they will "support" him even though they don't want him to be president. How does "supporting" a president you don't want to be president look different than "not supporting" him? (That's a sincere question. I don't know whether I "support" Bush or not. I think he's doing a terrible job. What would it mean for me to "support" him?)

Tara

I can't speak for anyone else by myself. What *I* would mean by that are all the "Not My President" t-shirts, bumper stickers, etc. that came out after Bush was elected.

I'm trying to get a handle on why people are voting for McCain.

I'm a conservative, fiscally and socially. McCain is a ton more fiscally and socially conservative than Obama. End of story.

If you are liberal fiscally and socially I can understand why you are voting for Obama. Why can't you see why people would vote for McCain?

:eek: What?! You mean Obama isn't the Anti-Christ?!? :D I'm conservative and I'll be voting for McCain. Doesn't mean I'll like it but I'd rather have McCain than Obama. I don't think it will be the end of our country either if Obama is elected. But I could think that way if I dwell on politics too long.

I will just quote Cricket and say ditto!

I can't speak for anyone else by myself. What *I* would mean by that are all the "Not My President" t-shirts, bumper stickers, etc. that came out after Bush was elected.

Yes, bumper stickers with "W" in a circle with a line in it (I saw that one today), that say "Don't blame me; I didn't vote for him", the media not calling him "President Bush" but "Mr. Bush", etc

I'm a conservative, fiscally and socially. McCain is a ton more fiscally and socially conservative than Obama. End of story.

If you are liberal fiscally and socially I can understand why you are voting for Obama. Why can't you see why people would vote for McCain?

I think you're reading more into the question than there is. (Or more than I see.) I don't know Carli's political leanings, but nothing in the post implies that she started the poll to make fun of or belittle conservatives. It seems to me that she simply wanted to see WHY people are voting for McCain, either because they truly believe in all that he stands for, or because they are scared of Obama.

As a flaming liberal myself, I could see myself posting a similar poll about Obama: are you voting for Obama because you like him, or because you are scared of McCain/Palin in the White House?

Anyone who gets elected to the presidency will have my support, I will not be bashing that person every chance I get or spreading ill will. I will however, turn to my local and state legislature and let my voice be known on issues that are important to me.

I do not trust Obama at all but once the battle is lost, I'll turn my attention to more profitable battles. I think it is despicable they way Bush has been raked over the coals over every little thing and doing so has harmed our country more than anything. People have lost faith in their elected officials, not because of the job they are doing or not doing but because of the constant tirade of the media outlets about what is wrong. Is there was nobody in our ear (tv/radio/internet) telling us that something is wrong...would it still be wrong?

I'm not saying Bush has had a stellar presidency but it is not just one person's failings that are at fault. Honestly, I would love to have a Republican/Democrat ticket, let them have opposite views- maybe then compromise can happen and by working together in a bipartisan way, the country can move forward instead of spinning its wheels all the time.

I think you're reading more into the question than there is. (Or more than I see.) I don't know Carli's political leanings, but nothing in the post implies that she started the poll to make fun of or belittle conservatives. It seems to me that she simply wanted to see WHY people are voting for McCain, either because they truly believe in all that he stands for, or because they are scared of Obama.

As a flaming liberal myself, I could see myself posting a similar poll about Obama: are you voting for Obama because you like him, or because you are scared of McCain/Palin in the White House?

I guess I'm just reacting to other things. I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

I am 95% certain that I will be voting for McCain.

I realized, during a recent conversation with my husband, that it comes down to the fact that I believe the American Dream is about the freedom to work as hard as I can to reach my goals. It is not about the government paying my way to success and then mandating how I am to live my life and raise and educate my children. I feel that it is also my responsibility to help my fellow man in any way that I can, and not the job of the government to decide how my money should be spent to help the less fortunate.

I feel as if I have a somewhat better chance at that ideal with Senator McCain in office.

I agree with that sentiment. It makes perfect sense to me why people would support Obama-- if they support abortion rights, if they support universal tax-paid-for health insurance, if they want troops out of Iraq right away, etc., etc. Of course those are the opposite of my views, which why I'm not an Obama supporter myself, but I have no problem understanding *why* people would vote for him, if they agree with him on those things.

It does appear to me that many Democrats seem to have a harder time understanding why anyone (especially someone who is not rich) would vote Republican... not sure why that is?

Erica

I am 95% certain that I will be voting for McCain.

I realized, during a recent conversation with my husband, that it comes down to the fact that I believe the American Dream is about the freedom to work as hard as I can to reach my goals. It is not about the government paying my way to success and then mandating how I am to live my life and raise and educate my children. I feel that it is also my responsibility to help my fellow man in any way that I can, and not the job of the government to decide how my money should be spent to help the less fortunate.

I feel as if I have a somewhat better chance at that ideal with Senator McCain in office.

Yep! And this is why I will be voting for McCain.

Rhonda, yes I was just wanting to see a spread on the "why" question. I'm a conservative all the way.

It does appear to me that many Democrats seem to have a harder time understanding why anyone (especially someone who is not rich) would vote Republican... not sure why that is?

Erica

I live in a very pro-Democrat area. After Bush beat Kerry, they were stunned. Speechless. Just could not understand why anyone would have voted for him!

I think this is either a distortion of her comments, or a misunderstanding.

She is unsure as to why people vote for Obama. Of course there is the charisma, but Hitler had charisma too. I believe she was saying that charisma is not a reason to vote for someone, NOT that all charismatic people are evil. I don't know why, but the minute anyone mentions Hitler, all reading comprehension seems to go out the window.

Yes, exactly. For me, support means respect. I may not like Obama, and I may voice my disagreement with him, but I won't stoop to the things that were done against Bush. It was disrespectful and childish at best. Certainly not the behavior of people who claim to be intelligent, progressive thinkers. :001_rolleyes:

Tara

I'll go...since I am one who mentioned support in my post. First of all, let me say that it will not be easy, as I am sure that there will be plenty I will disagree with, but I've found that doing the right, noble thing is seldom easy.

What it means for me is that if Obama is elected, I will be an American first, Republican second. I will respect that the majority in my great land has spoken, and that my president has been named. Though I have joked about getting a "Don't blame me..." sticker, I would not repay in kind the treatment of President Bush. I will give whomever holds the highest office in this land the respect that office deserves. I will pray for him earnestly.

However, it does not mean that I will agree with everything said or done. It doesn't take away my right to fight like mad against propositions and bills and laws that I disagree with. However, I believe there can be a difference between dissent and ridicule.

Yep! And this is why I will be voting for McCain.

Rhonda, yes I was just wanting to see a spread on the "why" question. I'm a conservative all the way.

I guess I'm a bit sensitive to people thinking there could be no good reason to vote for McCain.

This is why I usually stay out of the political discussions. I think I'll go back to that.

I'll go...since I am one who mentioned support in my post. First of all, let me say that it will not be easy, as I am sure that there will be plenty I will disagree with, but I've found that doing the right, noble thing is seldom easy.

What it means for me is that if Obama is elected, I will be an American first, Republican second. I will respect that the majority in my great land has spoken, and that my president has been named. Though I have joked about getting a "Don't blame me..." sticker, I would not repay in kind the treatment of President Bush. I will give whomever holds the highest office in this land the respect that office deserves. I will pray for him earnestly.

However, it does not mean that I will agree with everything said or done. It doesn't take away my right to fight like mad against propositions and bills and laws that I disagree with. However, I believe there can be a difference between dissent and ridicule.

Great post, Dawn! Dang, I miss those rep points sometimes. :001_smile:

I don't agree with either of them about money, social needs, education, or just about anything else.

I disagree somewhat less with McCain than Obama. Specificly I disagree with him less on some major issues, such as abortion, taxation, family and a few other things.

If it was reversed, obviously I'd vote Obama. But it's not, so I'm not.

:iagree: Very well said!

Ria

I think this is either a distortion of her comments, or a misunderstanding.

She is unsure as to why people vote for Obama. Of course there is the charisma, but Hitler had charisma too. I believe she was saying that charisma is not a reason to vote for someone, NOT that all charismatic people are evil. I don't know why, but the minute anyone mentions Hitler, all reading comprehension seems to go out the window.

Yes thank you. I wasn't saying that all charismatic people were evil. I was simply saying that many I've talked to are voting for Obama because of his charisma alone. I was simply trying to point out that just because someone is charismatic doesn't automatically make them a good person, there are many charismatic leaders that have done truly horrible things.

I have many reasons to vote for McCain. However, 2 big reasons I am not voting for Obama... One, I will always vote to protect human life. Obama has voted against protecting babies born alive after an aboration. (As a mom, I can't stomach a baby suffering alone.) The other reason, Obama wants to put more regulations on education. Finally, when McCain was asked about homeschooling, his response was "It is working". I hope my thoughts help you form your own thoughts! I know it is a tough year to make a well informed choice!

I voted that I just want to keep Obama out of the White House because that's my primary reason for voting for McCain, however, my views on the issues are most certainly closer to his than Obama's.

Before McCain chose Sarah Palin for his running mate, I was determined to make my "statement" with a third party vote because I felt sure McCain didn't have a chance against Obama.

Now I'm stuck voting for the lesser of two evils because McCain/Palin could actually have a chance, and I can't be part of putting Obama in charge of America if it could possibly be prevented.

So, here goes nothing...

Tara

I'll try to answer you. It means that even if I disagree with what he's doing for the Country, I will act and speak respectfully about him (the man). I will teach my children that we don't hold hard feeling for our choice not getting elected. I guess in a lot of ways I have already done this.

I belong to a very liberal co-op, and I think there is only one other family supporting McCain there. My kids have learned very quickly not to talk about McCain there or the other kids will make fun and be mean to them. It's really sad. The boy of the other McCain family was telling the kids his family was voting McCain and he was told his "whole family is full of idiots and you have to be really stupid to vote for McCain". My dd heard this and kept her mouth shut because she didn't want the kids attacking her. Same dd came home one day from co-op and ran around the house yelling "we hate Barack Obama". I sat her down and set her straight, we do not hate him, he loves this country, he has little girls her age, etc. Well, she was saying this because all the kids in co-op were running around that day saying they hate McCain.

I will not allow this kind of behavior out of my kids. It just will not happen. One of them will be president and they WILL respect that person, even when we disagree with them. I have not agreed with many things President Bush has done. But, I do not attack the man, I argue on the basis of what his policies have/could do. I argue about what I disagree with, I do not attack the man. Same with Clinton, I really disliked him morally and had a lot of issues with how he behaved. I never attacked him with my words, only his actions.

OK, this is getting long, and I have to cook dinner. I'm assuming I've gotten the point across.

Melissa

I'm voting for McCain because of the two, I feel he has the experience and character needed to stand up to terrorists. If we don't have a free and safe country it won't matter how much we argue about health care, the environment, education, etc. Also, I can't vote for anyone who supports abortion. If a leader supports a procedure such as partial birth abortion I don't feel I can trust his judgement on other issues.

There are some things I do agree with the Democratic party on but the two reasons above outweigh all the others.

However, my vote won't really count. My state will go Democratic. It always does. No question about it. But I'll take my kids and vote anyway.

I know McCain, I know how he votes....I have yet to meet one person who supports Obama who can tell me specifically what he has done that shows his leadership abilities..I don't support more government, Obama is much more aligned with socialistic issues than McCain...I don't want more government, I don't want more government programs, I want someone who will go in there and CUT the size of government...when I hear Obama speak, he's just trying to find more ways to add more money to the federal budget to push his programs...I want less programs. And I want the programs that are necessary to be held accountable and be fiscally responsible.

Tara

You know those little surveys you can take where they rank the candidates based on how you answer the questions on the issues? Well, according to them, my husband and I are both libertarian.

I'm voting for McCain partially because he more closely aligns with my beliefs. I'm voting McCain because I know that voting third party is a wasted vote. I'm voting McCain to keep Obama out of the house. I'm voting McCain because I cannot fathom what life in our country would be like if half of what Obama wants to do actually happens. I'm voting McCain because I can't afford the economy that Obama's policies will create.

You know those little surveys you can take where they rank the candidates based on how you answer the questions on the issues? Well, according to them, my husband and I are both libertarian.

I'm voting for McCain partially because he more closely aligns with my beliefs. I'm voting McCain because I know that voting third party is a wasted vote. I'm voting McCain to keep Obama out of the house. I'm voting McCain because I cannot fathom what life in our country would be like if half of what Obama wants to do actually happens. I'm voting McCain because I can't afford the economy that Obama's policies will create.

What she said! :iagree:

Ordinary citizens had no idea what was going on.

We just finished Modern era history and are starting Ancients over again, and from everything I have read with my children this is untrue. Sorry, Oma.

First they came…

(Pastor Martin Niemöller)

When the Nazis came for the communists,

I remained silent;

I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,

I remained silent;

I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,

I did not speak out;

I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,

I remained silent;

I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,

there was no one left to speak out.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Well, I don't think you can link Ghandi in here because he was not a charismatic speaker and he was action kinda of guy

Google "ghandi charisma". He was known for being a very charismatic person.