Menu

How to help my friend who wants to bring her kids home right away.....

scrapper4life

My friend came over last night to ask how homeschooling was going this year and then she told me of some really sad things happening at her children's school. She and her husband have decided to pull their kiddos from PS based on these first few weeks and a rough year last year. She hasn't done any research or have any resources. This is kind of a crisis mode response. I really want to help her, but I"ve spent years (literally) reading and learning and feel great where we are. But it took me those years. Where should I direct her to start? She doesn't have years. She has to make some choices now. I've shown her what I do, but I know it's not a one fit all thing. Is there a basic getting started resource for new beginners? I have no idea of their financial situation, but I did tell her not to worry about that because there are options ranging from free to almost college expense :) 

Her kiddos are in 3rd and 2nd. THe 3rd grader is dyslexic and deals with anxiety/processing issues and in her words "borderline spectrum." 3rd grader is reading a K level and that is of great concern to her. 2nd grader doesn't have any learning challenges that I know of, however, he has shown real resistance to going to school. She thinks this is related to some of the things that have happened in the school. However, she'd like to make sure.

Thank you all for any guidance you can give me.

I have heard the term "de-schooling" several times here but I am not sure I know what it means. I believe that education happens with all sorts of different interactions with our kids. So I know learning will continue for them as long as mom invests her time. I just don't know how to suggest/explain this notion to her.

Edited by scrapper4life

I would encourage her to start by doing the following:

1. Go to the library and check out armloads of things that will interest the kids - books, videos, audio books, etc.  Then use whichever the kids want.

2. While at the library, see if there are any homeschooling books.  Warn her of the wide range, and tell her to take what works for her and leave the rest.

3. Get her hooked in with local groups or families so she can put some activities on her schedule - park days, homeschool sports or clubs or scouts, field trips.

That should fill her schedule a bit and keep her kids busy learning while she researches what works for her.  

The first thing I'd look for is math - something inexpensive to start with.  Or she can see if she can borrow the textbooks her children were using while in school; some states will do this.

Then I'd focus on reading; while she's getting up to speed on her children's needs in that area the library books will give her something to start with.

• Like 5

I would have her watch my pre reading skills videos and watch the blending video with the children.

Then read through my dyslexia page and post on the special needs board here for help once she has a better idea where the problem may be so she can get the proper resources to address it, there are different approaches based in the underlying problem.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/dyslexia.html

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 1

I would encourage her to start by doing the following:

1. Go to the library and check out armloads of things that will interest the kids - books, videos, audio books, etc.  Then use whichever the kids want.

2. While at the library, see if there are any homeschooling books.  Warn her of the wide range, and tell her to take what works for her and leave the rest.

3. Get her hooked in with local groups or families so she can put some activities on her schedule - park days, homeschool sports or clubs or scouts, field trips.

That should fill her schedule a bit and keep her kids busy learning while she researches what works for her.  

The first thing I'd look for is math - something inexpensive to start with.  Or she can see if she can borrow the textbooks her children were using while in school; some states will do this.

Then I'd focus on reading; while she's getting up to speed on her children's needs in that area the library books will give her something to start with.

This. And I would find her the Kathy Duffy top picks book. It has a nice basic, to me unbiased, run down of the different types of everything and a decent overview of what's out there just to get started. That book seems to be one of the less overwhelming intro's to homeschooling. Keep her away from the Rainbow Resource book a week or two!! The kids can look at the books and videos and just PLAY and be kids while she figures out what she's just gotten herself into. And tell her to take lots of deep breaths. It will be okay. She has plenty of time. :) 

My friend came over last night to ask how homeschooling was going this year and then she told me of some really sad things happening at her children's school. She and her husband have decided to pull their kiddos from PS based on these first few weeks and a rough year last year. She hasn't done any research or have any resources. This is kind of a crisis mode response. I really want to help her, but I"ve spent years (literally) reading and learning and feel great where we are. But it took me those years. Where should I direct her to start? She doesn't have years. She has to make some choices now. I've shown her what I do, but I know it's not a one fit all thing. Is there a basic getting started resource for new beginners? I have no idea of their financial situation, but I did tell her not to worry about that because there are options ranging from free to almost college expense :)

Her kiddos are in 3rd and 2nd. THe 3rd grader is dyslexic and deals with anxiety/processing issues and in her words "borderline spectrum." 3rd grader is reading a K level and that is of great concern to her. 2nd grader doesn't have any learning challenges that I know of, however, he has shown real resistance to going to school. She thinks this is related to some of the things that have happened in the school. However, she'd like to make sure.

Thank you all for any guidance you can give me.

Before she withdraws her children, she needs to know what the homeschool law is in her state, because that could drive the acquiring of Official School Stuff. In some states, such as Illinois, California, Texas and New Jersey (and others), it won't matter what she does, but in others, she might have to have a book list in hand to turn in with notification or whatever.

• Like 7

Before she withdraws her children, she needs to know what the homeschool law is in her state, because that could drive the acquiring of Official School Stuff. In some states, such as Illinois, California, Texas and New Jersey (and others), it won't matter what she does, but in others, she might have to have a book list in hand to turn in with notification or whatever.

This, but I assume you know the regs?

I would encourage the homeschooling, if possible, while she researches and gets her ducks in order. If the law allows, I'd suggest lots of read alouds or audio books (library free or librivox) while letting the kids play, then starting math games and one-on-one reading work until Christmas.

• Like 1

This, but I assume you know the regs?

I would encourage the homeschooling, if possible, while she researches and gets her ducks in order. If the law allows, I'd suggest lots of read alouds or audio books (library free or librivox) while letting the kids play, then starting math games and one-on-one reading work until Christmas.

I don't know if there is a booklist required for withdrawal. I'll look into it. We're in Ohio. Anyone know?

Edited by scrapper4life

Ugh. Doesn't look like it'll be easy in Ohio. She'll need to formally withdraw her students from the school, but won't need a booklist for that. She will want to include that she will file a notification with the superintendent as required by Ohio Administrative Code.

I'd have her check out the sample notification form for the superintendent as it looks like there is a list of required courses & she has to submit a "Brief outline of intended curriculum for the current year. Such outline is for informational purposes only. List of (a) textbooks; (b) correspondence courses; © commercial curricula; or (d) other basic teaching materials that the parent intends to use for home education. Such list is for informational purposes only."

HSLDA has a sample letter for withdrawl & other info, but you have to be a member to access that page. (Some people like to become a member of HSLDA. Others believe HSLDA does negative things for homeschooling. Your mileage may vary on whether you want to suggest they join or not.)

So, there is a list of required subjects & she'll need an outline of what she's going to use once she pulls them.

• Like 1

All About Reading is super easy to teach since there is a script to follow. They have placement help on their site. I know they say they are great for dyslexia. You could recommended starting slow with the basics. Get something to teach reading, math and writing. English Language through Literature is very gentle and they might both be starting from the same place so maybe they could do it together and have read alouds, poems, beginning grammar and dictation. Then she could decide what else to add in.

I don't live in Ohio, but if what is required is a letter of notification, that is not something to stress over. It is not a request for permission! They just have to account for every kid. Your friend can follow the instructions and just provide what is asked for, not go crazy trying to prove herself. (This is what I didn't know the first year!)

We all learn as we go. Has she visited this website? (Not the forums, but the information on getting started and the core subjects.) I find the advice here very straightforward and assuring. She can start with the bare bones and go from there. Sometimes it's easier to choose without getting bogged down in ALL the philosophies and ALL that's available. There is time for that! I hope she will make her way to this community or another, virtual or real, so that she doesn't have to feel like she is still in crisis mode any longer.

• Like 1

I'd tell her to take some time to focus on the culture that she wants in the family.

I'd work on implementing a good routine, chores, and at the beginning I'd do math and any school (minimal) all together in a fun way. This will set the tone of her homeschool - working together, fun.

I'd give the kids a quiet reading time - or drawing /picture books /documentaries if they arent reading yet - lots of unstructured time (no screen) so they can get comfortable with themselves.

I'd do puzzles and boardgames and long walks.

Then after a month at least, in which she'll be able to get her head around what she wants, I'd add one or two subjects.

Go slow. Her kids are young enough. If she jumps in full throttle they will all burn out, guaranteed.

• Like 3

I don't know if there is a booklist required for withdrawal. I'll look into it. We're in Ohio. Anyone know?

Ohio is not one of the easier states, but it can't be all that bad since there are many homeschoolers. :-)

Here's HSLDA's analysis of the OH law. And FTR, I would recommend HSLDA membership.

Two of the things required are a "brief outline of intended curriculum" and a list of textbooks or other basic teaching materials. Notice that both "curriculum" and "list of textbooks" is required. They are different from each other. This is where homeschoolers need to know what "curriculum" means in most legal things like homeschool laws. "Curriculum" is the course of study offered by an institution of education. So, her "brief outline of intended curriculum" would be the subjects that are required by OH law: "Home education programs are required to teach language, reading, spelling, writing, geography, history of the United States and Ohio, government, math, science, health, physical education, fine arts (including music), first aid, safety, and fire prevention." The list of textbook or other resources would be separate.

Here is a sample notification. The "brief outline" is good, but it gets kind of long after that; I'm not sure that the information that begins on page 10 is required, or if the parents are being overly cautious. It is one of the reasons I recommend HSLDA membership: To help you comply with the law without giving away more than is necessary. Anyway, it's a good place to start.

Edited by Ellie
  • Like 3

You do not have to spend years researching to get to where you can home school.

I would help her by telling her just pull them out. And then dive in. Let themselves have a break and read books and get to know each other better. Once out of the chaos of school, they will be different people. Then, she can start with something in math, handwriting, etc. Sometimes, someone just needs someone to say "do this." They can start there and tweak as they go.

I will tell you, someone from these very boards, many years ago, told me what to use. And I did. And to be honest with you, I largely still use the same stuff. Even though I have tried other things, she got me started. And I kept what worked and changed what I did not like. She used Rod and Staff English and I use BJU. She used Miquon and Singapore Math, I just use Singapore Math. She used Story of the World, I do too. Get the idea? 

• Like 2

Someone withdrawing their children from public school to homeschool has to file the same notification of intent to homeschool as any other homeschooler.  It is recommended that she withdraw the students from public school and file the intent at the same time.  The intent must include planned curriculum, but it is simpler than first glance might indicate.  The required subjects are:

a) Language, reading, spelling, and writing

b) Geography, history of the United States, and Ohio, and national, State and local government

c) Mathematics

d) Science

e) Health

f) Physical education

g) Fine arts, including music

h) First aid, safety, and fire prevention

So her plan must include something for each of the areas.  Bear in mind that this a plan.  If something isnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t working she can try something else.

For an easy to implement, wonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t take too much time first step, I recommend Five in a Row.  The public library may have the curriculum guide.  If it doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t, the curriculum guide isnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t very expensive and is often available used.  Tell your friend to start with books held by the public library and skip any expensive out of print titles.  Strongly encourage her to do the program as written and not add the extras she sees online for at least a few months. 

She will also need a phonics program, math, music, and P.E.  If she doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t want to make her own copywork, she can add a handwriting program.   

ChildĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s name

Planned Curriculum 2016-2017

Language arts, social studies, science, health and safety, and fine arts will be covered via unit studies using the Five in a Row curriculum.

In addition, childĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s name will study the following:

Phonics: resource*

Mathematics: resource

Music: Classics For Kids (Cincinnati Public Radio) [if child is in a choir or takes music lessons list that instead]

P.E.: rotation of sports and fitness activities

*The local public library probably has OPGTR, Phonics Pathways, Reading Pathways, and other resources.  Tell her to look at those and ElizabethĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s pages and pick one. 

Five in Row should be sufficiently different from brick and mortar school to feel unschooly to the children.  If she tries it from now until Christmas and is satisfied with it, they could continue, otherwise, it would give her enough time to do some research for better options for spring semester.

• Like 8

Someone withdrawing their children from public school to homeschool has to file the same notification of intent to homeschool as any other homeschooler.  It is recommended that she withdraw the students from public school and file the intent at the same time.  

Thank you for this clarification.  Based on the other comments I didn't know if withdrawing had different requirements than NOI at the start of the year. We started out homeschooling from the start, so I know the paperwork for that scenario. Glad to know it is the same so I can help her.

Also, you mentioned Five in a Row. I will head over and take a look, but from what I remember of that curriculum, isn't it for younger kiddos? She has a 2nd and 3rd grader.

A free solution for now:  https://allinonehomeschool.com/

She only has to provide a brief outline of intended curriculum and list of books and other supplies.  She could skim through the lessons in Easy Peasy, get the books used, and send in her notification.  She can intend to use Easy Peasy temporarily until she finds the perfect fit for them.

• Like 4

Thank you for this clarification.  Based on the other comments I didn't know if withdrawing had different requirements than NOI at the start of the year. We started out homeschooling from the start, so I know the paperwork for that scenario. Glad to know it is the same so I can help her.

Also, you mentioned Five in a Row. I will head over and take a look, but from what I remember of that curriculum, isn't it for younger kiddos? She has a 2nd and 3rd grader.

The first three volumes of FIAR are marketed as K-3 and many families use them through 4th grade.  It is on the light side for third grade, especially when compared with WTM recomendations.  Given that the focus for this particular third grader needs to be on learning to read rather than content subjects and that your friend wants to withdraw her children now but does not have resources lined up, FIAR is worth trying.   

• Like 2

I'd tell her to take some time to focus on the culture that she wants in the family.

I'd work on implementing a good routine, chores, and at the beginning I'd do math and any school (minimal) all together in a fun way. This will set the tone of her homeschool - working together, fun.

I'd give the kids a quiet reading time - or drawing /picture books /documentaries if they arent reading yet - lots of unstructured time (no screen) so they can get comfortable with themselves.

I'd do puzzles and boardgames and long walks.

Then after a month at least, in which she'll be able to get her head around what she wants, I'd add one or two subjects.

Go slow. Her kids are young enough. If she jumps in full throttle they will all burn out, guaranteed.

Yeah no kidding. I warned a good friend about this but she pulled kids out in Jan and they are back in school this fall. She went full throttle and wouldn't listen when I said there were other ways to approach it. I hope your friend will really take your advice to heart to go slow.

• Like 1

Thank you for this clarification. Based on the other comments I didn't know if withdrawing had different requirements than NOI at the start of the year. We started out homeschooling from the start, so I know the paperwork for that scenario. Glad to know it is the same so I can help her.

It's such a great curriculum for creating a culture of learning together and helping the kids see that homeschool will feel different from school. It's easy to implement and will create great memories. It's a huge win IMO for this situation. If her 3rd grader isn't reading past a K level then more intense work should not be the focus. Reading and math should and a little fiar for the joy of learning.

• Like 2

I lie in Ohio. There is a standard withdrawal form (NOI for Notice of Intent) and you have to supply a curriculum. At the end of the school year you have either a portfolio assessed by a certified teacher or you do standardized testing. If you Google PEACH in Xenia they have everything online. It's accurate and free. I used there sample forms and had no problems.

I was in your friend's situation. I made the decision to hs three weeks before the start of the school year. I did some intensive internet research and pulled together a curriculum in a week which I have since revised. You can deviate from your submitted curriculum. 

Where I live in Ohio there are several Facebook hs groups which were a lifesaver for me. 

Ă¢â‚¬â€¹I don't think at your friend's grade level it is that complicated. 

• Like 2

A free solution for now:  https://allinonehomeschool.com/

She only has to provide a brief outline of intended curriculum and list of books and other supplies.  She could skim through the lessons in Easy Peasy, get the books used, and send in her notification.  She can intend to use Easy Peasy temporarily until she finds the perfect fit for them.

Ah, the joys of legalism! There are lots of creative ways to fulfill state curriculum requirements. Our state says American history must be covered in grades 1-6. Of course, the way it is written, it is unclear whether that means each year, or at some point during that time period. Since we do SOTW, I cover American history through the study of a few American folk songs so the school distract can't say we didn't do anything for that requirement.

• Like 1

We use Hirsch's What Your First/Second, etc, Grader Needs to Know' to guide our history, science, and literature/arts.  If she picks a math curriculum, these books might help her to feel like she's got some structure while she figures out what approach to use for the rest of it.  We do alternating history and science units supplemented with library books, map work, experiments, crafts, etc but have occasionally gotten workbooks that fit the topics.  It will take some time to see if her family works best with projects, workbooks, read-alouds, or a mix, but since the Core Knowledge books are more of a topic guide she can try different approaches and then explore curriculum that fit her preferred methods.   

Lots of great ideas and suggestions on this thread.  I wanted to suggest that you help her connect with other homeschoolers, possibly organized groups, even if you don't use them.  She and her husband may need to see other homeschoolers doing stuff, perhaps take her kids on field trips with other homeschoolers, maybe have some play dates, etc.  Otherwise, she and the kids may really struggle with feeling cut off from the outside world while they find their groove.  When you are used to being tied to a school environment and the schedule and interaction that that usually requires it can be a huge and disorienting adjustment to suddenly be centered strictly around your own home, your own schedule, with little interaction with the outside except for what you yourself choose to do.  Newbies can get filled with doubt that they made the right decision and the kids, even if they hate school, may feel lonely and defective.  This kind of emergency decision is not an easy one, especially if any of them are extroverts.  She will need time and support.

As for the child with Dyslexia, if she had the financial resources, she might look at Barton Reading and Spelling.  At least she could give her child the free Barton student screening to confirm the child doesn't need some specialized tutoring in sound discrimination before starting a reading program at home.  I have linked it below...

https://bartonreading.com/

She would need to take the tutor screening first.  It is not testing her knowledge but her ability to hear the sounds properly so she can actually test her student.  If she does not pass the tutor screening there are other options for testing her child.  They both need to be rested, test in a quiet place where they won't be interrupted, and not be rushed to get through.  The screenings are really pretty easy to administer, don't take a ton of time, are free and will give her another piece to the puzzle before she tries leaping into a reading program.

Sometimes it's hard for parents to "deschool" when they're coming out of a bad or a stressful situation with the school. They feel that they need to _do_ something and deschooling, while it would actually be the best thing, is stressful for them because _they_ feel it isn't "doing" something. The only thing they know is the brick & mortar school mentality..... sit down, study these subjects, with these textbooks, for x minutes/day, take a spelling test,...  They've never seen the tremendous potential benefits of a home school environment. We know what deschooling looks like, what it means, what the benefits can be. But to them, it might seem like they aren't doing anything at all.

Sometimes it helps for them to have one thing that they can pour their anxious energy into. I would suggest they start with just math. Most math programs are pretty standardized in K-6, and most parents feel competent to handle standard, elementary school math. Don't get buried in "well, this one is 'spiral' and this one is 'mastery' and this one is 'hands-on' and ..."  It really does.not.matter at the beginning. They just need a starting point....  Saxon, Horizons, any standard, easy to implement 2nd & 3rd grade math text, preferably one that has a path forward through at least 6th grade.  They'll figure out if/how they want to modify things as they go.

One lesson of math a day for each child.... It's doable. It looks familiar to the parent as they move from  brick and mortar school to home schooling. Math is very straightforward and doesn't require a lot of creativity. It allows the parent to "do" something they can feel successful with and good about. It shouldn't be stressful for either parent or child. It gives the parent something to focus their energy on so they don't go crazy and try to do everything at once and give up homeschooling altogether. It is beneficial in the long run, not just a stop-gap measure. It gets them into a routine.

Or, if the parent hates math, help the parent pick one thing you're pretty sure they can "teach" and experience as a success with their child so they can see that home schooling is doable. Nothing is more motivating than success!

• Like 4

Ah, the joys of legalism! There are lots of creative ways to fulfill state curriculum requirements. Our state says American history must be covered in grades 1-6. Of course, the way it is written, it is unclear whether that means each year, or at some point during that time period. Since we do SOTW, I cover American history through the study of a few American folk songs so the school distract can't say we didn't do anything for that requirement.

Almost sounds like you're in NY.  We're doing SOTW and Liberty Kids to get in the American History

Sometimes it's hard for parents to "deschool" when they're coming out of a bad or a stressful situation with the school. They feel that they need to _do_ something and deschooling, while it would actually be the best thing, is stressful for them because _they_ feel it isn't "doing" something. The only thing they know is the brick & mortar school mentality..... sit down, study these subjects, with these textbooks, for x minutes/day, take a spelling test,... They've never seen the tremendous potential benefits of a home school environment. We know what deschooling looks like, what it means, what the benefits can be. But to them, it might seem like they aren't doing anything at all.

Sometimes it helps for them to have one thing that they can pour their anxious energy into. I would suggest they start with just math. Most math programs are pretty standardized in K-6, and most parents feel competent to handle standard, elementary school math. Don't get buried in "well, this one is 'spiral' and this one is 'mastery' and this one is 'hands-on' and ..." It really does.not.matter at the beginning. They just need a starting point.... Saxon, Horizons, any standard, easy to implement 2nd & 3rd grade math text, preferably one that has a path forward through at least 6th grade. They'll figure out if/how they want to modify things as they go.

One lesson of math a day for each child.... It's doable. It looks familiar to the parent as they move from brick and mortar school to home schooling. Math is very straightforward and doesn't require a lot of creativity. It allows the parent to "do" something they can feel successful with and good about. It shouldn't be stressful for either parent or child. It gives the parent something to focus their energy on so they don't go crazy and try to do everything at once and give up homeschooling altogether. It is beneficial in the long run, not just a stop-gap measure. It gets them into a routine.

Or, if the parent hates math, help the parent pick one thing you're pretty sure they can "teach" and experience as a success with their child so they can see that home schooling is doable. Nothing is more motivating than success!

This is fabulous advice. I often tell new parents to just start with math but your reasoning behind why it's important to do one thing is spot on.

• Like 1

Almost sounds like you're in NY.  We're doing SOTW and Liberty Kids to get in the American History

Bingo!

You never know what a bureaucrat will pay attention to. I've heard of one district in our area that will give homeschoolers a hard time about bicycle safety. :blink:

Bingo!

You never know what a bureaucrat will pay attention to. I've heard of one district in our area that will give homeschoolers a hard time about bicycle safety. :blink:

We did this to cover all that crap.  https://smile.amazon.com/Health-Safety-Manners-Reader-Beka/dp/B001FVAOSG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472933786&sr=8-1&keywords=a+beka+health  Has bike safety and all that other verbose garbage in it.

• Like 2

Child's Name: __________

School Year: 2016-2017

Language, Reading, Spelling & Writing

All About Reading

All About Spelling

Copywork, Dictation, Narration

Geography, History & Government

Beautiful Feet Early American History

Mathematics

CLE Math

Science

Library science books

Nature study

Field trips

Physical Education

Regular outdoor play time

Participation in family hikes (or sports?)

Health, First Aid, Safety, and Fire Prevention

Abeka Health, Safety & Manners

Fine Arts & Music

Library art books & art supplies

Classics for Kids

Someone withdrawing their children from public school to homeschool has to file the same notification of intent to homeschool as any other homeschooler.  It is recommended that she withdraw the students from public school and file the intent at the same time.  The intent must include planned curriculum, but it is simpler than first glance might indicate.  The required subjects are:

a) Language, reading, spelling, and writing

b) Geography, history of the United States, and Ohio, and national, State and local government

c) Mathematics

d) Science

e) Health

f) Physical education

g) Fine arts, including music

h) First aid, safety, and fire prevention

So her plan must include something for each of the areas.  Bear in mind that this a plan.  If something isnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t working she can try something else.

For an easy to implement, wonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t take too much time first step, I recommend Five in a Row.  The public library may have the curriculum guide.  If it doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t, the curriculum guide isnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t very expensive and is often available used.  Tell your friend to start with books held by the public library and skip any expensive out of print titles.  Strongly encourage her to do the program as written and not add the extras she sees online for at least a few months. 

She will also need a phonics program, math, music, and P.E.  If she doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t want to make her own copywork, she can add a handwriting program.   

ChildĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s name

Planned Curriculum 2016-2017

Language arts, social studies, science, health and safety, and fine arts will be covered via unit studies using the Five in a Row curriculum.

In addition, childĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s name will study the following:

Phonics: resource*

Mathematics: resource

Music: Classics For Kids (Cincinnati Public Radio) [if child is in a choir or takes music lessons list that instead]

P.E.: rotation of sports and fitness activities

*The local public library probably has OPGTR, Phonics Pathways, Reading Pathways, and other resources.  Tell her to look at those and ElizabethĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s pages and pick one. 

Five in Row should be sufficiently different from brick and mortar school to feel unschooly to the children.  If she tries it from now until Christmas and is satisfied with it, they could continue, otherwise, it would give her enough time to do some research for better options for spring semester.

Not true. That is by state. In Texas, you do not give all that information.

For the immediate future, I would do this:

a. RLTL- 1

b. R&S Math grade 2 first 40 lessons review of first grade math

c. SOTW

d. Interactive notebooks grade 2 Science

You can also use the interactive notebooks for language arts.

This is nowhere near a complete curriculum but it's someplace to start while you catch your breath and decide what you really do want to do.

ETA: It should be relatively inexpensive, no more than $75.

Edited by nannyaunt
  • Like 1

I give another recommendation for Barton or All about Reading for the struggling reader. The support and customer service from All About Learning press is fabulous and they talk a lot about reading challenges. If she has a truly dyslexic student then she will need an intensive Orton Gillingham (directly teach all rules snd phonemes) reading program or tutor. For math she could pick any strong full program (bob jones, singapore, horizons, CLE, maybe saxon) and check out Kate at www.kateshomeschoolmath.com These aren't necessarily my favorite programs but they would probably be better than being one student of many in a PS math class. If something doesn't work...she can change but give it a fair try. Also remind her that the first year homeschooling may seem wasted but its not many habits and expectations and routines are formed...year 2 is usually much better. I remember this when my mom pulled my siblings and me out in grades 1,4 and 5. Mom pretty much stuck with Abeka textbooks because they felt safe to her and we are all doing well academically now (1 teacher 1 nurse and 1 with a masters in some kind of physical training) tell her not to stress and connect her with other homeschoolers.