Menu

Couscous? Anyone really like that stuff?

It's good to mix it with other stuff. I like a nice couscous salad in the summer, and one of my favorite quick meals is Italian tomato soup and couscous (known in our home as Mommy Soup). I use one can of Progresso Tomato Basil soup with two servings of couscous, mix together and put a bit of Romano cheese on top.

By itself couscous doesn't taste like much, but it's a nice texture to mix with other things. Oh, and it's very nice with curry.

I decided to try some couscous.....really not knowing WHAT it was. I prepared it as directed.....and decided it tasted like NOTHING.

Is there a trick to preparing it?

Tammy

Plain couscous does nothing for me.

But the Near East Curry Couscous or Parmesean Couscous - yummmmm!

I suppose if you were someone who could actually cook worth a lick (unlike me) you could add the spices on your own. I tried...and went back to the preboxed mix.

We LOVE couscous! -especially whole wheat. Here is how I fix it:

I saute some onions and garlic, then add chopped zuchinni, yellow squash, basil, salt, and pepper. After that has cooked a bit, add some fresh, chopped tomatoes.

Serve over couscous with fresh parmesean cheese, shredded.

Yummy!

Edited by Tracy in Ky

I love it! But yeah, totally plain without something else. It is like pasta and rice would be if you just did nothing but cook them.

I cook mine with beef bouillon cubes and eat it like that when I am feeling under the weather.

My kids love it. I love it as a salad with black olives, red onion, green peppers, feta cheese and a vinaigrette.

Couscous is a staple in our life here in the Middle East!

It is known as "maghrabiyya"

Delicious!

I quite enjoy it plain ( accompanying Moroccan lamb + natural yoghurt with mint etc), but is equally as nice cooked in stock, a little butter added and spices.

Its inexpensive, so easy to cook, is a staple food in houses/cafes here, and is delicious.

I like to saute some onions, garlic, basil and vegetables (zucchini, okra, squash, tomato), then serve that over couscous. It's also good with sauteed vegetables and some Parmesan. But you definitely have to add something to it for flavor and to eliminate the dry texture it has on its own.

Shelly

I just saute a little onion and toss in some dried fruit like raisins etc in the liquid to rehydrate, then maybe some pine nuts at the end for a little crunch. Maybe some herbs, Definitely needs stock and other flavorings, It's nice in the summer because you don't have to boil it like regular pasta.

Maybe you just need to try some different things with it to find what your family likes?

:lol: It reminds me of grits, a bowl of mushy stuff that needs lots of stuff to make it palatable.

I decided to try some couscous.....really not knowing WHAT it was. I prepared it as directed.....and decided it tasted like NOTHING.

Tammy

Tammy

I cook couscous with chicken broth instead of water. After it's cooked, I add some olive oil and salt, and squeeze some lemon over it. Yum!

Haven't read the other responses. Maybe this has already been suggested. I like it cold, mixed with some olive oil and either lemon juice or lime juice, some salt and pepper to taste or some garlic salt. Add chopped parsley or cilantro and chopped bell peppers (any color), chopped carrots, chopped cucumber, maybe some peas, a little bit of shredded lettuce if you want, really any type of veg that you'd add to a cold salad.