Menu

Okay, HP and the CC discussion WITH SPOILERS

Ginevra

Have my fellow HP fans finished reading Harry Potter and te Cursed Child? I have to speak about this.

This is the SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER thread.

So...

wow I'm crestfallen. FanFic gone wild. Actually, I have read better FanFic. I thought it started with a great premise...what if Lucius Malfoy had been desperate for a powerful heir? What if he did work out a way to have Voldy in his family tree? That would be *just* like him. He would totes do that, plus he has the dough to make it happen.

But OMG. Boy did THAT get discombobulated. It's like the Biff Tannen version of HP alternate reality. I mean...pretty much the exact plot of Back to The Future II.

Albus - great character. I wish JKR would actually write about him. Scorpius - perfect. I loved the "not what you think" aspect. I mean, who says Malfoy's child has to be a servant of the Dark? But again - how I wish I could see Scorpius in a story written by JKR. Ron seems like an idiot; he doesn't have any of the endearing goofball vibe Rowling gave him.

But wowee did it get wacky in the last act or so.

• Like 1

I actually would like to see Albus, Scorpus, and Rose at Hogwarts, just being normal students and dealing with their day to day lives and the baggage coming with being the kids of Harry, Ron, Hemione, Draco, etc. Bring in characters like Hagrid, McGonagall, Neville (as a herbology professor) to provide continuity, but mostly just let them be kids. Honestly, there are reasons why a lot of people sign up with Pottermore, set up Hogwarts co-ops, camps and birthday parties, and stuff like that. It doesn't take "Son-of-Voldermort" (or daughter) trying to change time to give drama. There are plenty of options for drama closer to home.

• Like 5

I didn't think it was wacky in the last act. I just thought it was pat in the end. Overall, I give it a thumbs up. There were some great things. I loved imagining the production and the notes were great. The father-son plot was excellent, the strongest part for me. But other elements were weak. 

Random observations:

* Yes to the Back to the Future II reference. I made that joke too, Quill.

* I think it probably reads better if you're not familiar with HP fic at all. Like, especially if you're not familiar with HP next gen fanfic. There are *SO* many fanfic tropes in here my head hurt. But if you don't know these tropes then probably it reads a lot fresher. In fact, that seems to be the case when I've talked to friends so far.

* JKR clearly hates Ron. He was one step away from Homer Simpson dad joke. Dh said he was the dad from Hairspray (joke shop dad). I felt like it was a total hate write. She's said straight up she's sorry she didn't kill him in the books. Yeah, it showed for me.

* I didn't buy that Albus would have gone off on this deal in the first place. The whole back engineering around Cedric Diggory (of all characters!) felt so forced.

* Speaking of fic, Albus and Scorpius are clearly soulmates. Scorpius needs to get over his childhood Rose crush and realize who is true love is. And did she write it for the fanfic people like that on purpose or what? I mean, when Snape told Scorpius to think of Albus, I was like, good grief, how much more romantic can we get here? This has left the bromance category and gone straight into the hands of the slash writers.

* The villain needed more foreshadowing for me. She was so flat overall.

• Like 4

* Speaking of fic, Albus and Scorpius are clearly soulmates. Scorpius needs to get over his childhood Rose crush and realize who is true love is. And did she write it for the fanfic people like that on purpose or what? I mean, when Snape told Scorpius to think of Albus, I was like, good grief, how much more romantic can we get here? This has left the bromance category and gone straight into the hands of the slash writers.

Ha! Yeah, I thought that, too! It was like, "Oh, here we go...Dumbledore's Rainbow Army!" :D

• Like 2

I thought the twist with Delphi not actually going back to kill Harry was pretty bizarre.

You're right about the Father and son theme. That was a great part of the script.

• Like 1

I thought the twist with Delphi not actually going back to kill Harry was pretty bizarre.

You're right about the Father and son theme. That was a great part of the script.

Yeah, that was okay to me. But also... in a way, not interesting. And while at the start of the whole thing I sort enjoyed "seeing" these scenes replay, by the end, seeing Harry's parents' deaths rehashed just didn't emotionally connect for me. Maybe on the stage it works better. My friend thought that Delphi in general may have worked better on the stage. Like, I didn't clue into how much of a crush Albus had on her at first, but stage clues probably make it work better.

• Like 1

Yeah..it's not logical to think Harry would stay to witness the murder of his parents. Who would do that? He had already been tormented by remembering his mother's screams. Who would want to witness it for any reason?

There were some things which,, as a writer, I thought were interesting in reading a script. Scripts (obviously) have to convey almost everything by dialogue and body language; there's no exposition, or at least, almost none, just set directions. But at the same time, I would enjoy so many more things in this story had it been presented in a novel format.

Maybe I'll write my own Albus/Scorpius story fanfic. :D

• Like 2

It would be in good company. I was curious how common the pairing was... I'd seen it some, but I don't read HP fic in bulk or anything. I just dip into it occasionally. But there's a boatload out there. 

I was glad about some of the alternate universe stuff... but also it felt not fresh. I'm so torn between the fan squee of "ooh, Snape!" and being disappointed at how obvious some of that was. Just in terms of playing the fans instead of giving us something new.

• Like 1

I REALLY thought that's where that was I was surprised when it didn't. Maybe the actors wouldn't have left me with thinking that, but the dialog sure did
  • Like 1

Yeah..it's not logical to think Harry would stay to witness the murder of his parents. Who would do that? He had already been tormented by remembering his mother's screams. Who would want to witness it for any reason?

There were some things which,, as a writer, I thought were interesting in reading a script. Scripts (obviously) have to convey almost everything by dialogue and body language; there's no exposition, or at least, almost none, just set directions. But at the same time, I would enjoy so many more things in this story had it been presented in a novel format.

I think with this though, the thing is that a script of a play isn't a finished thing, that isn't really how it is meant to be seen or enjoyed.  There are all kinds of elements of the finished play that are totally missing, so reading only the script is a bit like reading an outline for a novel.  Even with set directions included, so many elements in a play come from other places than the script - the actors, direction, designers and set-builders, costumes, lighting and music.  All those elements that will inform a viewer are not there for the reader.

I don't actually like the HP novels either so I don't know that I'd enjoy the play or the script, but from what I've seen the reviews, including the critical ones, of the actual production have been fairly good, much more consistently than reactions by fans to the script have been.  My sense is that perhaps a lot of people that bought this because of the HP connection are just not all that used to reading plays and so it doesn't really meet their expectations.

Edited by Bluegoat

I am sad. The play seemed like a rehash of old plotlines. In many ways, all of those alternative timelines were just playing with the idea of what could have happened if things had gone differently at the tournament.

I was hoping for something novel and intriguing. Ron, Hermione and Harry felt like tired middle aged spoofs of themselves.

• Like 2

I thought in general it was ok.  I think visually it is a lot better than as a read but most plays are.  I was upset on how the characters differ from how JK said they were after she wrote Deathly Hallows.  Ron and Harry are supposed to be Aurors and Hermione is supposed to be in Law Enforcement (which appear to be slightly different departments) not the Minister of Magic.  

http://www.today.com/popculture/finished-potter-rowling-tells-what-happens-next-2D80555133

I did like the friendship between Albus and Scorpius.  I think I can see that happening.  I also liked the development of Albus.  I think there could be some real depth there and some of it does come out in the play.  It would have been nice to develop Scorpius more but I think there was a fairly good background there.  I am thinking that this could have even been another series for her.

• Like 2

Ron running the joke shop was a big miss for me. That was Fred and George's thing-and their gift. Having Ron, who wanted to be different from his brothers, end up basically turning into one of them and living in his wife's shadow was so unlike his characterization in the books that it honestly felt like they'd forgotten which Weasley Hermione married!

• Like 8

Overall I liked it. It felt somewhat cheesy to me but I feel like I can't give it a "final grade" without having seen it on stage. A script just isn't going to do justice.

I completely agree with not liking where Ron ended up. She really must not like him or think much of him and I found that sad. He can be a doofus but he has his redeeming qualities and I didn't see much of them.

The whole Umbridge guessing that Snape wasn't "for reals" uh no. If Voldemort didn't realize that Snape was a double than there is no way Umbridge would, even after so much time. Or that's my opinion anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Overall I liked it. It felt somewhat cheesy to me but I feel like I can't give it a "final grade" without having seen it on stage. A script just isn't going to do justice.

I completely agree with not liking where Ron ended up. She really must not like him or think much of him and I found that sad. He can be a doofus but he has his redeeming qualities and I didn't see much of them.

The whole Umbridge guessing that Snape wasn't "for reals" uh no. If Voldemort didn't realize that Snape was a double than there is no way Umbridge would, even after so much time. Or that's my opinion anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heh. Yeah. Good point.

See this is why I can't bring myself to read it :( I truly feel that JKR screwed up the last book by rushing in writing it and by trying to make everyone happy and keep all the main characters alive. There is no way IMO that Hermione could have ever been happy with Ron - they fought constantly and want different things in life. I don't see him being happy with a career wife - he wants a wife like his mom. She needs someone to be able to bounce ideas off, and lets face it Ron isn't the brightest bulb in the box. 

*slinks back to my happy world of fanfic where Ron dies instead of Fred, and Snape lives!*

Edited by frugalmamatx
  • Like 4

I am almost at the end, just learned who Delphi is and taking a little break.  The only emotionally affecting part for me so far is Cedric's saving the two boys.   Was he markedly good looking in the book? I remember him being popular and a good kid but, when I hear "good looking" being his dominant trait  all I can think of is the heartthrob actor from the movie.

I didn't hate it, but it definitely read like middling fanfic.  Not bad, not top notch, not memorable. 

I think I'd really like Scorpious in book form. 

It does make me want to go read some really good fanfic.

• Like 2

Cedric was definitely a heartthrob in the books too.

And, of course, a certainly sparkly vampire played him in the movies.

Delphi just didn't work for me as a villain. I think I wasn't picturing her right, you know? And she stuck out as the only new character other than some minor random kids.

• Like 1

I thought the book was kind of fun... but definitely felt like fanfic. I could see how it would be better on stage as an experience rather than as an addition to the HP canon.

The fact that Delphi kept randomly showing up at Hogwarts, and that her presence didn't trigger alarm bells for anyone, was kind of unbelievable.

The whole "let's save Cedric" storyline was kind of too random for me.

A pregnant Bellatrix.... I just can't.

However, I loved the Trolley Witch's secret persona. That may have been the best scene in the whole script.

• Like 3

However, I loved the Trolley Witch's secret persona. That may have been the best scene in the whole script.

Yes! Definitely awesome how she's been the same Trolley Witch for ages!

• Like 2

See this is why I can't bring myself to read it :( I truly feel that JKR screwed up the last book by rushing in writing it and by trying to make everyone happy and keep all the main characters alive. There is no way IMO that Hermione could have ever been happy with Ron - they fought constantly and want different things in life. I don't see him being happy with a career wife - he wants a wife like his mom. She needs someone to be able to bounce ideas off, and lets face it Ron isn't the brightest bulb in the box. 

*slinks back to my happy world of fanfic where Ron dies instead of Fred, and Snape lives!*

another vote for JKR doesn't like Ron much.  she has said, flat out, she should have paired harry and hermione. 

• Like 1

another vote for JKR doesn't like Ron much.  she has said, flat out, she should have paired harry and hermione. 

I could see Harry/Hermione working, but honestly she needs someone who challenges her intellectually. I could easily see her with either of the Weasley twins, Charlie, or even perhaps a reformed Draco {the fact that he chose to deny it was them under pressure says a lot to me}. Or going for someone older such as Snape {and yes I'm going to flamed for it, but remember he is only 18-ish years older than her and less if you count the time turner} since age differences between partners is less of an issue in wizarding relationships since they live longer. 

I could see Harry/Hermione working, but honestly she needs someone who challenges her intellectually. I could easily see her with either of the Weasley twins, Charlie, or even perhaps a reformed Draco {the fact that he chose to deny it was them under pressure says a lot to me}. Or going for someone older such as Snape {and yes I'm going to flamed for it, but remember he is only 18-ish years older than her and less if you count the time turner} since age differences between partners is less of an issue in wizarding relationships since they live longer.

No, no, no. Snape is her Professor!

Hermione with Charlie, maybe, or Bill had he not met Fleur. I think Bill was the only one besides Hermione who quoted from Hogwarts, A History.

But I was never a Harry/Her ione shipper, because it just cannot be true that Ron really is second fiddle in every case.

• Like 1

I've always been a Hermione/Ron shipper. They were meant to be together. And the books are clearly written as such. And it's bizarre how JKR keeps trying to rewrite her own work to please the shippers.

Y'all know that there's an insane amount of Hermione/Snape fic out there, right? There was a moment in the alternate timeline with Snape where I thought it was going to go there. Snape and Hermione clearly really got along in a way they never have before and I was like, omg, has JKR been reading the fic? What is happening here! But then, no, it just became a sort of lame Ron and Hermione never noticed each other but now are meant to be together thing. And I even like them together but I thought that was silly. They've been living under a tree together on the run for years and they've never thought about it? Whatever.

• Like 3

I've always been a Hermione/Ron shipper. They were meant to be together. And the books are clearly written as such. And it's bizarre how JKR keeps trying to rewrite her own work to please the shippers.

Y'all know that there's an insane amount of Hermione/Snape fic out there, right? There was a moment in the alternate timeline with Snape where I thought it was going to go there. Snape and Hermione clearly really got along in a way they never have before and I was like, omg, has JKR been reading the fic? What is happening here! But then, no, it just became a sort of lame Ron and Hermione never noticed each other but now are meant to be together thing. And I even like them together but I thought that was silly. They've been living under a tree together on the run for years and they've never thought about it? Whatever.

Yep - I've probably read about 75% of that fanfic :) I was SOO hoping when it looked like it could happen that it would....and then I cried when Snape died. 

• Like 1

I hope I'm not too late on this thread, but I just finished HP & the CC, and I was really disappointed.  I came in with low expectations, and even so, was let down.

Before I read the script, many people claimed that the fact that this was a script, and not a novel would be a problem for many readers.  I was surprised at how much this *wasn't* a problem for me.  Although, I was surprised by the large number of very short scenes.  It seems like that would make it hard to stage.  I didn't keep track, but some acts had something like 20 scenes?

Still, what I think I like best about the HP world is, as Farrar said above, is JKR's world building.  Her world is so rich, with details added in every book about how the wizarding world works, from banking to sports to household chores.  Almost nothing new was added in this script, almost no new interesting characters, except for the Trolley Witch, again, who may have been the best part of the book.  The major magical device in the play is just a rehash of a device we've seen before, the time turner.

And the time travel was problematic on several levels.  Revisiting old JKR scenes seems like creative cheating, because we're always looking for new details about the world.

I would much rather have read about Scorpius and Albus having some new adventures together at Hogwarts or elsewhere, not involving you-know-who, or even their parents.

• Like 2

I finished it yesterday, and I'm disappointed.

So the original story was by both JKR and John Tiffany, and it was adapted for the stage by Jack Thorne? I'm guessing there's hardly anything actually created by JKR in the final script. It just doesn't feel like something she created.

• Like 2

I liked it better than I thought I would, but my expectations were sub-basement level. I kind of liked the expansion of the idea of "aren't time-turners a horrible idea?" I didn't really care about any of the characters at all, though that may have been better had I watched it. I kept wanting Scorpious to be developed. I'm glad I borrowed a copy from the library and would almost certainly watch it on stage if it were convenient, but I don't plan to buy a copy.

Does anyone have fav HP fanfics to recommend to me? It's been a decade since I read one.

The only HP fanfic that I've read, DH wrote for our daughters. It's five full-length novels paralleling the final five Rowling books from the point of view of a (non-evil) Slitherin student.  They have their own characters and plot arcs, but do have the whole Harry Potter characters and stories happening in the background, so to speak.  I'm biased, obviously, but I think they are quite good. :closedeyes:

• Like 2

The only HP fanfic that I've read, DH wrote for our daughters. It's five full-length novels paralleling the final five Rowling books from the point of view of a (non-evil) Slitherin student. They have their own characters and plot arcs, but do have the whole Harry Potter characters and stories happening in the background, so to speak. I'm biased, obviously, but I think they are quite good. :closedeyes:

Wow! Please do share the link. Dd and I would like to read these. :)
  • Like 2

I'm halfway through this very long fanfic with Scorpius, Albus and Rose and I'm really enjoying it. Much more satisfying than the "real thing" --- but of course this is a full novel, not a play.  It is well plotted, and the characters thinking processes (kids under stress trying hard to do the right thing) very much remind me of the original books....   http://archiveofourown.org/works/373224/chapters/608435

• Like 2

The only HP fanfic that I've read, DH wrote for our daughters. It's five full-length novels paralleling the final five Rowling books from the point of view of a (non-evil) Slitherin student.  They have their own characters and plot arcs, but do have the whole Harry Potter characters and stories happening in the background, so to speak.  I'm biased, obviously, but I think they are quite good. :closedeyes:

Please PM me as well if he agrees to share. My dd12 and I love reading HP fan fic.

What an awesome dad your girls have!

• Like 2

Please PM me as well if he agrees to share. My dd12 and I love reading HP fan fic.

What an awesome dad your girls have!

DH has agreed to let me share.  If anyone else wants a copy of the first book as PDF, please PM me an email address and I'll send it right out.  Please don't post on this thread because it is likely I'll not notice. Plus, I feel bad for highjacking the OP's intent of the thread in the first place (Sorry!).

If you have young children, I would advise you to pre-read the books. Not all parents would be comfortable with the topics included. The main character and his mom have suffered physical abuse at the hands of his father. These are not sweet innocent stories.

I read the book/play this weekend. Sitting at the dining room table. In about two hours. With zucchini chips in case that is important.

I was sorry it was such a fast read as the long dive novels are one of the things I liked best about HP. I get it - this one is a play....

I was not fond of the flashback scenes - hopefully they worked better on stage. I didn't like Delphi in the second half - it was too sudden of a Good-Evil transition for me.

• Like 1

Also a slight thread highjack..

My dd12 wants to read the script.  Is it appropriate in regard to language, sexual content, etc. for that age?

I would say it is no more or no less appropriate that the rest of the canon.  BUT, DO NOT READ IT BEFORE READING THE CANONICAL BOOKS.  (excuse the screaming).

• Like 1

Also a slight thread highjack..

My dd12 wants to read the script. Is it appropriate in regard to language, sexual content, etc. for that age?

I don't want to pre-read yet another book I'm not interested in...

Thanks!

My 8yo read it and was fine with it, so you should be good.

• Like 1

I guess I'm the odd person out: I really disliked the father-son stuff; I thought it was trite pop psychobabble served up with no subltey whatsoever. Something similar could have been developed through more sophisticated means than  "father-son" or "mother-father" conversations full of cliches. 

I finally read it (was on a waiting list at the library). I went in expecting nothing more than author-sanctioned fanfiction, so I wasn't terribly disappointed, but neither was I terribly impressed. I thought it was okay. I'm not going to bother buying it.

I did think there were a few good lines in there, and I liked the Scorpius character--though, as others said, I'd have preferred new stories for the next generation rather than time turning. (And am I the only one bothered by the fact that if Scorpius had been Voldemort's son, he would NOT have been a Malfoy, so it wouldn't actually be a powerful new Malfoy, even if he carried that name? The idea of that being a rumor people would actually believe...just...it seemed like too much of a stretch to me.)

Delphi came across as a pretty lame villain to me. Her reveal was kind of like, "Mwahahahahaha! *I* am the evil one pulling all these strings and this has been my very eeeeeevil plot ALL ALONG!" The series had such well-developed characters, with the tiniest of clues planted here and there (which makes it so wonderful to re-read the books), and this character just was not like that at all. Maybe an actress on the stage can add what's missing to this character; I don't know.

But here is my most important question: Are you guys saying "cursed" with one syllable or two?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finally caved and read this, despite my declarations that I wouldnt. (It was a bday gift, so what could I do?) :p

Anyway, it was better than I expected, but (like someone else said) my expectations were so very low. I liked Scorpius, a lot, but I thought all the adults were annoying caricatures. I also thought it incredibly unbelievable that the boys could interfere with Triwizard tasks, without any of the wizards in attendance noticing.

Anyway, it completes my collection, but I won't feel compelled to read it over like I do the others.

• Like 1

I really have mixed feelings about this book/play which I reviewed here. I think the best review I have seen so far is on Instagram with a picture of the book and someone giving it the finger. Hilarious. A picture is definitely worth a 1,000 words.

I like the idea of Scorpius and Albus being great friends and it mirrors Ron and Harry's friendship w/o the hugging bits. It is something we have completely lost as a society. To view male friendship as only that and not label it a bromance or a future love interest. I think about the camaraderie of the Inklings and how if that occurred now they would all be labeled as a bromance club.

Ă¢â‚¬â€¹I agree about the Trolley Witch comments above. I love that her role was expanded. She was someone I had never given any consideration to before but I am sure there is a huge history of kids trying to get off the Hogwarts Express.

Delphi sucks. So does the idea of Voldemort getting Bellatrix pregnant. Ew. Just ew.