Menu

What do you like for biology?

I have already looked all over the boards, did a search, and read the pinned link.

Now please tell me what you personally have liked for biology, please, and you can expand on that. Like "I loved this because it went in to great detail and my child is going to medical school next year" and "I liked this because it checked a box, was no effort for me, and my child struggles a lot" or "I liked this because we really wanted an ecology and plant focus" and so on. And..add in "while I loved this program for us, I would not use it if my child did not have chemistry first" and so on.

Thank you so much!

edited to add: I am currently using Science Shepherd. I am not liking it at all. I can see many others have loved it. I am thinking of switching to either Oak Meadow or Apologia. I am open to other suggestions. I am also worried the grass is simply greener on the other side. Or maybe THIS is something I really should be outsourcing.

Edited by Janeway

I've taught out of the Campbell Reece Concepts and Connections text and find that to be an excellent textbook for a more advanced high school student.  DD, alas, wanted to use the Miller Levine text for high school, which I find OK but thought was too busy with useless pictures and sidebars.  I will say that I do not like to buy kits for biology labs, but prefer to grab hold of a lab manual like Pendarvis and Crawley and pick and choose my labs and then order the materials I need to get them done.

I liked Campbell Concepts and Connections for DD (who is not a biology lover). Very straightforward, good explanations, not dumbed down but not as overwhelming as Campbell's "Biology" text. A workbook/study guide is available which we started using and then abandoned - but some kids like this kind of stuff. CD-Rom with activities available as well; I bought used - we did not use it much either.

With DS, who liked bio even less, we took it down a notch and used Campbell's Exploring Life, an easier and thinner version of the book. 

I had Miller/Levine and disliked it. I found the layout distracting with too much colorful stuff and unnecessary illustrations, and it felt simplified compared to Campbell. I ended up giving the book away.

ETA: Since you mention chemistry: having chemistry before biology is very beneficial. Otherwise, the amount of chemistry in modern biology can be overwhelming.  I would always recommend a physics-chemistry-biology sequence.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

I've got several Bio books. Miller-Levine is okay, seemed a bit light.  The Campbell book might be too much for my kiddo's.  I have another textbook that I'm really liking it's called Bioinquiry (3rd edition).  It's College level (probably just intro for non majors) but I like how easy it is to understand without feeling dumbed down. Plus I got it from Belltower Books for a couple bucks and $1 shipping.  I'm actually looking for a second copy since I'm about to give mine to my nephew (also a HSer).  

I'm with Regentrude (some of her posts on the topic are what convinced me), Physics first followed by Chem then Bio makes the most sense.  The Physics, for us, was very conceptual but if my kids are interested they can do a more in depth their Jr/Sr year. 

• Like 1

I liked Campbell Concepts and Connections for DD (who is not a biology lover). Very straightforward, good explanations, not dumbed down but not as overwhelming as Campbell's "Biology" text. A workbook/study guide is available which we started using and then abandoned - but some kids like this kind of stuff. CD-Rom with activities available as well; I bought used - we did not use it much either.

With DS, who liked bio even less, we took it down a notch and used Campbell's Exploring Life, an easier and thinner version of the book. 

I had Miller/Levine and disliked it. I found the layout distracting with too much colorful stuff and unnecessary illustrations, and it felt simplified compared to Campbell. I ended up giving the book away.

ETA: Since you mention chemistry: having chemistry before biology is very beneficial. Otherwise, the amount of chemistry in modern biology can be overwhelming.  I would always recommend a physics-chemistry-biology sequence.

I know you told me before, so I am so sorry to ask again...BUT

which physics did you use? I am thinking of changing directions and doing that. I was holding off for Jetta's class as so many have said such good things, but wonder if I should just move forward with it now anyway. And I was also considering Novare and Hewitts on our own.

I know you told me before, so I am so sorry to ask again...BUT

which physics did you use? I am thinking of changing directions and doing that. I was holding off for Jetta's class as so many have said such good things, but wonder if I should just move forward with it now anyway. And I was also considering Novare and Hewitts on our own.

I have used College Physics by Knight, Jones and Field with both my kids as their 9th grade science course.

If you search the archives you will find a post in which I linked schedules of assignments for both semesters.

It is the text I have chose to use in one of my classes.

• Like 1

My oldest liked Campbell's Essential Biology, she thought it had great explanations and was interesting. It was a very modern course with lots of cellular biology. It was time-consuming but she enjoyed it. She made me keep the book for reference. 

My youngest was like, um, NO! She went with Holt Biology, which was definitely easier but a solid course. Pretty good explanations and you can buy the online component so tests and so forth are all done for you. 

I don't disagree with physics first, necessarily, but most students are not going to be ready for anything but conceptual physics in 9th-grade, due to the math. 

The difficulty level seems to follow the standard sequence of bio, chem, physics. Youngest used Holt for both bio and chem, and the chem was noticeably more difficult and contained more math. Most publishers are clearly expecting bio to be 9th and chem to be 10th. 

I think you (the teacher) would have to pick texts carefully to change the sequence, or have a very strong student, or have a lot of background knowledge yourself. 

Miller Levine seems to be getting knocked around a bit in this thread, but my dd is really enjoying it. She says the explanations are clear, the note-taking tips in the book are helpful, and the study materials are good. She also really likes the supplemental bits, such as the chapter mystery, the Quick Labs, and the Biology in Action (or whatever it's called) at the ends of the chapters. There are tons of supplemental materials available from the publisher, the authors, and high school biology teachers.

The iPad version is a nice resource to complement the book.

I looked at several college texts for dd and she chose Miller Levine. I think it is a fine choice for a first year biology class in high school, and more than half of the (nearly 2 dozen) honors biology syllabi I looked at online used Miller Levine.

• Like 4

Well, we liked Science Shepherd, so not sure how much help I can be.  I can tell you why we settled on it though.  First, I needed a program with TM and/or Solutions manual.  I wanted something we could do labs at home.  A few years ago when I was looking for oldest dd, we settled on BJU.  BJU is an excellent, well rounded program, but it is very ambitious and fast paced.  Dd was having trouble retaining the info.  She did not like the chatty style of Apologia and I wanted a program that included A/P, so that ruled out Apologia for us.  I knew I was going to cover Bio, Chemistry, Physics, and Equine Science in high school, so I didn't want a bio program that would take 2 years.  Abeka had quite a bit of botany, which neither dd or I liked, so that ruled out Abeka.  At the time, I could not find a copy of Miller Levine or Holt locally so we could get a good look at it.  So, we settled on SS.  It was a good fit for dd.  Not too chatty.  Not too fast paced.  The mostly black and white charts and illustrations were not my favorite, but I used the BJU text, online resources, or other books when necessary.  There might be other programs out there that will fit the bill for you better than what you are using or there might not be.  An IRL friend liked PAC, but I have not seen nor used it so I can't comment further.

Wait...Abeka had a lot of botany? I had ruled that out as I thought Abeka is weak. But my son really wanted a botany heavy program. Do you think this could be a good way for us to go?

Look at the abeka website.  You can click on biology and look at the table of contents.  Botany is the first chapter

We have used Miller-Levine.  Oldest used it in a co-op setting and now second ds will do it at home with me.  Mine don't plan to pursue science in college but are good students.  For us it fits the bill for more than "check the box and get it done" but less than AP or advanced level work.  

Not sure you were really looking to outsource but if anyone else is interested our previous co-op teacher has put her class online and will be teaching it there (using Miller Levine) this year.  http://www.fundafundaacademy.com/product/biology/  I can't vouch for the class in the online format but I do know the teacher is highly qualified and dedicated.  She has a PhD in biology but is now a homeschool mom.  She really loves biology and loves teaching and it comes across in the class.  In the co-op format the homework was manageable and applicable and she was good about feedback.  She really cares about the students and wants them all to be successful. If I had realized the class was going online I would have planned on it for my current biology student but I had already promised no more online classes for him :)

Again, not sure you wanted to outsource but so many people lurk on these threads and are interested in the Miller Levine text that I wanted to put it out there.  

• Like 4

It's from a creationist standpoint, so I wouldn't trust it to be non-biased and unadulterated science.  I doubt they teach factual evolution, which is the unifying theme of biology.

Has anyone tried the biology course layed out on Guest Hollow? It looks like it has different components to it to keep it interesting.
http://guesthollow.com/biology/

Has anyone tried the biology course layed out on Guest Hollow? It looks like it has different components to it to keep it interesting.

http://guesthollow.com/biology/

We are using it this year with a potential Biology major.  She adjusted a Bio text book(free online) and made her own worksheets.  She removed the evolution sections and added in creationism.  We will skip her edited sections and just read and do the worksheets out of the online textbook.  I also bought an evolution interactive notebook to make it more fun to learn.  We will skip the Ken Ham books(I AM NOT A FAN) that are scheduled in.  She has some great add ons in the revised text(video links, activities, humor)  It looks fun. :)  We are young earth creationists, but I want our dd(a scientist in the making!) to have a good idea of what is the current accepted views of science.

We are not using the Lab book she scheduled.  She also added in virtual labs, optional hands on labs,etc.  We are using Experiences in Biology for the lab component.

We are using it this year with a potential Biology major. She adjusted a Bio text book(free online) and made her own worksheets. She removed the evolution sections and added in creationism. We will skip her edited sections and just read and do the worksheets out of the online textbook. I also bought an evolution interactive notebook to make it more fun to learn. We will skip the Ken Ham books(I AM NOT A FAN) that are scheduled in. She has some great add ons in the revised text(video links, activities, humor) It looks fun. :) We are young earth creationists, but I want our dd(a scientist in the making!) to have a good idea of what is the current accepted views of science.

We are not using the Lab book she scheduled. She also added in virtual labs, optional hands on labs,etc. We are using Experiences in Biology for the lab component.

Yes, my daughter wants to be a marine biologist, and so she's going to need to learn about evolution. I like the different virtual labs and videos that are added in this curriculum. I looked at the lab book you mentioned and it looks nice. What evolution interactive notebook are you using?

We used (use) Apologia and love it! I know it's not for everybody, and that's fine, but since you mentioned it as one of your possibilities I'll give it a plug. Dr. Wile's voice comes through really well in the textbooks and my kids think of him as their own personal science teacher. :) He explains things well and while he is young earth creationist, he's not over the top like some Apologia stuff can be. It's very hands-off for me, except for ordering the dissection kits and checking over their lab reports and giving the tests. It's easy to schedule. And an admission officer at Purdue specifically told a mom I know that they look for Dr. Wile's name on homeschooled kids transcripts because they know it means they'll be prepared for college level science.

The dissections really make the course, in my opinion, so don't skip those even if you think they're gross. :) We got together with some friends who were doing biology too and just googled some youtube videos of how to do the dissections instead of following the book's directions. It was one of the highlights of that year, for sure!

I'm going to toss out a new one for the biology lover who really enjoys ectotherms. DD11 got a copy of Life: The Science of Biology at the ASIH book raffle this year, and is using it for her advanced biology this fall (which will likely end in either the AP and SAT2 or CLEP and SAT2 tests). It's a big book, very detailed, with a great deal of online content that is linked via QR code (which also means that if you can find it used, the digital content still works). The team of writers includes an excellent evolutionary biologist who focuses on amphibians and an entomologist, and as a result, a lot of the model organisms aren't the usual ones. It's detailed and in depth, but not as dry feeling as Campbell, which feels about like reading a reference book. This is a college majors level text, so it's much more than a high school kid who doesn't love biology needs, but it stands up extremely well to Campbell for the kid who needs/wants a very in-depth bio.

https://smile.amazon.com/Life-Science-David-E-Sadava/dp/1429298642/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470924475&sr=8-1&keywords=life+10th+edition

We also have the Holt homeschool edition because DD is doing science labs with a group that is doing it, and I think it would be a good "get it done" for a non-bio focused kid, or as a first run for a kid who is going to take AP or DE bio while in high school. DD finds the book easy, but likes the online content. There are two versions of almost all the handouts, worksheets, etc-the A is much simpler than the B.

• Like 2

Teachermom2834, do you know if she uses the macaw book or the dragonfly book?

If you click the biology link on that page, it link to the 2010 Macaw one on Amazon. My kid who has no interest in bio likes that book.

ETA:

I emailed and the teacher said the class is asynchronous and the iBook version would be ok too.

Edited by Arcadia

Yes, my daughter wants to be a marine biologist, and so she's going to need to learn about evolution. I like the different virtual labs and videos that are added in this curriculum. I looked at the lab book you mentioned and it looks nice. What evolution interactive notebook are you using?

This is the interactive notebook we are using.

• Like 1

Ok... I'm going to share what we're planning.  It's really different, but it fits my kid and our circumstances.

Just a bit of background: 

• My ds (16 yo) is going into 11th grade.  He has always been fascinated with dinosaurs and biological wonders.  He has always "studied" biology- he's wired to take life in from this viewpoint. To him, everything ties into biology somehow.  
  • He is an artist!  He is never without a drawing pad and pencil.  ALWAYS!
  • He studied Conceptual Physics in 9th grade and Apologia Chemistry in 10th grade
  • He thinks he wants to go into geology.  If this pans out, I want him to take more science, and time is not on our side. He is going to do College Physics in 11th and an advanced chemistry (I wish I knew which one!) in 12th.  He has not taken biology yet in high school, so I'm going to do half of biology in 11th and half in 12th.  I know this sounds messy.  It is what it is.

So, this year, ds is going to use Thinkwell Biology CDs from Amazon as a spine.  We'll cover half of the lesson plan this year and the other half in his senior year.  He will take notes on the lectures.  Then he will do a variety of activities to make the lecture material concrete in his mind.  Things such as draw the ______ cycle, label the parts of ______, restate in your own words how _______ works. Answer end of chapter questions in _______ textbook.   I have four secular biology books:  Campbell's Biology 8th ed (I think), Campbell's Concepts and Connections (5th edition), Miller Levine Dragonfly, and Exploring the Way Life Works. He will use all of these books to get an overall feel for the concepts discussed in Thinkwell lectures.

We are a Christian family, and I want ds to consider the Christian vs secular viewpoints.  Based on Guest Hollow's suggestion, I have incorporated the Answers books.  (I really dislike when Christian and secular scientists argue.  It looks very childish.) However, these books will give ds a jumping off point for research.  He will also Google search verses about Creation.  This will become his Bible credit which is something our cover school requires.

The notes and drawings ds will generate will go into a big 11x17 drawing book.  It will be BEAUTIFUL when it is finished.  It is called a BILL: Biology Illustrated Learning Log.  See this website:

http://www.thebiologyspace.com/home/For-Students/bill--the-biology-interactive-learning-log

Also, I'm using Quarks biology lesson plans as a reference tool in conjunction with Thinkwell. She incorporates some videos and supplementary activities including labs.

I don't really plan to test.  Not in the traditional sense.  Ds will show/tell what he is learning.  I will expect his BILL to be done orderly and neatly.  

It may be helpful to note that Thinkwell is not an introductory biology.  It can be used as AP.  Because ds did a physics approach to science and because he is naturally biology-oriented, I wanted to kick biology up a notch.  Also, the Thinkwell CDs from Amazon didn't automatically work on my computer.  With much blood, sweat, and tears I figured out how to use them.  I know this sounds strange.  I won't try to explain except to say I had to use Windows Media Player to make them work.  Using the CDs means I am only using the lectures on the CDs and NOT getting anything from the Thinkwell source.  This also allows us to be able to take two school years to get biology done.  It works for our needs.  It may not be enough for others.

I'm excited about biology.  Doing it this way makes the course tailor-made for ds.  It allows for him delving deeply into the concepts he is most interested in.  Oh, I won't make him document every detail of the lectures.  Only what he considers important or interesting.  I want him to be proud of his BILL when biology is finished. 

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama
  • Like 1

I'm also tailoring biology this year, doing it very out-of-the box. We're focusing on ecology, evolution, and the natural history of our state. 

My dd is a writer, reader, actor, musician and artist.  She doesn't dislike math & science, but it doesn't light her fire. I am a biologist/ecologist, so I decided that we do topics *I'm* excited about, competent to teach, and will enjoy teaching.  I think/hope that my passion for the subject will at least make it more engaging/interesting for dd.  I was trying to picture us trying to drag ourselves through a science that neither of us was that excited about, and just thought . . . no. And she does see the value in learning about the world around her, she's gotten exposure to a lot of these topics just being a part of our family! 

We're using a whole huge hodge-podge of resources, from Miller's Living in the Environment text to a bunch of HHMI/Biointeractive.org materials to trade books, field guides, etc.  Biointeractive has some labs we're going to do, and we're also doing a few from Argument Driven Inquiry in Biology and Watershed Science Investigations.  

This will give her a life science w/ lab question and teach her about the world she lives in, as well as teaching her lab/investigation skills. It's a chance to get outside and explore our region. It lets me share my own knowledge/interests with her. Maybe it will light a fire or lead to other interests, maybe not.  If not, we may just turn science into a check-off subject and look to outsource it in future. Time will tell.

We are using Campbell Biology 6th edition along with Great Courses Biology and Landry Academy Biology intensive for the lab portion.  Can't say whether we love it or not, though, since we don't start it until next week. lol

I had planned to use CK12.org with a science kit for labs... that planned evolved over the summer.  Hopefully, for the better.