Menu

S/o sort of-why wear underwear (mostly boys)

lovinmyboys

So, a few years ago one of my boys absolutely refused to wear underwear. Well, all of his brothers then decided they didn't want to wear underwear either. Now I think I could get them to go back to wearing underwear if I have a good reason. It is sort of embarrassing, but I'm not sure I know why underwear for young boys is necessary.

• Like 1

Men's gym shorts have built in underwear. They also have zippered pockets sized for ID cards. I'm jealous of those features.

My husband's gym shorts don't have built in underwear. My workout gear has the ID and cash sized pocket. I won't buy any that do not have that pocket.

• Like 1

I totally get that. I am really showing my ignorance here, but is it different to have streak marks on underwear than on shorts or pants if they change their shorts at the same interval they would change their underwear?

I can wash and dry underwear on hot with strong detergent. I can't do that for dress or athletic pants. And it's not just marks, its the sweat and (for ladies) discharge.

Also, if someone rips their pants in the seat or crotch area (and this has happened more than once in my family, lol), they don't have their bare butt or um, dangly bits, hanging out.

• Like 15

True story

My high school boyfriend had "testicular torsion" from playing basketball without wearing underwear. Apparently this very painful *twist* of events can be avoided by wearing a pair of nice, tight underwear. Said boyfriend passed out from the pain, but a couple of days laying around to unwind fixed the problem.

• Like 2

It's the zippers that would worry me if I had dangly bits. 

There was an episode in ER (or Grey's?) where it was caught in the zipper.... 

But many dudes go commando anyway.   

and while we're at it - this is why I don't get boxers. They do nada. There's still flopping and hanging.  A nice men's bikini undie is much nicer IMO under dress pants. 

• Like 1

It's the zippers that would worry me if I had dangly bits.

There was an episode in ER (or Grey's?) where it was caught in the zipper....

But many dudes go commando anyway.

and while we're at it - this is why I don't get boxers. They do nada. There's still flopping and hanging. A nice men's bikini undie is much nicer IMO under dress pants.

Boxers are much better for the chafe... Especially in summer

Seeing as this is a kinda tmi thread anyway.

Zippers.

Less that needs to be changed daily and washed.

Small boys less likely to 'grab themselves' when wearing underwear (just my observation).

And to be blunt: less chance of anyone else noticing anything dangling out (or poking forward).

• Like 1

My son refused to wear underwear for a little while, because he found anything confining very uncomfortable (sensory issues) and didn't like the floppiness of boxers.  He only wore soft shorts and sweat pants so no zipper concerns.  He finally was willing to wear boxer briefs - they fit somewhat snug like briefs but have longer legs so no elastic around the bottom.

I can only tell you that wearing underwear hasn't been an issue here since the boys were maybe 2 or 3.  They have always worn underwear (or pull ups, or diapers) by that point.  It's the getting them to wear PANTS that's the issue!!!  These last two just absolutely, positively, hate pants.  So underwear is an obvious requirement!

My rules for underpants:

1. Undies under PJs or soft pants is optional.

2. Underthings are required for rough fabrics, zippers and shorts.

I have suggested my oldest try going commando because he is always adjusting stuff. I think he might be better off with fewer layers bunching up. He is older and not super active. I think he could be decent without the extra containment.

drips

I don't know, I'm under the impression a lot of boys, even men, may drip despite their best efforts. We've even discussed this with our doctor. Negative test for UTI. Dunno if there's another underlying medical issue, but I think it can happen to lots of males.

Another reason, seems that males often "spread eagle". Don't need to accidentally flash people LOL. And sweat. If they are sweaty, I would rather them have another layer of clothing to soak up the sweat. Ugh.