Menu

What kind of board games have been big hits with your family?

Do you mean that they like? Or that dh & I can stomach, too?

We can stand (& they LOVE) Memory. We can all stand Wahoo. There's a kid-version of Scrabble that's ok.

I think we all really enjoy the 10-dot dominoes, though. It's not too impossible for 5yo & not too mindless for the adults.

Fwiw, this list has not changed in the last couple of yrs. When dd was 3yo, she could pretty much do the same things.

We play lots of games. Blokus, Apples to Apples Jr., dominoes(we just learned how to really play...what fun!), mancala, Sorry, Memory, many of the Cranium games, No Peeking, Mystery Garden and other Ravensburger games. Oh, so many....I could go on all day! Have fun!

Settlers of Catan (which we play with our 5yo, but is intended for older kids; he does very well for himself)

Mystery of the Abbey (recommended to us by Kay in CA on this here board! -- think Clue on steroids, with medieval flavor, and loads of fun)

We haven't tried, but do own

Thurn and Taxis (also recommended to us by Kay in CA)

HTH

We think the Family Pastimes cooperative games are fun. And also Aristoplay has some unusual ones that we can all play. You can find both of those brands here:

http://www.fun-books.com/

We all play Life quite a bit too, the younger ones need help counting money sometimes but can play most of it without help. And I'll add another vote for Blokus.

Family games:

Imaginiff

Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader?

Family Feud

These are all games which can be played with more than 6 people. Many games have a max of six players or turns take too long and kids (and adults!) lose interest. Our favorite, by far, is Imaginiff. It's a great family bonding game, if you don't mind a bit of self-deprivation and gently poking fun at each other.

We really like Carcassonne now but it's listed as 8 & up. It can be played more cooperatively though so you could help the younger. It requires strategic thinking.

This is our favorite too. We play it with a 5, 8 and 10 year old. The 5 year old needs help and sometimes leaves the game early but still very much enjoys herself. The 8 year old has been playing for almost a year, has amost no strategy and wins 90% of the time he plays. The 10 year old, DH, and myself play quite competitively and still lose to the 8 year old. My kids would play it everyday if we had time. We have all the expansion packs but only use the rules from the first couple of sets (each expansion pack add another level of complexity if you chose to use those rules) because its easier for everyone to keep track of.

Settlers of Catan is a huge favorite here, too, but it is for children who are a bit older. Last year I bought Quoridor for the family. It's a strategy game that can be played well by even 6yodd, which my highly competitive self is finding rather annoying. It's fine when I let a child lose; it's not fine when I try to win and can't. ;) Anyway, Quoridor is a good game for 2 or 4 players that also has the bonus of being able to be played quickly.

Jennifer

They've already been mentioned, but I'll add my :iagree: to Settlers of Cataan, Carcassone, and Blokus. My 6 and 7 year old enjoy all three.

The Cranium games are fun too, my three like Hullabaloo to play on their own. My 4 year old loves Sequence for Kids.

Uno is easy enough for all of them, the only challenge is trying to hold a handful of cards.

Cranium Cadoo & Clue are still favourites.

Those are the two we continually pull out as well. Sometimes we just play with the characters in the clue board and I always do voices for each character.

Another game we like is Sorry. That one is great to teach that life is not always fair and grace. I believe we've had more character discussions over that board than any other one.

eta: UNO is a great one, we had the pooh bear version when ds was little.

We had the same problem with my dd - but I got a set of card holders from Super Duper, and they have worked out great...http://www.superduperinc.com/products/view.aspx?pid=CH04

They've already been mentioned, but I'll add my

Uno is easy enough for all of them, the only challenge is trying to hold a handful of cards.

Blokus is another favorite here. DS 10 really likes "In a Pickle", and we all love to play Cranium's Whoonu.

Heather in MD