Menu

Question for amateur photographers (wedding photography)

marbel

My daughter is a good amateur photographer.  She's taken a lot of photos of friends, church events, still life/nature photos. Next year she will probably do some senior photos for friends. She has a good DSLR, a tripod, and an external flash unit.

A few days ago she was asked to photograph a wedding.  The couple is well-known to us; they are friends but not close friends.  They are pretty low-key, casual people, very nice young couple.  Still...

She turned the opportunity down and now is getting some flack about it from family  members.  I agree with my daughter that she is not ready for a photo event with no opportunity for do-overs.  She has no backup equipment other than extra batteries, no experience even as a photographer's assistant at a wedding.  I think she's only been to 2 weddings in her life, and one was when she was 3 years old.

Just curious what you amateur photographers think about doing a wedding under those circumstances.   Your answers won't change anything; she's not even going to know I asked this question here.   I'm just curious because there are some people who seem to think it's no big deal and she was stupid to pass up the opportunity. 

BTW they were offering to pay her, so they didn't want free photos.  I think they truly do want to give her an opportunity. 

ETA: She would have been happy to do it for free for the experience, as a second photographer.  She did not want the pressure of  being the only photographer (other than guests taking casual shots). 

Edited by marbel

I would have done it for free. My brother and some friends did it for free for my wedding so I had plenty of photos.

Most weddings I have attended had an official photographer and some friends and/or relatives doing for free. No conflict there.

I think it is easier now with everything digital. We had digital and film camera for wedding photos so our friends who used film actually paid for developing prints as a gift to us.

• Like 1

I would have done it for free. My brother and some friends did it for free for my wedding so I had plenty of photos.

Most weddings I have attended had an official photographer and some friends and/or relatives doing for free. No conflict there.

I think it is easier now with everything digital. We had digital and film camera for wedding photos so our friends who used film actually paid for developing prints as a gift to us.

I edited my OP. She would have been happy to do it for free as a second photographer, but not as the "main" or only "official" photographer.

• Like 2

I have to agree with your daughter.  I would never shoot a wedding as a primary if I didn't *understand* the format.  Being at a wedding is very different from shooting one.  Shooting second would be a great idea for her.  I did it for two summers before shooting primary, and never without backup equipment as primary.

• Like 6

I've had a photography business, and am back to hobbyist.  I won't do weddings.  I did one paid, for a friend, and I did my nieces because I knew they couldn't afford to hire one.  I regretted agreeing to my niece's, simply because of the stress.  Anyway, I think she did right by turning it down.  You don't get a lot leeway for mistakes, and you have to make a lot of shot decisions on the fly.  Maybe she could offer to be a second shooter, or shoot the reception if she wants the experience.  My 16 year old dd was my second shooter at my niece's wedding.  

• Like 3

It's a personal decision. I personally would stay away from weddings as an amateur photographer as if my life depended on it. I have done senior portraits for a number of people and the results have been very nice. But weddings? Oy. As you said--no re-dos for that.

It also depends on the couple. Some people really honestly don't care at all about the pictures. When I got married, I didn't. I didn't have a photographer other than a friend with a point and shoot. And the pictures are all a bunch of snapshots. There are no posed pictures at all. Just snapshots of the sides of our heads and stuff. But I didn't care. I still don't.

But if the people care...even a little bit? Oh the pressure.

I had a friend who was very new to photography who was asked to take pictures at a low-key wedding and she did and I think they were happy with them. She did an ok job. Not the best ever, but they were nice. But she (the photographer) felt tremendous pressure over getting them right. I know another amateur photographer who takes so-so pictures and she will do wedding pictures for friends and she doesn't feel too much pressure at all.

For me, I can barely stand the pressure of senior portraits and I can redo them if they go wrong. I can't even imagine taking wedding pictures, no matter how low key the people.

But other amateur photographers wouldn't bat an eye at it and would be happy to do the job.

Also! This is important: are the people telling her to take the job photographers? Do they actually know what is involved in getting good pictures? Do they think you just stand there with the camera on auto and snap, snap, snap? Do they know about settings and lighting and white balance and how to direct people into poses and angles? Because I've had a number of people say, "Eh, just take the pictures," without having a clue about how difficult it is.

It's sort of like if someone only eats microwave meals tells you, "Oh, it's not a big deal to make Thanksgiving dinner for 20. Why don't you want to do it?" They have no idea what they're even talking about.

So, unless it's other photographers pressuring her, then she should totally ignore them. And if it's other photographers, then she can still ignore them, because we each have our limits on what job we're comfortable taking on.

• Like 9

I won't want to be the official photographer either.

Is it going to be indoors or outdoors or mixed? The indoor portion of my wedding was relatively easy, similar in nature to studio shots. The outdoor portion was the tough one and needed a crew with a car. My wedding ceremony and celebration was 7am until late evening so very long hours and a few venues.

• Like 2

I've done two weddings for friends.  I think she made the right choice.

If she's interested in photography as a career she could look into the wedding photographers in your area and contact one - either the most successful in the area or the person with the aesthetic closest to hers and ask about being an intern, assistant, or second shooter over the summer wedding season.  If she works as a second shooter she should have a contract that should state she gets to use the photos in her own portfolio AND she gets a copy of the photo releases.  This is assuming she's in the USA where if she's working for someone else and using their equipment they own the copyright to the photos.

• Like 5

I think your daughter is amazingly wise!

When I was taking a photography class, my instructor said exactly this: "As soon as word gets around that you are a good photographer, you will get a request to do a wedding for a friend. Say no. Do not do this for free; don't do it for pay. Just don't do it. There is no possibility of repairing a mistake. White dress and dark suit are hard to expose properly (this was in the era of film, though.) plus, if it is your friend's wedding, you will have zero fun because you will basically be working. So don't do it."

• Like 2

Thanks. 

Some of those who are questioning her are photographers, some are not.  Those who don't have a clue, we don't pay attention to.  :-)  Those who do, think she's missing a great opportunity with little risk.   But they are people who are experienced and confident in their skills, and have forgotten what it was like as a beginner, kwim?   I think it is a high risk.  I don't even look at my wedding photos, ever, but I still think I would have been upset if our photographer had, say, had an equipment failure and no backup equipment and we ended up with no photos at all. 

:-)

• Like 1

She was absolutely right to turn it down. People don't realize how difficult wedding (or, really any large event) photography is, and expect that anyone with a "good" camera and a reasonable level of competence can pull it off. She would be dealing with the disappointment of the couple after the fact, and that is not a fair situation for a fledgling photographer.

I do a moderate amount of event photography, and some portraits, and am regularly asked to do weddings. Once it was a friend asking for her brother. The couple was in their 50s, and it was a 4th wedding (!!!) in a backyard, so she assured me that it was no big deal, that expectations were low. They just wanted cheap. Still, weddings are not my thing, so I referred them to a young photographer who had done a few weddings.

Sure enough, once the photos were delivered, she called me to complain about the young photographer's work (which I think was reasonably competent, but not "years of experienced pro" level.) :-/ I shut that conversation down quickly. I think people don't realize that the same camera in the hands of different photographers can yield very different results. Experience counts, and weddings are a one shot deal.

Edited by Gr8lander
  • Like 4

She made the right call. Weddings are completely different from senior pictures and family portraits; you don't get a second shot if something goes wrong. Add to that that many people have a very strong emotional involvement with their wedding and wedding pictures, and you have a recipe for all kinds of headaches.

Photographing these kinds of large events with many people is difficult anyway.

I commend your DD for her maturity and realistic judgement of her skill level.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

I have done 2 weddings both for free for friends.  I had my dh as a back up although I tend to get better pics than he does.  The first one was well lit and I was fairly comfortable and they turned out fine.  The second one was in a darker church so dh and I went to the rehearsal and shot a roll and had it developed overnight to make sure I didn't need to make significant adjustments.  The thing that really helped with the second wedding is that the bride had modeled before and knew how to work the camera.  They came out really good, but it was a lot of stress and both dh and I put a lot of time into doing both weddings.  

I also know some photographers spend lots of time touching up photos and so forth using portrait software, I don't have that and if I were going to do another one would probably do that.  Dh said he doesn't want to do another one and would rather me not and I can't think of anyone that I would want to take pictures for as a friend at this point.  Most people we know are already married now.

• Like 1

Evil Grin:  Give the names of those eager family members to the bride & groom, as potential photographers!

Wise Daughter. 

Our 22yo son has similarly resisted being the primary photographer, but shoots second all the time (for free) & gets the most amazing candid shots.

Hopefully she can attend this wedding & have FUN watching the primary photographer.  It's a big, big job.

• Like 2

Yeah, I wouldn't want that either.

She should still offer to do it as a backup photographer.

It would be great if that would work out.  She didn't know how to suggest it.  If they hire a professional, that person may have a backup or may not want to have anyone else taking photos.  We'll see...

I would get cynical and conclude they were looking for a deal and to save money, not to do what actually makes sense.  She could do their engagement shoot, sure.  But to ask her to do their wedding, when she has NO experience, is short-sighted on their part and putting her in a bad position.  

And, fwiw, I don't let my dd take money for photos from ANYONE.  If you take ANY money, my understanding is it's considered a business and your homeowner's insurance no longer covers your equipment.  So she can pass the buck on to you and say the truth, that she doesn't have the insurance and isn't ready to do that yet.

Just my personal opinion, but people who want cheap/free work can also be really rude to look for.  They don't realize the time spent in editing, etc., so they blithely ask for things.  She sounds very talented, and when she's ready to build her portfolio there will be no end of people wanting her.  

Thanks. 

Some of those who are questioning her are photographers, some are not.  Those who don't have a clue, we don't pay attention to.  :-)  Those who do, think she's missing a great opportunity with little risk.   But they are people who are experienced and confident in their skills, and have forgotten what it was like as a beginner, kwim?   I think it is a high risk.  I don't even look at my wedding photos, ever, but I still think I would have been upset if our photographer had, say, had an equipment failure and no backup equipment and we ended up with no photos at all. 

:-)

The great opportunity would be to go along as 2nd shooter.  That would be a good opportunity.

People's expectations have absolutely changed.  People see all these weddings on TLC and what events they are and how beautiful the photography is, and they think they'll get that. 

• Like 1

She made the right decision. Maybe she can intern with a wedding photographer to learn the tricks. I think it would be very hard for your daughter to "boss" a wedding party around.

And that alone is a skill that does not always come automatically. This is THE hardest thing for me if someone wants me to take photos for them. I'm not that "bossy" by nature and it's hard for me to say, "could you switch out your daughter's shirt? The Power Puff Girls is distracting. A plain shirt would be better..."

People's expectations have absolutely changed.  People see all these weddings on TLC and what events they are and how beautiful the photography is, and they think they'll get that. 

Yes, that is so true. And they see photos on Pinterest and Instagram, and think those shots just happen effortlessly as long as one has a "good" camera.

• Like 2

I *think* that these people are not out to get cheap photography.  I mean, I'm sure they are looking to save money.  But I don't think it's "let's get this kid to do it on the cheap."  Knowing them, they probably do see it as an opportunity for her, but they don't get it that no one just goes and shoots a wedding without prior experience, unless it's an extremely casual, outdoor affair.   And, while they can think their expectations are low and they don't need best quality, they may end up disappointed when it's over  - but they can't see that now. 

I think she made the right decision too. It's quite a full-on thing being a wedding photographer. And there are things like insurance that she should really have sorted out just in case as well as backup equipment. Second shooting for another photographer could be a really good opportunity though if it arises but then the photographer they chose may not want a second shooter they don't know and trust. 

Smart girl.

We had a relative take pictures for free, not at our request.  It wasn't a big, formal event and we didn't plan for pictures at all, so there was ZERO pressure, and absolutely no complaints to be had.  Had we wanted formal pictures, I probably would have been upset with the results.

For my grandparents' 50th anniversary party, we hired photography student friends of mine for a low price.  While their technical skills were good, their artistic abilities were not... fully baked yet.  We have beautiful formal family photos against very unfortunate backgrounds that's kind of a bummer.  I do wish I could go back and hire an experienced professional.

(On the plus side, I developed and printed myself, so they shot film in quantities that one would shoot digital these days, making it easy to find some gems in a see of What The Heck.)