Menu

Weird women-only question (very TMI)

SKL

I am wondering if there is any way, other than bc type / prescription pills, to slow or stop one's Flo temporarily.

I have a TKD belt test tomorrow and I've been having crazy heavy cycles.  I am going through product like anything.  I have no idea whether it's going to be better or worse tomorrow.  I need to be able to go more than an hour without getting embarrassed or passing out.  (The test itself isn't an hour, but from arriving to leaving will be about that long.  White uniform.  :P

I also might like this information for when we travel.  We may or may not do an Eastern Europe trip and I can't imagine the plane ride etc. if I am in this condition.

To stop the flow, I think you do need something medical.  I've had to do taekwondo testing on a very heavy period.  It was awful and uncomfortable.  I used a tampon and a pad and I still leaked through all over the white pants.  I don't think anyone noticed.  Thankfully the top comes down far enough to cover where the stains were.  If I had to do it again, I'd do tampon + pad + some sort of leakproof underwear.

• Like 1

Well.. when I was much younger and we needed to be flow-free for an evening, we used to take very hot baths. Like, enough to turn your skin pink and make you sweat. Sit in it for 20 minutes and everything would clamp up for a while. Of course, things were much lighter back then, and I have NO idea if this is safe or even actually works. It seemed to work then!

I don't know that I could physically use two tampons.  Maybe I should test that out today.

I will try to check out those undie options.  I hope they wouldn't show through the uniform.  :p

They're regular underwear. They have a waterproof lining similar to what is used in cloth diapers with a thin, absorbent core. They're not puffy like an adult disposable diaper. 

800 mg of motrin lessened my flow to a trickle; I would take it every 8-10 hours for about three days. Provera too, but you need to see the doc for it.

Really stupid question here, but would it make your period really long?  I mean, the stuff is in there, it has to come out right?  So, slowing it down would make it take longer?

Or is my understanding of anatomy and physiology completely wrong?

My flow varies with how well hydrated I am.  When I was an elementary school special ed teacher, and couldn't leave my classroom most of the day to pee, I waited until I got home to drink, generally this avoided other bathroom needs as well.  

Really stupid question here, but would it make your period really long?  I mean, the stuff is in there, it has to come out right?  So, slowing it down would make it take longer?

Or is my understanding of anatomy and physiology completely wrong?

My flow varies with how well hydrated I am.  When I was an elementary school special ed teacher, and couldn't leave my classroom most of the day to pee, I waited until I got home to drink, generally this avoided other bathroom needs as well.  

I think I'm often dehydrated but I don't know that it helps with flow lol.

There's a supplement called Slow Flow by Vitanica that I've bought at health food stores that does turn heavy, miscarriage - like flooding to a medium flow.  I'd call the health food stores in your area and ask if they carry it.

• Like 1

See if you can get a Diva Cup or one of the other brands. Cloth Diaper stores seem to carry them. They can hold quite a bit more blood then a super tampon.

Even with m Diva Cup I have to wear a pad on my heaviest days and still dump the cup out hourly or else risk leakage. it is filled entirely and leaking shortly after that hour. I didn't realize how heavy my flow was until I switched to the Diva Cup. So if OP has a period like mine she'd still need another safeguard in place.

• Like 2

The first couple of days you shed the lining of the uterus. The rest of the flow in the following days is because the uterus walls are bleeding from shedding the lining. Ibuprofen causes blood vessels to constrict, lessening the flow and making the bleeding stop.

This is good info! The things I learn on the WTM forums! :)

Also, OP, progesterone cream/pills can help hold off your period a few days and lessen the flow generally. When I have low progesterone I get earlier and heavier periods so I use progesterone cream for part of my cycle when it becomes a problem.

BTDT with a black belt exam that lasted hours + period and survived. I wore shorts under my uniform, plus visited the toilet often to change out super-large pads.  I'm not sure if wearing a tampon would be an issue if you are sparring and don't have a cup for protection. There is that risk of taking a kick in the abdomen/pelvic area I'd worry about. I never wore tampons while doing TKD. With the amount of kicking and jumping, etc., I just never wanted to worry about it popping out. 

All the best on your exam!!!

The first couple of days you shed the lining of the uterus. The rest of the flow in the following days is because the uterus walls are bleeding from shedding the lining. Ibuprofen causes blood vessels to constrict, lessening the flow and making the bleeding stop.

Wow, thank you! I did not know that.

No sparring in this test.  :)  I just need to get through about an hour without leaking.

Bathroom breaks can only happen upon arriving & leaving the dojang, unless I want to announce an emergency to the whole room.  :P

I will look for the ultra tampons and try the ibuprofen (I did seem to notice reduced flow on them) and use something extra big for a pad.

This won't help for tomorrow, since the learning curve might be a bit too steep on that short of notice, but have you thought of looking into a cup? 

Mine changed my life, no joke. Once you get the hang of it no leaks, no pants stuffed full of pad, no worrying about running out of supplies, no chafing, etc. 

I have a Lunette. If you live near a Whole Foods or similar store they often carry at least the Diva. Whole Foods near me also just got the Lunette. There's always online ordering too. 

• Like 1

This won't help for tomorrow, since the learning curve might be a bit too steep on that short of notice, but have you thought of looking into a cup?

I used a cup for a few years.  On heavy days, due to the movement and kicking and all, the leakage was *bad* when doing taekwondo.  It was excellent for lighter days.  The absolutely only leaks I ever had in the last year or so were while doing taekwondo.  Tampon + pad worked better IME.

• Like 1

Yeah, cups do not work well if you're the type to have flooding.  They fill up in less than half an hour so you never get the benefits that you get on light days.  It's straight to overflowing and leaking on everything, generally in a gush.

Aleve (naproxen) works even better than ibuprofen to stop the flow. It works best if you start taking it the day before the period starts, but even after it starts it will significantly reduce the flow. It actually reduces the contractions which cause both the pain and the heavy flow. The Rx version of naproxen (Anaprox) literally changed my life when it was first approved for severe dysmenorrhea. 

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone.  Thankfully, my flow was lighter today and I got through the test fine.  I appreciate all the info though, and will probably use it in the future.

I had bought a cup type thing, but it does not work for me in perimenopause because my period is very unpredictable and sometimes extremely heavy.  And a leak tends to be a big leak.

Never used to have heavy periods, so this is new to me despite my advanced age.  :P

• Like 5

I didn't even know they made something bigger than super plus.

800-1000 mg of ibuprofen a few hours before.

Also, forget the Super tampons. Go for the Ultra. They are way better. They absorb twice the amount a Super does. Revolutionized my life. Tampax makes a great one.