Menu

Is this tacky? Birthday party theme for kid

aggieamy

I tend to be a little clueless about things so I thought I would check here.  DD almost 12 yo loves everything historical.  Her past birthday party themes have been Victorian, Tudor, and Ancient Egypt.  This year she wants to do the Crusade era ... knights, swords, a bonfire, shields with the family motto on it, etc.

Is that a tacky theme? 

I think that sounds like fun!  We had a preschool age bday party that was princess and knight themed.  We made wooden swords and shields with knight helmets and princess veils, etc.  Of course, you would amp up the games, props, etc for the 12yo, but I say go for it!

Given that DD's last birthday party included giant inflatable microorganisms as decorations, I'm probably not the one to weigh in, but I KNOW my DD would love going to a Medieval themed party.

If you have an SCA chapter, you may want to contact them-they would probably have some awesome ideas on how to make this appropriate for 'tweens. I know the reinactment/Cosplay groups here are often willing to have a few members in full regalia come help with parties for a donation to a charity, too.

Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 9

No, I don't think it's tacky; it's historical.

It's a part of history where Europeans were pretty clearly on the wrong side, and where many innocent people died.  

To me, a "Crusades" party isn't that different from a "Boer War party" or a "Jim Crow party".

A Medieval or Knights party would be absolutely fine by me.  

• Like 5

Or you know, actually hosting an Inquisition.

That could go over well, if you do it right. Think Mel Brooks.

Seriously, a Middle Ages theme would be good, but I would probably do something more along the lines of a knights and ladies sort of thing. You can have a tournament of pool noodle jousting with children on hobby horses, a medieval feast (no forks!), things to do with castles, etc.

• Like 6

Given that DD's last birthday party included giant inflatable microorganisms as decorations, I'm probably not the one to weigh in, but I KNOW my DD would love going to a Medieval themed party.

Where does one buy giant inflatable microorganisms?

• Like 2

That could go over well, if you do it right. Think Mel Brooks.

Seriously, a Middle Ages theme would be good, but I would probably do something more along the lines of a knights and ladies sort of thing. You can have a tournament of pool noodle jousting with children on hobby horses, a medieval feast (no forks!), things to do with castles, etc.

A Mel Brooks style party sounds like a blast.

The homeschool football team here is called The Crusaders. I really hate that. Someone failed to think that through. My son even has a sweatshirt for Crusaders Football, which I find very annoying.

It’s a nice historical idea. I think the Middle age theme will be best. It reminds me a similar birthday party I had attended last year, which was very nice. The main attraction of that party was the coroplast they done according to the theme and the large posters showing the each stages of medievalism. I think these coroplast and large format printing services http://www.clubink.ca/gallery/coroplast/ ) are from Club Ink,Toronto. That was definitely not a tacky idea.

Edited by Jacques