Menu

Is there another side to this that we aren't seeing (Animal Science/Vet Tech...)

GAPeachie

So my daughter is in LOVE with all things animals.  And I don't just mean in an "awwww, how cute" way.  She is the one that finds the docents and asks them questions that shows previous knowledge and aren't routinely asked.  She is starting to volunteer at an aquarium this summer.  

Right now she is into snakes and has talked me into Repti-Con in May. Oh the things I do as a homeschool mom! LOL 

She has discussed two different paths and my husband asked if she could combine them as a "safety."  So I come to you!  I have no idea.

She has talked about everything from being a Vet Tech (and has the printed the packet from the local community college on her corkboard) to going full out for Vet School.  Math makes her nervous and she has really struggled in the past. We are working hard on it.  Teching is something that she thought would have good part time ability for when she has a family.  (She claims to want to homeschool her children which could SO change... but...)  

I don't want to set her up for heart break "all eggs in one basket thing" with vet school.   She is also highly fascinated by animal behavior.   We will be exploring these varying animal based careers as an 8th grade elective.  So far, I've gathered a Vet Medical Terminology source and an Intro to Vet Technology source.  We will also be using Coursera's EDIVET: Do you have what it takes to be a Veterinarian? online.  I'm hoping to network enough to get her some job shadowing experience as well.  

Is there anything "wrong" with her going for the Vet Tech program, if she later decides she wants to be a Vet?  Or even if she does the Vet Tech program and then wants to go to a  bachelor's in something like Animal Science? (or Marine Biology-- another packet she printed.) 

She tends to be my anxious child that likes a plan... which I get.  That apple didn't fall far from the tree.  But I'm also trying to let her make her own choices and follow her passions.  My mother tried to push me to law or medical school.  I know that it is very early in life to pick "one thing" but I know that Vet school is much more selective than the Vet Tech program... so her high school choices could be an issue, help? 

Sigh.. five kids to launch and no idea what I'm doing! 

Edited by GAPeachie

No idea, but I'm listening in.  I have no idea what DD wants to do, but she does love animals (well, mostly cats and lizards), and I've often thought that vet tech might be a good plan for her.

She has recently gotten into reptiles and amphibians.  She is the friend that gladly helps with animal chores.  A friend is known for inviting her over on guinea pig cage cleaning day. LOL 

• Like 1

Hopefully some of the vets & vet techs will chime in but I will put in my .02 as parent of a similar girl. 

My (now adult) girlie is working as a wildlife rehabilitator while she's in college & applying for bachelor of nursing programs (here they're very competitive. No direct entry; you have to do 1.5 to 2 years + of pre-nursing just to apply) 

Her work as a wildlife rehabilitator (she's been there for several years) & her friendships with vet techs and vets who work there convinced her early on the field was not for her as far as a career. Her perspective is that vets spend a lot of time killing animals (convenience euthanasia), or being asked to work magic by people who either bring their animals in too late or who don't want to pay for diagnostics or medicines or procedures.  She thought that she'd go crazy dealing with the people end of the client team. 

Techs here do not make as much money as human RN's (it's a 2 year v. 4 year program plus our public health care nurses are unionized) Vets do not make as much as physicians but they study as long & rack up similar student loans. She decided that she'd rather leave animals as a hobby / side line and focus on human health as career. 

I anticipate she'll stay in wildlife rehab in some way or another, but for her career, she wants something else. 

Oh & on the human side, I know it's not unusual for RN's or nursing students to change their minds and seek out admission to med schools so I imagine it's a similar thing with the vet field. I don't think doors really close. If you're determined, you make up any pre-requisites missed and go for it. Lots of people return to school later in life. 

oh & just throwing this out - there is some fabulous research being done now in the field of animal ethology and animal cognition so those are other areas to keep in mind, but they tend to be more in academia. 

• Like 3

Good points, Hornblower.  She has kind of pointed out the same thing.  Just from watching our cats go on their appts, she says the techs get more interaction time with the animals.  

Honestly, she grooms our cats quite a bit (and they all are fine with it despite varying temperaments) and has trained one of our cats.  So I guess, we could throw grooming and training in there too. 

As far as salary, so far, as long it is something she enjoys she doesn't seem to care what the pay is.  If it is something she doesn't enjoy, NO amount of pay will entice her.  This is an observation as far as side jobs she has picked up.  My other children have very different personalities as far as motivation.  

• Like 1

I have heard the same as hornblower.  Low pay won't even be an issue if she can't find a job as a vet.  

If she is interested in research, wildlife biology might be a good field.  The kind of person who goes out into the world and studies animal physiology or behavior or some such as a university professor.  But apart from interacting with and observing animals, these folks also write grant applications, write research papers, and teach.  

We have a lovely humane society that has a large staff of vets, VTs, dog trainers, and all sorts of people who run their adoption, foster care, and other community programs like summer camps.  (We have been known to occasionally foster a kitten or two until they are ready to be adopted.)  They even have someone who does their social media.

• Like 2

Regarding wildlife research, when I was working as a marine biologist, I averaged 21 days in my office to every 1 day in the field. I had to spend a lot of time on crunching the data gathered, interpreting it, writing it up, presenting it, answering questions about it, and then writing the grant applications to fund my next project.

In my experience, because there is so much interest in careers dealing with animals, jobs within this field that actually pay a living wage are fairly competitive. That doesn't mean they don't exist, just that it may take more time maneuvering through several less-appealing jobs to finally reach the one you really want. For example, I started out doing marine science public information, then moved to marine mammology public information, then to state inspector for captive and wild capture marine mammals, then finally to marine science educational coordinator.

However, IMO, domestic animals can be just as fascinating as the more exotic, wild ones. For example, I find a dog's sense of smell just as impressive and fascinating as a dolphin's sense of echolocation. Perhaps these animal-loving kids could start with a more traditional, animal-related business, such as grooming, pet supplies, boarding, etc., and develop true expertise on the side that interests them in an area that is not known for being able to generate "full-time incomes" (amateur breeding/genetics, training for special applications, etc.).

One friend of mine made a decent living as a boarding facility. She specialized in long-term boarding for pets whose owners were deployed with the military. It was obvious that she loved the animals and they loved her. She had specialized facilities for dogs, cats, reptiles, insects and birds. I always took my dog to her when I had to be away. She had play groups of compatible dogs, they had recess and got to splash about in shallow kiddie swimming pools, they got to lounge around on old furniture she provided, she would come in and watch tv with them for a bit in the evenings, she had a closed Facebook page where owners could check in for updates and to see daily photos of their pets interacting with other boarders and staff... She had several paid employees and usually had a couple of interns who were paid but also working to build their resume with experience caring for a variety of animals. But don't get me wrong - while it was a fun and lucrative business, it was also a huge amount of hard work and her life was pretty much consumed with it. She was on call 24/7/365. It was very hard for her to take vacations. Obviously, this type of career did not require a post secondary degree, but one in animal behavior, biology, or even business would be very helpful. I believe the US pet industry earnings in 2015 were around $60 billion (that's Billion, with a "B"), the veterinary industry only accounted for about 25% of that total. So there are plenty of other career paths in this area.

I would suggest these kids try to find someone who has a career that resembles what the kid thinks they want to do as closely as possible, then go shadow that person for a few days. See what the job really entails and adjust their interests accordingly. The more inside information they can glean, the better to target that particular application that would suit them the best. Then talk to people in that particular career to find out what college degrees they feel would be important to have. Get an idea whether it would make a better vocation or avocation. Learn what related businesses or careers would readily pair with it to bankroll the fun stuff, if necessary.

HTH

• Like 6

My dd was sure she was going to be a vet. Positively sure. We had no pets until dd was in 3d or 4th grade because dh and older ds are allergic to pet hair. However, we sought out chances for her to be around animals. 

She helped the neighbors with their guinea pigs and other pets (over the years they had guinea pigs, cats, rabbits, turtles, fish, stuff I can't remember). She started pet sitting for them with my help when she was 8.

She started dog walking for other neighbors when she was 10. She developed good money skills and animal experience at the same time.

She got involved in a farm animal 4H group through our park authority at 9. She got to care for the animals kept on the park's working farm (cows, pigs, goats, sheep and chickens) and she showed them at the 4H fair. 

We did get a dog after searching rescues and working with a neighbor who was a vet to find one that would work for our family.

She continued with the large animal 4H club and joined a dog focused 4H club. 

She helped a lot with a neighbor's guinea pig rescue and learned how to administer meds and do rehydration procedures. She provided extensive pallative care when neighbor's went out of town. 

She helped with someone else's boxer rescue. 

We looked at zoo and animal park opportunities.

I pretty much looked for any opportunity for dd to be around animals and to talk to professionals and she decided whether her schedule let her pursue it. 

Around 9th-10th grade dd told me she didn't think vet school was for her. She said she thought she'd always have a pet as an adult, but sometimes vet's have to hurt animals to help them. She didn't want to make decisions to hurt animals. She actually ruled out pursuing medical school for the same reason. She's decided she wants to be a physical therapist. This is still a big education commitment. It's still medical, but the focus is different. 

Anyway, I'd help your dd seek out any and every opportunity for a variety of volunteer experiences, rescues, rehab facilities, zoos. She will get a chance to assist and observe a variety of professionals and talk to them about educational background and career opportunities. I'm really glad dd did all the volunteer stuff she did with animals. If she had not, she might not have had the chance to fully evaluate going the direction of vet school. Better to find out now. 

• Like 4

Not that I know anything....

There are lots of careers working with animals. She is not limited to just vet tech or vet. She can start a training business, a doggie day care business, learn how to train dogs for the disabled. etc.... She is young enough to dream and smart enough to plan. Hopefully her dreams will help her stay focused on math and science. 

• Like 2

I'm going to be zero help here, but I'll throw this out anyway:  I've tried, unsuccessfully, to interest my middle daughter in a career training bomb-sniffing dogs or K9s or drug-sniffing dogs, maybe search and rescue dogs, something along those lines.  I think she would be great at it, and I think that it would be a pretty secure career.  Dogs seem to be used for more and more important jobs (not that sitting in my lap and blocking access to my laptop isn't an important job, of course).  I have no idea how one gets into such a field, but it seems like such a good fit for the animal lover who doesn't want to be a vet or vet tech and has an entrepreneurial bent.

Alternatively, if she is interested in vet school and can get it (it is awfully competitive), there is a shortage of large-animal vets.  My high-level understanding of the problem is that so many vet students are women, and women are less likely to go into a large animal practice, and a lot of large-animal vets are retirement age.  If she can stand the mess, it could be more lucrative and less distressing than a small animal practice.

I typed this post out once before and think I lost it, so if it shows up twice, sorry--I'll go back and delete one of them.

• Like 5

I worked for a vet for 5 years as a vet assistant (unlicensed tech) in a small animal clinic. I really loved the job, but it was hard physically and emotionally. I always recommend those interested in that career job shadow or try to work for a vet before committing. We did a lot of boarding, so we hired high school students in the summers to help out. Some quit after a few days because they realized their love of animals did not translate well caring for animals in various stages of illness and wellness. One went on to become a human physician, one went on to be a vet, and another I believe went on to work with exotic sea animals. These 3 worked there several summers and part-time through the school year. 

A vet practice is 24/7. I worked on holidays (boarding), we had long hours, and the pay was not great. I have scars and some really interesting stories to go with them. I saw heartwarming stuff, I knew so many animals by name and their owners would stop me in public to discuss things. I saw some things that I'd rather forget. I'm glad I did it, it defined part of who I was for a long time, even after I quit working there. 

In the end, it's not about loving animals, it's about loving to provide care for animals and all the good and bad that goes into it. You really can't know which side you fall on until you get into the midst of it. 

• Like 7

My vet says that the most important trait is a cast iron stomach! 

Even more important than a curious and loving attitude toward animals - you have to be able to deal with poop and puke and blood and wounds filled with pus. 

And remember that many vets and vet techs have to work on holidays, because animals get sick every day and holidays are often a busy time for boarding. 

I would explore and whatnot, but honestly a lot of interests come and go, and most kids have no idea about the "job" version of stuff they like. I just like to be careful and make sure I'm not implying that the course or extra information means I expect them to make a decision - not at all saying you are doing this, by the way! I just have kids who would probably assume that unless told otherwise. 

And I get what you're saying about liking the job vs pay, but that is her viewpoint as a very young teen who doesn't have to pay the rent, lol. She doesn't care about money now, and some people never do, but the fact is that she doesn't need money now. Even if she is paying for lots of her own stuff, her house will be just as nice and her food just as tasty whether or not she makes $10 with a fun teen job or $50 with a sucky teen job. 

Not to say that I would argue the point with her, but I would make sure to add some financial info to her life over time. A person might not care about having extra money, but they need to care about having enough money, and a lot of jobs are just not enough to pay the bills. Again, not something I would hit her over the head with in 8th grade, but something I would have ongoing conversations about. 

• Like 3

Just throwing a nice list your way of "Top Jobs for Animal Lovers", so DD can explore a variety of options during the high school years. :) From that article, you can also look up information about specific jobs at these websites:

US Bureau of Labor: Occupational Outlook Handbook

CA Career Zone: Occupations

NY Career Zone: Occupations

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

We're considering a similar route for DD-and her herpetology mentor thinks it's a good plan. Number 1, DD's ahead, but, right. now, doesn't want to graduate early, and I'd prefer not to send her to a four year college away from home early, but here's no local school with a strong program in organismal biology. A Vet Tech certificate is something she can do while finishing high school, and also because in DD's planned areas of focus, animal husbandry is a big part of it. Having the professional background and training is an asset, and can be the thing that makes the difference in getting that prized zoo or university job or not. Our vet has already suggested that she could work at the office once she's old enough, so she has a place to do internship/practicum hours as well. And since she goes back and forth between research herpetology and wanting to be an exotic vet, it seems like a good way to see the nitty gritty of the profession.

Texas A&M has online vet tech units that are designed for 4-H and, in combination with live practicum, can lead to being qualified to take the vet tech exam.

• Like 2

Oh, if you haven't found them yet, check out the US Forestry Service's Natural Inquirer -it's a journal for middle schoolers focused on research done in the forestry service. They also have a nice set of cards for people in different jobs in the forestry service, everything from zoologists and botanists to GIS mapping and statisticians. They're awesome materials, free, and present a lot of job options that involve animals and the natural world.

• Like 2

I'm going to third (or fourth) having her volunteer at a vet's office.  In 7th grade my oldest dd was absolutely positive she wanted to be a vet.  She had volunteered at a raptor rescue center, and was comfortable with the gross side.  I managed to snag her a volunteer position at a vet office and within 2 months she knew that she couldn't be a vet.  Dealing with euthanasia was a deal breaker for her.  On the plus side, she did get to stand in during a few operations and thought that it was pretty cool to watch.  She's gone into a completely different field now (She's a German major headed into Library Science..lol!)

Also, I think that if you just keep her strong in math, writing and science, and keep her course load close to what most good universities look for, she'll be prepared for whatever she ends up doing.  

• Like 2

When these kids are considering possible jobs after graduation, don't forget to peruse government ones. I worked for a state's Department of Natural Resources. I often worked in conjunction with my counterparts who were with the federal government. There are research jobs (mostly focused on population assessments or human interaction impacts) in addition to the regulatory ones.

Regulatory jobs can include permitting for capture, transportation,sale or maintenance, but may also include law enforcement if the species is protected or endangered and is often encountered by humans legally or illegally. Many states hire inspectors to verify that anyone holding an animal permit is following the rules for care and maintenance of the animals. An example might be an inspector to check up on dog kennel facilities or cow/goat dairies. This can be very interesting, challenging and rewarding work.

Sometimes states even have "nuisance removal" positions for exotics or dangerous animals that have become numerous. It may involve merely relocating the animals, but could in some cases involve killing them. Although many people "love" animals, IMO, most animal professions require people who are able to channel that love into being able to do hard things and make hard choices that may cause pain or even death to an animal to prevent further suffering or to preserve the larger population (killing those infected with or exposed to a deadly, contagious disease, for example).

Obviously, this would be site specific, based on the habitat where a particular species flourishes. For example, although Virginia is coastal, there are not enough manatees there to justify a governmental person dedicated to just that species, however, there may be a position for a person to monitor protected marine species there.

• Like 2

How high strung and sensitive is she?  We've told some of our children that they probably shouldn't work with broken people or animals because we suspect they would spiral into depression fairly quickly under the load of the sorrow.  They deal effectively with situations when they have to and aren't particularly squeamish, but the occasional tragedy probably just isn't going to be balanced out by the rest of the good things.  They can't stay removed enough.

Nan

• Like 1

Around here vet tech programs are almost as competitive as veterinary college (which is super-competitive and takes in fewer students than the medical school.)  And the pay for techs is not great.

Here, too.  That isn't to say that the training wouldn't be useful no matter what else she decides to do, but it might not be as easy to pursue this plan as it sounds like it is.  Our CC's website makes this obvious.  You can probably find out easily if this is the case in your area as well.

Nan

• Like 2

Wow.. I disappeared into furniture building and unpacking land and came back to lots of thoughts!  

I can't wait to explore the links and various recommendations.  She's come a long way emotionally since we've added our pets.  I wouldn't want the animal world to set that back.  She certainly has had her fair share of "Well, there isn't anything we can do now" on the various sites, shows, discussions with others.  She's just never been there in person to see it.  I don't know how she would react.  

Speaking of, I have a RN friend that called me HYSTERICAL after losing her first human patient on her shift.  She's the one that called the code.  I honestly felt in my gut that I didn't think she would go back.  But she did and even later in her career was part of a hospice program.

We'll keep our eyes and ears open and follow her interests as they lead.  It's so neat to watch the passions come out of our children.  

I was a naturalist instructor at both a zoo and a nature center. There was hands on animal care and fun times socializing and "entertaining" the animals. There was the joy of introducing live animals to children and adults in presentations. There are special events too. At the zoo, there is a team of vet techs and veterinarians responsible for the health of the animals. Nature centers usually have outside vets handle the medical care of the animals. She would have to decide how she feels about animals in captivity. Most of the animals in the nature centers were either exotic pets given up by their owners or rehab animals. Different zoos have different methods of obtaining animals. Some are more ethical than others. I had no qualms about the actual care of any of the animals at our facilities (Wildlife Conservation Society). We are losing habitat at an alarming rate and with poaching and climate change, zoos may be the last refuge for a large number of species until we humans can get our act together to better protect them in the wild. Zookeeper is also a wonderful career with much less need to be good with children, more hands on time with the animals, and much more physical labor. You also have to be good with dealing with poop. Dumpster duty (getting inside the dumpster and disinfecting it) is a real thing. Zookeepers occasionally get to do research as well.

A degree in zoology is a good start for zookeeper at an AZA accredited zoo. A zoo instructor may have a degree in biology, ecology, zoology, or even environmental science. Neither is a high paying position, but zookeeper is often a union job. Instructors at a zoo will make more than at a nature center.

• Like 1

Another thing that we're doing is going to degree planning workshops at local university bio departments and conferences. Often they're a "sign up in advance" event (conferences ones usually require student registration for the conference). DD went to one that could best be called "herpetology careers speed dating"-people with non-academic careers in herpetology came around to tables to talk to the kids about their jobs. Things like consulting for real estate development on animal use and how best to develop with minimal impact, wildlife photography, zoo research director, museum collections manager, National Park Ranger, and so on. We've also talked extensively with the state herpetologist and non-game field agents, learned about the forest service's animal forensics lab, and about NOAA monitoring of sea turtles and marine mammals. We've met animal rehabilitators and book authors and venom lab specialists and biomedical researchers, animal pathologists and lab technicians..

We've also met a lot of people who just love snakes and lizards and frogs, but who's day job is accounting, loss prevention for Target, Graphic Design, serving in the US Navy, etc. Some are hobby breeders. Some active citizen scientists and field herpers, some do animal education shows with kids. There are a lot of options for a kid who loves reptiles and amphibians-and even more for q kid who just plain loves animals.

Lots and lots of options out there.

• Like 2

Techs here make very, very little money as there more of them than there are jobs available, and they do not work with herps and other exotic animals.

DNR, wildlife rehabilitator, aquatic ecologists, museum studies, and park ranger come to mind as careers she might very much love and would give her the opportunity to work with a wider range of critters.