Menu

Gardening- What are you planting?

treestarfae

Weather is unseasonably warm and I'm afraid we will skip spring and go into summer! I'm growing chickens--24 Cornish cross broilers, which this weather is great for, broccoli, spinach, lettuce, and I've started my tomatoes, potatoes and peas are up. Garlic is up, and asparagus is starting to sprout.

• Like 1

Hope this doesn't sound like bragging, we've been in a small home inside a development for 22 years and have finally moved out into some open space and have LOTS of area to fill (imagine barren brown clay dirt - that was our yard!) so I have a ton to do.

Front yard planted and mulched with 6 beds - various things...Buxus Dee Runk, Otto Lukens, Spireas, Iteas, Caryopteris, Crepe Myrtles, Miscanthus, Thuja Green Giants, River Birches, Amelanchiers, Vitex, Hydrangeas, Willow Oaks, Spirea japonicas, Syringas, Knock Out roses, Acubas, Bignonia vines, Virbunums, oh my I can go on and on.

Lots of drainage issues still to deal with but the grass is greening up and coming in beautifully!

Back yard tho... :)

I've been designing, getting ready to order seed and digging in dirt with my "new" used tractor.  Can't wait to drop buckets full of beautiful composted topsoil I've had delivered.  

We have a new construction home and sadly the excavator messed up in the back.  An area that was supposed to be a patio is now a huge sloped mess.

So I took matters into my own hands and have done the following :

I put down landscape fabric in one part

planted multiple aromatic sumacs and Grey Owl Junipers there

and am currently by hand, unloading a ton - literally the first of 5 or so it will take to complete - of granite football sized rocks to hold the surface.

Adjacent to this will be a retaining wall and an adorable boxwood lined herb garden.  

Behind that I'm planning on making! yes - me! making a painted white picket fence :)))) to surround it.  Fruit trees and berry bushes will be along the borders of the fencing.

I'm so proud of myself - especially because...I have...never!...grown one thing and eaten it.  Plants for decoration - shrubs, etc yes in the old house...  BUT never, not once planted anything edible.  Can you imagine my excitement at having this experience??????

Woot~

• Like 9

I started my tomatoes and thai peppers. Planted radish, beetroot, fenugreek, bok choy, cilantro and sorrel!

I have some overwintered green onions still growing and the garlic that I planted in the fall is coming up well!

Looking forward to sowing beans, okra, cucumber, amaranth, spinach, arugula and carrots!

• Like 2

I haven't started anything yet though I think we'll have an early Spring.  Last year I started things much later, as an experiment, and I had much better luck with the the things I planted out.  Tomatoes and such go out here, normally, June 1st, so I will start them around May 1st. 

I do need to set up my mini-greenhouse and get it ready to start my brassicas and such.  I just need to be sure it won't get snowed on as it isn't that robust.

• Like 1

We will soon be planting broccoli, peas, lettuce, spinach, kale, & radishes.  The spinach will be taken in if it gets too cold.

Later in the season we'll add tomatoes, peppers (green and hot), cucumbers, squash of all sorts, potatoes, lima beans, and probably a few other things not coming to mind at the moment.

We love fresh veggies and plant our garden every year.

• Like 1

We're going much smaller this year. DH is usually the designer and seed-starter, and then I do the grunt work. But he's recovering from major surgery.

So we decided to try a new CSA with pickup 15 minutes away, and I'll get a few tomatoes, lettuce, and herbs from a local nursery. So probably just 2-3 boxes versus our usual dozen or so.

Can't beat just-picked tomatoes and lettuce in a salad, and I love being able to get a sprig of thyme or a a little fresh cilantro for a dish.

• Like 1

We're nearing the end of our good growing season. Soon it will be too hot and wet for anything to survive. Dh just planted Seminole pumpkin (too early), cherry tomatoes (a bit late), summer squash and zucchini, eggplant (also late), and cucumbers. We have some bell peppers already growing but they probably won't give us peppers for much longer. We also have some hot peppers, which do better in the hot season than sweet peppers. He won't listen to me about when to plant or not to plant certain vegetables so he'll have to learn the hard way. Do I get to say I told you so or do I keep my mouth shut. ;)

I want to plant some sweet potatoes soon so they'll be ready for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I've had basil, rosemary, flat parsley, green onions, and chives growing for some time now. They should all do fine through the summer and other than the basil and parsley will be able to handle a freeze if we get one when winter comes.. 

• Like 1

We can grow sweet potatoes here now, I might try them. I've also considered Jerusalem artichokes.

We always do tomatoes, hot peppers, carrots, beets, parsnips, and various greens. I am only planting one tomatillo and will do more ground cherries. I am going to try bachelors buttons to put in pots. Ivegot squash and pumpkins, beans and peas. I ordered some old fashioned hollyhocks to plant next to my fence.

• Like 1

Now:

snap peas, spinach, rainbow chard, lettuce, carrots, blackberries

chives, thyme, cilantro, parsley, mint (Our puppy dug up my herb bed, otherwise all these would still be there!)

flowers? tbd

Later:

geraniums in pots

lantana in my front yard

cukes, bell peppers, tomatoes, green beans

Much later:

broc, garlic, more cool weather greens

• Like 1

I've got tomatoes started indoors.

My three year old planted a packet of peas, I'm not sure where they all are or if he might have just dumped them in one big whole. Guess we'll find out soon. He planted them in or around the strawberry patch :)

• Like 3

We can grow sweet potatoes here now, I might try them. I've also considered Jerusalem artichokes.

We always do tomatoes, hot peppers, carrots, beets, parsnips, and various greens. I am only planting one tomatillo and will do more ground cherries. I am going to try bachelors buttons to put in pots. Ivegot squash and pumpkins, beans and peas. I ordered some old fashioned hollyhocks to plant next to my fence.

Someone offered us Jerusalem artichokes, but when I researched them I found they cause extreme flatulence and are very invasive, so we opted out.

• Like 1

I had planned to put in peas, lettuce, spinach, kale, and broccoli this weekend but now it looks like snow tomorrow. :-(

I'll go ahead and start tomato, pepper, lettuce, kale, and broccoli inside.

Later, I also plan to put in beans, cucumber, yellow squash, and zucchini. Maybe carrots, beats, and radishes too depending on what the kids want.

Our winter and spring have been so strange! I keep feeling like I'm behind with gardening but really it's still early for around here.

Someone offered us Jerusalem artichokes, but when I researched them I found they cause extreme flatulence and are very invasive, so we opted out.

Hmm, I've never found they make me flatulent! 

I can manage invasive fairly well, as I have a lot of raised beds. 

They seem to give a lot of calories per square foot which I like.  I prefer sweet potatoes for taste though

We just got back from our local hardware store (which is also our gardening supply store) and picked up Pak Choi plants and seeds for the first time.  Anyone have suggestions for that?

Hubby also got some Okra for our first time, but he grew that a lot as a youth, so should know what to do.

Otherwise, we got broccoli and spinach plants and oodles of different seeds.

I'll probably start putting the spinach (and Pak Choi?) in pots on Tuesday.  Our garden itself will get started a week from today - when youngest (our Botany lover) is here on spring break to help.

• Like 1

We're nearing the end of our good growing season. Soon it will be too hot and wet for anything to survive. Dh just planted Seminole pumpkin (too early), cherry tomatoes (a bit late), summer squash and zucchini, eggplant (also late), and cucumbers. We have some bell peppers already growing but they probably won't give us peppers for much longer. We also have some hot peppers, which do better in the hot season than sweet peppers. He won't listen to me about when to plant or not to plant certain vegetables so he'll have to learn the hard way. Do I get to say I told you so or do I keep my mouth shut. ;)

I want to plant some sweet potatoes soon so they'll be ready for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I've had basil, rosemary, flat parsley, green onions, and chives growing for some time now. They should all do fine through the summer and other than the basil and parsley will be able to handle a freeze if we get one when winter comes..

Do you live in Florida? Fascinated by your gardening notes!

We just got back from our local hardware store (which is also our gardening supply store) and picked up Pak Choi plants and seeds for the first time. Anyone have suggestions for that?

Hubby also got some Okra for our first time, but he grew that a lot as a youth, so should know what to do.

Otherwise, we got broccoli and spinach plants and oodles of different seeds.

I'll probably start putting the spinach (and Pak Choi?) in pots on Tuesday. Our garden itself will get started a week from today - when youngest (our Botany lover) is here on spring break to help.

Where do you live? And what do you have exactly?

Where do you live? And what do you have exactly?

We live in southern PA and I bought 6 Pak Choi plants already started along with a pack of seeds.

From google it looks like they are going to be similar to spinach growing season-wise.  I put our spinach in pots of soil straight from our pony pasture, then can bring them indoors if it gets too cold or hot.

I'm not totally sure what else to watch for, or how to tell for sure it's ready to eat.  I'm not even sure about what to use it in.  I just know I like it in Chinese dishes, so am willing to experiment.

I already saute mushrooms, onions, green pepper, and spinach fairly regularly for breakfast as a side dish for eggs (from our chickens).  If these plants work out, I can see adding it to that at least, but perhaps other things we do as well.

I'm fully open to ideas, both for growing/harvesting and eating.

So far I only have sweet pea seeds growing indoors. I tend not to start veggies indoors until six weeks before last frost, which can be the middle if May. Tomorrow I will sort out my raised beds.

Meanwhile I have been weeding the flower beds and cutting back roses, elder, guelder rose, hawthorn, buddleias and dogwood. I did a fair bit of mulching today too.

• Like 1

I've decided to buy a banana tree. There's one variety that grows this far south. I'm told it has a more floury texture, but I don't like bananas anyway so I don't suppose that'll ruin it for me. :p I'll have to wait until Spring though. At the moment I'm weeding so I can see whether anything I missed last year has germinated.

• Like 1

I've decided to buy a banana tree. There's one variety that grows this far south. I'm told it has a more floury texture, but I don't like bananas anyway so I don't suppose that'll ruin it for me. :p I'll have to wait until Spring though. At the moment I'm weeding so I can see whether anything I missed last year has germinated.

I just put in a banana tree. My mom gave it to me and chose the spot she thought it would grow best. 

I really don't think it's going to grow there. I think I'm watching it slowly die.  :huh: Are you going to put yours in direct sun? I'm in So Cal, it's been hot here... The banana tree is in a pretty shaded and wind protected spot.

Other than that, I've put in two peach trees, a tomato plant, and a long row of hen and chicks to outline my new herb garden. I'm all about propagation these days. I have more succulents than I know what to do with. It's awesome!!

Tomorrow I'm planting seeds. Black bachelor buttons, green envy zinnias, and a pale yellow nasturtium. 

Edited by helena

I just put in a banana tree. My mom gave it to me and chose the spot she thought it would grow best. 

I really don't think it's going to grow there. I think I'm watching it slowly die.  :huh: Are you going to put yours in direct sun? I'm in So Cal, it's been hot here... The banana tree is in a pretty shaded and wind protected spot.

It'll get the afternoon sun, morning too when it's tall enough. It's a spot right next to a metal fence. I can plant a winter garden there, but it's too hot for a summer garden unless I leave the hose on it for hours every day and that is irresponsible. I know bananas are thirsty, but it will actually produce bananas in return for the water! Maybe it'll shade the patch so I can grow more in summer. I'll see. :)

Perhaps yours isn't getting enough sun. :(

It'll get the afternoon sun, morning too when it's tall enough. It's a spot right next to a metal fence. I can plant a winter garden there, but it's too hot for a summer garden unless I leave the hose on it for hours every day and that is irresponsible. I know bananas are thirsty, but it will actually produce bananas in return for the water! Maybe it'll shade the patch so I can grow more in summer. I'll see. :)

Perhaps yours isn't getting enough sun. :(

Mine has the opposite. Morning sun, afternoon sun when it grows a couple feet. The soil is very moist.

If it can live long enough to gain the extra height, I think it could make it. It's down to one frond though. Haha!

I'm totally using tree shade to my planting advantage. Last summer it was so hot. Everything, including cactus and succulents, got crispy fried. Poor things...

Of course we have a drought here. My plants survived on mostly grey water. I was all old world about it, hauling buckets of water several times a day, every day. I just started back up with it this week. It already feels like summer. Boo.  

• Like 1

I just planted my front boxes. In one box, I planted peas, carrots, collards, chard, spinach, and kale; in the other, I planted sweet onions. I also planted sweet peas by the fence. I plant them every year because the smell reminds me of my grandmother's house in summer.

Now I've got the gardening bug! I wish the rain wasn't coming, so I could tackle the back garden boxes. I'd like to get in another round of peas next week, along with leeks, lettuce, and more kale and spinach. In June, I'll plant sweet and hot peppers, storage onions, pumpkins and squash, beans, slicing and sauce tomatoes, tomatillos, cucumbers, beets, more carrots, basil. I usually try something new; not sure what it will be this year.

I can see that I've already got rhubarb coming on in the back garden, which is fantastic because I just used the last of my frozen rhubarb to make a rhubarb-apple pie. Which was one of the best pies I've ever made, btw. What a fantastic combo!