Menu

Prismacolor pencils - TOTALLY disappointed :(

Denisemomof4

I first learned about them here but never had a desire for colored pencils for myself and saw no reason to spend that much money for my kids.

As a way to de-stress I have taken up adult coloring books. I ordered my first set of Prismacolor pencils for $75 and am SO disappointed. An artist told me her set looked untouched after a year of using them. After one day, one coloring book page, many of my pencils were totally worn down and needed to be sharpened.

I'm using a charcoal grey one right now and it's even more ridiculous than the other colors.

What am I missing? Totally not a fan. :(

Do you have a small metal hand sharpener, because if you don't, you need one. If you sharpen them in an electric sharpener or a hand-crank sharpener, you will eat up a ton of the pencil with every sharpening event. Use a small, metal blade sharpener and just shave off a little bit whenever you need a new point.

The benefit of Prismacolor pencils (or other art-quality pencils) is that the color is highly blendable.

• Like 14

Do you have a small metal hand sharpener, because if you don't, you need one. If you sharpen them in an electric sharpener or a hand-crank sharpener, you will eat up a ton of the pencil with every sharpening event. Use a small, metal blade sharpener and just shave off a little bit whenever you need a new point.

The benefit of Prismacolor pencils (or other art-quality pencils) is that the color is highly blendable.

Yup. These are my favorite colored pencils, but I don't let my kids near them. Beautiful color and blending quality.

• Like 2

Yup. These are my favorite colored pencils, but I don't let my kids near them. Beautiful color and blending quality.

I let my kid near mine, and now that's all she'll use. ;)  The color blends and goes down so beautifully with them.  We love them.  I watch for sales. 

This is the sharpener we keep with our prismacolors

http://www.amazon.com/Sanford-1786520-Prismacolor-Premier-Sharpener/dp/B004ZDL0K2

• Like 1

SO sad to hear that Prismacolor isn't working well for you. The nice expensive set usually gets good reviews!

I very recently jumped on the colored pencil and coloring bandwagon and I'm enjoying the Faber-Castell set of 60 colored pencils. NOT cheap -- I think it ran about $90. However, they are very nice to use, with rich colors -- haven't tried branching out into blending yet, so can't comment there. Haven't needed to sharpen any yet, though I also haven't colored more than 2 pages yet ;) . I did buy the sharpener specifically designed for the pencils, so we'll see how that goes when the time comes.

• Like 2

In addition to proper sharpening to keep them in good shape: Do not drop your pencils or even set them down roughly as that will often break the inner color core so that when you sharpen them, even if you do it correctly, pieces will break off and the pencil will not last well!!!!

They come in a variety of forms (including hardnesses and thicknesses) and it is possible that what you have and what your friend has are not the same--sort of like a number 2 pencil versus a softer or harder graphite core will be different.

Also possible that in addition to your sharpening technique/tools your coloring technique is wearing them down more than necessary. Some people use a sandpaper tool to keep pencils sharp as well as proper sharpener or knife. If your friend can show you how to use them in person that might be helpful.

• Like 3

I have the Prismacolor sharpener. I thought I paid all this money because they lasted longer. Some colors, like the charcoal I used today, is so soft and wears down very quickly.

I didn't even try to blend with them. Maybe that's why they're costly? Their for true artwork? I'm just using them in my adult color books

I have the Prismacolor sharpener. I thought I paid all this money because they lasted longer. Some colors, like the charcoal I used today, is so soft and wears down very quickly.

I didn't even try to blend with them. Maybe that's why they're costly? Their for true artwork? I'm just using them in my adult color books

They are for true artwork, but IMO, coloring IS true artwork. I am a materials snob, but I bought artist pencils for my kids; I bought them Windsor Newton watercolors and Arches paper. I think if art is worth doing, it's worth doing it with the best quality materials you can afford.

• Like 7

They are nice pencils when bought at a good sale price, but I'd never buy them full price anymore. 

I question the artist that said they looked new after a year, my experience is that they wear down quickly and sometimes (more frequently over the past 5 years) I get ones that have broken lead in them, all the way down. I also got the dreaded off-center lead... very annoying.

Edited by tm919
  • Like 1

Generally I'd get Prismacolor for the color quality, blending, overlayering, techniques that can be used with it.  True artwork, yes.

For cost effectiveness, I'd just get something cheap like Crayola pencils.

• Like 3

Just today, my two DDs and I broke out an adult coloring book (why does that sound X rated??) and DH's old Prismacolor pencils that he used 25 years ago when he was in school for architecture.  Wow!  They are SO much nicer to use and the colors are so much more vibrant than the student quality ones.  I doubt I would have gone out and bought a set new but since we already have them, we are using them. 

Have fun with them!

• Like 4

Just today, my two DDs and I broke out an adult coloring book (why does that sound X rated??) and DH's old Prismacolor pencils that he used 25 years ago when he was in school for architecture.  Wow!  They are SO much nicer to use and the colors are so much more vibrant than the student quality ones.  I doubt I would have gone out and bought a set new but since we already have them, we are using them. 

Have fun with them!

My husband said the same thing when I told him about my adult coloring book.  LOL

• Like 1

We have a similar quality European brand and love them for the amount of pigment they lay down.  I can remember having colored pencils (and watercolor paints for that matter) from crayola as a child, and being like "What is the point of these?" because they laid down almost no color.  Then someone told me all Euro kids use colored pencils instead of crayons, and I thought, "Oh, those poor children who have to suffer through a faded, washed-out childhood."  

And then I used some, and I was an instant convert.  

I bought some prismacolors in the US in a flesh-tones set last time I was in town, and I think I used a Hobby Lobby 50% coupon or something, which brought them down to a reasonable price.  

• Like 2

At any rate, for an adult coloring book (those ones with the really intricate drawings, right?) I don't know that I'd do prismacolors anyway.  We have a couple of those books; they are fun.  They would be much less fun if I had to sharpen every 30 seconds because the necessary control is so fine and there's not a lot of room for blending.  I'd either get the harder ones (the verithins) or maybe gel pens?  We use those pens with the very fine fiber tip; they work okay on the postcard coloring things but bleed through the regular book pages.

My teenage daughters have been taking an "adult" coloring book to church lately.  Maybe not the most reverent...  Anyway, they have been using fine tip markers to color, and the pages look amazing!  There is something about watching them fill in the lines with one color that makes the page just come to life.  Just one swipe with the marker! I have to make myself look away and pay attention to the speaker...

I don't have any prismacolor tips.  I just wanted to say that I love those coloring books!!

• Like 2

We have a set of Lyra watercolor pencils... They were very expensive but they are such a joy to use. I bought them because they are softer, so you don't have to press so hard on the paper, and you are able to really get a range of tones depending on how hard you press. The colors are so thick and satisfying. I can't imagine going back to regular colored pencils! We still have a box of crayola pencils but they only get used when we are traveling (the Lyra pencils aren't allowed to leave the house ;)).

• Like 1

I let my kid near mine, and now that's all she'll use. ;)  The color blends and goes down so beautifully with them.  We love them.  I watch for sales. 

This is the sharpener we keep with our prismacolors

http://www.amazon.com/Sanford-1786520-Prismacolor-Premier-Sharpener/dp/B004ZDL0K2

LOL, yup.  The other day older DD referred to them as hers, as in, "Have you seen my Prismacolors?"  At 12, though, she's plenty old enough to treat them well and keep track of them, so as long as she shares them with me I don't mind. :)

BTW, I like markers better for grown up coloring books.  

(Am I the only that can't say "adult coloring books"?  In my head that phrase gets lumped with "adult movies" and "adult magazines" and, well, I want pretty landscapes or horses in a valley, not ... that other stuff.)

• Like 5

(Am I the only that can't say "adult coloring books"?  In my head that phrase gets lumped with "adult movies" and "adult magazines" and, well, I want pretty landscapes or horses in a valley, not ... that other stuff.)

At the library the other day I saw a sign advertising their new adult coloring club.  In large letters it said ADULTS ONLY and the little kid behind me (he was maybe ten) asked his mom what in the world are they doing at that club that kids can't come.  We all laughed pretty loud and the librarian didn't even shush us. 

• Like 3

My teenage daughters have been taking an "adult" coloring book to church lately.  Maybe not the most reverent...  Anyway, they have been using fine tip markers to color, and the pages look amazing!  There is something about watching them fill in the lines with one color that makes the page just come to life.  Just one swipe with the marker! I have to make myself look away and pay attention to the speaker...

I don't have any prismacolor tips.  I just wanted to say that I love those coloring books!!

LOL, yup.  The other day older DD referred to them as hers, as in, "Have you seen my Prismacolors?"  At 12, though, she's plenty old enough to treat them well and keep track of them, so as long as she shares them with me I don't mind. :)

Which markers do y'all prefer?

• Like 1

I prefer Faber-Castell Polychromos over Prismacolor.  They are a bit harder (which I like), and the quality control is much higher so I rarely come across one that is off center which leads to breakage.  The biggest advantage though, is that they leave less wax build-up on the paper and allow you to work over the same area multiple times.  I blend with paint thinner rather than stumps.

I'm also kinda' loving the Derwent Inktense pencils although I hesitate to classify them as colored pencils.  They layer so beautifully, and once the layers dry (they are blended with water) each stays colorfast, so you get a really beautiful depth to images.

Edited by Plink

What kind of markers do you guys like?

• Like 1

What kind of markers do you guys like?

We have the Crayola Super Tip markers - like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Crayola-Washable-Super-Tip-Markers/dp/B00000J0RJ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1458062814&sr=8-4&keywords=crayola+markers

I think our pack was a pack of 40 or 50, though.  Lots of color shades, nice smooth tip that you can sort of lay down to fill in a wider line, or keep right on the tip for fine work.  We've had them about 6 months and they are still working great.  

eta - those say scented - ours are not scented.  I will keep looking..

maybe like these? (some sort of Crayola super tip.)  Purchased at Walmart.  They are working well, but we don't have little kids scribbling with them and leaving the caps off...

http://www.amazon.com/Crayola-80-Count-SuperTips-Markers/dp/B00M4YUE0G/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1458062814&sr=8-6&keywords=crayola+markers

Edited by wendy not in HI
  • Like 2

I tried some Palomino colored pencils in the art store the other day and they seemed really suh-weet.  Don't know about how they sharpen and all.

I still have the crayons from my childhood (a long time ago!--technically, they (and I) qualify as "antiques") and they are *much* richer in pigment than the crayons you get today, UNLESS you go to the art store and get artist crayons.  It's a whole different experience.  

I don't do much "adult coloring" -- only little postcard size things -- and I use Flair pens and highlighters.  

I like Prismacolors fine, but I also like the Lyra watercolor pencils.  I gave my sister most of them as she is RILLY into coloring now and it is a mere amusement for me.  :0)